This is BX @ Boxden.com

J. Cole: "I Never Felt White. I Don't Know What That Feels Like"

J. Cole: "I Never Felt White. I Don't Know What That Feels Like"
topic by flix02 - 09-25-2011, 09:27 AM - Boxden > The Hip-Hop Spot

Roc Nation's J. Cole opens up about having bi-racial parents and how despite being half White, he has fully felt a part of Caucasian decent in the new XXL Magazine.

Based on an excerpt from his October feature, Cole speaks on his genetic makeup.

"I can identify with White people, because I know my mother, her side of the family, who I love. I've had White friends. I know people from high school that I might not have hung out with outside of high school, but I think I got to know them pretty well, so I know they sense of humor. But at the end of the day, I never felt White. I don't know what that feels like. I can identify. But never have I felt like I'm one of them. Not that I wanted to, or tried to, but it just was what it was. I identify more with what I look like, because that's how I got treated. Not necessarily in a negative way. But when you get pulled over by the police, I can't pull out my half-White card. Or if I just meet you on the street, you're not gonna be like, This guy seems half-White." (XXL Mag)

J. Cole's "In The Morning" collaborator Drake is also the son of bi-racial parents.

Drake was born to an African-American father and a Jewish mother, who divorced when he was five. Raised by his mother in Forest Hill, a heavily Jewish neighborhood of Toronto, he attended a Jewish day school, and was even Bar Mitzvah'd (the song of the night was Backstreet Boys's "I Want It That Way"). All of which is to say that, whatever else happens, Drake is already the first-ever black Jewish rap star. (Heeb Magazine)

Last year, Shady Records' Yelawolf talked about facing racial barriers as a white rapper.

"I still face it at every show, dog. There's always somebody. It never fails, never. Until I'm selling out my own shows and I'm going to be demo-ing for somebody. And somebody is not going to like me because I'm a white boy on stage rapping and I look different. That's something I will experience until everybody that came through the door came to see just me. I'm used to it though, when you're traveling with groups, you just have to be prepared to deal with it. Do your best to snap and walk off the stage holding your nuts. Always! That's how you got to be. I grew up in Alabama so I've heard and seen it all. Knowing your talent is probably one of the keys to be successful." (VIBE)

Outside of racial talk, Cole recently got surprised by seeing a premature released copy of his Roc Nation debut during a concert.

After all the blood, sweat, and tears he put into making his album, imagine J. Cole's surprise when a fan handed him a copy of the physical CD before he had even seen it. The Roc Nation rapper was performing in Scottsdale, Arizona, on Wednesday night when someone in the audience held up a copy of his debut Cole World: The Sideline Story, nearly a week before its release. Apparently some Target stores had prematurely put the album on shelves. (Rap-Up)

"I Never Felt White. I Don't Know What That Feels Like" | SOHH.COM

Latest Hip-Hop Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

137 comments for "J. Cole: "I Never Felt White. I Don't Know What That Feels Like""

09-25-2011, 09:30 AMonline - #2
King Henry 255 heat pts255

d 
space
$21,332 | POWERFUL
Interview was awkward as hell
 09-25-2011, 10:09 AMaway - #3
trock34 49 heat pts49

d 
space
$10,623 | POWERFUL
 09-25-2011, 10:09 AMonline - #4
Arson 79 heat pts79

d 
space
$26,561 | POWERFUL
what ever side you look like most is who you're a$sociated with
 09-25-2011, 10:09 AMonline - #5
Ant McQueen 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$8,221 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Str8Evo3Racer
90% of Boxden knows what that feels like
Word. A lot of these dudes on Boxden are ashamed to be white. There's a bunch of B-Rad's on here.
 09-25-2011, 10:10 AMaway - #6
Ca$h Out 33 heat pts33

d 
space
$24,438 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Arson
what ever side you look like most is who you're a$sociated with
 09-25-2011, 10:10 AMaway - #7
marcusaka50 29 heat pts29

d 
space
$19,654 | POWERFUL
i didnt know he was half white
 09-25-2011, 10:18 AMaway - #8
psylence2k 38 heat pts38

d 
space
$9,289 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by I-NeeD-$$$
wtf..... this is some of the most random !! i've ever read in an article...
you gotta be able to read between the lines, it's obviously a comparison of the culture that drake grew up in versus the culture he participates in now, how he grew up and his background compared to the current image he projects. The article seems to be about race ( black,white, mixed) in hip hop so it's very relevant since rap fans always seem to be concerned about an artist's background when evaluating their music. It could be seen as a shot or diss to drake as well seeing that he grew up a rich jewish boy who listened to the backstreet boys. J.Cole's quotes before it ties in perfectly with that part, he talks about how he never felt "white" growing up but can drake say the same ? It's all about perception and preference.

