This is BX @ Boxden.com

Why we listen to the music we listen to.

Why we listen to the music we listen to.
topic by Sam Rothstein - 06-06-2010, 02:55 PM - Boxden > The Hip-Hop Spot

Through out my life I've always been open to music, but it has always been frustrating to hear someone not like a song I believe should be on top of the charts. I've noticed that it's what we are introduced to first (sort of like learning your first language) is what we usually like. What we hear first plays a major role in what we like, and I'm going to prove that along with a few other things. But there are also other ways we grow to love the music we are listening to today. There's a reason why my favorite artists are different from your list.

01. Born and Raise

The place you are born and raised plays a lot in the way you differentiate your music. People usually feel a bond to his or her hometown and feel a need to support the local artists coming out of their city. This is what they are first exposed to. Other regions and their music become foreign to these type of listeners who live for the moment.

02. The Radio//TV

I remember when I first heard MIA's song "Paper Planes," this song was an instant hit for me. But little did I know that the record was already a year old. No matter how much I tried to get everyone to like the song, no matter how much I played the song, no-one tended to like the song. It wasn't until the song was selected to be the lead song of Pineapple Express, a couple months later, that everyone started to catch onto what I've been telling them the whole time.

03. Exposure

I didn't always know who Big L was, I grew up listening to the music on the television. I loved Dr. Dre, and I think Eminem was trying to explain this in his song "White America" (go back and listen to the record. Eminem said: "until I met Dre/ the only one to look past/ gave me a chance/ and I lit a fire up Under his a$s/ helped him get back to the top/ every fan black that I got/ was probably his in exchange for every white fan that he's got/."

You see, I was a huge Dre fan, and when Eminem emerged, I automatically became a fan of his, and then when 50cent emerged, guess what? I was an instant fan of his. Around this time everyone was listening Cash Money and No Limit, I was into Eminem.

But something happened to me around the time 50's popularity started decreasing. Somewhere around that time I decided I wanted to become an emcee. See, I'm glad I decided to becoming because that made me appreciate it more, which leads me to my next point.

04. How it works.

See, you had fans (people who didn't know anything about the strings being pulled behind the scenes, that's why Rick Ross is still here) and you had people who actually wanted to know how the industry worked. See, I know half of these rappers can't rap lyrically, but the guys behind the rapper put in the most work. I don't know if you guys ever tried to write your own song, mix your own record, or do anything on your own, but it makes you appreciate it a lot more.

So, I decided if I was going to get into rap, I wanted to be the best. And I thought being lyrical was the being the best (I laugh at this now). So, that really made me open my ears to the music, I wanted to know who was the best lyrically, but my life was going in another direction and I started to like songs that didn't have the three syllable rhyming patterns.

05. Emotions.

So, after years of listening to the best of what New York had to offer — let me remind you I was only into lyrical music and the south wasn't providing that for me — I had a few things happen in my life, and I turned to the music. I was already hooked on the lyrical side of things, so I wanted to listen to music that described my anger and depression. I found Joe Budden.

But as of now, life is changing, knowledge is power. And now I look pass those days of meaningless. I turned my anger to the government who feed us lies. The powerful people at the top who control us and !! with our minds. Will I sell my soul if I had the opportunity? You guys should just be happy I haven't been given an offer yet and I got my head on tight. Will I become another predictable statistic? !! no. That's why I hate Hip-Hop so much right now because it's expected that me as a black should listen to Hip-Hop and nothing else. That's why I'm so open to everything because I don't want to be what society wants me to be. But I love Hip-Hop, and I love everyone who is putting out a positive message.

Latest Hip-Hop Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

20 comments for "Why we listen to the music we listen to."

06-06-2010, 03:02 PMaway - #2
The N 201 heat pts201

d 
space
$29,374 | POWERFUL
 06-06-2010, 03:03 PMaway - #3
USC 70 heat pts70

d 
space
$14,614 | POWERFUL

06-06-2010, 03:04 PMaway - #4
hurricanegamePZ 4 heat pts

d 
space
$3,990 | POWERFUL
thats the biggest waste of my life..u didnt say anything that a person with 3/4 of a brain wouldnt know

shame on u
 06-06-2010, 03:06 PMaway - #5
Lyriceater 1 heat pts

d 
space
$4,729 | 13605335
didnt read gif anyone?
 06-06-2010, 03:08 PMaway - #6
wh¡teboy 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,311 | 1907585
I don't know if you guys ever tried to write your own song, mix your own record, or do anything on your own, but it makes you appreciate it a lot more.
word i heard ya on that note.

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO 1000th POST!

to bad it was in a meaningless thread

Last edited by wh¡teboy; 06-06-2010 at 03:12 PM..
 06-06-2010, 03:10 PMaway - #7
Acid Rap 69 heat pts69

d 
space
$8,355 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by hurricanegamePZ
thats the biggest waste of my life..u didnt say anything that a person with 3/4 of a brain wouldnt know

shame on u
Why is not a surprise "Joe Budden" is the one making obvious, emo posts.
 06-06-2010, 03:13 PMaway - #8
USC 70 heat pts70

d 
space
$14,614 | POWERFUL
okay i read it

its actually a good post

:nicethread:
 06-06-2010, 03:15 PMaway - #9
Sam Rothstein 73 heat pts73

d 
space
$41,882 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by hurricanegamePZ

shame on u
Most people don't have that much of a brain. I'm not trying to school anyone in this thread, I think you guys are getting that impression.

