Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now popular now #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

Lupe Fiasco - Around My Way [Video]

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
114 viewing
 Video inside SMACK/URL Rookies vs Vets [DISCUSSION THREAD/UPDATES]
466 comments
most viewed right now
110 viewing
 Video inside What made you laugh the hardest in your entire life?
93 comments

top in section
32 viewing
 Image inside Mar 28 - Audio With Studentís Last Words To Cop Relea..
top in news
top in section
19 viewing
 NBA Byron Scott: Players Expressed Interest In Coming To Lake..
top in sports

people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  
 
 

let em know Ľ Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 Lupe Fiasco - Around My Way [Video]
Unread 06-28-2012, 05:48 AMJoined May 2012 - on now - #81
Just BizNis 44 heat pts44 space
avatar space
Valar Morghulis
space
$8,747 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Illuminati
A Michael Jackson jacket or a daft mask
Purple Jordans or the mixed girl in your math class

What does Lupe mean here? Is it the allure of attaining something iconic or something we all crave? The mixed girl part threw me off
He's using metaphors for the previous bar "now everybody want it like the last laugh"

The gorgeous smart girl is definitely something to want
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 05:49 AMJoined Mar 2008 - away - #82
popsjenkins 26 heat pts26 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$2,663 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Illuminati
A Michael Jackson jacket or a daft mask
Purple Jordans or the mixed girl in your math class

What does Lupe mean here? Is it the allure of attaining something iconic or something we all crave? The mixed girl part threw me off
I thought he said "purple Jordans ON the mixed girl in your math class"

"Now everybody want it like a last laugh
A Michael Jackson jacket or a daft mask
Purple Jordans on the mixed girl in your math class"

It's just an example of things we want, materialism, lust, whatever.

I cant speak on the daft mask, not my element, but growing up everybody I knew wanted a thriller jacket, and everyone loves a pretty girl in some J's.
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 05:51 AMJoined Jan 2010 - away - #83
Trilluminati GA 401 heat pts401 space
avatar space
HardOnHoes2K15
space
$38,314 | POWERFUL
been sleeping on Lupe hard, this sh*t got me awoke. Song is refreshing and a breah of fresh air in hip hop where heavy smoke lingers. To be honest I liked Kick/Push and slept on that. Mos Def gonna keep my eyes open on Lupe and hope for a Pete Rock & CL Smooth remix.

props 2 ts

Last edited by Trilluminati GA; 06-28-2012 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:05 AMJoined Aug 2008 - away - #84
RokkyRok 49 heat pts49 space
avatar space
The Kid From The Bronx
space
$6,147 | POWERFUL
The visuals brought the track out more, def a pre order on that FL2.

Originally Posted by BluCupShawty
been sleeping on Lupe hard, this sh*t got me awoke. Song is refreshing and a breah of fresh air in hip hop where heavy smoke lingers. To be honest I liked Kick/Push and slept on that. Mos Def gonna keep my eyes open on Lupe and hope for a Pete Rock & CL Smooth remix.
Now that would be some sh*t.
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:20 AMJoined Jan 2010 - away - #85
Trilluminati GA 401 heat pts401 space
avatar space
HardOnHoes2K15
space
$38,314 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ROKKYROK
The visuals brought the track out more, def a pre order on that FL2.



