This is BX @ Boxden.com

Why Jay-Z Keeps Referencing Jean-Michel Basquiat

topic by Jazzy Soul - 07-09-2013, 06:20 PM - Boxden > The Hip-Hop Spot

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...rta-holy-grail

It's more than just bragging about buying expensive art

By TIERNEY SNEED

> Why Jay-Z Keeps Referencing Jean-Michel Basquiat - Photo posted in The Hip-Hop Spot | Sign in and leave a comment below!
"I'm the new Jean-Michel," Jay-Z raps on his new album.

The second track of Jay-Z's new album, "Magna Carta Holy Grail," is titled "Picasso Baby," but his allusions to late neo-expressionist artist Jean-Michel Basquiat within the song may be a more striking comparison for the rapper. "I'm the new Jean-Michel," Jay-Z raps, which is one of the multiple times Basquiat is referenced on the song. Even Jay-Z's collaborators give a shout-out to the artist elsewhere on the album ("I hope my black skin don't dirt this white tuxedo/ Before the Basquiat show," Frank Ocean sings on "Oceans"). It's an allusion that Jay-Z has made for years.

But the parallels between the artist's and musician's careers suggest that Jay-Z is not so much the new Basquiat, but a continuation of the struggles the painter faced had he been allowed to mature. Dying due to a heroin overdose at 27, Basquiat was just beginning to grapple with the contradictions of success and his humble, urban beginnings, a contradiction that has defined much of Jay-Z's (and plenty of other rappers') career. This juxtaposition is also a dominant theme for much of "Magna Carta Holy Grail." Simply put: Jay-Z is Basquiat grown old.

"I'm the new Jean-Michel," Jay-Z raps on his new album.
The second track of Jay-Z's new album, "Magna Carta Holy Grail," is titled "Picasso Baby," but his allusions to late neo-expressionist artist Jean-Michel Basquiat within the song may be a more striking comparison for the rapper. "I'm the new Jean-Michel," Jay-Z raps, which is one of the multiple times Basquiat is referenced on the song. Even Jay-Z's collaborators give a shout-out to the artist elsewhere on the album ("I hope my black skin don't dirt this white tuxedo/ Before the Basquiat show," Frank Ocean sings on "Oceans"). It's an allusion that Jay-Z has made for years.

But the parallels between the artist's and musician's careers suggest that Jay-Z is not so much the new Basquiat, but a continuation of the struggles the painter faced had he been allowed to mature. Dying due to a heroin overdose at 27, Basquiat was just beginning to grapple with the contradictions of success and his humble, urban beginnings, a contradiction that has defined much of Jay-Z's (and plenty of other rappers') career. This juxtaposition is also a dominant theme for much of "Magna Carta Holy Grail." Simply put: Jay-Z is Basquiat grown old.

Born to immigrant parents in Brooklyn in 1960, Basquiat began his art career on the streets. He gained notoriety for his graffiti work with his friend Al Diaz (under the tagline SAMO) before breaking out as a solo artist on New York's glitzy 1980s arts scene. Jay-Z, also born in Brooklyn, came into the world nine years after Basquiat, with his early music referring to the lessons he learned dealing drugs during his youth.

Basquiat's rise to fame was meteoric. A 1985 New York Times piece titled "New Art, New Money" opens with Basquiat drinking a Kir Royale at an elite Manhattan restaurant and describes his ascent:

Five years ago, he didn't have a place to live. He slept on the couch of one friend after another. He lacked money to buy art supplies. Now, at 24, he is making paintings that sell for $10,000 to $25,000. They are reproduced in art magazines and also as part of fashion layouts, or in photographs of chic private homes in House & Garden. They are in the collections of the publisher S. I. Newhouse, Richard Gere, Paul Simon and the Whitney
Museum of American Art.
While the New York Times profile captured Basquiat at the height of his fame, critics were already doubting whether his art – brash, violent and gritty primitivist portraits of urban black life – was beginning to lose some of its authenticity, particularly as Basquiat became embedded with the high-end, celebrity art community (including a buddy-buddy relationship with the biggest celebrity pop artists of them all, Andy Warhol):

But after Basquiat's show at Mary Boone last spring, some critics complained that his recent work had grown too soft, too slick - and one blamed the long shadow of Warhol.
Since finding fame, Jay-Z has had to juggle his new life and the old one that inspired the music that made him famous in the first place. He brings up his crime-ridden past and current fancy lifestyle, at times within the same breath. And while Basquiat descended into depression and drug abuse over the course of his rapid rise (and it's worth considering how his art would have had evolved if it had continued to run up against this contradiction), two decades of fame have brought Jay-Z not just riches, but st@bility. He is happily married to a global pop star and father to perhaps the most envied 17-month-old in the world. "I don't pop molly, I rock Tom Ford," he raps on "Tom Ford," referring to Ecstasy, rap's drug du jour, the same one Jay-Z said would have people "feeling like a champion" on "Empire State of Mind."

