This is BX @ Boxden.com

How do Artists get discovered?

How do Artists get discovered?
topic by BTiZZLe - 05-31-2007, 06:04 PM - Boxden > The Hip-Hop Spot

how long does it take for an artist to blow up usually and how do they get discovered by record labels?

Latest Hip-Hop Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

17 comments for "How do Artists get discovered?"

05-31-2007, 06:56 PMaway - #2
meepos 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$9,538 | POWERFUL
its not how good you are its who you know.
 05-31-2007, 07:01 PMaway - #3
I234P312 

d 
space
$1,761 | 6655132
myspace and youtube are your friends...u juss gotta get MMMMAAAADDDDDDDDDDD lucky...
 05-31-2007, 07:28 PMaway - #4
Da Realness 2 heat pts

d 
space
$12,414 | POWERFUL
just gotta know the right people. and it def dont matter how good you are skillwise.

you just gotta have a catchy song that ni##as in ya state like and that can help. Put ya #### out there..give em to some dj's so they can spread the word
 05-31-2007, 07:28 PMaway - #5
King Allister 33 heat pts33

d 
space
$21,487 | POWERFUL
you gotta get in a car crash and make a song about your jaw tied
 06-01-2007, 12:58 AMaway - #6
Aftashok 

d 
space
$8,178 | POWERFUL
basically, with the way that sales in general have just bottomed out, labels ain't really doing too much to take chances on new artists who are just extremely skilled....

...it's all about having a finished product that may just need a bit of polish....the artists that usually get in and actually have albums released are artists who are able to build and sustain their own buzz independently in their own respective regions through their own means without the support of labels....

...in other words, it's about blowing up your region and generating your own fanbase, and forcing the labels to take notice of you....the demo is just about obsolete when it comes to major labels....it's a rare occasion that an artist gets signed and actually has albums released off the strength of a demo tape....think about guys who have been signed and have releases on major labels lately:

Rick Ross
Young Jeezy
Lupe Fiasco
all the new Texas ni##as who signing to majors (Big Tuck, Tum Tum, etc.)
Lil Boosie and Webbie (Trill's deal with Asylum)

....all these dudes have gotten their respective regions on LOCK before they signed major deals and had albums released.....
 06-01-2007, 06:26 AMaway - #7
DoctorJ|m 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$4,874 | POWERFUL
yea, homie above me has the right idea...

I coordinate the Hear My Voice Service Database along with Beverly Martin (Dir. of Regional Promotions for Sony)...and she'll school artists left and right.

Label A&Rs are looking for 'total package' artists. Basically that already have a full press kit. Regional buzz, documented sales, ownership of copyrights, radio airplay, collection of all contracts and offers, etc-etc. Professionally pressed cds and legal solicitation are a must in this business. Burned #### doesn't fly with A&Rs anymore. You'd be surprised how many cds Beverly gets sent, that (because their burned, there's no proof of copyrights, and there's no solicitation) she LEGALLLY isn't allowed to listen to...and just throws away.

Another thing - no record label is taking Myspace, etc-etc seriously.

Even A. Grumblatt from Koch has gone on record saying "A&Rs are looking for regional buzz, you have to be known, and I'm not talking about a million Myspace hits; I'm talking about a good bio, show experience, copyrights, involvement in record pools, radio airplay, etc - basically if the djs and artists of your area know you're name and music - it's a big possibility - labels are already researching you."
 06-01-2007, 06:45 AMaway - #8
kingofdasouf 3 heat pts

d 
space
$1,660 | 5219975
I know down here its all about the buzz u get in da streets....Alot of people are looking for talent down here now wit all da buzz around ATL...but before dat artist had to grind and take their records to da clubs, DJ's, radio station, etc...I can promise u now that everytime I go near Walters or downtown period, somebody down their trying to push a mixtape(at least when I go)...Its alot of outlets round here and if u got a huge buzz wit yo record in da clubs it will eventually get to the radio then somebody will scoop u up
 06-01-2007, 07:09 AMaway - #9
Kidd Vicious 

d 
space
$971 | 0
1) Get Shot
2) Shoot at ni##as (Either Miss or Flesh Wound em) n Get Caught, But beat tha Charge
3) Take Verbal shots at a rapper that is OBVIOUSLY better than u.
4) Get into a Near Fatal Car Wreck

