Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now popular now #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

Rap Radar Really Doesnt Like Chief Keef: B.Dot On NY Times Podcast

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
91 viewing
 Article inside 42 ADMITTED False Flag Attacks  
55 comments
most viewed right now
39 viewing
 Image inside Afeni Skakur Announces Name & Features For New 2Pa..
86 comments

top in section
14 viewing
 Video inside What made you laugh the hardest in your entire life?
top in movies
top in section
17 viewing
 Video inside What is Iggy trying to say Translated
top in hiphop

people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  
 
 

let em know » Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 Rap Radar Really Doesnt Like Chief Keef: B.Dot On NY Times Podcast
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:16 PMJoined Jul 2006 - away - #1
1432 pageviews
22 comments


Steve 30762 heat pts30762 space
avatar space
Boxden GOAT
space
$100,258 | POWERFUL

A few days ago, yours truly sat alongside journalists Jon Caramanica and Ben Ratliff for this week’s edition of The New Times Popcast. Our conversation revolved around SPIN’s review of Chief Keef’s debut, Finally Rich. The site rated the album 8 out of 10. To boot, Nas’ Life Is Good received a 7 out of 10.

Prior to the sit-down, I labeled the author Jordan Sargent for being a cultural tourist. My comments caught the attention of my colleagues (Dave Bry, Benjamin Meadows-Ingram) and opened up some dialogue regarding race.

According to Jordan, Keef, “made one of the best rap albums of the year, and one of the best major label debuts in recent memory.” He spends a majority of his review justifying Keef’s presence instead of his music. When he does get around to the music (or lack there of), he makes apologetic statements for Keef’s technical abilities as a rapper. At various points, he even compares some songs to those of the mixtape Weezy reign.

An argument that most Keef supporters make is that his “sh-t bangs”. That credit should go to Young Chop. As a whole, Keef’s music represents the lowest common denominator in rap. It suggests that being lyrical is an antiquated idea and marginalizes rappers creative scope. Yes, Chicago is a bad place. Yes, Keef is a product of his environment. But is that an excuse to be inarticulate or skillful? For some reason, hipster media/writers has this fascination of lauding crappy rap music all in the name of irony. Anyone Remember Lil B? In any event, check out the podcast above.

Rap Radar :: B.Dot On NY Times Podcast
Reply With Quote
The Following BX resident gave props to Steve (Sent To 9,446 Subscribers)  HOT TOPIC  (01-12-2013)

22 comments for "Rap Radar Really Doesnt Like Chief Keef: B.Dot On NY Times Podcast"

- To post a comment, join the squad -


Unread 01-12-2013, 12:38 PMJoined Jul 2006 - away - #2
Steve 30762 heat pts30762 space
avatar space
Boxden GOAT
space
$100,258 | POWERFUL
Audio:

Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:44 PMJoined Mar 2008 - away - #3
Arson 82 heat pts82 space
avatar space
sh*t Skressful Bruh
space
$30,533 | POWERFUL
I wish actual artist would stand up and keep it 100, but everybody buddy buddy and wack n*ggas brainwashed all the mainstream listeners into thinking being critical is hate over the past decade so it aint happening.
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:46 PMJoined Apr 2005 - away - #4
Peterparker 18 heat pts18 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$15,810 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Arson
I wish actual artist would stand up and keep it 100, but everybody buddy buddy and wack n*ggas brainwashed all the mainstream listeners into thinking being critical is hate over the past decade so it aint happening.
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:04 PMJoined Dec 2012 - away - #5
CaliSteppin 27 heat pts27 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$7,319 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by SM


A few days ago, yours truly sat alongside journalists Jon Caramanica and Ben Ratliff for this week’s edition of The New Times Popcast. Our conversation revolved around SPIN’s review of Chief Keef’s debut, Finally Rich. The site rated the album 8 out of 10. To boot, Nas’ Life Is Good received a 7 out of 10.

Prior to the sit-down, I labeled the author Jordan Sargent for being a cultural tourist. My comments caught the attention of my colleagues (Dave Bry, Benjamin Meadows-Ingram) and opened up some dialogue regarding race.

According to Jordan, Keef, “made one of the best rap albums of the year, and one of the best major label debuts in recent memory.” He spends a majority of his review justifying Keef’s presence instead of his music. When he does get around to the music (or lack there of), he makes apologetic statements for Keef’s technical abilities as a rapper. At various points, he even compares some songs to those of the mixtape Weezy reign.

An argument that most Keef supporters make is that his “sh-t bangs”. That credit should go to Young Chop. As a whole, Keef’s music represents the lowest common denominator in rap. It suggests that being lyrical is an antiquated idea and marginalizes rappers creative scope. Yes, Chicago is a bad place. Yes, Keef is a product of his environment. But is that an excuse to be inarticulate or skillful? For some reason, hipster media/writers has this fascination of lauding crappy rap music all in the name of irony. Anyone Remember Lil B? In any event, check out the podcast above.

