This is BX @ Boxden.com

Is the music industry over saturated? [Interesting article]

Is the music industry over saturated? [Interesting article]
topic by A.Dot789 - 01-13-2013, 08:46 AM - Boxden > The Hip-Hop Spot

So when Justin Timberlake announced his return to the music industry on Thursday he released a video entitled “I’m Ready“. The video simply showed Justin heading into the studio, but the important part was what he was talking about. He stated that he never stopped making music, he just took his time in releasing it, that’s the short and sweet version. So when I saw this video, it sparked something in my mind, is the music industry over saturated? Justin took a seven year break from the music industry and is only two albums in. The video title and in the video he clearly stated that he wasn’t ready but now he is. Meaning he took his time, is that a good thing? and why aren’t rappers taking their time nowadays? So of course after having this issue sparked into my mind, I took to Twitter to rant about it, but I felt like I wasn’t doing enough so thus this post was created. Check out after the jump what I got to say about this new era of music that we’ve been in.

After thinking about this issue in the music industry for awhile. I decided to find the root of where and how the over saturation even began. I came to the conclusion that Lil Wayne started the over saturation that we are getting in music. In 2007, Lil Wayne proceeded to release mixtapes and jumped on everyone’s track. Constantly releasing music day by day, since this was a new thing people took notice and by constantly delivering the public new music it kept them interested in Lil Wayne. Now, I’m sure Wayne knew this, Wayne knew that people were living in the “Now” era. We wanted more music and we wanted it now, we want the latest stuff now and we still live in that era, so that’s why Wayne attacked it because no other artist was delivering music constantly. Wayne won by doing this, but did it spark something that would later ruin the music industry? That’s where the question lies. How could something so simple and brilliant be so unhealthy and pernicious. I’m not knocking Wayne for getting his grind on, or hating for what he did, in no way. I’m speaking on where I think it started.

After Wayne started getting success by supplying his fans with constant free music. Like selling over 1 million copies with Tha Carter 3. Other rappers started following and this is where everything got out of control. Every rapper started doing what Lil Wayne did, supplying fans with free mixtapes, free tracks, free everything, besides albums. Since fans kept getting so much free music, they decided not to buy albums, thus the plummet of album sales. That’s of course not the only reason album sales are low, piracy has a big roll, but supplying the public with free music constantly has it’s roll too. But that’s not it, we live in such a “Now” era that we simply can’t wait for rappers to take their time in releasing music. I mean the “Now” era affect is all around us, we have Netflix now where we can instantly stream movies without leaving our house to get a movie. We have iTunes where we can instantly download any music by simply clicking a button, without having to go to the store and purchasing the actual physical CD and listening to it....

Read the full at: Is The Music Industry Over Saturated? | Diverse Hip Hop

Latest Hip-Hop Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

53 comments for "Is the music industry over saturated? [Interesting article]"

01-13-2013, 08:53 AMaway - #2
Roddy Little 31 heat pts31

d 
space
$1,499 | 18472981
Rappers are facing a dilemma; constantly release music and ensure relevance but face low album sales, or risk become irrelevant with the chance of building a loyal buying fanbase. I think there needs to be a middle point.
 01-13-2013, 08:57 AMaway - #3
didyousaydat 

d 
space
$58 | 219042
Great points.. 1.5-3 years..
 01-13-2013, 08:58 AMaway - #4
TheMob 80 heat pts80

d 
space
$7,933 | POWERFUL
Wow. This gotta be the most ridiculous and no-focus'd #### I've ever read.

Since fans kept getting so much free music, they decided not to buy albums, thus the plummet of album sales.

Musical saturation is actually good because it gives the fans better chances of getting quality material.

01-13-2013, 09:15 AMaway - #5
AC SLATER 29 heat pts29

d 
space
$28,805 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheMob

Since fans kept getting so much free music, they decided not to buy albums, thus the plummet of album sales.

Musical saturation is actually good because it gives the fans better chances of getting quality material.

"Musical saturation is actually good because it gives the fans better chances of getting quality material."

Terrible logic. Forcing it, and writing uninspired #### makes for an abundance of forgettable material. Taking your time, and writing when you've actually been inspired by some #### >>>>> writing a bunch of weightless nonsense everyday.
 01-13-2013, 09:24 AMaway - #6
Str8 outta Cuse 4 heat pts

d 
space
$5,129 | 14448877
A perfect example of over saturation can be seen every single day on Datpiff.com. Artists are releasing new mixtapes(pretty much albums) every 6 months at least. In order to do this they can't pay too much for production or they will go deep into the red. So all these new producers that use fruity loops and computer programs to make the same trap sounding beats over and over have appeared.

Ace Hood's new mixtape literally has the same beat remixed 15 times. It takes these new producers like 15 minutes to make beats now because of the new computer programs and all they need to do is get some 808's, synths, and some cheap sounding drum patterns and they have a hit.

