b o x d e n hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now hot topics today top last 48 hours all sections videos pics tracks headlines  

French Montana Talks Record Deal, Ross & Akon

People Viewing This Topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot

join bx

share this topic Ľ   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook
 French Montana Talks Record Deal, Ross & Akon
topic by Brainwave - 01-02-2012, 01:59 PM

When did you first start rapping?

It was always something that we loved doing. It got serious during Ď05 or Ď04, but it was always a hobby. [Itís like] when you with your homeboys and everybodyís rapping. When I went in the studio and laid it down, it was a good experience. When youíre from the hood, and you love music, youíre always gonna be rapping. Hip-hop should be a part of your whole life. Everybody gonna think they can do it one time [in their life]. That phase just fades out.
Who were some of your musical influences?

Number one was Tupac. I liked Snoop, B.I.G., and Nas. That was my generation. It was a blend of everything [in '90s hip-hop]. Thatís when Wu-Tang was hot. That was my era. I know they had the era of the Rakims, but thatís for everybody thatís 30+. My era is 30 and under with the Wu-Tangs, Nas, Big Punójust that era.
How would you describe your style?

Musically, Iíll describe it as what you go through day-to-day. When you first start, and I feel like everybody goes through this, you try to read books and come up with the best words and lyrics or take in whatever you see. Then you get to a certain stage in your life you want to make music that you want people to feel like, "Damn, I just went through that!" Thatís how I put my music. I want people to listen to it and be like, "Damn, thatís how Iím feeling today." When you wake up feeling like this, you throw on this song. Thatís how I make my musicóby what Iím going through or how Iím feeling.
OK, that's your music. What about your personal style?

We hear you have a closet full of minks. Where does that infatuation come from?

I love them. Iím AfricanóKing Jaffe Joe [Laughs.]! Since I been doing it, I see a lot of rappers are trying to bring them back. Stop swagger-jacking!

I hear you almost got k!lled early in your rap career. What happened? And did you really get your career started with the settlement money?

I got shot coming out of a studio. It was about Ď03-í04. I guess somebody had a hit out on me, and I came out the studio and got shot in the head. I ended up in the hospital. It was murd3r case that I was dismissed off. No, [there wasnít any settlement money to start up my rap career]. People will spread all kind of rumors.
Have you kept in contact with Max B during his prison sentence?

Yeah, I spoke with Max B yesterday. Heís good. Heís f!ghting for his appeal. Hopefully heíll be released soon.
How did you and him become friends?

Through a couple of close friends that we both knew.
Last year, you had a pretty public beef with Jim Jones. Is that dead now or is there still a little animosity there?

Nah. Iím getting money and heís getting money. [The situation involving the hit on my head] had nothing to do with Jim Jones.

How did your Cocaine City DVD movement come about?

[Cocaine City started up] with me and one of my best friends, his name is Camz. One day, we were sitting down watching Smack DVD drinking and smoking, and we were like, "Man, we can do this." We knew a bunch of rappers that said letís go get it. I did my first one with Pee Wee Kirkland, Remy [Ma], a couple of other people, and then I threw myself into the mix. After that, it was history.
You were signed to Akonís Konvict Music label for a while. What ever happened with that?

Akon tried to help me out. He gave me a shopping deal. A shopping deal is when an artist takes a liking in you, and they try to take you to a label to get you signed. I was gonna go get signed to his label, but they were going through problems with Interscope, Akonís label over there. [As a result], my deal was over with him, so I went and did my own thing.

You also have a mixtape with Waka, Lock Out. How did that project get started?

Me and [Waka Flocka] have the same management. Thatís like my brother, so me and him just got together and was like, ĎLetís drop a mixtape.í It was an idea we had and we just did it [with Drama and Green Lantern].

What were those recording sessions like?

We was getting drunk and high. It was crazy. It was a lot of fun doing it.
How did you end up getting on the Maybach Music album?

