This is BX @ Boxden.com

The Most Important Mixtapes Of 2012

The Most Important Mixtapes Of 2012
topic by Steve - 12-27-2012, 10:08 AM - Boxden > The Hip-Hop Spot

HipHopDX breaks down the most important mixtapes of 2012, including picks from Joey Bada$$, Big K.R.I.T., Meek Mill, and more.

In the advent of a new mixtape era where promotional materials transformed into free albums, many music executives and artists worried that their true money makers and litmus tests, retail albums, would suffer as a result. For better or for worse, HipHopDX’s Top Mixtapes of 2012 list confirms those fears even more than other recent years. Inclusions from this year’s roster of top mixtapes did their duties of showcasing talent and getting fans talking, but many of the artists had trouble using that momentum as a launch pad for further success on their retail efforts. They built trust with their fans, but the romanticized vision of tapes being portals into their “real” albums was debunked. Mississippi rapper/producer Big K.R.I.T. had outproduced many of Rap’s elite with his three universally acclaimed three projects, but reviews of his Def Jam debut weren’t as enthusiastic. Rich Forever secured Rick Ross the crown of MTV’s Hottest MC, but even a press conference with Lyor Cohen couldn’t give his God Forgives, I Don’t album life beyond the summer.

Their careers are still likely intact, but the concept of the retail album as an event is quickly becoming as archaic as the idea of going to a physical store to buy them. The only acts from this year’s collection of Top Mixtapes who didn’t suffer losses were Joey Bada$$ and Showbiz & A.G.: acts whose ages and tactics shield them from immediate repercussions. Bada$$’s debut 1999 sees him paying homage to the era that came before him, while Showbiz & A.G.’s Preloaded sees them adding a free price tag to the same formula they’ve honed for years. Something both acts have in common is willingness to stick to their guns and pace themselves, instead of chasing to keep up with rap’s Joneses. As usual, the fans win either way: they get free, high quality music to fill their iPhones and laptops to score their daily lives. But what’s a victory or two without a championship ring?

Joey Bada$$ - 1999

Many pretentious teenagers and disgruntled old heads use message boards and comments sections to cry about a lack of “real Hip Hop,” but Joey Bada$$ demonstrates it where it counts: the music. The 17-year-old pairs beats from his Pro Era crew with resurrected instrumentals by legends like J Dilla, MF DOOM and Lord Finesse to recreate the feel of Rap’s “golden era” more successfully on 1999 than some old timers who were actually there. The aura doesn’t stop with the soundbeds, though: songs like his viral breakthrough “Survival Tactics” showcase a unique flow, detailed rhyme schemes and an ability to articulate his ideas that goes beyond his years. Even rap legend Showbiz gave Joey Bada$$ his cosign in a September interview with HipHopDX. The world got an glimpse of him in the BET Hip-Hop Awards Cyphers, and he looks to have a promising career ahead of him.

Big K.R.I.T. - 4Eva N a Day

With K.R.I.T. Wuz Here and Return of 4Eva serving as highlights of 2010 and 2011, 4Eva N a Day was a fitting addition to Big K.R.I.T.’s trilogy of prodigious free releases. In a loosely conceptual disc, the Mississippi youngster continues to revere the legends, culture and home state that raised him while staking his own claim as one of the future’s brightest voices. He enlists live musicians to enhance his soul-drenched backdrops, which back some of his most seasoned lyricism to date on songs like “Handwriting” and “Insomnia,” two of the disc’s many artistic triumphs. He channels legends like Pimp C for slinky odes to poon and candy paint (“Temptation”), and infuses bounce into energetic numbers like “1986” and “4EvaNaDay Theme.” Rap hasn’t been this balanced as a genre in years, but K.R.I.T. does the job as a one-man act.

