Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now most viewers #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

XXL's Game, Jesus Piece Review

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
141 viewing
 Video inside Fabolous "All For The Love" Freestyle [Instagram Only]
28 comments
most viewed right now
115 viewing
 Ariana Grande Says Big Sean’s Lyrics About Her pus-y Led To Breakup
26 comments

top in section
101 viewing
 Image inside First Look: Jared Leto As "The Joker"
top in movies
top in section
32 viewing
Article inside Women 'dry' their v.aginas with bleach to make s.ex more pleasurable ..
top in wild'ish

people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

let em know » Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 XXL's Game, Jesus Piece Review
Unread 2 years agoclass of '11 - away - #1
4170 pageviews
35 comments

s7venwords 4727 heat pts4727 space
First 9 Representative
space
$31,637 | POWERFUL

[pic - click to view]

XL

From Lecrae’s newfound favorable reception within the entire hip-hop community to Pusha T’s and Meek Mill’s respective versions of “Amen” to G.O.O.D. Music’s “New God Flow,” religion’s muse on hip-hop has risen over the past two years. With Jesus Piece, Game reinvigorates this trend by framing a praiseworthy album blessed with sterling features that imparts many believers’ choice, including his own, to keep their faith without altering their nature.

The Compton MC’s record gets underway with “Scared Now,” the type of street banger that most have grown accustomed to hearing from him. In the first verse, he allusively addresses the incident with 40 Glocc, while his other verse includes a hypothetical phone call with former affiliate 50 Cent. “Interscope asking will I take 50′s call/’Hello, put up 10 mill for a real n*gga/Drop this joint album, and we’ll k!ll n*ggas/G-Unit!,’” Game expresses. Into the bargain, the opener is indicative that Game’s tentative final album on Interscope would not be saturated with religious metaphors. Since releasing his first-rate debut LP The Documentary in 2005, the self-proclaimed Handsome a.ss n*gga has been one of the most controversial, but consistent rappers. And Jesus Piece drives that streak home a little further. Only difference? This go-around includes more passengers.

Chuck Taylor presses on with “Ali Bomaye,” a high point of the album thanks to bang-up verses from himself, Rick Ross and 2 Chainz. “First you get the power/Then, you get respect/I’m getting so much money I can buy your bi-ch/Take it how you wanna, if you wanna take it/I like clubs where all the women working nekkid,” Chainz spits. Contrastingly, the only leftover track from Five (the initial title for the fifth album), “Jesus Piece,” does not live up to expectations; unlike Common, whose verse is spot on, Kanye West astonishingly adds very little to the song, making his presence on the record unfelt. But the other Roc-a-Fella chain bearer J. Cole fills up the gap as he adds a keen verse on the tender, narrative track “Pray” that is illustrated over the LP’s warmest production. Most instrumentals on the record are, appropriately, soulful but not identical, as highlights more thump, such as the album’s first single “Celebration” and the potential single “All That (Lady);” Lil Wayne appears on both, contributing his best verse on the latter. “We could make babies/Let’s be creative/She said leave them tricks alone, but I’m a skater,” Tunechi phrases.

Compton’s new poster child, Kendrick Lamar—who Game shouted out in the thank you note of his sophomore effort Doctor’s Advocate—also plays a standout role as a supporting act and a song subject. On “See No Evil,” Lamar supplies a laudable verse, yet not one that compares to the scene-stealing verse he provided Game for “The City” on The Red Album. What’s more, the collaboration with K-Dot brings out one of Game’s best 16s on the entire LP. “Say it’s a blessing when you die in your sleep/’Cause the coroner don’t need no sheets, capisce?/I’m saying, stop playing/Wrap him up in what he lay in/Fold a n*gga arms, now a casket what he pray in,” Game articulates in the opening verse.

Likewise, on “Can’t Get Right,” the one-time Dr. Dre protege flexes on the second verse, revealing why he composed diss tracks for Dre after believing the legendary producer disregarded him to focus on Kendrick—even though he did not bear his young homie any ill will. “Felt he sh-tted on me for Kendrick/Recorded diss records/And Kendrick my n*gga, put him on his first mixtape/I popped champagne when I heard he was with Dre/And, I’m telling y’all this true story ’cause I’m real/Dre first time hearing bout it, wonder how he feel,” Game confesses.

Rap as a sport has changed over the last seven years, but Game stands the same, kicking poignant rhymes, namedropping as much as critic Gene Shalit, expressing remorse about his troubled history with Dre, taking light shots at Ma$e (the start of “Hallelujah”), flip-flopping his opinions on Jay-Z once again (the end of “Heaven’s Arms”) and more. Even if Game signs with Cash Money (“Freedom” includes a brief interlude of Birdman recruiting him), to another major label, or goes independent, Game will certainly look to persevere and hold his fort in the West Coast. Jesus Piece is another evidence of Taylor making the most of God’s gift to him, but with friends, or how he described it on “Freedom” (“My album like a Rari, a lot of dope features”). –Christopher Minaya (@CM_3)

Game, Jesus Piece Review | XXL
2 peeps gave props to s7venwords Ratty Tat Tat (12-13-2012) , hot topic  (12-13-2012)

35 comments for "XXL's Game, Jesus Piece Review"

