This is BX @ Boxden.com

Pics Of Soldiers Before, During, And After War

Pics Of Soldiers Before, During, And After War
topic by Chedda - 05-07-2013, 10:08 PM - Boxden > Wild videos, news, and other media

Photographer Lalage Snow, who is currently based in Kabul, Afghanistan, embarked on an 8-month-long project titled We Are The Not Dead featuring portraits of British soldiers before, during, and after their deployment in Afghanistan. Similar to Claire Felicie's series of monochromatic triptychs, Snow captures the innocent expressions of these men transformed into gaunt, sullen faces in less than a year.

The three-panel juxtaposition allows the viewer to observe the physical changes a stationed soldier in a war zone goes through. Time is sped up for these men under the beating sun, amidst combat. Regardless of age, the boys that went in came back as men with experiences beyond their years. As weathered and worn as their skin or sunken in faces may appear, it's their dilated eyes that are the most telling.

Additionally, Snow's series accompanies each triptych with quotes from each of the servicemen that gives a great deal of insight into their mental and emotional state at each given time. Sergeant Alexander McBroom's first portrait, before deployment, features him bravely saying, "I am not worried about going out - it is my job after all." Three months later, he is quoted as saying, "It has been an eye opener." And, finally, another four months after, he says, "It is always that fear, that apprehension, what is going to happen if I get blown up?" Having gone through life-altering trials and warfare, it is no surprise that fear is no longer a foreign feeling to these courageous men.

Snow's intention with the series is to not only honor their bravery by featuring them, but to also draw attention to every soldiers' psychological transformation. She says, "It was a very personal project and stemmed from having embedded with the military on and off for 4 years in Iraq and Afghanistan and bearing witness to how many young men return as shadows of their former selves and, in many cases, with deep, psychological scars. As the body count of British servicemen k!lled or wounded rose and the political ramifications of the British army’s presence in Afghanistan became increasingly convoluted, more and more soldiers felt like they didn’t have a voice, or at least, weren’t being listened to. We Are The Not Dead is an attempt at giving the brave young men and women the chance to explain how it really is."

Private Chris MacGregor, 24
> Pics Of Soldiers Before, During, And After War - Photo posted in Wild videos, news, and other media | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Lance Corporal Sean Tennant, 29
> Pics Of Soldiers Before, During, And After War - Photo posted in Wild videos, news, and other media | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Private Ben Frater, 21

Corporal Steven Gibson, 29

Second Lieutenant Struan Cunningham, 24

Private Fraiser Pairman, 21

See Source and more pictures at Portraits of Soldiers Before, During, and After War - My Modern Metropolis

You can definitely see a difference in these peoples persona. Mostly their eyes.

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

97 comments for "Pics Of Soldiers Before, During, And After War"

05-07-2013, 10:11 PMaway - #2
Frasier 157 heat pts157

d 
space
$11,391 | POWERFUL
Yeah this reminds me of some.pics my grandma had at her house of her brother (my great uncle)

She had a picture of before he left for the KoreanWar and after. The difference was mind boggling. Great post
 05-07-2013, 10:14 PMaway - #3
StylinOnYou 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$18,278 | POWERFUL
at the struggle in the during pictures.
 05-07-2013, 10:24 PMonline - #4
Chedda 170 heat pts170

d 
space
$5,277 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by StylinOnYou
at the struggle in the during pictures.
Yeah, you can tell they're really stressed out.
 05-08-2013, 12:10 AMaway - #5
YungAJ24 1 heat pts

d 
space
$848 | 2328695
Dat first ni##a look like he went zombie mode
 05-08-2013, 12:13 AMonline - #6
Chedda 170 heat pts170

d 
space
$5,277 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by YungAJ24
Dat first ni##a look like he went zombie mode
He kinda reminded me of that actor that played Jackson in the movie Saving Private Ryan.