Rick Ross - Rich Forever

Before God Forgives, I Don’t and The Black Bar Mitzvah exposed chinks in his armor, Rich Forever displayed Rick Ross as the infallible bawse who ran Rap. Raucous bangers (“High Definition”), scathing hater dismissals like (“Holy Ghost”), and triumphant crew anthems (“MMG The World Is Ours”) made Rich Forever one of the most whip-ready discs of the year. Don’t forget the abundant star power: Diddy, c#ckier than ever, uses the intro and the album’s halftime mark to pop ####, while Nas reminisced days as an incapable drug dealer on “Triple Beam Dreams.” On “Stay Schemin,” Drake unleashed an alimony-thrashing one-liner that instantly permeated Twitter timelines and memes. Fans wondered how the Maybach Music sultan could afford to give away so many gems on a free download when he had a retail disc on the brink, and surely enough, GFID kept two of Rich Forever’s highlights as bonus tracks.

Showbiz & A.G. - Preloaded

Regardless of its legends’ revered catalogs and influential career trajectories, Hip Hop is a “what have you done for me lately” type of game; great records from past decades are worthless if your last album sucked. With Preloaded, Showbiz & A.G. show that they’re just as potent as they were during their heyday of running New York in the '90s. “That ni##a Crazy” tackles self-hate and bad influences that plague the inner cities, “Wolves” enlists fellow D.I.T.C. member O.C. for conceptual wordplay, and DJ Premier contributes his signature scratches to the aptly-titled “South Bronx ####.” The duo celebrates friendship and success and “Berri Love,” and cements their partnership with “The Bond,” which ends the disc. A.G.’s pragmatic rhymes and Show’s crate-digging are two decades in, and they haven’t lost a step.

Meek Mill - Dreamchasers 2

With hits like “I’m A Boss,” “Tupac Back” and “House Party” permeating dance floors and radio waves, Meek Mill’s buzz was at a fever pitch: his DJ Drama-hosted Dreamchasers 2 mixtape crashed DatPiff’s servers, netting nearly two million downloads within 24 hours. On DC2, Meek kept the hits coming: “Amen” saw him and Drake spitting blasphemous bars between one of the year’s catchiest hooks, while “Lean Wit It” and “Flexing” continued his winning streak of club bangers. He also showed the unfiltered rhyming ability that impressed listeners of his previous mixtape: “Ready Or Not” sees him deftly navigating a Fugees sample, “Burn” teams him with Big Sean for a drill of verbal calisthenics, and “A1 Everything” serves as a playground for him and Kendrick Lamar to experiment varying flows.

The Most Important Mixtapes Of 2012 | Discussing Lil' Wayne, Drake & Many More Hip Hop Artists | HipHop DX

Latest Hip-Hop Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

23 comments for "The Most Important Mixtapes Of 2012"

12-27-2012, 08:09 PMaway - #2
MegaTON 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$23,560 | POWERFUL
false.
 12-27-2012, 09:15 PMaway - #3
MrDoughBoy985 

d 
space
$51 | 10480
Dat Ross & Dat Meek Was Nice..But Big K.R.I.T Mixtapes Is Classics!!
 12-27-2012, 10:01 PMaway - #4
chrismb 68 heat pts68

d 
space
$6,245 | POWERFUL
rich forever mixtape of the year
 12-27-2012, 10:11 PMaway - #5
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$16,529 | POWERFUL

12-27-2012, 11:40 PMaway - #6
Code Chaos 6 heat pts

d 
space
$962 | 6343423
 12-28-2012, 12:52 AMaway - #7
Jazz201 6 heat pts

d 
space
$425 | 4195078
No Joe Budden?

No Fab?

#### this thread!
 12-28-2012, 12:55 AMaway - #8
TheMob 80 heat pts80

d 
space
$7,933 | POWERFUL
KRIT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything ya'll ni##as posting and will post

12-28-2012, 01:00 AMaway - #9
dejordan 

d 
space
$1,566 | 3831997
using "important" is dumb. i don't care if joey badass mixtape is good, the #### is not original or creative at all. it's not influencing anybody and thus it doesn't matter.
 12-28-2012, 01:02 AMaway - #10
Thunder035 2 heat pts

d 
space
$213 | 2170145

how can y'all forget? Burr!!!!!