This is how tha game is now a days.
 06-01-2007, 07:26 AMaway - #10
That Dude 

d 
space
$764 | 2379472
^^^lmao
 06-01-2007, 11:52 AMaway - #11
Aftashok 

d 
space
$8,178 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by rhymespitter84
lololololololololololololololol
ok well no, not in that case...but havin a co-sign from two of the biggest artists in the game (Kanye West and Jay-Z), and a feature on a single from one of the biggest albums out at the time, definitely doesn't hurt....he might not have had the Chi on lock, but his presence on the Internet, magazines, etc. gave him that status....
 06-01-2007, 01:58 PMaway - #12
G-Gutta 187 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,777 | 926197
Originally Posted by King Allister
 06-01-2007, 03:36 PMonline - #13
classicgstyle 

d 
space
$3,655 | 6356505
someone needs to hook me up with connections
 06-01-2007, 04:54 PMaway - #14
tmich19 

d 
space
$4,758 | 9157492
106 and park/Youtube.....
 06-01-2007, 05:02 PMaway - #15
mr_underground|m 77 heat pts77

d 
space
$14,030 | POWERFUL
well i do this all the time, you have to be a product, skill are meangless to a label, because remember they get 95% of the profit for the most part so its about units, if you are skilled and have a huge fanbase they will sign youm if you are sucky and have a huge fanbase they wills sign you, also if you are just as good and marketable as the current lineup they will sign you have have you wait till they finish raping the other guy ( major label) ask macus houston and his label, i got to know those guys well.....but if you know someone already in it they can help pitch you.

but honostly the suckier the better, because that means you are more disposable and you can influence a generation of complete suckiness for the labels to take advantage of faster because you will sound alike and they can get the next guy easy. so just watch a BET video and do exactly that and you chances are higher. also it helps to diss someone slightly more popular then you to cause contraversy, then you can start dissing bigger people, you would have to get you diss bar up like in a pokemone game or so you can change stages.

Last edited by mr_underground; 06-01-2007 at 05:09 PM..
 06-01-2007, 08:32 PMaway - #16
Young Eazy E 

d 
space
$3,758 | 10383268
Originally Posted by King Allister
That's funny because Kanye is one of the better emcees signed to a label. Hip Hop/Rap today is mainly garbage

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Aug 20 - Darren Wilson Brutally beaten... (according to Fox News)
105 comments
If The Rock is Black Adam, then who should play Shazam?
54 comments
NBA James Harden: I'm the Best Basketball Player Alive
73 comments
  Netflix, Amazon Prime Or Hulu?
New reply 7 minutes ago - 51 comments - by The Bearded One
 NBA This Nigga Joel Embiid Lmao
New reply 54 minutes ago - 59 comments - by King Henry
 NBA Name One Player That You Wish Wasn't On Your Team Anym...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 89 comments - by Chaq34
 Video inside Nicki Minaj - Anaconda [music Video]
New reply 1 hour ago - 277 comments - by Danny M
  If You Could Bring Back One Cancelled Tv Show And/or A...
New reply 33 minutes ago - 111 comments - by thirsty91
 Image(s) inside Fredo Santana X Farrakhan
New reply 1 hour ago - 62 comments - by BasedWavyBaby
  Aug 18 - Mike Brown Paid For Rillos , And Store Owners...
New reply 46 minutes ago - 208 comments - by Trolling
 NBA Espn Ranks Top 10 Shooting Guards
New reply 1 hour ago - 107 comments - by Bullet22

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.