- To post a comment, join the squad -

Unread 2 years agoclass of '05 - away - #2
T.O.N.Y. 3064 heat pts3064 space
3Rings Starbury #Brooklyn
space
$57,273 | POWERFUL
That cover is tacky
Unread 2 years agoclass of '11 - away - #3
s7venwords 4727 heat pts4727 space
First 9 Representative
space
$31,637 | POWERFUL
Dun Language said:
That cover is tacky
Unread 2 years agoclass of '09 - on now - #4
59fifty  space
space
$10,104 | POWERFUL
Album wasn't bad...on same lvl as red...dat ali bomaye n jesus piece jawn tho? Go so hard in da whip
Unread 2 years agoclass of '09 - away - #5
Final Boss 124 heat pts124 space
the scariest of sites
space
$5,779 | POWERFUL
should have been x*xL
Unread 2 years agoclass of '06 - away - #6
Yung Dilla 1245 heat pts1245 space
Damn Misses renae..
space
$43,318 | POWERFUL
Should of been xxl
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #7
D1nOnlyMrM@ 32 heat pts32 space
Molotov Matt
space
$10,331 | POWERFUL
Havent heard anything bad about this one. might cop
Unread 2 years agoclass of '11 - away - #8
Two Pistols 18 heat pts18 space
Veteran
space
$1,785 | 16146449
im not a huge Game fan but i caught a few episodes of his show on vh1 and sh*t wasnt half bad and i dont even like 2 many reality shows. sh*t was better than i thought it would be

anyway though i might download this sh*t if its tight. i cant say id buy it cuz i havent bought a cd in like 10 yrs and dont intend 2 start now lol

Last edited by Two Pistols; 12-13-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Unread 2 years agoclass of '12 - away - #9
Melle 35 heat pts35 space
space
$2,671 | POWERFUL
thought this was one of the most impressive albums of the year.. thought this album was going to bomb when I heard there were going to be 23 features!!! Game was able to put together a great quality album which was not carried by all the features
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #10
Mr_Plenty  space
IT IS WHAT IT IS
space
$2,287 | 4999853
a lot of features....but thats a good album. game did well.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '05 - away - #11
white-chocolate 110 heat pts110 space
XBL GT: WhitishClay
space
$11,219 | POWERFUL
NO RELIGION said:
Just waiting for that big ghostface review
me too, simple and to the point read

Last edited by white-chocolate; 12-13-2012 at 05:14 PM..
Unread 2 years agoclass of '06 - away - #12
Menelek 5 heat pts space
space
$2,891 | 10369489
I really like this album. The beats are dope and his verses keep my attention. The features were dope. And it seems pretty cohesive.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #13
nobody  space
space
$1,571 | 3415337
I like this album also, is it full of features? Yeah, but so what, it WORKS. Ive been playing it non stop. Cant say the same about Big Boi album, other then the song with T.I. and Luda, beat on that one is insane.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '05 - on now - #14
ice wolf 407 heat pts407 space
space
$6,720 | POWERFUL
Ifs XXL worthy

Game is one of the best right now
Unread 2 years agoclass of '04 - away - #15
KidKingGoD 2 heat pts space
PLay Your Position
space
$6,614 | 17859626
This album is hard best year for hiphop that I can remember.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '07 - away - #16
Mr. Osoria  space
space
$237 | 1587856
I feel like he sounds like other rappers on most of the tracks of the album.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '06 - away - #17
one2remember 7 heat pts space
Til I find the Righteous1
space
$3,009 | 14904688
he said....

I dont read the XXL.
You think they gonna give him the XXL rating?
Unread 2 years agoclass of '07 - on now - #18
Dat_BK_Nicca 47 heat pts47 space
space
$7,531 | POWERFUL
Mr. Osoria said:
I feel like he sounds like other rappers on most of the tracks of the album.
i was thinking the same sh*t

y does fab's verse cut off on all that (lady)? tho
Unread 2 years agoclass of '08 - away - #19
sasuke-sama313 2 heat pts space
space
$1,598 | 3532912
Im a huge game fan and the album is not good at all. I just don't see it being better than a 4 out of 10. Since he's one of my favorite's i compare it to the likes of (life is good) food and liquor 2 and maad city Kendrick Lamar and it don't compare neither.
Unread 2 years agoclass of '05 - on now - #20
Daddy Black 2 heat pts space
space
$5,907 | 15003778
The album isnt that great imo. Its just well put together with excellent production therefore it has replay value. Game is annoying after a while because he has no original quality to his raps, he either has multiple name drops/references in his bars or he's biting other rappers delivery style. cant really fu*k with him but he does make good albums.

Home > all sections > The Hip-Hop Spot

join bx

that hot ish yesterday

most viewed right now
23 viewing
Article inside ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ Actor Sawyer Sweeten Dead At 19
93 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
23 viewing
Image inside Billionaire Pimps Out a 747 with $600,000,000
68 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
19 viewing
Image inside SMH, WTF, LOL, or all of the above
107 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
18 viewing
Video inside Girl rejects guy, guy then pretends he’s famous, suddenly she’s in love
120 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
16 viewing
NBA Only players with a Finals MVP and DPOY award
65 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
16 viewing
Image inside Signs you may be in the Hood!!
71 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
12 viewing
NBA Chris Paul turned into the Incredible Hulk the moment he knew the Spurs ha..
102 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
9 viewing
NBA Steph Curry Had His Eyes Closed Attempting The Game Tying 3
76 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
5 viewing
Image inside Apr 23 - Gay Man Called ‘F*ggot’ By McDonald’s Employee, Served Uncook..
119 comments
@news

^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |  © BX 1998-end of time