This is BX @ Boxden.com

50 Things You Didn't Know About Nas (Complex)

50 Things You Didn't Know About Nas (Complex)
topic by WCIB - 12-03-2012, 11:06 AM - Boxden > The Hip-Hop Spot

Last week, we dug up a ton of obscure facts for a post revealing 50 things you didn't know about Jay-Z. And since we did one on Hov, it's only right to doone for Nas, because since the turn of the century, every rap fan knows that it's difficult to mention one of these artists without at least thinking of the other.

Nas is one of the greatest rappers ever, but he doesn't always like to reveal much about himself. He's sometimes elusive in interviews, and in many instances, isn't even the protagonist in his own songs, but instead an observer. Maybe that's why this year's Life Is Goodwas so well-received—it was such a personal project.

So, to put some aspects of the legendary MC's air of mystery to rest, we did some more digging and found several lesser known facts about n@sty Nas. Here's our list of 50 Things You Didn't Know About Nas.

50. He did Illmatic's "N.Y. State of Mind" in one take.
49. He was offered and declined an audition for the lead in Save The Last Dance.
48. His daughter Destiny is listed as an Executive Producer on Stillmatic so she can always receive royalty checks from the album.
47. He sold a painting he had just completed for $14,000 at Art Basel Miami. The profits went to charity.
46. Large Professor would bring Nas to studio sessions during the making of Eric B. & Rakim's Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em.
45. Russell Simmons thought Illmaticwould be a commercial flop, and that Nas sounded too much like Kool G Rap.
44. He wrote a screenplay called Scared and put up his own money to hire a cast and crew to shoot the film. He claims to have a copy of it on VHS but never intends to release it.
43. His advance was worth $17,000 after signing with Columbia Records.
42. He used to call himself Kid Wave. > 50 Things You Didn't Know About Nas (Complex) - Photo posted in The Hip-Hop Spot | Sign in and leave a comment below!
41. "Live ni##a Rap" was originally Mobb Deep's record for Hell on Earth, but Nas bought it from them so he could use it on It Was Written.
Read the full story.
40. Columbia Records had to redesign Nas' website in 1996 after the bulletin board section became overrun with racist messages.
39. It Was Written was supposed to be produced entirely by Marley Marl, but the idea fell through when Nas heard unfinished songs on the radio.
Read the full story.
38. 50 Cent was briefly in Nas' Firm crew, but left after it didn't work out.
Read the full story
37. The original version of "Ether" was produced by Swizz Beatz.
Read the full story.
36. God's Son originally was an all-out battle record with Nas dissing nearly every popular rapper at the time, but he reconsidered and scrapped all of the songs.
35. He admits he messed up a lyric on "The Set Up" because he was too high
Read the full story.
34. To get the stars amped up, Hype Williams would have Nas, DMX, and others run around a building during the filming of Belly.
33. Ill Will introduced Nas to Chinese food by telling him to stick a plate out his window and dropping the food from the apartment above him.
32. He was supposed to be on The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill but couldn't make the studio sessions.
Read the full story.
31. Illmatic was so heavily bootlegged that MC Serch claims they found a garage with 60,000 copies of bootleg Illmatic albums before the album's release.
30. He got rid of his Lexus because he wanted to get a better car than Jay-Z's.
Read the full story.
29. He recorded "Ghetto Dreams" on a handheld mic rather with a traditional studio booth set-up.
Read the full story.
28. Mobb Deep formally introduced Nas to Raekwon and Ghostface k!llah.
Read the full story.
27. "Nas Is Like" almost didn't happen because DJ Premier had planned on throwing out the record with the sample on it.
Read the full story.
26. He meet Kelis at Cipriani in 2002 during Diddy's MTV VMAs afterparty.
25. During the height of his feud with Jay-Z, Nas called the Roots "sambos," "hypocrites," and "porch monkeys" on Hot 97 for performing with Jay on MTV's Unplugged. (> 50 Things You Didn't Know About Nas (Complex) - Photo posted in The Hip-Hop Spot | Sign in and leave a comment below!)
24. I Am was supposed to have skits, but before Nas could record them someone walked into the studio with a bootleg copy of the album.
23. He had to talk Pete Rock into singing the chorus on "The World Is Yours" after Rock initially refused.
Read the full story.
22. He lived in Crown Heights, Brooklyn before he lived in Queensbridge.
21. The original version of "Ether" featured the line, "It should've been you in that plane crash"—referring to the plane crash Aaliyah died in.
Read the full story.
20. Kelis' father was also a jazz musician who played in the same bands as Nas' father.
19. According to Carmen Bryant, Nas would disappear: She once found him in his "secret" Long Island apartment with pages of rhymes everywhere.
18. He recorded a different verse for Fat Joe's "John Blaze" that's never been heard.
Read the full story.
17. When Steve Stoute first went to Queensbridge looking for Nas, Jungle pulled a gun on him.
Read the full story.
16. According to Prodigy, Mike Delorean from Bars-N-Hooks once had a physical f!ght with Nas at Sony Studios.
15. After having nothing decent to wear to the 1995 Source Awards and then watching Biggie win all of the major awards, he was convinced that he had to make a change.
14. Raekwon helped Nas formulate his verse for "Verbal Intercourse."
Read the full story.
13. Acccording to Carmen Bryant, one of the reasons Nas didn't sign to Bad Boy was because Craig Mack was creating problems.
12. Salaam Remi got Nas and Funk Master Flex on the phone to squash the beef between him and Hot 97.
11. He played the trumpet when he was six but his father took it away for fear it would disfigure his lips.
10. He's recorded several sequels to his most popular records, but never released them because he thought they weren't as good as the originals.
Read the full story.
9. He had to convince his daughter to avoid getting involved when Kelis started taking shots at him during their marital problems.
Read the full story.
8. He originally wanted his favorite singer Denise Williams to do the hook on "Street Dreams (Remix)."
Read the full story.
7. Nas originally didn't want the Trackmasters as producers because of their mainstream sound. He was scared of being labeled a "sellout"
Read the full story.
6. The first time he met Kelis, he said, "I've been wanting to make you my wife for all these years."
5. He lists Reasonable Doubt as one of his favorite albums.
Read the full story.
4. He's a fan of the HBO show Girls.
3. He cried when he heard 2Pac diss him on "Against All Odds." (This can't be life. > 50 Things You Didn't Know About Nas (Complex) - Photo posted in The Hip-Hop Spot | Sign in and leave a comment below!)
2. After not speaking to Nas for a year, Carmen Byrant heard "Ether" and "Superugly," called Nas, and said she loved him.
(Who the #### is Carmen Bryant btw?)
1. His daughter Destiny helped him with choruses and gave him words to rap about on Stillmatic.

