This is BX @ Boxden.com

How much do underground artist's make?

How much do underground artist's make?
topic by -Paradox- - 04-10-2005, 02:16 PM - Boxden > The Hip-Hop Spot

Okay so i was thinkin the other day, people like 50 cent sell what like millions of albums each album he puts out and sells them for what 14 bucks each? so 14 x 1,000,000 that's a lota money enough to set someone for life....so I'm just wondering how much would you all say underground artists make? you always here people saying oh they barly have any money but they gotta be loaded too...

Latest Hip-Hop Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

22 comments for "How much do underground artist's make?"

04-10-2005, 02:22 PMaway - #2
don_singh2k 

d 
space
$511 | 20906631
^^^ you know that 50 cent doesnt make 14 bucks from the cd sales...he earns a small percentage from each record sale....dont forghet how many middle men have to get paid as well like Aftermath/Shady, interscope etc....
 04-10-2005, 02:24 PMaway - #3
HHAAAAA!! 

d 
space
$920 | 421
yeah 50 cent would be lucky to get like 2 bucks off each cd sale..

Last edited by HHAAAAA!!; 04-10-2005 at 02:24 PM..
 04-10-2005, 02:28 PMonline - #4
bomester 

d 
space
$2,627 | POWERFUL
underground artists dont make much off albums... they make their dough doin shows.
 04-10-2005, 03:16 PMaway - #5
evan2 

d 
space
$628 | 2352
read a article said that jean grae pulls in like 60k a year, which still isnt to bad
50 doesnt get thatmuch but hes got live shows, clothes, and everything hes into
sh#tty rapper but hes got smart people helping him make more money
 04-10-2005, 06:48 PMaway - #6
-Paradox- 

d 
space
$6,451 | 10040
Yeah i getcha but like let's say Jedi Mind Tricks since they seem to be popular, there is no doubt they sell a lota records so they must not be like broke.
 04-11-2005, 08:12 AMaway - #7
GhosT 

d 
space
$7,555 | 10712005
no offense but this is a pretty dumb question. a ug artist will make as much as they can sell. but percentage wise ug artist will make more per cd cuz there are less middle men and record lables and other bullsh#t. idependent artists will make the most off their cd sales cuz they will get damn near all the $ per cd, but will tend to have less exposure. so you see it all depends on how much they see and what kind of percentages they get off cd sales. every artist will be different so that's why it's a pretty dumb question. they is no way to give a real answer
one
GhosT
 04-11-2005, 02:25 PMaway - #8
dissaray 

d 
space
$134 | 16
This thread is crazy. How are some of y'all MODS when you don't even know how this sh#t works? LOL. Really. This sh#t is hilarious.

50 gets rougly a dollar per album... or any commercial rapper does, for that. Figure off a platinum album, you'd get about a million. Out of that you usually have to pay for your own video, etc.

Underground rappers make more per album. Especially if you have your own lable... like for example... Ill Bill owns and runs Uncle Howie... so off a 10 dollar album he'll easily pocket 7. So he'd have to sell 1/7th what a platinum rapper sells to make that same million.
 04-11-2005, 03:29 PMaway - #9
-Paradox- 

d 
space
$6,451 | 10040
Originally Posted by GhosT
no offense but this is a pretty dumb question. a ug artist will make as much as they can sell. but percentage wise ug artist will make more per cd cuz there are less middle men and record lables and other bullsh#t. idependent artists will make the most off their cd sales cuz they will get damn near all the $ per cd, but will tend to have less exposure. so you see it all depends on how much they see and what kind of percentages they get off cd sales. every artist will be different so that's why it's a pretty dumb question. they is no way to give a real answer
one
GhosT

Yeah but I don't even have the slightest clue around what they would make....It's not really a dumb question, I don't look into that stuff. All I was saying pretty much is do any of you know any of the artists yearly wage. There is obviously a estimated average of what most of them make like 70,000 a year or 60,000 that kinda sh#t.
 04-11-2005, 03:30 PM - #10
LiquidSwordz718 

d 
space
$n/a |
they dont make sh#t....i wonder who the ricest underground artist is....hmmm i dunno
 04-11-2005, 03:30 PMaway - #11
-Paradox- 

d 
space
$6,451 | 10040
Originally Posted by dissaray
This thread is crazy. How are some of y'all MODS when you don't even know how this sh#t works? LOL. Really. This sh#t is hilarious.

