This is BX @ Boxden.com

Rap Radar Really Doesnt Like Chief Keef: B.Dot On NY Times Podcast

Rap Radar Really Doesnt Like Chief Keef: B.Dot On NY Times Podcast
topic by Steve - 01-12-2013, 12:16 PM - Boxden > The Hip-Hop Spot

A few days ago, yours truly sat alongside journalists Jon Caramanica and Ben Ratliff for this week’s edition of The New Times Popcast. Our conversation revolved around SPIN’s review of Chief Keef’s debut, Finally Rich. The site rated the album 8 out of 10. To boot, Nas’ Life Is Good received a 7 out of 10.

Prior to the sit-down, I labeled the author Jordan Sargent for being a cultural tourist. My comments caught the attention of my colleagues (Dave Bry, Benjamin Meadows-Ingram) and opened up some dialogue regarding race.

According to Jordan, Keef, “made one of the best rap albums of the year, and one of the best major label debuts in recent memory.” He spends a majority of his review justifying Keef’s presence instead of his music. When he does get around to the music (or lack there of), he makes apologetic statements for Keef’s technical abilities as a rapper. At various points, he even compares some songs to those of the mixtape Weezy reign.

An argument that most Keef supporters make is that his “#### bangs”. That credit should go to Young Chop. As a whole, Keef’s music represents the lowest common denominator in rap. It suggests that being lyrical is an antiquated idea and marginalizes rappers creative scope. Yes, Chicago is a bad place. Yes, Keef is a product of his environment. But is that an excuse to be inarticulate or skillful? For some reason, hipster media/writers has this fascination of lauding crappy rap music all in the name of irony. Anyone Remember Lil B? In any event, check out the podcast above.

Rap Radar :: B.Dot On NY Times Podcast

Latest Hip-Hop Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

22 comments for "Rap Radar Really Doesnt Like Chief Keef: B.Dot On NY Times Podcast"

01-12-2013, 12:38 PMaway - #2
Steve 29427 heat pts29427

d 
space
$95,824 | POWERFUL
Audio:

01-12-2013, 12:44 PMaway - #3
Arson 82 heat pts82

d 
space
$28,221 | POWERFUL
I wish actual artist would stand up and keep it 100, but everybody buddy buddy and wack ni##as brainwashed all the mainstream listeners into thinking being critical is hate over the past decade so it aint happening.
 01-12-2013, 12:46 PMaway - #4
Peterparker 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$14,001 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Arson
I wish actual artist would stand up and keep it 100, but everybody buddy buddy and wack ni##as brainwashed all the mainstream listeners into thinking being critical is hate over the past decade so it aint happening.
 01-12-2013, 01:04 PMaway - #5
CaliSteppin 23 heat pts23

d 
space
$6,910 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by SM

A few days ago, yours truly sat alongside journalists Jon Caramanica and Ben Ratliff for this week’s edition of The New Times Popcast. Our conversation revolved around SPIN’s review of Chief Keef’s debut, Finally Rich. The site rated the album 8 out of 10. To boot, Nas’ Life Is Good received a 7 out of 10.

Prior to the sit-down, I labeled the author Jordan Sargent for being a cultural tourist. My comments caught the attention of my colleagues (Dave Bry, Benjamin Meadows-Ingram) and opened up some dialogue regarding race.

According to Jordan, Keef, “made one of the best rap albums of the year, and one of the best major label debuts in recent memory.” He spends a majority of his review justifying Keef’s presence instead of his music. When he does get around to the music (or lack there of), he makes apologetic statements for Keef’s technical abilities as a rapper. At various points, he even compares some songs to those of the mixtape Weezy reign.

An argument that most Keef supporters make is that his “#### bangs”. That credit should go to Young Chop. As a whole, Keef’s music represents the lowest common denominator in rap. It suggests that being lyrical is an antiquated idea and marginalizes rappers creative scope. Yes, Chicago is a bad place. Yes, Keef is a product of his environment. But is that an excuse to be inarticulate or skillful? For some reason, hipster media/writers has this fascination of lauding crappy rap music all in the name of irony. Anyone Remember Lil B? In any event, check out the podcast above.

