This is BX @ Boxden.com

How One Lottery Winner Blew Through $10 Million in Less Than 10 Years

How One Lottery Winner Blew Through $10 Million in Less Than 10 Years
topic by thetfd - 06-23-2013, 11:06 AM - Boxden > Wild videos, news, and other media

> How One Lottery Winner Blew Through $10 Million in Less Than 10 Years - Photo posted in Wild videos, news, and other media | Sign in and leave a comment below!
With a $338 million Powerball ticket having been sold in New Jersey -- the fourth-largest jackpot in Powerball history -- it's a good time to remember that the sudden gains of a lottery windfall can be fleeting.

Imagine, for instance, winning $10 million and having almost none of it left less than a decade later.

It happened to Sharon Tirabassi, a 35 year-old resident of Hamilton, Ontario. Nine years ago, The Hamilton Spectator reports, Tirabassi cashed a check from the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp. for $10,569,00.10 (Canadian). Today, after spending almost all her winnings -- "big house, fancy cars, designer clothes, lavish parties exotic trips, handouts to family, loans to friends" -- she's back in the working class: riding the bus, working part-time, living in a rented house.

What remains of her windfall is in trust for her six children; the money will become available when they turn 26.

"The moment I got it, I divided it among my family," Tirabassi told The Spec: $1 million to her parents, and $1.75 million among her four siblings. She was generous with others, too, buying houses and renting them out at low rates, paying people's rent, offering loans for bail and business ventures.

"All of that other stuff was fun in the beginning, now it's like ... back to life."

That other stuff included vacations in Cancun, Florida, Las Vegas, California, and the Caribbean, as well as four cars: a Hummer, a Mustang, a Dodge Charger and a custom Cadillac Escalade.

Tirabassi was a single mother, recently off welfare and newly employed as a personal care provider, when she struck it rich on Easter Weekend in 2004. As a teenager, she had lived in shelters, and all that money didn't come with instructions. Tirabassi didn't hire a financial adviser; she didn't even keep close track of her account balance. Suddenly, with just $750,000 left, Tirabassi woke up: "that was just time for fun to stop and to just go back to life."

Tirabassi's husband, Vinny, who brought three kids of his own to the marriage, shares her stoicism about the couple's lost fortune. He says he lived simply his whole life and is used to not being rich. Recalling the post-winning entreaties of suddenly interested friends, some of whom came asking for favors and then disappeared, Vinny says, "Money doesn't buy you happiness. It caused her a lot of headaches." His wife had a hard time saying no to those she thought of as in need: "That's the way I was brought up," she says. "Help those who can't help themselves."

For the complete story of the couple's financial descent, head over to The Spec.com, and check out the paper's 2007 interview with Tirabassi, when she had already spent half of her winnings.

Tirabassi's experience stands in contrast to that of Sandra Hayes, who pocketed around $6 million when she and a dozen coworkers split a $224 million Powerball jackpot in 2006. (Watch Hayes tell her story in the video below.)

Like Tirabassi, Hayes went on a spending spree -- including a boat, an Escalade and a Mercedes -- but she also paid off her mortgage and student loans, and was leery about handouts to friends and relatives. Today, Hayes lives comfortably but not extravagantly.

"I love a good deal, I'm on a budget, I save my money," she says. "I try not to live above my means." Her warning to the newly rich: "If you're not disciplined, you'll go broke. I don't care how much money you have."

Hayes sounds as though she might have taken lessons from Six Tips on How to Avoid Squandering a Financial Windfall. For more advice, check out these Powerball winners' lessons on how to hang on to your cash, whether you're a millionaire or just trying to make ends meet.

How One Lottery Winner Blew Through $10 Million in Less Than 10 Years - DailyFinance

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

90 comments for "How One Lottery Winner Blew Through $10 Million in Less Than 10 Years"

06-23-2013, 11:35 AMaway - #2
Kylluminati 

d 
space
$387 | 1125339
 06-23-2013, 11:40 AMaway - #3
One Gud Cide 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$8,311 | POWERFUL
they shoulda never gave you ni##as money
 06-23-2013, 12:06 PMaway - #4
cubes 2 heat pts

d 
space
$8,416 | POWERFUL
So really she only blew about 3 million...
 06-23-2013, 12:13 PMaway - #5
Andre3stacks 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$14,599 | POWERFUL
im sorry but to be honest if i got rich id only tell my spouse and pay for them to keep my name anonymous. Best thing she did was save money for her kids but how much was that? and when they turn 26? Wont even get to spend it on college fees? But I guess at that age it would help.