Now that would be some sh*t.
mos def a good look 4 hip hop
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:31 AMJoined Jun 2012 - away - #86
WordOnThaStreet 25 heat pts25 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$1,598 | POWERFUL
smh @ people calling actually using your brain to write records with substance "preachiness". idiots
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:06 AMJoined Apr 2010 - on now - #87
PrinceDeville25 18 heat pts18 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$3,864 | 18986211
looking forward to F&L2
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:43 AMJoined Aug 2007 - away - #88
TH35 75 heat pts75 space
avatar space
They.Resurrect.Over.New
space
$59,880 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Carib Breeze
Pete Rock need to make a cameo
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:45 AMJoined Aug 2010 - on now - #89
shadydre85 22 heat pts22 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$5,951 | POWERFUL
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:36 AMJoined Feb 2011 - away - #90
GetuOne 73 heat pts73 space
avatar space
GETuONE
space
$4,469 | POWERFUL
About two more years of hair growth and he'll finally fit the Black Panthers image he's been seeking.
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:28 AMJoined Mar 2009 - away - #91
Knowledgeable 24 heat pts24 space
avatar space
^Still leaning on me^
space
$8,450 | POWERFUL
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:39 AMJoined Mar 2007 - away - #92
RubbahBandMayn 1 heat pts space
avatar space
FREE B.G.
space
$7,661 | POWERFUL
NICEEEE!!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:55 AMJoined May 2011 - away - #93
Retro 78 heat pts78 space
avatar space
Til Next Time...
space
$20,023 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by hayday12
Because the complaints are being dismissed as irrelevant issues. Then you have people who think the people complaining are annoying so they ignore it. Then you have the people who live a pretty good life so they really can't relate with the people complaining so they ignore it also. There is a lot of variables involved.
Cop out after cop out dude. You listed names to indicate that there were multiple people simply complaining about the state of political and social affairs in this country in order to show that Lupe wasn't the only one. Now there's supposed to be less people than Lupe because those same issues that were prevalent before are now irrelevant? Circular logic won't work here...

Originally Posted by hayday12
It's a small scale example. Now imagine on a larger scale people from every state putting that type of pressure on our government as a whole.
A few already have. It's called the #OccupyMovement. How successful has that been so far? I'll wait...

Originally Posted by hayday12
Couldn't Lupe say the same thing? You complain that Lupe complains too much but he can't force people to listen to him. He can tell people to read and research but he can't make them do it.
If people were that stupid him telling them to do so still wouldn't matter because they wouldn't be able to comprehend what he was telling them to learn in the first place.

You need something better than this sorry excuse, people are not that stupid.


Originally Posted by hayday12
Are you serious? So your country is doing bad and your first thought is to leave? Are you looking for instant gratification? Tell me at which point in history did change happen instantly. I'll wait
How can you sit on the sidelines bi*ching at the ref but stay at the game if you hate it so much? All Lupe does is cry terrorist this, tyranny that. How can he allow himself to stay a part of such a terrible entity if he can't stand it? Explain that logic to me because you've failed time and time again to prove how complaining is changing things.

Who said it was supposed to be instant? I see NO fruits of Lupe's labor. Show me in explicit detail how Lupe complaining on wax has contributed significantly to the changes in our social & political environment. I want sources from CNN, MSNBC, BBC, etc. - in other words well respected and credited news sources. Again, I'll wait...


Originally Posted by hayday12
Complaining helps identify what laws needs to be changed. Once that happens you can start trying to implement better laws.
At first you said there wasn't really anything you could do, now complaining is supposed to be the band-aid?

I'll ask you yet again, when is Lupe going to stop identifying and start rectifying? CLEARLY the people in Washington aren't listening and (god I'm getting tired of repeating myself) awareness in and of itself is NOT a solution.


Originally Posted by hayday12
Exactly. Now what do you do when a bad politician is put into office? Do you say anything about? Or would that be considered complaining?
You do all that you can to make sure the BEST of the bad is put into office. Politicians suck, but don't sit here and act like there aren't better candidates than others to put in office. The government is supposed to be homogenous but with all the childish bickering and bullsh*t in Washington nothing gets done. If we put immature and poor politicians in office who's fault is that? OURS.

Originally Posted by hayday12
Great political success that took time and effort
Notice the success didn't come from complaining...

Originally Posted by hayday12
When people start paying attention
For like the 50th time awareness in and of itself is NOT a solution. Paying attention to the bullsh*t doesn't mean it'll stop it just means you're watching it now and allowing it to continue...

Originally Posted by hayday12
Your issue isn't really with Lupe himself. It's with the people.
My issue is with Lupe and anybody else with dirty hands that try to point clean fingers...