05-08-2013, 02:03 PMaway - #7
GrindPOWER$ 257 heat pts257

d 
space
$10,089 | POWERFUL
war what is it good for.
 05-08-2013, 02:09 PMonline - #8
young_fletch 9 heat pts

d 
space
$901 | 5003512
they all look healthiest in the middle pic...but the aftermath
 05-08-2013, 02:12 PMonline - #9
TimmyGee 3 heat pts

d 
space
$7,950 | POWERFUL
I like how you can see the de@th of their past life in their eyes..
 05-08-2013, 02:48 PMaway - #10
D1nOnlyMrM@ 32 heat pts32

d 
space
$9,754 | POWERFUL
they are drugged up in the 2nd pic.i guarantee it. not illegally either... gvmnt calls it special vitamins... or at least they use to. #### they gave my gramps heroin and told him that. him being from bubba#### he aint know... BUT... he came back home
 05-08-2013, 02:49 PMaway - #11
Solid2 snake 

d 
space
$2,313 | 6316866
The 4th dude look like a cold blooded k!ller...

He prob still merkin ni##as after the war
 05-08-2013, 02:49 PMaway - #12
DAT BOI TREY 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$2,269 | 12282702
 05-08-2013, 02:54 PMaway - #13
Rico23 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$33,118 | POWERFUL
between poor eating and sleeping...and of course the mental effects....i cant say this is surprising at all
 05-08-2013, 03:16 PMaway - #14
Lil Jay 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$7,053 | POWERFUL
I bet if the order was at random, most of you couldn't get more than 50% of them in the correct order.
The biggest clue would be weight loss
 05-08-2013, 03:17 PMaway - #15
carloshoopla 1 heat pts

d 
space
$804 | 2490992
Thats what they get for trying to be heros in useless wars.
 05-08-2013, 03:52 PMaway - #16
King Dutch 3 heat pts

d 
space
$1,406 | 6782080
Everybody lose weight when they got to war. Either you at an outpost not getting fed, or you in the gym. If you get fat on a deployment your a loser.
 05-08-2013, 03:58 PMaway - #17
Tonero 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,861 | 6333619
Steve Gibson seems to be taking it easy . This is a far cry from my boys tour , he seems to be enjoying his military career . Just resigned for another in S. Korea
 05-08-2013, 03:58 PMaway - #18
italiansteve 809 heat pts809

d 
space
$4,544 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by carloshoopla
Thats what they get for trying to be heros in useless wars.
Another worthless #### living in his mothers house, that will never amount to anything
 05-08-2013, 04:06 PMaway - #19
Lucky Lucas 35 heat pts35

d 
space
$8,213 | POWERFUL
all here faces got less round lol
 05-08-2013, 04:21 PMaway - #20
PsychoCyber 5 heat pts

d 
space
$5,089 | 13362244
PsychoCybernetics is aware that ones psychological state directly reflects out to influence ones physical state. PsychoCybernetics is aware of the psychological trauma these men have possibly gone through and is in hopes that they use their newfound wisdom to become constructive rather than destructive towards others.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot > Wild videos, news, and other media

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Oct 20 - There's One Skill Worth More Than A Harvard ..
83 comments
NFL MNF - Texans vs. Steelers - 8:30PM
219 comments
Image inside  Fake Everything... i ain't complaining though - Ines
63 comments
  Omarion Breaks Up With Girlfriend Apryl After She Refu...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 192 comments - by weeknd44
 NBA Kobe Bryant: The Lakers Downfall " He's Not As Go...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 156 comments - by MrHashTag
 Image(s) inside I Think It Is Safe To Say That Any Bx Member Would Plo...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 64 comments - by Ole-G
 NBA Kobe To Julius Randle - "if You F*ck This Up, You...
New reply 15 minutes ago - 63 comments - by flyguy2000
 Video inside Oct 19 - Houston's First Openly Gay Mayor Demands Past...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 57 comments - by Carlton Black
  What Podcasts Help You Get Through Work?
New reply 16 minutes ago - 61 comments - by what ever
 NFL Bears Lose At Home; Postgame Locker Room "ugly Sc...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 86 comments - by Illuminati
 Image(s) inside Queen Vashti
New reply 18 minutes ago - 56 comments - by woodthatdude

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,827 fans of BX | none new today 4,790 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.