Source: 50 Things You Didn't Know About Nas | Complex

> 50 Things You Didn't Know About Nas (Complex) - Photo posted in The Hip-Hop Spot | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Latest Hip-Hop Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

110 comments for "50 Things You Didn't Know About Nas (Complex)"

12-03-2012, 11:08 AMaway - #2
Minister 105 heat pts105

d 
space
$19,736 | POWERFUL
carmen bryant is the reason there was condoms on his baby seat
 12-03-2012, 11:09 AMaway - #3
Minister 105 heat pts105

d 
space
$19,736 | POWERFUL
"me and a.i. had more in carmen(common)"

dey both slided that
 12-03-2012, 11:11 AMaway - #4
Minister 105 heat pts105

d 
space
$19,736 | POWERFUL
"Me and the boy AI got more in common than just balling and rhyming
Get it? More in Carmen
I came in your Bentley backseat, skeeted in your Jeep
Left condoms on your baby seat
Here ni##a, the gloves is off, the love is done
It's whatever, whenever, however ni##a - one
And since you infatuated with saying that gay ####
Yes you was kissing my di#k when you was kissing that ####"

ni##as wanna #### n supa ugly but dem personals

nasir couldn't sleep that night
 12-03-2012, 11:12 AMaway - #5
skillahmang 2 heat pts

d 
space
$17,216 | POWERFUL
Carmen Bryant was his baby Momma that ####ed Jigga.

Great Post and Read by the way. Some interesting facts.

No wonder Swizz listens to Ether while sittin in his Beamer. Its probably the OG version.

12-03-2012, 11:15 AMaway - #6
TheMob 80 heat pts80

d 
space
$7,933 | POWERFUL
This is an amazing thread.