Then when an artist comes out with that rare song that uses a real beat without all the 808's and ####, all these fans call the beat wack because "it's 2013 and no one is checking for that ####".
 01-13-2013, 09:47 AMaway - #7
dlettern 4 heat pts

d 
space
$8,834 | POWERFUL
This is only an issue for no talent artists. Talented artists like Nas and JT can wait a few years in between their releases because their fans have an affinity to their music and talent. Other trendy artists like Wayne, 50 cent, and Rick Ross are movements strengthened by constant exposure to their stuff. If any of those artists were to take their time to release music their movements would lose steam thus losing their fanbase. They all have labels that need to stay relevant through their own efforts
 01-13-2013, 09:54 AMaway - #8
AC SLATER 29 heat pts29

d 
space
$28,805 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by dlettern
This is only an issue for no talent artists. Talented artists like Nas and JT can wait a few years in between their releases because their fans have an affinity to their music and talent. Other trendy artists like Wayne, 50 cent, and Rick Ross are movements strengthened by constant exposure to their stuff. If any of those artists were to take their time to release music their movements would lose steam thus losing their fanbase. They all have labels that need to stay relevant through their own efforts
Good point.
 01-13-2013, 10:04 AMaway - #9
A.Dot789 572 heat pts572

d 
space
$9,022 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by dlettern
I think 50 would have been better off not releasing any free music between GRODT and The Massacre, he didnt need to
 01-13-2013, 10:06 AMaway - #10
Rotza 

d 
space
$666 | 2066316
The dilema is maintaining relevancy. Rap is traditionally a young man's game. You are only young for so long and you have to capitalize while its your time. Your fanbase is constantly changing. Someone that listens to an artist at age 16 might not be into the same artist 5 yrs later at 21. Thats not a large window. Some artist are able to sustain runs longer than that, but for the most part these guys have to strike while the iron is hot.

Take J. Cole for instance. He has such a loyal fanbase and is not entire predicated on reaching high school kids because he does have a more mature audience. He can sit back and take his time, because his fans will likely be waiting.
 01-13-2013, 10:18 AMaway - #11
614FACE 5 heat pts

d 
space
$3,987 | 19179925
Originally Posted by TheMob

it would b good if fans had more to choose from, but its not good when everything sounds the same. every beat sounds the same, every rapper spits about the same ####. the labels and bigger name artist (ross, wayne, 50, etc) set some what of a standard and lesser named artist to follow the same formula. they might not realize how #### trickles down but it does to the local artist, up and coming, whoever. this #### is fast food now. it holds no value anymore bcause of the over saturation of soooo many artist following the same formula with the same ####.

thats the reason albums aint selling. sure bootleggers hurt the game but not as bad as mutha####az make it seem. that mixtape #### is true. you cant keep putting out free music and expect the album to sale. the window of this is #### is getting smaller and smaller and putting out fast food isnt gonna secure any longevity. if u dont give the fans a chance to miss you or to be curious about your next move u in and out by the end of the year. people will get sick of hearing the same #### over and over with subpar bars. and theres always 2-3 ni##az to replace you. the only thing these ni##az is doin is milking it bfore they time is up.
 01-13-2013, 10:21 AMonline - #12
Trilluminati GA 339 heat pts339

d 
space
$29,579 | POWERFUL
yes and it shows. Everybody a "rapper" now
 01-13-2013, 10:24 AMaway - #13
GrindPOWER$ 255 heat pts255

d 
space
$9,710 | POWERFUL
have substance in your music,always come with a new sound,give in a make a trap record or a club record but if you do that make sure its not the normal club or trap record, building a loyal following never hurts if you gain success don't over do it by popping up on every record try to go out side your genre and work with other artists from different genres of music and you will be successful.
 01-13-2013, 10:27 AMaway - #14
614FACE 5 heat pts

d 
space
$3,987 | 19179925
Originally Posted by BluCupShawty
yes and it shows. Everybody a "rapper" now
and majority of these mutha####az cant even spit or dont write they own ####. its that fast food formula that convinces them they can also be a rapper.
 01-13-2013, 11:24 AMaway - #15
Mosthated 81 62 heat pts62

d 
space
$635 | POWERFUL
Interesting Read
 01-13-2013, 12:32 PMaway - #16
GameTheory 32 heat pts32

d 
space
$6,280 | POWERFUL
You can't call Ross and Wayne trendy if they essentially reinvent themselves all the time. They're just as valid as your "indie" sounding artists. That argument is getting tired.

Not all "good" music sounds a certain way.

The only real "problem" if it can be considered one is that the barrier to entry of making music is lower because you can build a home studio and equipment far cheaper than you've ever been able to. Also, you don't need to rely on official channels anymore. You can gather your own following online and book shows entirely independently. So that might make it seem like there is more crap out there, but it does make it easier for more good to be found as well.

Dudes have to stop ####ing about music they don't like.
 01-13-2013, 01:01 PMaway - #17
tupacnasfan 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$10,557 | POWERFUL
Because it is oversaturated and k!lling the industry and that's the truth.

we need the next big thing to change it.
 01-13-2013, 01:11 PMaway - #18
Escargot LL 2 heat pts

d 
space
$836 | 5571378
Originally Posted by GameTheory
You can't call Ross and Wayne trendy if they essentially reinvent themselves all the time. They're just as valid as your "indie" sounding artists. That argument is getting tired.