Last edited by psylence2k; 09-25-2011 at 10:21 AM..
 09-25-2011, 10:23 AMaway - #9
Ash10 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$20,403 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Ant McQueen
Word. A lot of these dudes on Boxden are ashamed to be white. There's a bunch of B-Rad's on here.
Originally Posted by Str8Evo3Racer
90% of Boxden knows what that feels like
!!ing frauds, what I hate is a white/latino kid trying pretending to be black, using the word nicca e.g Joe Black bx poster, that drake stan who got exposed, he still won't admit his white

btw yes I'm black
 09-25-2011, 10:26 AMaway - #10
psylence2k 38 heat pts38

d 
space
$9,289 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ash1990
!!ing frauds, what I hate is a white/latino kid trying pretending to be black, using the word nicca e.g Joe Black bx poster, that drake stan who got exposed, he still won't admit his white

btw yes I'm black
There are black hispanics /latinos
 09-25-2011, 10:30 AMonline - #11
Ant McQueen 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$8,221 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by psylence2k
There are black hispanics /latinos
A lot of Hispanic have t0o much pride to admit that, LOL. I know this Dominican girl who refuses to acknowledge the fact that she's black. I try to tell her all of the time.. " a bunch of Dominicans and Cubans are nothing but black people that speak Spanish. " She's always saying, " No, noooo.. we're not Black.. We're Dominican. "
 09-25-2011, 10:32 AMaway - #12
notic99 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$7,580 | POWERFUL
 09-25-2011, 10:34 AMaway - #13
coolbeans 65 heat pts65

d 
space
$11,185 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by marcusaka50
i didnt know he was half white
me neither...
 09-25-2011, 10:36 AMaway - #14
psylence2k 38 heat pts38

d 
space
$9,289 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Ant McQueen
A lot of Hispanic have t0o much pride to admit that, LOL. I know this Dominican girl who refuses to acknowledge the fact that she's black. I try to tell her all of the time.. " a bunch of Dominicans and Cubans are nothing but black people that speak Spanish. " She's always saying, " No, noooo.. we're not Black.. We're Dominican. "
I know this but it doesn't change the fact genetically she's black, Tiger woods doesn't really like to embrace his blackness fully, but if he did black ppl would allow him to, just like they allow any other bi-racial black to ( Obama, Halle Berry , etc ). If they dont want to embrace it that's their decision but you really can't revoke their pass because it's in their blood.
 09-25-2011, 10:37 AMaway - #15
psylence2k 38 heat pts38

d 
space
$9,289 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by notic99
oh wow I didn't know his dad was the white one. is that his dad ??
 09-25-2011, 10:39 AMaway - #16
notic99 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$7,580 | POWERFUL
to be honest i cant even confirm multiple sites tell me thats his dad and on wikepedia it says his moms the white one so idek
 09-25-2011, 10:47 AMonline - #17
RaIVIpAG3x 3 heat pts

d 
space
$4,672 | 13863072
Originally Posted by ash1990

btw yes I'm black
so saying the word nicca means you're trying to be black

im proud to be dominican, and ima keep saying nicca.

stop being so ignorant
 09-25-2011, 10:48 AMaway - #18
Frank Hampton 81 heat pts81

d 
space
$11,460 | POWERFUL
EDIT: Nevermind J cole said it himself. Black father, White Mother

@:25

YouTube

Last edited by Frank Hampton; 09-25-2011 at 10:57 AM..
 09-25-2011, 10:52 AMonline - #19
King Henry 255 heat pts255

d 
space
$21,332 | POWERFUL
His dad is black. That's probably his uncle. His mom is white.
 09-25-2011, 10:52 AMaway - #20
mikeyajeto 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,700 | 11765448
Originally Posted by RaIVIpAG3x
so saying the word nicca means you're trying to be black

im proud to be dominican, and ima keep saying nicca.

stop being so ignorant

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Actual Iggy Azalea
122 comments
Image inside  Thick Vietnamese chick named Kandy...
74 comments
Image inside  Dave Chappelle Reveals Shockingly Buff New Look
80 comments
 Image(s) inside Lupita Nyong'o Named People Magazine's 'most Beautiful'
New reply 4 minutes ago - 111 comments - by SM
 NBA Nba-who Is The Most Overrated All Time Great?
New reply 7 minutes ago - 327 comments - by JordanWest86
 Article inside Lil Boosie Will Be Releasing His Next Album July 15th,...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 71 comments - by SM
 NBA Bradley Beal Says Fu-k Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
New reply 8 minutes ago - 132 comments - by bridouble
 Image(s) inside This Girls Dad Came Out Of Nowhere (gif)
New reply 6 minutes ago - 68 comments - by Aleandroid
  Worst Movie Endings
New reply 10 minutes ago - 110 comments - by tre0624
 Video inside Video Of Bleached Up Dancehall Dj Vybz Kartel’s Allege...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 60 comments - by ajeana
  Top 10 Wealthiest Pro Wrestlers Of All Time
New reply 10 minutes ago - 72 comments - by bridouble

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,711 fans of BX | none new today 4,651 following and 3 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.