-----

At one of you calling Lupe a revolutionary. I feel sorry for some of you actually following this dude like he's a smaller version of Malcolm X. The difference between he and Malcolm is that Malcolm DEMONSTRATED. He worked with MLK Jr. to get legislation passed in order to get REAL change. He didn't just sit on his a.ss whining about things, he made sure that someway somehow the LAWS would be different. Lupe is NOT doing this and HAS NOT been this entire time...
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:59 AMJoined Jun 2012 - away - #94
GameTheory 53 heat pts53 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$6,522 | POWERFUL
Retro wants Lupe to run for office instead of speaking on his problems.
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 10:50 AMJoined May 2005 - away - #95
CTR 376 heat pts376 space
avatar space
just be ... wise
space
$2,978 | POWERFUL
Lupe back ...


Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 10:51 AMJoined Feb 2012 - away - #96
Jeezydasnowman 93 heat pts93 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$2,119 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ImInHerMouth
Is it "Words I Never Said" or is it "Out of My Head"?

really? He is someone that got famous and wants to speak out against the corruption. Its what EVERY smart famous person witha following should do, and Charlie Sheen is another one. "If you dont become an actor youll never be a factor." He cant make every single song against the government because then he wont have any radio play...So he throws in just a couple.
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:04 PMJoined Sep 2011 - away - #97
hayday12 64 heat pts64 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$2,356 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Retro
Cop out after cop out dude. You listed names to indicate that there were multiple people simply complaining about the state of political and social affairs in this country in order to show that Lupe wasn't the only one. Now there's supposed to be less people than Lupe because those same issues that were prevalent before are now irrelevant? Circular logic won't work here...

Sigh, How did you get that out of my response? My point was, by your logic, anybody speaking on government issues can be dismissed by saying they're just complaining.

A few already have. It's called the #OccupyMovement. How successful has that been so far? I'll wait...

The occupy movement started in November of last year. Tell me a movement that accomplished it's goal in changing the whole political platform in less than a year? I'll wait.

If people were that stupid him telling them to do so still wouldn't matter because they wouldn't be able to comprehend what he was telling them to learn in the first place.

You need something better than this sorry excuse, people are not that stupid.


You most not know a lot of people then. Affordable Care Act just got upheld today and some people said they were moving to Canada because of it. Only Canada uses provincial government healthcare systems and public health insurance. Which is similar to Affordable Care. But please continue to tell me how people are not that stupid.

How can you sit on the sidelines bi*ching at the ref but stay at the game if you hate it so much? All Lupe does is cry terrorist this, tyranny that. How can he allow himself to stay a part of such a terrible entity if he can't stand it? Explain that logic to me because you've failed time and time again to prove how complaining is changing things.

How about because we are born in this country and we want to see it become a better place? I'm sorry but telling someone to leave if they don't like how things are running is dumb as fu*k. By this standard no political change would ever had come about.

Who said it was supposed to be instant? I see NO fruits of Lupe's labor. Show me in explicit detail how Lupe complaining on wax has contributed significantly to the changes in our social & political environment. I want sources from CNN, MSNBC, BBC, etc. - in other words well respected and credited news sources. Again, I'll wait...



At first you said there wasn't really anything you could do, now complaining is supposed to be the band-aid?

I'll ask you yet again, when is Lupe going to stop identifying and start rectifying? CLEARLY the people in Washington aren't listening and (god I'm getting tired of repeating myself) awareness in and of itself is NOT a solution.


Nobody fu*king said awareness is the end all solution. I even stated that in my first response to you. So you repeating yourself is your own damn fault.


You do all that you can to make sure the BEST of the bad is put into office. Politicians suck, but don't sit here and act like there aren't better candidates than others to put in office. The government is supposed to be homogenous but with all the childish bickering and bullsh*t in Washington nothing gets done. If we put immature and poor politicians in office who's fault is that? OURS.

This seems more like an issue with the people more than with Lupe.

Notice the success didn't come from complaining...

Notice how I didn't say it did. Notice how I said it took time and effort. Notice that the definition of effort is conscious exertion of power : hard work. Do you notice how I'm saying it takes more than just complaining. Maybe now that you notice it you can stop repeating yourself.

For like the 50th time awareness in and of itself is NOT a solution. Paying attention to the bullsh*t doesn't mean it'll stop it just means you're watching it now and allowing it to continue...

Again repeating yourself for no reason.

My issue is with Lupe and anybody else with dirty hands that try to point clean fingers...

Did you make that up yourself? Because it doesn't make much sense if you think about it. Or at least it doesn't really apply to Lupe.