It's funny how if someone write a page, you guys think he's trying to kick knowledge. It only take 2 or 3 minutes to type something up like this.

It's funny how when someone type more than two paragraphs, someone comes in and say I'm not reading all of that.

I'm not trying to school anyone. It's probably common sense, but I don't see it down on paper.

And I asked this question a while back and people didn't know how to answer the question.

Last edited by Sam Rothstein; 06-06-2010 at 03:17 PM..
 06-06-2010, 03:18 PMaway - #10
Playa 68 heat pts68

d 
space
$21,534 | POWERFUL
I see what you're trying to explain quite clearly but it doesn't change the fact that I

06-06-2010, 06:21 PMaway - #11
ether04 

d 
space
$898 | 4035645
damn people are ignorant ...they dont read....da govt dont want u to read thats y the new iphone is coming out and niccaz like lupe fiasco and nas dont get radio airplay....
 06-06-2010, 06:29 PMaway - #12
Jmoore334 

d 
space
$2,043 | 4185249
You Just Had To Throw Jabs At The South, Didn't You?
 06-06-2010, 06:37 PMaway - #13
ManOfSteel23 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$2,945 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ether04
damn people are ignorant ...they dont read....da govt dont want u to read thats y the new iphone is coming out and niccaz like lupe fiasco and nas dont get radio airplay....

Cause the govt is producing the Iphone? Gtfoh you !!ing 'I like to learn from youtube comments', ole 'The world is going to end in the next month, and the govt is out to get me' a$s.

*Opens up E-books from iphone, while taking a !!*

06-06-2010, 07:06 PMaway - #14
aka ReeSe 3 heat pts

d 
space
$11,822 | POWERFUL
Wait.....what?
Posted via Mobile Device
 06-07-2010, 05:29 PMaway - #15
ether04 

d 
space
$898 | 4035645
yeah idiots read a book everything is controlled...but then again this is too deep and too serious for u to understand...go sing along to wacka flocka
 06-07-2010, 05:37 PMaway - #16
MythMade 5 heat pts

d 
space
$8,739 | POWERFUL
Can someone write a novel on why we breathe also? Cause I would love to read some more literature on the obvious.
 06-07-2010, 05:38 PMaway - #17
kennboy1 29 heat pts29

d 
space
$3,572 | POWERFUL
This is pretty good post if you just read it.
 06-07-2010, 05:38 PMaway - #18

d 
space
$41,882 | POWERFUL
For people who think I was talking about the radio and TV just to have fun, no that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about being conscious and not letting the TV and Radio control you. This was a wake up thread. And I'll keep making wake up threads until people stop posting gimmick-rap, and start talking about serious issues.
 06-07-2010, 05:42 PMaway - #19

d 
space
$41,882 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by MythMade
Can someone write a novel on why we breathe also? Cause I would love to read some more literature on the obvious.
How often do you think about breathing? Breathing is just something you do, until you actually think about it. Then you can control the air flow in and out of your lungs.

How many people think about why they listen to the music they listen to? Probably about the same amount of people who go through the day thinking about breathing, which is a very low percentage.
 06-13-2010, 12:46 PMaway - #20
ManOfSteel23 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$2,945 | POWERFUL
yeah idiots read a book everything is controlled...but then again this is too deep and too serious for u to understand...go sing along to wacka flocka

Schizophrenia help ^

Thank me later.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NBA WC 1ST ROUND-Portland Trailblazer (5) @ Houston Rockets ..
105 comments
NBA Pero Had The Pacers Shook (Bout That Life) (pic)
61 comments
NBA Jordan Finally Takes Picture With Chamillionaire (pic)
64 comments
  Young Thug Finally Admits To Being Gay:"broke Up ...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 108 comments - by YSPromoshunz
 Image(s) inside These 11's Tho>>>>>
New reply 23 minutes ago - 119 comments - by Edakid
 NBA Official Washington Wizards(5) Vs Chicago Bulls(4) Fir...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 665 comments - by st21
 NBA Blake Griffin Purposely Dumps Water On Warriors Fan (v...
New reply 31 minutes ago - 84 comments - by theinitiAL
 Image(s) inside [chi Wire] Chief Keef Claiming His Old Hood Again? #400
New reply 9 minutes ago - 114 comments - by sdot216
 MMA Ufc On Fox 11: Werdum Vs. Browne
New reply 40 minutes ago - 281 comments - by Jago
  Apr 19 - Inmates To Strike In Alabama, Declare Prison ...
New reply 18 minutes ago - 51 comments - by Weilli
 Article inside Nas' Album Sales: From "illmatic" To "l...
New reply 42 minutes ago - 83 comments - by dead or alive

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,705 fans of BX and 3 new today 4,652 following and 3 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.