Ross [extended the invitation]. We recorded in Daddyís House one day. He just called me over. He let me hear the whole album. He said, ĎWhat song you like?í I told him which one I liked ["Big Bank"] and he told me to put a verse on it. He called me three days after. like, "Look, I need your name on this." That was it.
Prior to your signing with Bad Boy, there were rumors that you had deals with Maybach Music and with G.O.O.D. Music on the table. Any of those factual?

My album is going to be executive produced by Puff and Rick Ross. Itís gonna be coĖBad Boy/MMG.
Maybachís a part of my deal. [Other labels that pitched deals] was G.O.O.D. Music, Roc Nation, Sony, Def Jam, Interscopeóif you can name them, it was on the table. [The decision to go to Bad Boy came] when I sat down with Puff. He let me get anything I wanted. He met everything I wanted. When I sat down with everybody else, they were still kind of like [hesitant on meeting my deal demands]. For Puff to bring Rick Ross to be a part of my situation was excellent for me. My album is going to be executive produced by Puff and Rick Ross. Itís gonna be coĖBad Boy/MMG.
Speaking of Kanye, didnít we see you backstage at the Watch The Throne tour?

Kanye invited me there. Shout-out to Kanye. Heís definitely one of my inspirations and I look up to him. I appreciate everything he did. Definitely shout-out to Jay-Z and Kanye. Theyíre legends. I had fun that day. I was just kicking it with them since they invited me to come.
Read The Rest Here
Who Is French Montana? | Complex

4 comments for "French Montana Talks Record Deal, Ross & Akon"

01-02-2012, 03:36 PMaway - #2
Brainwave 5389 heat pts5389

d 
space
$18,415 | POWERFUL
 01-02-2012, 06:58 PMaway - #3
LBoogie2122 8 heat pts

d 
space
$5,224 | POWERFUL
he should thank me and 2 others on here nobody was lookin out for the cocaine city dvd till we put it up on the net

pirates deserve respect too ;)

*waits for thank u from frenchie* :)
 01-03-2012, 10:50 AMaway - #4
davon4204 6 heat pts

d 
space
$11,979 | POWERFUL
French Montana is wack as hell. But non rappers seem to be the #### nowadays because the Industry is garbage. And they are promoting garbage.
 01-03-2012, 01:32 PMaway - #5
season 5 heat pts

d 
space
$2,353 | 6252432
good ####.

Video inside  Dec 21 - Police officer shot & killed in Florida
115 comments
Dec 21 - Police dispatch audio of two nypd officer shot
66 comments
What's Quentin Tarantino's best film in your opinion
106 comments
 Image(s) inside "i Guess Ya'll Can't Breathe Either"-the Gam...
New reply 59 seconds ago - 305 comments - by Bkjj11
 Image(s) inside Meek Mill On Bobby Shmurda Situation. (might Be Too Mu...
New reply 13 minutes ago - 69 comments - by FreeBigga
 Image(s) inside Q-tip Throwin Knowledge Darts At Iggy On Twitter
New reply 8 minutes ago - 155 comments - by ralph lauren
 Article inside Bobby Shmurda Facing A Total Of 71 Years In Prison
New reply 34 minutes ago - 192 comments - by sdot216
 Image(s) inside Godfather Fif Reacts To News Of 2 Police Officers Bein...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 142 comments - by Carlton Black
  Sony Emails Reveal Studio Head Wants Idris Elba For Th...
New reply 45 minutes ago - 56 comments - by weed
 NFL Espn Has To Do Something.
New reply 11 minutes ago - 91 comments - by The Boat
 Video inside Dec 20 - They Just Shot 2 Cops In Brooklyn By Topmkins
New reply 45 minutes ago - 888 comments - by cheenz

like bx on facebook follow bx on twitter
5,903 fans of BX | none new today 4,850 following | none new today

hot topic blog   Ľ    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.