50 gets rougly a dollar per album... or any commercial rapper does, for that. Figure off a platinum album, you'd get about a million. Out of that you usually have to pay for your own video, etc.

Underground rappers make more per album. Especially if you have your own lable... like for example... Ill Bill owns and runs Uncle Howie... so off a 10 dollar album he'll easily pocket 7. So he'd have to sell 1/7th what a platinum rapper sells to make that same million.

And yeah i cool i gotcha, I just never really cared to know about that.
 04-12-2005, 07:13 AMaway - #12
Savazhe 

d 
space
$1,136 | 127515
For real for real tho - Most artists ain't even seeing a dollar per CD... The bulk of MOST artists money, mainstream or not, comes from doing shows.. Artists get a much larger percentage of the show money than they do of any CD money. Ever wonder why your fave artist might only have 2 albums but he's constantly on tour? For UG artists like Words, why he really only has one LP but has been touring since like 97? That's where the money is.

Now, some cats will make a little of that money and be content to pay their studio fees and whatever else, and be cool til they start running low again - Some cats will be on the hustle, recording new joints while they're touring, etc. Much like any business where you're basically selling yourself or your product, your returns are going to equal how much effort you put out in the attempt to come up financially.. I'd say it's going to vary by artist, and ther motivation level, so like GhosT said, there's no REAL accurate answer without doing some research across a ton of groups..
 04-12-2005, 08:54 AMaway - #13
Lethal Bizzle 

d 
space
$2,390 | 10593810
^word... 50 cent will get pennies from each CD. literally not more than 10 cents... times that by how many records he sells its still decent. plus the record company buys cars, clothes, houses etc for mainstream rappers...

depends what you mean by underground artist because i mean you have ludacris who put an independent album out in atlanta before he got with Def Jam and got minted... Can't remember the figure - says it on a song somewhere... same with a lot of southrn underground and independent artists cuz thats popppin atm...

more nerdy rappers like JMT, Atmosphere etc will sell less because they have no immediate fanbase and will have to spread through the net and word of mouth plus this scene is hurt a lot by bootleggin...
 04-12-2005, 09:57 AMaway - #14
tamm88 

d 
space
$750 | 140639
Originally Posted by dissaray
Artist don`t pay for their own videos..
 04-12-2005, 01:07 PMaway - #15
monster 

d 
space
$37 | 2
Got this from another hiphopsite..

Soundscan, U.S. Sales Figures as of Sunday, July 25, 2004.

Atmosphere - Seven's Travel - 115,743
Hieroglyphics - Full Circle - 65,472
Aesop Rock - Bazooka Tooth - 58,643
Madvillain - Madvillainy - 38,967
Jedi Mind Tricks - Visions of Ghandi - 36,471
Canibus - Rip the Jacker - 34,619
Lyrics Born - Later that Day - 34,702
Canibus - Mic Club - 31,104
Pete Rock - Soul Survivor Volume 2 - 27,763
Little Brother - The Listening - 27,612
Cage - Movies for the Blind - 24,924
Okayplayer - True Notes Volume 1 - 24,078
The Beatnuts - The Originators - 23,444
Living Legends - Creative Differences - 20,201
Akrobatik - Balance - 13,847
Supernatural - The Lost Freestyle Files - 13,371
brother ali - Shadows on the Sun - 11,766
Vast Aire - Look Mom No Hands - 10,736
Necro - Brutality Part 1 - 9,603
Jean Grae - The Bootleg EP - 9,078
Baby Blak - Once U Go Blak - 1773
Louis Logic - Sin-a-matic - 5555