No need to just give your mother a million like that and divide money among siblings just help here and there.
 06-23-2013, 12:14 PMaway - #6
S0ap 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$2,215 | POWERFUL
Sharon, you ####in dummy.
 06-23-2013, 01:36 PMaway - #7
DreamChasers 67 heat pts67

d 
space
$5,166 | POWERFUL
LOL! she was buying people houses and ####.. of course

Shut up and... Take my money??
 06-23-2013, 01:45 PMaway - #8
Kooper 62 heat pts62

d 
space
$10,412 | POWERFUL
Vacations in the country and Mexico

06-23-2013, 02:40 PMaway - #9
ricengravy 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,527 | 8200434
nobody caught the part she was paying ppl's bail lol .......

fk that nobody would know id won but my IMMEDIATE family not 1st cousins i see once a year i mean peeps i regulary speak 2
 06-23-2013, 02:51 PMaway - #10
Solid2 snake 

d 
space
$2,168 | 6222046
Stupid b!tch... She bought 4 regular cars too...
 06-23-2013, 02:52 PMaway - #11
One Gud Cide 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$8,311 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ricengravy
nobody caught the part she was paying ppl's bail lol .......

fk that nobody would know id won but my IMMEDIATE family not 1st cousins i see once a year i mean peeps i regulary speak 2
I'd tell every single person I met I don't give a #### they're still not getting ####
 06-23-2013, 03:23 PMaway - #12
NefDizzle 9 heat pts

d 
space
$2,134 | 13208057
Originally Posted by One Gud Cide
I'd tell every single person I met I don't give a #### they're still not getting ####
this

my moms my pops and my sister get 100k thats it then im gone
 06-23-2013, 03:33 PMaway - #13
aussie08 

d 
space
$1,205 | 3130320
shes fine tho...her 4 kids each get 1.75 million when theyre 26. She really didnt even spend that much if she still has 3/4 of a million.
 06-23-2013, 03:39 PMonline - #14
Agentzer0oo0 123 heat pts123

d 
space
$46,961 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by NefDizzle
this

my moms my pops and my sister get 100k thats it then im gone
100k?

I'm giving my moms a dollar & calling it a day

Dat savage life

Nah forreal tho I'd find some bull#### job where she literally has to do nothing but get paid. Same thing for my pops.

I'ma have a trust fund set up for my niece and that's it.

I'll probably read into Real Estate & how to properly invest in stock then just live a quiet life. I'ma be living like those rich white folks whose entire outfit will cost a fitted cap
 06-23-2013, 03:42 PMonline - #15
lboog1423 180 heat pts180

d 
space
$17,573 | POWERFUL
She was generous with others, too, buying houses and renting them out at low rates, paying people's rent, offering loans for bail and business ventures.

06-23-2013, 03:55 PMaway - #16
videoshirt 

d 
space
$263 | 2487325
my thing is how does she not still own the house she bought?

like seriously you are living in a rented house now so what happened to the house u bought when u got the money?

i mean that's really bad because most people, even if they went broke would at least still have a house PAID FOR
 06-23-2013, 04:12 PMaway - #17
bwlove02 

d 
space
$1,041 | 28552
Originally Posted by videoshirt
my thing is how does she not still own the house she bought?

like seriously you are living in a rented house now so what happened to the house u bought when u got the money?

i mean that's really bad because most people, even if they went broke would at least still have a house PAID FOR
She might not be able to pay the property tax.
 06-23-2013, 05:10 PMaway - #18
KRCROOKSNY 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$3,620 | 15808268
Originally Posted by cubes
So really she only blew about 3 million...
This.
 06-23-2013, 05:58 PMaway - #19
Kalon 4 heat pts

d 
space
$4,974 | POWERFUL
it says 4 SIBLINGS. ni##a, she gave that money to brothers and sisters not kids lmao
 06-23-2013, 06:33 PMonline - #20
kawgre12 4 heat pts

d 
space
$5,911 | 13001837
Originally Posted by aussie08
shes fine tho...her 4 kids each get 1.75 million when theyre 26. She really didnt even spend that much if she still has 3/4 of a million.
That 1.75 went to her brothers and sisters...it doesn't say how much her kids get

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot > Wild videos, news, and other media

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Jul 27 - Your ‘pure’ bottled water contains added chemicals and..
68 comments
Image inside  Beautiful Mixed MaMi Miss Kara Kara
60 comments
Video inside  Rainbow Six: Siege MP Gameplay Video
60 comments
 Image(s) inside Why Mase Have That Fu-ked Up Hat On His Album Cover
New reply 27 seconds ago - 106 comments - by KING JAYY
 Image(s) inside What's Your Favorite Drink From The Freestyle Coca Col...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 105 comments - by EscoNore
 Image(s) inside [chiwire] Durk Fu-kin W/ The Opps, Fredo Not With The ...
New reply 39 seconds ago - 287 comments - by Squadd
  Fab Tucced His Chain In Detroit Fuccin Wit Vezzo And T...
New reply 12 minutes ago - 141 comments - by SavageMitten
  Jul 26 - I’ve Worked At Mcdonald’s For 10 Years And St...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 318 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 OT Could An Assembled Group Of Bxsc Posters Beat The Best...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 71 comments - by HeatMafia410
 Video inside Batman V Superman Comic-con Trailer
New reply 10 minutes ago - 117 comments - by SM
 NBA Lebron James Going Back To Number 23
New reply 15 minutes ago - 185 comments - by MGz

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,757 fans of BX | none new today 4,750 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.