This is BX @ Boxden.com

XXL's Game, Jesus Piece Review

XXL's Game, Jesus Piece Review
23 topic by s7venwords - 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM - Boxden > The Hip-Hop Spot

XL

From Lecrae’s newfound favorable reception within the entire hip-hop community to Pusha T’s and Meek Mill’s respective versions of “Amen” to G.O.O.D. Music’s “New God Flow,” religion’s muse on hip-hop has risen over the past two years. With Jesus Piece, Game reinvigorates this trend by framing a praiseworthy album blessed with sterling features that imparts many believers’ choice, including his own, to keep their faith without altering their nature.

The Compton MC’s record gets underway with “Scared Now,” the type of street banger that most have grown accustomed to hearing from him. In the first verse, he allusively addresses the incident with 40 Glocc, while his other verse includes a hypothetical phone call with former affiliate 50 Cent. “Interscope asking will I take 50′s call/’Hello, put up 10 mill for a real ni##a/Drop this joint album, and we’ll k!ll ni##as/G-Unit!,’” Game expresses. Into the bargain, the opener is indicative that Game’s tentative final album on Interscope would not be saturated with religious metaphors. Since releasing his first-rate debut LP The Documentary in 2005, the self-proclaimed Handsome a$s ni##a has been one of the most controversial, but consistent rappers. And Jesus Piece drives that streak home a little further. Only difference? This go-around includes more passengers.

Chuck Taylor presses on with “Ali Bomaye,” a high point of the album thanks to bang-up verses from himself, Rick Ross and 2 Chainz. “First you get the power/Then, you get respect/I’m getting so much money I can buy your ####/Take it how you wanna, if you wanna take it/I like clubs where all the women working nak3d,” Chainz spits. Contrastingly, the only leftover track from Five (the initial title for the fifth album), “Jesus Piece,” does not live up to expectations; unlike Common, whose verse is spot on, Kanye West astonishingly adds very little to the song, making his presence on the record unfelt. But the other Roc-a-Fella chain bearer J. Cole fills up the gap as he adds a keen verse on the tender, narrative track “Pray” that is illustrated over the LP’s warmest production. Most instrumentals on the record are, appropriately, soulful but not identical, as highlights more thump, such as the album’s first single “Celebration” and the potential single “All That (Lady);” Lil Wayne appears on both, contributing his best verse on the latter. “We could make babies/Let’s be creative/She said leave them tricks alone, but I’m a skater,” Tunechi phrases.

Compton’s new poster child, Kendrick Lamar—who Game shouted out in the thank you note of his sophomore effort Doctor’s Advocate—also plays a standout role as a supporting act and a song subject. On “See No Evil,” Lamar supplies a laudable verse, yet not one that compares to the scene-stealing verse he provided Game for “The City” on The Red Album. What’s more, the collaboration with K-Dot brings out one of Game’s best 16s on the entire LP. “Say it’s a blessing when you die in your sleep/’Cause the coroner don’t need no sheets, capisce?/I’m saying, stop playing/Wrap him up in what he lay in/Fold a ni##a arms, now a casket what he pray in,” Game articulates in the opening verse.

Likewise, on “Can’t Get Right,” the one-time Dr. Dre protege flexes on the second verse, revealing why he composed diss tracks for Dre after believing the legendary producer disregarded him to focus on Kendrick—even though he did not bear his young homie any ill will. “Felt he ####ted on me for Kendrick/Recorded diss records/And Kendrick my ni##a, put him on his first mixtape/I popped champagne when I heard he was with Dre/And, I’m telling y’all this true story ’cause I’m real/Dre first time hearing bout it, wonder how he feel,” Game confesses.

Rap as a sport has changed over the last seven years, but Game stands the same, kicking poignant rhymes, namedropping as much as critic Gene Shalit, expressing remorse about his troubled history with Dre, taking light shots at Ma$e (the start of “Hallelujah”), flip-flopping his opinions on Jay-Z once again (the end of “Heaven’s Arms”) and more. Even if Game signs with Cash Money (“Freedom” includes a brief interlude of Birdman recruiting him), to another major label, or goes independent, Game will certainly look to persevere and hold his fort in the West Coast. Jesus Piece is another evidence of Taylor making the most of God’s gift to him, but with friends, or how he described it on “Freedom” (“My album like a Rari, a lot of dope features”). –Christopher Minaya (@CM_3)

Game, Jesus Piece Review | XXL

Latest Hip-Hop Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

35 comments for "XXL's Game, Jesus Piece Review"