The guy who posted this got the numbers from

If theese numbers are true, then rap is going downwards.. ppl have to start buying more hiphopmusic.. I'm guessing a relativelly large groupe like Atmosphere could sell a lot more than 115.000 albums..
Since I'm from Sweden I don't know how much records y'all buy in the US.. Swedish hiphop isn't bought in any large amounts over here anyways..
 04-12-2005, 03:37 PMaway - #16
dissaray 

d 
space
$134 | 16
Rappers do have to pay for their own videos. Get the fu#k out of here, some of y'all. To anyone reading this thread and trying to learn something- don't even bother.

Those numbers were interesting... no suprise that Atmosphere sold that much though.

And LOL @ the kid who labled JMT "nerd"
 04-12-2005, 03:47 PMaway - #17
Lethal Bizzle 

d 
space
$2,390 | 10593810
^yeh well i just sorta group together all white, alternative hip hop together as nerd rap when I' talkng about genere n sh#t. Not that I don't like it... Just word to describe it...
 04-12-2005, 03:49 PMaway - #18
Bang 

d 
space
$1,407 | 63830
Originally Posted by tamm88
Artist don`t pay for their own videos..
Most of the time they do...usually the label will give them an adavnce to pay for the video.....but the more est@blished artist can usually get the label to pay for a percentage of the album....part of the reason a new artist usually has a simple video....but there are some execptions....
 04-12-2005, 03:51 PM - #19
Fr3sH G 

d 
space
$n/a |
UnderGround Artist Barely Make Cheese Cause Most Of The Monkey They Make Go Right Back In There Music and I All Respect For Them For That To Get There Huslter On Like That But Many UnderGround Artist I Know Get Folks To Help Them Out and sh#t But It Barely Works.
 04-12-2005, 08:25 PM - #20
Hookz 

d 
space
$n/a |
"Canibus - Rip the Jacker - 34,619" (One Of Those Copies Is Mine)

So He Sold 34,619, 13.99 A Album.
He Made Probabley 3-4$$ A Sale.
Which In End Sales He Made Around 121,166.05.
Take Away Tax He Probabley Got 100,000 $ Off Of The Album.

While The Label Probabley Got 363,153.31$
Minus The Money To Print 100,000 Copies (Normal Amount Of UG Cd's Pressed Per Album) They Probabley Made Around 181,578.05$.

Last edited by Hookz; 04-12-2005 at 08:28 PM..

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NFL Rams will NOT add Michael Sam to practice squad
66 comments
NFL No Bias: Cam, Kaep or Rivers?
59 comments
NFL Official Predict your squads record thread.
79 comments
  Whats The Worst Movie You've Ever Watched?
New reply 56 seconds ago - 132 comments - by DominationCM
 Video inside Madden Fan Drops $95 On Ultimate Team, Interrogated By...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 99 comments - by Cool Story
 Video inside This Just In: Hitman Holla Was In A Bad Car Accident
New reply 1 minute ago - 53 comments - by Guvnor
 NFL Bills Center Eric Wood Says Nfl Teams Are Avoiding Sig...
New reply 18 minutes ago - 51 comments - by theFREAK
 Image(s) inside Apparently Dude "tried" To Snatch Quavo (mig...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 169 comments - by Just Jimmy
  Aug 31 - 9-year-old Is Executed: Where's The Outrage?
New reply 21 minutes ago - 108 comments - by pa_general
  Aug 31 - Breaking: Celebrity Nude Leak
New reply 2 minutes ago - 342 comments - by AlienGod
 Image(s) inside Saw This Sh-t On The News Today...i Went To High Schoo...
New reply 24 minutes ago - 52 comments - by bunnz17

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.