Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now popular now #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

Rap Radar Really Doesnt Like Chief Keef: B.Dot On NY Times Podcast

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
96 viewing
 Article inside Jamaica Among Countries With the Largest Pen1ses ..
123 comments
most viewed right now
89 viewing
Audio inside Kanye west - all day (radio rip)  
159 comments

top in section
29 viewing
 NFL Report: Randall Cobb NOW seeking $12 million per year
top in sports
top in section
62 viewing
 Image inside Someone stole the idea and ran with it. Boxden not ev..
top in wild'ish

people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

let em know » Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 Rap Radar Really Doesnt Like Chief Keef: B.Dot On NY Times Podcast
topic by Steve - 01-12-2013, 01:16 PM

A few days ago, yours truly sat alongside journalists Jon Caramanica and Ben Ratliff for this week’s edition of The New Times Popcast. Our conversation revolved around SPIN’s review of Chief Keef’s debut, Finally Rich. The site rated the album 8 out of 10. To boot, Nas’ Life Is Good received a 7 out of 10.

Prior to the sit-down, I labeled the author Jordan Sargent for being a cultural tourist. My comments caught the attention of my colleagues (Dave Bry, Benjamin Meadows-Ingram) and opened up some dialogue regarding race.

According to Jordan, Keef, “made one of the best rap albums of the year, and one of the best major label debuts in recent memory.” He spends a majority of his review justifying Keef’s presence instead of his music. When he does get around to the music (or lack there of), he makes apologetic statements for Keef’s technical abilities as a rapper. At various points, he even compares some songs to those of the mixtape Weezy reign.

An argument that most Keef supporters make is that his “sh-t bangs”. That credit should go to Young Chop. As a whole, Keef’s music represents the lowest common denominator in rap. It suggests that being lyrical is an antiquated idea and marginalizes rappers creative scope. Yes, Chicago is a bad place. Yes, Keef is a product of his environment. But is that an excuse to be inarticulate or skillful? For some reason, hipster media/writers has this fascination of lauding crappy rap music all in the name of irony. Anyone Remember Lil B? In any event, check out the podcast above.

Rap Radar :: B.Dot On NY Times Podcast

The Following BX resident gave props to Steve (Sent To 9,446 Subscribers)  HEAT HOT TOPIC (Blog'd,RSS'd,Tweet'd and Facebook'd)  (01-12-2013)

22 comments for "Rap Radar Really Doesnt Like Chief Keef: B.Dot On NY Times Podcast"

- To post a comment, join the squad -

01-12-2013, 01:38 PMaway - #2
Steve 30299 heat pts30299 space
space
$99,128 | POWERFUL
Audio:

01-12-2013, 01:44 PMonline - #3
Arson 82 heat pts82 space
space
$30,122 | POWERFUL
I wish actual artist would stand up and keep it 100, but everybody buddy buddy and wack n*ggas brainwashed all the mainstream listeners into thinking being critical is hate over the past decade so it aint happening.
 01-12-2013, 01:46 PMaway - #4
Peterparker 17 heat pts17 space
space
$15,601 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Arson
I wish actual artist would stand up and keep it 100, but everybody buddy buddy and wack n*ggas brainwashed all the mainstream listeners into thinking being critical is hate over the past decade so it aint happening.
 01-12-2013, 02:04 PMonline - #5
CaliSteppin 26 heat pts26 space
space
$7,260 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by SM

A few days ago, yours truly sat alongside journalists Jon Caramanica and Ben Ratliff for this week’s edition of The New Times Popcast. Our conversation revolved around SPIN’s review of Chief Keef’s debut, Finally Rich. The site rated the album 8 out of 10. To boot, Nas’ Life Is Good received a 7 out of 10.

Prior to the sit-down, I labeled the author Jordan Sargent for being a cultural tourist. My comments caught the attention of my colleagues (Dave Bry, Benjamin Meadows-Ingram) and opened up some dialogue regarding race.

According to Jordan, Keef, “made one of the best rap albums of the year, and one of the best major label debuts in recent memory.” He spends a majority of his review justifying Keef’s presence instead of his music. When he does get around to the music (or lack there of), he makes apologetic statements for Keef’s technical abilities as a rapper. At various points, he even compares some songs to those of the mixtape Weezy reign.

An argument that most Keef supporters make is that his “sh-t bangs”. That credit should go to Young Chop. As a whole, Keef’s music represents the lowest common denominator in rap. It suggests that being lyrical is an antiquated idea and marginalizes rappers creative scope. Yes, Chicago is a bad place. Yes, Keef is a product of his environment. But is that an excuse to be inarticulate or skillful? For some reason, hipster media/writers has this fascination of lauding crappy rap music all in the name of irony. Anyone Remember Lil B? In any event, check out the podcast above.