While Basquiat was just beginning to grapple with this contradictory existence, Jay-Z has had two decades to reflect on it, and his struggle to do so is on display in "Magna Carta Holy Grail."He brags of his journey from drug dealer to billionaire businessman on "BBC" (which stands for "Billionaire Boys Club"), saying that despite his legal wealth, he could catch federal racketeering charges due to the cost of his jewelry. Mostly, Jay-Z feels confident about this duality, no matter the suspicions that arise. In other places, he sounds a little more insecure, as on "Somewhere in America:"

New money, they looking down on me

Blue bloods they trying to clown on me

You can turn up your nose, high society

Never gone turn down the homie
The comparison he makes between slave ships and "Ocean's 11" yachts on "Oceans" has ruffled some critics, but he has every right to brag about his success, as he does on "F.U.T.W.," which he begins by begging, "Just let me be great."

After that government cheese, we eating steak

After the projects, now we on estates

I'm from the bottom, I know y'all can relate
But his new life of business pursuits – endorsements, record labels, clothing lines, sports management – outside (yet so entwined with) his music haven't entirely pleased critics. "Magna Carta" reviewers have derided the album's Kurt Cobain riffs and shots at Instagram after he convinced Samsung to buy the first million copies in order to ship the album through an Android app, as well as having the RIAA change their digital sales rules so the album was certified platinum before it was released. Fittingly, the album marketed with the hashtag #newrules.

Billboard's Jeff Rosenthal wonders why Jay-Z references Basquiat so much. On a somewhat obvious level, they serve Pierre Bourdieu's theory of cultural capital: that one can est@blish his or her social class not just by the things he or she can afford, but also the cultural artifacts one is familiar with, such as art, music, cinema and fashion.

It's not just that Jay-Z is rich enough to afford a Basquiat painting, he understands its cultural relevancy. So devoted to Basquiat's legacy, Jay-Z even used Basquiat's signature "E" without the vertical line on his Blueprint 3 album cover.

In Jay-Z's world, he can be a high-flying rich guy, but someone concerned with the racial and political struggle on the streets. And in that sense, his Basquiat references are fitting. Not only because Basquiat's art focused on many of the same themes as Jay-Z's music, but because their careers followed the same trajectory. Jay-Z's career may stretch as long as Picasso's, but its really a continuation of the contradictions Basquiat was only beginning to face. As Jay-Z says on "Picasso Baby," he wants to "spray everything like SAMO," but he's also worried about "scratching up his Lambo," a concern Basquiat never had the chance to understand.

Latest Hip-Hop Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

77 comments for "Why Jay-Z Keeps Referencing Jean-Michel Basquiat"

07-09-2013, 06:22 PMaway - #2
Yung Chance 103 heat pts103

d 
space
$12,307 | POWERFUL
Good read Jazzy
 07-09-2013, 06:23 PMaway - #3
DanBootleg 118 heat pts118

d 
space
$8,286 | POWERFUL
I don't have time to read all of that, can you provide cliffs? I a$sume it may have something to do with him owning a lot of Basquiat art (trying to drive up the price).
 07-09-2013, 06:25 PMaway - #4
sm00vb0iiw0nder 5 heat pts

d 
space
$19,648 | POWERFUL

^^ Wrong. Learn to read
 07-09-2013, 06:29 PMaway - #5

d 
space
$8,286 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by sm00vb0iiw0nder

^^ Wrong. Learn to read
Maybe you should. If you read my post you'd see my problem isn't reading comprehension it's a time constraint.
 07-09-2013, 06:29 PMaway - #6
Jazzy Soul 24 heat pts24

d 
space
$13,235 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DanBootleg
I don't have time to read all of that, can you provide cliffs? I a$sume it may have something to do with him owning a lot of Basquiat art (trying to drive up the price).

Reading is fundamental. Did you even read the subheading? It says right there it's about more than bragging about owning expensive art. Anyway:

Both artists had humble beginnings experienced a meteoric rise to fame.

Both were criticized once they got famous, being told their art lost its "street edge".

Basquiat died of an overdose at 27, (seems to be the magic number for a lot of musicians/artists) just as he was beginning to struggle with the contradiction between his poor upbringing and newfound riches. Jay-Z says he's like Basquiat if he'd had the chance to grow old.

Last edited by Jazzy Soul; 07-09-2013 at 06:32 PM..
 07-09-2013, 06:30 PMaway - #7
Agentzer0oo0 133 heat pts133

d 
space
$49,235 | POWERFUL
Just read this a hour ago, great read.