-----

At one of you calling Lupe a revolutionary. I feel sorry for some of you actually following this dude like he's a smaller version of Malcolm X. The difference between he and Malcolm is that Malcolm DEMONSTRATED. He worked with MLK Jr. to get legislation passed in order to get REAL change. He didn't just sit on his a.ss whining about things, he made sure that someway somehow the LAWS would be different. Lupe is NOT doing this and HAS NOT been this entire time...
So how exactly did Martin and Malcolm get legislation passed in the government? Did they just go right up to the government and say "Hey mister government! Can we talk to you about giving us some more freedom?" Or did they complain? If you say the occupy movement is just a group of people complaining then what was Montgomery Bus Boycott? A group of negros complaining. Albany movement? A group of negros complaining. Birmingham campaign? A group of negros complaining. March on Washington? A group of negros complaining. Mind you the civil rights movement last for 13 years before things really started to change.

Oh and P.S Malcolm X and MLK only met each other one time in their entire life and that was to hear the debate on Civil Rights Act of 1964. An Act was only created in response to the protests by blacks(You know those people that were complaining.) They never actually discussed any legislation with each other.

Last edited by hayday12; 06-28-2012 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 01:44 PMJoined May 2011 - away - #98
Retro 78 heat pts78 space
avatar space
Til Next Time...
space
$20,023 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by hayday12
You most not know a lot of people then. Affordable Care Act just got upheld today and some people said they were moving to Canada because of it. Only Canada uses provincial government healthcare systems and public health insurance. Which is similar to Affordable Care. But please continue to tell me how people are not that stupid.
So all of humanity is stupid because a few dumbasses don't understand the way the government policies work? Love blanket statements.

Tell me something, if people familiarized themselves with more government policies instead of regurgitating what their favorite media outlets spoon fed them would they be this stupid? No, they wouldn't be. But what do they do instead? Complain and then talk about moving. If this example was supposed to help you I'm not sure how. You just made my point for me inadvertently...


Originally Posted by hayday12
How about because we are born in this country and we want to see it become a better place? I'm sorry but telling someone to leave if they don't like how things are running is dumb as fu*k. By this standard no political change would ever had come about.
No, what's dumb as fu*k is people bi*ching and moaning but not doing a damn thing to fix the situation. Complaining is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but it gets you nowhere. ACTING does and NO complaining is not acting. It's watching and expressing distaste for whatever is being observed. It is NOT the act of attempting to change what is observed.

Originally Posted by hayday12
Nobody fu*king said awareness is the end all solution. I even stated that in my first response to you. So you repeating yourself is your own damn fault.
Dude I don't know how many times you've said people "paying attention" was the solution. You've said multiple times that Lupe identifying the issues for people to become aware is the solution. You didn't mention anything else. In fact, you even said there's nothing else that could be done besides complaining and shedding light on the issues. Well if they're so damn blatant WHY isn't anything else being changed? Oh, that's right, because giving exposure then complaining doesn't fix sh*t.

Originally Posted by hayday12
Notice how I didn't say it did. Notice how I said it took time and effort. Notice that the definition of effort is conscious exertion of power : hard work. Do you notice how I'm saying it takes more than just complaining. Maybe now that you notice it you can stop repeating yourself.
Notice how your entire point has been complaining leads to change this, it exposes issues that - but the hard work here is only the complaining. What hard work is left to be done then? Movements? Because movements like the non-existent ones that Lupe leads DO NOT lead to change. He just hops on his soap box, bi*ches and whines, shoots a video for it, then does the same exact track a few years later with the same theme.

If you think sh*t like that ^ is hard work no wonder you follow Lupe and don't think he's being preachy, you're just as misguided as he is.

Oh & I like how the only thing you have for me is a google link when I asked for explicit details. I guess that's because there aren't any because like I've been saying this whole damn time Lupe's work on wax has NOT led to anything of significance in the political atmosphere and it WILL NOT until he actually starts pushing for legitimate change.


Originally Posted by hayday12
Did you make that up yourself? Because it doesn't make much sense if you think about it. Or at least it doesn't really apply to Lupe.
No, I didn't make that up myself but it makes perfect sense and here's why:

Lupe doesn't do sh*t but complain. You looked for evidence to the contrary, failed to find it and just threw a google link at me. This means you realize the first sentence is true (and if not stop kidding yourself).