There would always be one #### to post bull #### though

It should have been you in that plane crash

We need that version of Ether
 12-03-2012, 11:30 AMaway - #7
HoLLiwood Heyti 

d 
space
$2,556 | 10844059
31. Nas wrote a hot line, jay-z made that same line a hot song
 12-03-2012, 11:33 AMaway - #8
TheMob 80 heat pts80

d 
space
$7,933 | POWERFUL
Camel warriors already in full throttle

12-03-2012, 11:40 AMaway - #9
esvi 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$1,818 | 16419007
Originally Posted by 1994Nuisance
He cried when he heard 2Pac diss him on "Against All Odds"

actually i would have too

i love this track with a passion
against all odds might be one of the truest and deepest diss records of all time
 12-03-2012, 11:41 AMaway - #10
WCIB 94 heat pts94

d 
space
$13,580 | POWERFUL
Lol @ themob

Thanks for the heads up on his baby moms. I never knew her name like that.
 12-03-2012, 11:44 AMaway - #11
Minister 105 heat pts105

d 
space
$19,736 | POWERFUL
I really want to shoot you right now
blood thirsty for power a$s ni##a
 12-03-2012, 11:44 AMaway - #12
Sin Loc 41 heat pts41

d 
space
$1,783 | POWERFUL
Russell Simmons thought Illmatic would be a commercial flop, and that Nas sounded too much like Kool G Rap.
 12-03-2012, 11:45 AMaway - #13
Minister 105 heat pts105

d 
space
$19,736 | POWERFUL
she wrote a book on the whole #### when im bored ill read it

tales of a nas lost

camel battleships on decc for the #### ni##as
 12-03-2012, 11:45 AMaway - #14
El Fuerte 

d 
space
$3,185 | 16006397
G.o.a.t
 12-03-2012, 11:46 AMaway - #15
Satire 6 heat pts

d 
space
$5,190 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheMob
This is an amazing thread.

There would always be one #### to post bull #### though

It should have been you in that plane crash

We need that version of Ether
Bout to jack Swizzy's hard drive right now
 12-03-2012, 11:51 AMaway - #16
Crookz 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$11,003 | POWERFUL
nas really a dirty bk ni##a
 12-03-2012, 12:04 PMaway - #17
UrbanGAAWD 192 heat pts192

d 
space
$6,341 | POWERFUL
MY GOD.....GIVE ME THAT VERSION OF ETHER

I wonder if Jigga or Bey would ever do something like that for Blue Ivy...listing your daughter as a EP on your most profitable album is pretty much a smart move by god son.....props Nas
 12-03-2012, 12:17 PMaway - #18
Minister 105 heat pts105

d 
space
$19,736 | POWERFUL
Say it to my face

12-03-2012, 12:46 PMaway - #19
Smokeen Freeman 2 heat pts

d 
space
$5,832 | 15663920
i WONDER IF THEY GOT NUMBER 16 OUT OF A BOOK.
 12-03-2012, 01:45 PMaway - #20
Melle 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$2,250 | 19728887
40. Columbia Records had to redesign Nas' website in 1996 after the bulletin board section became overrun with racist messages.
sounds a lot like this place called slumz.boxden.com!!!

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Aug 31 - Breaking: Celebrity Nude Leak
237 comments
Actress Judy Greer Was a Hollywood Plant to ruin M.Knight Shama..
56 comments
Whats the worst movie you've ever watched?
110 comments
 NCAAF Jameis Winston Amazing 28 Yard Td Run. (video)
New reply 3 minutes ago - 66 comments - by FreeBigga
 Video inside Madden Fan Drops $95 On Ultimate Team, Interrogated By...
New reply 28 minutes ago - 96 comments - by Cool Story
  Aug 31 - 9-year-old Is Executed: Where's The Outrage?
New reply 14 minutes ago - 85 comments - by pa_general
 Image(s) inside Remember When Wale Was On The Jamie Foxx Show.....
New reply 36 minutes ago - 99 comments - by BasedonMars
 Image(s) inside Actors/actresses You Cant Stand
New reply 18 minutes ago - 130 comments - by italiansteve
 NBA Rondo Wants Out (macmullen)
New reply 40 minutes ago - 128 comments - by Jiraiya
 NBA Do You Think Anyone In The League Can Beat Kobe's 81 P...
New reply 25 minutes ago - 112 comments - by Bastille
 Video inside Iggy Azalea...b*tch Was With Him Shooting In The Gym
New reply 56 minutes ago - 89 comments - by local celebrity

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.