And good looks to the author quoting some of the lines from the album as well as the songs. People talking about lyrically Jay was ehh on this, crazy

It's much more than bragging on this LP, gotta listen

Last edited by Agentzer0oo0; 07-09-2013 at 06:32 PM..
 07-09-2013, 06:30 PMaway - #8
Jazzy Soul 24 heat pts24

d 
space
$13,235 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by DanBootleg
Maybe you should. If you read my post you'd see my problem isn't reading comprehension it's a time constraint.
Maybe you could come back and read it later? This literally takes 5 minutes to read. Anyway, cliffs are above.
 07-09-2013, 06:31 PMaway - #9
THEINFAMOUS 8 heat pts

d 
space
$35,566 | POWERFUL
I been wondering this #### too
 07-09-2013, 06:33 PMaway - #10

d 
space
$8,286 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jazzy Soul
Maybe you could come back and read it later? This literally takes 5 minutes to read. Anyway, cliffs are above.
I'm currently handling too many things at one time, and I usually have a short memory for these sort of things. I appreciate the cliff notes though.
 07-09-2013, 06:36 PMaway - #11
sm00vb0iiw0nder 5 heat pts

d 
space
$19,648 | POWERFUL
Some ni##as in this world can't even skim read some short #### like this begging for cliff notes.

World is in ruin
 07-09-2013, 06:49 PMonline - #12
knowlege bass 

d 
space
$2,371 | POWERFUL
Won't front, learned something from that and gives the album some context as well as some of the lines, like when Jay talks about "having Warhols around me" or something like that, he is using Basquiat's story directly. Good article.
 07-09-2013, 06:54 PMaway - #13
dtho43 9 heat pts

d 
space
$7,892 | POWERFUL
It's to fool his idiot fans into thinking he has a genuine appreciate for high art, when in reality he doesn't. He does this to appear smarter than he really is. Only his dumbest fans fall for this old trick. (nas uses it as well)

"oh wow jayz mentioned that one artist, he must be so cultured!"
 07-09-2013, 07:00 PMaway - #14
KiddKidd45 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$8,275 | POWERFUL
Good read
 07-09-2013, 07:01 PMaway - #15
PowerBar Ernie 97 heat pts97

d 
space
$4,922 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by dtho43
It's to fool his idiot fans into thinking he has a genuine appreciate for high art, when in reality he doesn't. He does this to appear smarter than he really is. Only his dumbest fans fall for this old trick. (nas uses it as well)

07-09-2013, 11:40 PMonline - #16
Littles0012 

d 
space
$658 | 1212577
You'd think Jay would have explained this himself in a song lyric or two, instead of just dropping the guy's name.
 07-10-2013, 12:27 AMaway - #17
Sincere730 7 heat pts

d 
space
$6,048 | POWERFUL
good read yo thx
 07-10-2013, 12:41 AMonline - #18
cankstoochie 35 heat pts35

d 
space
$11,725 | POWERFUL

WATCH THE THRONE
 07-10-2013, 12:56 AMaway - #19
buddah bless 

d 
space
$344 | 804703
Because that Zoe was dope and still is. I have a cousin in a old Haitian Kompa group who has an original from Jean in his living room. As a child I never thought it was dope but as I get older I look at the painting different.
 07-10-2013, 01:20 AMaway - #20
loyola llothta 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$3,872 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by dtho43

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Xbox store digital sales this weekend
50 comments
NFL Thanksgiving Day Football- 49ers vs Seahawks 5:30pm(pst)
518 comments
NFL Redskins QB Colt McCoy to start on Sunday vs Indianapolis
172 comments
 NFL Gobble Gobble Bi-ch.. Philadelphia Eagles (8-3) @ Dall...
New reply 18 seconds ago - 767 comments - by Kooper
 Image(s) inside Adolf Bieber Crippin'?
New reply 7 minutes ago - 62 comments - by Carlton Black
 NBA Rose Basically Admits He Sat Out Just Because He Was T...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 87 comments - by MikeJones212
 NBA Name An Nba Player That You Are Thankful For (no Stars...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 53 comments - by iloveIT
  How Is Dej Loaf Famous? (might Be The Worst Performanc...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 161 comments - by 1LynguisticMind
  Hiphopdx's Review Of Rick Ross's "hood Billionare...
New reply 16 minutes ago - 58 comments - by 1LynguisticMind
 Image(s) inside Dam Bx , Tay600 Really Mad At Me!
New reply 7 minutes ago - 127 comments - by SlimDunkin
  Nov 26 - Michael Brown's Mom: Darren Wilson Testimony ...
New reply 22 minutes ago - 108 comments - by RAZAH CUTS

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,864 fans of BX | none new today 4,815 following and 3 new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.