12-12-2012, 04:02 PMonline - #2
T.O.N.Y. 2289 heat pts2289

d 
space
$44,698 | POWERFUL
That cover is tacky
 12-13-2012, 05:14 AMaway - #3
s7venwords 4727 heat pts4727

d 
space
$31,637 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Dun Language
That cover is tacky
 12-13-2012, 06:19 AMaway - #4
59fifty 

d 
space
$9,189 | 19735202
Album wasn't bad...on same lvl as red...dat ali bomaye n jesus piece jawn tho? Go so hard in da whip
 12-13-2012, 06:25 AMonline - #5
Final Boss 103 heat pts103

d 
space
$5,084 | POWERFUL
should have been x#xL
 12-13-2012, 08:29 AMaway - #6
Yung Dilla 1206 heat pts1206

d 
space
$41,445 | POWERFUL
Should of been xxl
 12-13-2012, 11:01 AMaway - #7
D1nOnlyMrM@ 32 heat pts32

d 
space
$9,602 | POWERFUL
Havent heard anything bad about this one. might cop
 12-13-2012, 03:56 PMaway - #8
Two Pistols 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$1,631 | 15358670
im not a huge Game fan but i caught a few episodes of his show on vh1 and #### wasnt half bad and i dont even like 2 many reality shows. #### was better than i thought it would be

anyway though i might download this #### if its tight. i cant say id buy it cuz i havent bought a cd in like 10 yrs and dont intend 2 start now lol

Last edited by Two Pistols; 12-13-2012 at 03:58 PM..
 12-13-2012, 03:56 PMaway - #9
Melle 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$2,242 | 19728886
thought this was one of the most impressive albums of the year.. thought this album was going to b0mb when I heard there were going to be 23 features!!! Game was able to put together a great quality album which was not carried by all the features
 12-13-2012, 04:18 PMaway - #10
Mr_Plenty 

d 
space
$2,103 | 4399388
a lot of features....but thats a good album. game did well.
 12-13-2012, 05:11 PMaway - #11
white-chocolate 108 heat pts108

d 
space
$9,435 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by NO RELIGION
Just waiting for that big ghostface review
me too, simple and to the point read

Last edited by white-chocolate; 12-13-2012 at 05:14 PM..
 12-13-2012, 06:14 PMaway - #12
Menelek 5 heat pts

d 
space
$2,853 | 10249233
I really like this album. The beats are dope and his verses keep my attention. The features were dope. And it seems pretty cohesive.
 12-13-2012, 06:25 PMaway - #13
nobody 

d 
space
$1,522 | 2895253
I like this album also, is it full of features? Yeah, but so what, it WORKS. Ive been playing it non stop. Cant say the same about Big Boi album, other then the song with T.I. and Luda, beat on that one is insane.
 12-13-2012, 06:53 PMaway - #14
ice wolf 315 heat pts315

d 
space
$5,515 | POWERFUL
Ifs XXL worthy

Game is one of the best right now
 12-13-2012, 07:40 PMaway - #15
KidKingGoD 1 heat pts

d 
space
$6,447 | 16193734
This album is hard best year for hiphop that I can remember.
 12-13-2012, 08:10 PMaway - #16
Mr. Osoria 

d 
space
$234 | 1532772
I feel like he sounds like other rappers on most of the tracks of the album.
 12-13-2012, 08:33 PMaway - #17
one2remember 7 heat pts

d 
space
$2,983 | 14604572
he said....

I dont read the XXL.
You think they gonna give him the XXL rating?
 12-13-2012, 09:45 PMaway - #18
Dat_BK_Nicca 46 heat pts46

d 
space
$7,413 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Mr. Osoria
I feel like he sounds like other rappers on most of the tracks of the album.
i was thinking the same ####

y does fab's verse cut off on all that (lady)? tho
 12-13-2012, 10:13 PMaway - #19
sasuke-sama313 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,570 | 3107911
Im a huge game fan and the album is not good at all. I just don't see it being better than a 4 out of 10. Since he's one of my favorite's i compare it to the likes of (life is good) food and liquor 2 and maad city Kendrick Lamar and it don't compare neither.
 12-13-2012, 11:29 PMaway - #20
Daddy Black 2 heat pts

d 
space
$5,424 | 12223368
The album isnt that great imo. Its just well put together with excellent production therefore it has replay value. Game is annoying after a while because he has no original quality to his raps, he either has multiple name drops/references in his bars or he's biting other rappers delivery style. cant really #### with him but he does make good albums.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Aug 20 - Boy, 9 IN CHICAGO SHOT TO DEATH
76 comments
Image inside  Watching "Breaking Bad" over again... This is the mom..
78 comments
Image inside  Best looking video game console ever?
63 comments
 Video inside Talib Kweli On Cnn Going Innnnnnnnnnnnnnn!
New reply 4 minutes ago - 88 comments - by sportyloc107
 Video inside Nicki Minaj - Anaconda [music Video]
New reply 11 minutes ago - 323 comments - by Danny M
 Video inside Killer Mike Just Embarrassed Nelly's Attempt To Speak ...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 183 comments - by GameTheory
 Video inside F**k This Ice Bucket Challenge Trend. I Challenge You ...
New reply 20 minutes ago - 142 comments - by BasedWavyBaby
 Video inside Floyd Mayweather Ethers Nelly & T.i. Says They're ...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 56 comments - by MajorD
 NBA Top 5 Players Poised For A Breakout Year
New reply 25 minutes ago - 54 comments - by Chaq34
 NFL Forbes: Raiders No Longer Least Valuable Nfl Franchise...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 54 comments - by Young_
 NFL Giants And Jets Trash Talk Over "kings Of New York
New reply 29 minutes ago - 56 comments - by italiansteve

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.