Last edited by Thunder035; 12-28-2012 at 01:04 AM..
 12-28-2012, 01:02 AMaway - #11
MegaTON 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$23,560 | POWERFUL
buddens tape was nothin special, that fab tho >>>>
 12-28-2012, 01:21 AMaway - #12
WCIB 94 heat pts94

d 
space
$13,877 | POWERFUL
so dreamchasers 2 was IMPORTANT? in what way? not saying it's not dope, but it wasn't important either.
 12-28-2012, 01:44 AMaway - #13
KeithClark 7 heat pts

d 
space
$4,184 | 12716117
Krit k!lled all them ni##az...I'm not even a fan of his but he bodied the year! - Keith Clark
 12-28-2012, 02:03 AMaway - #14
Philly B 33 heat pts33

d 
space
$5,313 | POWERFUL
Krizzle

One of the best projects of the year. Easily the best mixtape.
 12-28-2012, 04:15 AMaway - #15
D1nOnlyMrM@ 32 heat pts32

d 
space
$9,757 | POWERFUL
fab budden big sean elzhi joey badass.
 12-28-2012, 04:20 AMaway - #16
Chopzilla 185 heat pts185

d 
space
$10,427 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Thunder035
how can y'all forget? Burr!!!!!
The most important drops of 2012

Guwop ni##aaaa
 12-28-2012, 04:23 AMaway - #17
Hieroglyphic 85 heat pts85

d 
space
$13,948 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by WCIB
so dreamchasers 2 was IMPORTANT? in what way? not saying it's not dope, but it wasn't important either.
Because of the hype around it.

Originally Posted by D1nOnlyMrM@
fab budden big sean elzhi joey badass.
Elmatic came out last year sadly. I'm starting to get fed up with how much material eLZhi DOESN'T release. His album was supposed to come out last Fall.
 12-28-2012, 10:51 AMaway - #18
Sincere730 7 heat pts

d 
space
$6,043 | POWERFUL
Joe Budden-Loose Quarter

Fabolous-Soul Tape 2

Lloyd Banks-V6

Slaughterouse-On The House

Big Sean-Detroit

Crooked I-Psalm28.6
 12-28-2012, 10:55 AMaway - #19
WCIB 94 heat pts94

d 
space
$13,877 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Cooked Brickz
Because of the hype around it.

Elmatic came out last year sadly. I'm starting to get fed up with how much material eLZhi DOESN'T release. His album was supposed to come out last Fall.
Because of the hype around it? Hype.

12-28-2012, 12:04 PMaway - #20
Hieroglyphic 85 heat pts85

d 
space
$13,948 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Sincere730
Crooked I-Psalm28.6

I think you guys are getting confused with "most important mixtapes of the year" and "mixtapes that you've enjoyed this year." I like Crooked, but there is no way in Hell that mixtape was 'important'. No one's checking for him like that.

Originally Posted by WCIB
Because of the hype around it? Hype.

Yes. What would another reason for it to be listed on here?

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Hannibal Buress Called Bill Cosby a Rapist During a St..
72 comments
Video inside  Xbox Won multitasking at work (Party/Movie/Game)
100 comments
NBA Derrick Rose puts Kyrie Irving in the Spin Cycle (gif)
56 comments
 MLB The 2014 World Series: Kansas City Royals Vs. San Fran...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 370 comments - by !!!
  Chief Keef Dropped From Interscope
New reply 46 minutes ago - 321 comments - by youngige
 Image(s) inside New Drake Meme
New reply 12 minutes ago - 57 comments - by donmagic901
  I Hate Niggas That...
New reply 47 minutes ago - 87 comments - by tripleG
 NBA George Lopez Rips Lebron James & Nba (video)
New reply 28 minutes ago - 60 comments - by Dray
 Image(s) inside Queen Vashti
New reply 55 minutes ago - 62 comments - by woodthatdude
 NFL Peyton Manning Sex Scandal: Largely Forgotten, Even Wi...
New reply 39 minutes ago - 76 comments - by illmatic826
 audio inside Joe Budden "ordinary Love Sh-t Pt. 4"
New reply 57 minutes ago - 92 comments - by Nickel

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,829 fans of BX | none new today 4,795 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.