Couldnt have said it any better.
 01-12-2013, 01:10 PMaway - #6
Bama Boy 76 heat pts76

d 
space
$49,720 | POWERFUL

01-12-2013, 01:25 PMaway - #7
6thward 

d 
space
$627 | 1016411
He right but at the same time they aren't critical of the old guard anything Jay drop is genius gtfoh.His verse on 3 kings is straight at best but it was rated in the top 5 verses of the year Schoolboy Q verse on can I speak to you off 50 tape ####s all over dat. They don't have enough balance to be calling out hipsters when Ross can uggh 6 times and get verse of the year.
 01-12-2013, 01:36 PMaway - #8
dejordan 

d 
space
$1,508 | 3602142
the credit for young chop goes to keef. you would never even know who young chop was if not for keef writing hit songs with his beats.
 01-12-2013, 01:44 PMaway - #9
nightmare 416 heat pts416

d 
space
$12,700 | POWERFUL
 01-12-2013, 01:45 PMaway - #10

d 
space
$12,700 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by dejordan
the credit for young chop goes to keef. you would never even know who young chop was if not for keef writing hit songs with his beats.
this is exactly what they were just talking about, trying to justify Keef's presence and not his talent
 01-12-2013, 01:57 PMaway - #11
bigree61 

d 
space
$13,380 | POWERFUL
i beat this lame will also tell you ross is a good rapper

and that em makes great music
 01-12-2013, 01:58 PMaway - #12
bnw99 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$4,863 | POWERFUL
 01-12-2013, 02:16 PMaway - #13

d 
space
$12,700 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by bigree61
i beat this lame will also tell you ross is a good rapper

and that em makes great music
stop cryin
 01-12-2013, 06:11 PMaway - #14
Parkchester 112 heat pts112

d 
space
$16,564 | POWERFUL
ni##as is hating my son keef got bars ni##a
 01-12-2013, 06:24 PMaway - #15
Kap(Da)King|M 4 heat pts

d 
space
$7,089 | POWERFUL
lol @ "keef got bars" ...nah keef got beats
 01-12-2013, 06:27 PMaway - #16
dejordan 

d 
space
$1,508 | 3602142
Originally Posted by nightmare
this is exactly what they were just talking about, trying to justify Keef's presence and not his talent

didnt listen but im not justifying ####. keef has undeniable talent.
 01-12-2013, 07:12 PMaway - #17

d 
space
$12,700 | POWERFUL
you got to be kidding me
 01-12-2013, 07:40 PMaway - #18
verbaldesypher 

d 
space
$565 | 340199
Originally Posted by 6thward
He right but at the same time they aren't critical of the old guard anything Jay drop is genius gtfoh.His verse on 3 kings is straight at best but it was rated in the top 5 verses of the year Schoolboy Q verse on can I speak to you off 50 tape ####s all over dat. They don't have enough balance to be calling out hipsters when Ross can uggh 6 times and get verse of the year.
Who the #### rated that trash Top 5?

That verse was a$s, worst Jay verse I've heard. #### is ####ing terrible. Saying its straight is a disservice to an average verse
 01-12-2013, 08:14 PMaway - #19
CosbySweater 176 heat pts176

d 
space
$21,981 | POWERFUL
 01-12-2013, 08:14 PMaway - #20
BrooklynWHAT 1 heat pts

d 
space
$623 | 1883245
rapradar is #### made as ####. i'm glad noz ####s on them on the regular.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NFL Falcons Vs Bucs week 3
762 comments
Name a comic book character you'd wanna see a movie made out of?
54 comments
Image inside  Love & Basketball 2 Coming February 2015
51 comments
  Name The 3 Biggest Mysteries In Hip Hop
New reply 3 minutes ago - 169 comments - by DASKCREW1
 Video inside Ray-j Da Gawd Out Here Gaming These Broads
New reply 11 minutes ago - 82 comments - by PrisonRules
 NFL Who Is The Most Overrated Quarterback In The Nfl?
New reply 5 minutes ago - 123 comments - by prettyklever
 Image(s) inside Iconic Photo Taken Of ( G-unit ) Right After Laying 50...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 98 comments - by ajeana
 Article inside 2014 Bet Hip-hop Awards Cypher Lineup Announced
New reply 8 minutes ago - 133 comments - by Steve
 NBA First Look: Washed Up Paul Pierce In A Wiz Uniform (pic)
New reply 20 minutes ago - 56 comments - by Bkjj11
 Image(s) inside Who The Hell Is Holding The Umbrella?
New reply 9 minutes ago - 60 comments - by Mr Harrow
 Image(s) inside Sep 18 - Magic Johnson Donates Blood To Leukemia And L...
New reply 21 minutes ago - 78 comments - by davilla24c

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.