Couldnt have said it any better.
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:10 PMJoined May 2006 - away - #6
Bama Boy 80 heat pts80 space
avatar space
ROLL TIDE!!!!
space
$50,598 | POWERFUL







Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:25 PMJoined May 2006 - away - #7
6thward  space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$633 | 1115207
He right but at the same time they aren't critical of the old guard anything Jay drop is genius gtfoh.His verse on 3 kings is straight at best but it was rated in the top 5 verses of the year Schoolboy Q verse on can I speak to you off 50 tape sh*ts all over dat. They don't have enough balance to be calling out hipsters when Ross can uggh 6 times and get verse of the year.
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:36 PMJoined Dec 2011 - away - #8
dejordan  space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$1,729 | 4015225
the credit for young chop goes to keef. you would never even know who young chop was if not for keef writing hit songs with his beats.
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:44 PMJoined Dec 2006 - away - #9
nightmare 429 heat pts429 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$13,052 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Arson
I wish actual artist would stand up and keep it 100, but everybody buddy buddy and wack n*ggas brainwashed all the mainstream listeners into thinking being critical is hate over the past decade so it aint happening.
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:45 PMJoined Dec 2006 - away - #10
nightmare 429 heat pts429 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$13,052 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by dejordan
the credit for young chop goes to keef. you would never even know who young chop was if not for keef writing hit songs with his beats.
this is exactly what they were just talking about, trying to justify Keef's presence and not his talent
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:57 PMJoined Jan 2007 - away - #11
bigree61  space
avatar space
Registered User
space
$13,380 | POWERFUL
i beat this lame will also tell you ross is a good rapper

and that em makes great music
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 01:58 PMJoined Feb 2004 - away - #12
bnw99 12 heat pts12 space
avatar space
Ajiuo Enob
space
$5,018 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Arson
I wish actual artist would stand up and keep it 100, but everybody buddy buddy and wack n*ggas brainwashed all the mainstream listeners into thinking being critical is hate over the past decade so it aint happening.

Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:16 PMJoined Dec 2006 - away - #13
nightmare 429 heat pts429 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$13,052 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by bigree61
i beat this lame will also tell you ross is a good rapper

and that em makes great music
stop cryin
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:11 PMJoined Mar 2006 - away - #14
Parkchester 115 heat pts115 space
avatar space
"JIVE a.ss MUTHAPHUCKA!!"
space
$17,843 | POWERFUL
n*ggas is hating my son keef got bars n*gga
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:24 PMJoined May 2004 - away - #15
Kap(Da)King|M 4 heat pts space
avatar space
Konsole Kingz
space
$7,089 | POWERFUL
lol @ "keef got bars" ...nah keef got beats
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:27 PMJoined Dec 2011 - away - #16
dejordan  space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$1,729 | 4015225
Originally Posted by nightmare
this is exactly what they were just talking about, trying to justify Keef's presence and not his talent

didnt listen but im not justifying sh*t. keef has undeniable talent.
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 07:12 PMJoined Dec 2006 - away - #17
nightmare 429 heat pts429 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$13,052 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by dejordan
didnt listen but im not justifying sh*t. keef has undeniable talent.
you got to be kidding me
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 07:40 PMJoined Oct 2004 - away - #18
verbaldesypher  space
avatar space
Screwed Up!!
space
$566 | 340199
Originally Posted by 6thward
He right but at the same time they aren't critical of the old guard anything Jay drop is genius gtfoh.His verse on 3 kings is straight at best but it was rated in the top 5 verses of the year Schoolboy Q verse on can I speak to you off 50 tape sh*ts all over dat. They don't have enough balance to be calling out hipsters when Ross can uggh 6 times and get verse of the year.
Who the fu*k rated that trash Top 5?

That verse was a.ss, worst Jay verse I've heard. sh*t is fu*king terrible. Saying its straight is a disservice to an average verse
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:14 PMJoined Jul 2012 - away - #19
CosbySweater 204 heat pts204 space
avatar space
.
space
$25,706 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by dejordan
didnt listen but im not justifying sh*t. keef has undeniable talent.
....................................................................
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:14 PMJoined Apr 2007 - away - #20
BrooklynWHAT 1 heat pts space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$623 | 1883245
rapradar is bi*ch made as fu*k. i'm glad noz sh*ts on them on the regular.
Reply With Quote
 

Home > all sections > The Hip-Hop Spot
  
    
          join bx


 




that hot ish yesterday


most viewed right now
28 viewing
Video inside SMACK/URL Rookies vs Vets [DISCUSSION THREAD/UPDATES]
608 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
14 viewing
Image inside The things I would do to her  
22 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
13 viewing
Image inside what must I say, what must I do.....  
22 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
10 viewing
Image inside R.I.P OTF Chino  
228 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
9 viewing
Image inside Mar 26 - Mom traded 11-year-old daughter for sex t..
37 comments
@news
most viewed right now
8 viewing
Image inside Mar 27 - Breaking: Amanda Knox murder conviction o..
59 comments
@news
most viewed right now
8 viewing
Image inside Sosa X Dame #Legendary  
43 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
6 viewing
Image inside Mar 28 - Audio With Student’s Last Words To Cop Re..
123 comments
@news
most viewed right now
5 viewing
Article inside Report: Immortal Technique Arrested for Alleged R..
33 comments
@hiphop

^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |  © BX 1998-end of time