Couldnt have said it any better.
 01-12-2013, 02:10 PMaway - #6
Bama Boy 79 heat pts79 space
space
$50,499 | POWERFUL

01-12-2013, 02:25 PMaway - #7
6thward  space
space
$633 | 1115207
He right but at the same time they aren't critical of the old guard anything Jay drop is genius gtfoh.His verse on 3 kings is straight at best but it was rated in the top 5 verses of the year Schoolboy Q verse on can I speak to you off 50 tape sh*ts all over dat. They don't have enough balance to be calling out hipsters when Ross can uggh 6 times and get verse of the year.
 01-12-2013, 02:36 PMaway - #8
dejordan  space
space
$1,706 | 4011800
the credit for young chop goes to keef. you would never even know who young chop was if not for keef writing hit songs with his beats.
 01-12-2013, 02:44 PMaway - #9
nightmare 428 heat pts428 space
space
$13,051 | POWERFUL
 01-12-2013, 02:45 PMaway - #10
space
$13,051 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by dejordan
the credit for young chop goes to keef. you would never even know who young chop was if not for keef writing hit songs with his beats.
this is exactly what they were just talking about, trying to justify Keef's presence and not his talent
 01-12-2013, 02:57 PMaway - #11
bigree61  space
space
$13,380 | POWERFUL
i beat this lame will also tell you ross is a good rapper

and that em makes great music
 01-12-2013, 02:58 PMaway - #12
bnw99 12 heat pts12 space
space
$5,008 | POWERFUL
 01-12-2013, 03:16 PMaway - #13
space
$13,051 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by bigree61
i beat this lame will also tell you ross is a good rapper

and that em makes great music
stop cryin
 01-12-2013, 07:11 PMaway - #14
Parkchester 115 heat pts115 space
space
$17,692 | POWERFUL
n*ggas is hating my son keef got bars n*gga
 01-12-2013, 07:24 PMaway - #15
Kap(Da)King|M 4 heat pts space
space
$7,089 | POWERFUL
lol @ "keef got bars" ...nah keef got beats
 01-12-2013, 07:27 PMaway - #16
dejordan  space
space
$1,706 | 4011800
Originally Posted by nightmare
this is exactly what they were just talking about, trying to justify Keef's presence and not his talent

didnt listen but im not justifying sh*t. keef has undeniable talent.
 01-12-2013, 08:12 PMaway - #17
space
$13,051 | POWERFUL
you got to be kidding me
 01-12-2013, 08:40 PMaway - #18
verbaldesypher  space
space
$566 | 340199
Originally Posted by 6thward
He right but at the same time they aren't critical of the old guard anything Jay drop is genius gtfoh.His verse on 3 kings is straight at best but it was rated in the top 5 verses of the year Schoolboy Q verse on can I speak to you off 50 tape sh*ts all over dat. They don't have enough balance to be calling out hipsters when Ross can uggh 6 times and get verse of the year.
Who the fu*k rated that trash Top 5?

That verse was a.ss, worst Jay verse I've heard. sh*t is fu*king terrible. Saying its straight is a disservice to an average verse
 01-12-2013, 09:14 PMaway - #19
CosbySweater 197 heat pts197 space
space
$25,252 | POWERFUL
............................................................ ........
 01-12-2013, 09:14 PMaway - #20
BrooklynWHAT 1 heat pts space
space
$623 | 1883245
rapradar is bi*ch made as fu*k. i'm glad noz sh*ts on them on the regular.

Home > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot

join bx

that hot ish yesterday

most viewed right now
47 viewing
NBA Lebron James on suicide watch  
149 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
37 viewing
There's a website that documents people's last tweet befor..
57 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
36 viewing
Video inside Sis homie quan just jigged out the closet.
142 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
29 viewing
Video inside Funniest Scared Straight Video  
72 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
26 viewing
Image inside Mar 1 - More mysterious holes are appearing in Sib..
37 comments
@news
most viewed right now
20 viewing
whats the most fu-ked up movie you've ever watched?
153 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
15 viewing
Video inside can you tell which sneakers are real and which are ..
38 comments
@gear
most viewed right now
14 viewing
Image inside " I saved a generation of kids from being weirdos"..
128 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
12 viewing
NBA Robert Flores ethers Iggy  
120 comments
@sports

contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   mobile   |   privacy   |   search   |  © BX 1998-end of time.