The sh*t Lupe complains about continues to be an issue to day, but since he does nothing to change sh*t his hands are just as dirty as those he chastises.

He tries to point the finger away from himself like he isn't to blame but he indeed is to blame because he doesn't do sh*t like I've said countless times now.

A clean finger can be pointed at anybody who warrants it, but a dirty hand pointing a clean finger cannot occur since the dirty hands have dirty fingers too.

Use your brain, I hate spoon feeding people like this.


Originally Posted by hayday12
So how exactly did Martin and Malcolm get legislation passed in the government? Did they just go right up to the government and say "Hey mister government! Can we talk to you about giving us some more freedom?" Or did they complain? If you say the occupy movement is just a group of people complaining then what was Montgomery Bus Boycott? A group of negros complaining. Albany movement? A group of negros complaining. Birmingham campaign? A group of negros complaining. March on Washington? A group of negros complaining. Mind you the civil rights movement last for 13 years before things really started to change.
No it wasn't and I'm disappointed in your lack of knowledge on this topic.

The MBB was a systematic ploy that hit the local government where it hurt the most: in its pockets. Without the revenue from the African American community the stimulation would go down, causing the government to rethink how they approach the segregated bus situation. That's far more than just complaining, that's planning and executing thus forcing legislation. You seriously think Rosa Parks was just some innocent bystander that had sore feet?

Source - (Google for more & it's written by a Professor from Yale - I think that's enough credibility.)

Then again, I'm not surprised you think it's this simple. You did call people too stupid to understand the government so clearly Black people don't get enough credit to think of something like this that would actually push the government to change things.

Seriously dude think before you type next time, this was way too easy...


Originally Posted by hayday12
Oh and P.S Malcolm X and MLK only met each other one time in their entire life and that was to hear the debate on Civil Rights Act of 1964. An Act was only created in response to the protests by blacks(You know those people that were complaining.) They never actually discussed any legislation with each other.
Let me change the rhetoric then. They didn't work with each other, they worked alongside each other. Don't think that Malcolm's militant mind state didn't have something to do with the laws being changed. There was far more orchestration than what lies on the surface of this, it's way more intricate than people simply complaining.

Do your research and don't try to play this card again until you have smh...
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 01:52 PMJoined Feb 2012 - away - #99
VANS MASLOW 2 heat pts space
avatar space
"The Fit Rapper"
space
$301 | 1808120
Originally Posted by hayday12
If your taking about him complaining about the government then pointing fingers is all you can really do. That, protesting and voting. There aren't many real solutions to begin with.


As far as bi*ch Bad goes it seems to me his fans are split between it. Some like it, some don't. KTT trash it at first. Then I go there today and people are saying it grew on them. People on here were also saying its a good song also. There are just mixed feeling about it but I don't really think you can say "his fans" hate it.
The fct you trust ktt suburb listeners is beyond me they know nothing about rap they are all ehite
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 04:55 PMJoined Nov 2011 - away - #100
Ward22 148 heat pts148 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$3,003 | POWERFUL
Video of the year
Reply With Quote
 

Home > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot
  
    
          join bx


 




that hot ish yesterday


most viewed right now
40 viewing
Article inside Slim Thug Ruins Credit by Having Sex With His Rea..
75 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
26 viewing
Video inside Mar 27 - USPS driver throws packages on porch, runs..
45 comments
@news
most viewed right now
23 viewing
Image inside Who's This 200 lbs PAWG?  
117 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
20 viewing
Video inside Employed Thot: Keep Your Sons Away From Her "I Don'..
64 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
17 viewing
Image inside short N thick!!!  
51 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
17 viewing
Image inside Those new Master Race GTA 5 Pics Though...
78 comments
@games
most viewed right now
14 viewing
Image inside The REAL Amber Rose  
130 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
13 viewing
Article inside 33 Strange Facts About America That Most American..
49 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
13 viewing
Image inside R.I.P OTF Chino  
225 comments
@hiphop

^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |  © BX 1998-end of time