Not all "good" music sounds a certain way.

The only real "problem" if it can be considered one is that the barrier to entry of making music is lower because you can build a home studio and equipment far cheaper than you've ever been able to. Also, you don't need to rely on official channels anymore. You can gather your own following online and book shows entirely independently. So that might make it seem like there is more crap out there, but it does make it easier for more good to be found as well.

Dudes have to stop ####ing about music they don't like.

I definitely see your points.

But... With Ross and Wayne.. the music they continually put out is trendy, and doesnt have the same effect of when it first dropped, like "BMF/MC Hammer" and the Drought 3, respectively. Weezy is over-saturated in itself because he was everywhere for so long with new #### over here and there, that when Dedication 4 dropped, Everyone listened, but are gettin tired of the same ####. Ross more or less needs to get on some different "trap beats", maybe lead the next sub-genre like he did when he first linked with Lex Luger.

Home Studios and equipment... i mean, ####, its still expensive enough to get quality equipment. you still need a powerful computer, and u still need a decent mic. it didnt cost that much to get ur demo recorded with ur own electric guitar, ur friends drum set/bass, ur other guy's synthesizer, and a few days for recording. End of the day u still have to acheive a certain standard for people(corporate and fans alike) to enjoy ur ####.

i just think no one is taking the time to construct a powerful product thats going to last. Kid Cudi doesnt get a lot of radio spins, and never has, but he still takes time to make a great album and the fans still buy it. with these bull#### underground artists, they hop on the latest trends, blow up real quick, and fade out quicker. u think any of them chiraq ni##as gonna blow? they bitin chief keef/young chop's sound and wont stand out. King Louie is dope though

tldr; i agree, but ross/wayne are still trendy,

Last edited by Escargot LL; 01-13-2013 at 01:14 PM..
 01-13-2013, 01:23 PMonline - #19
YungPrinceNY 403 heat pts403

d 
space
$5,595 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Str8 outta Cuse
A perfect example of over saturation can be seen every single day on Datpiff.com. Artists are releasing new mixtapes(pretty much albums) every 6 months at least. In order to do this they can't pay too much for production or they will go deep into the red. So all these new producers that use fruity loops and computer programs to make the same trap sounding beats over and over have appeared.

Ace Hood's new mixtape literally has the same beat remixed 15 times. It takes these new producers like 15 minutes to make beats now because of the new computer programs and all they need to do is get some 808's, synths, and some cheap sounding drum patterns and they have a hit.

Then when an artist comes out with that rare song that uses a real beat without all the 808's and ####, all these fans call the beat wack because "it's 2013 and no one is checking for that ####".
 01-13-2013, 01:27 PMaway - #20
AJtheGreat 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$15,122 | POWERFUL
Its 2013 and dude is just now asking if things have gotten over saturated? Very weak analysis in this article imo

Im going to a$sume he's specifically talking about the rap industry. IMO, most rappers doing mixtapes are guys that will be lucky to sniff a budget for 2nd album, if they have even made a 1st one. I have no problem with them releasing music to stay relevant. The amount of music being put out isnt the problem. Its the type of music that keeps getting showcased.

The trap-sound niche has spilled over to every region and even R&B. Dance has merged with alot of R&B now too. There was always a market for these different sub-genres, but now it seems like the variety in radio to counter balance everything is gone, and its affecting the group of people who religiously listen to that kind of stuff. They're more interested in "bangers" than a cohesive piece of work.

People know more about these local one-hit artists than they do about the old vets still releasing albums. I hardly listen to the radio anymore, but i know its still a big part in influencing people's preferences. Unless a new rapper breaks the mold and somehow becomes a worldwide superstar, i dont expect much to change right now.

Originally Posted by Str8 outta Cuse

Even though I have no problem with producers doing their thing to get paid.
Its these artists that dont know how to switch it up

Last edited by AJtheGreat; 01-13-2013 at 01:33 PM..

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
What's Your Go-To Game Right Now?
63 comments
No Man's Sky is Timed Exclusive
53 comments
NBA Mason Plumee to make 12 man USA team roster over DeMarcu..
140 comments
 Video inside Chiwire Gbe Exposed By Sd's Brother
New reply 3 minutes ago - 54 comments - by SavageMitten
 NBA Usa Basketball Showcase On Espn - August 1 - 9:00pm Est
New reply 34 minutes ago - 1006 comments - by Dee Grande
 Video inside Donkey Of The Day: Fredro Starr
New reply 3 minutes ago - 135 comments - by Supacat
  Karruche Dumps Chris Brown
New reply 37 minutes ago - 82 comments - by grunsthis
 NBA Paul George Says He's Going To Average 25-30 Ppg :jord...
New reply 25 minutes ago - 69 comments - by Free Trotty
  Jul 31 - Taco Bell Employee Of 26 Years Suddenly Fired...
New reply 41 minutes ago - 67 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 NBA Charles Barkley Says There Are Only 5 Real Jobs In The...
New reply 33 minutes ago - 145 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 Video inside "the Bi-ch Came Out Of Me Son, I Aint Gonna Front...
New reply 45 minutes ago - 67 comments - by reelife

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,760 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.