This is BX @ Boxden.com

Cockroaches Good For Environment, Biologists Say

topic by thetfd - 06-25-2012, 09:10 PM - Boxden > Wild videos, news, and other media

The sight of a c#ckroach makes just about every American shudder. We fear a roach infestation inside the walls. We fear that our house is dirty enough to sustain them. We fear that a c#ckroach might scurry across our faces at night, or, under cover of darkness, eat flecks of toothpaste off our toothbrushes.

These fears drive us to k!ll, k!ll, k!ll, and wish de@th upon the whole genus. But what if -- through some means more effective than a nuclear b0mb -- c#ckroaches really were wiped out? Could we then rest easy? Or do we, in fact, somehow need these monstrous vermin?

We put the question to Srini Kambhampati, professor and chair of the biology department at the University of Texas at Tyler, and a world expert on c#ckroaches. Turns out, the sudden disappearance of Earth's 5,000 to 10,000 c#ckroach species would have ramifications far beyond your filthy apartment. [Chocolate Allergies Linked to c#ckroach Parts]

Worldwide, the insects are a significant food source for many birds and small insectivorous mammals, such as mice and rats. (Even humans eat them in some parts of the world.) None of these animals rely solely on c#ckroaches for food, Kambhampati said, so they probably wouldn't go extinct, but their numbers would drop. Parasitic wasps, which specialize in parasitizing c#ckroach eggs, do rely entirely on the c#ckroach. "These would almost certainly become extinct," Kambhampati told Life's Little Mysteries.

If you can't get very worked up about a dent in the rat population or the extinction of something called a parasitic wasp, consider this: A dearth of mice and rats would, in turn, impact the species that prey on them, including cats (both wild and domestic), coyotes, wolves and many reptiles, as well as eagles and other birds of prey. Many of those animals, we're quite fond of.

Furthermore, the disappearance of c#ckroaches would mess with something truly vital for us all, called the nitrogen cycle.

"Most c#ckroaches feed on decaying organic matter, which traps a lot of nitrogen," Kambhampati said. "Cockroach feeding has the effect of releasing that nitrogen (in their feces) which then gets into the soil and is used by plants. In other words, extinction of c#ckroaches would have a big impact on forest health and therefore indirectly on all the species that live there."

In short, we really, really need c#ckroach poop.

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

9 comments for "Cockroaches Good For Environment, Biologists Say"

06-25-2012, 09:26 PMaway - #2
Bama Boy 76 heat pts76

d 
space
$49,728 | POWERFUL
and yet i will still squash the #### outta them on sight
 06-25-2012, 11:33 PMaway - #3
casper 1 heat pts

d 
space
$14,747 | POWERFUL
wow...the entire article, i was thinking "so what k!ll em all" im sorry if this offends u, or peta, but i would not be affected by the loss of wolves, coyotes & reptiles. i have pets but it also says they wouldnt be extinct, the population would just drop, which i'm cool with too...i hate all the damn strays i see, well, i guess i dont hate them, i just hate the fact that there is strays.

BUT, as weird as this may sound, once i got to the end of the article & it mentioned plants, i suddenly started to think more...plants give oxygen, & fruits & vegetables...many animals only eat plants....but while im posting this i'm changing my mind again...#### roaches, we cant k!ll them all anyway, them things outlasted dinosaurs...so i'd still k!ll everyone i see
 06-26-2012, 12:02 AMaway - #4
Slingy 32 heat pts32

d 
space
$1,663 | 19382098

06-26-2012, 03:22 AMaway - #5
kevante 3 heat pts

d 
space
$4,247 | 13611585
so, it's cool to k!ll them and eradicate them from houses, as long as the species doesn't go extinct?
 06-26-2012, 09:45 AMaway - #6
Ca$h Out 33 heat pts33

d 
space
$24,439 | POWERFUL
I'll k!ll them #### a$s ni##as...

them flying roaches ain't a joke.
 06-26-2012, 10:22 AMaway - #7
cylla 5 heat pts

d 
space
$2,231 | 3905904
Originally Posted by casper
wow...the entire article, i was thinking "so what k!ll em all" im sorry if this offends u, or peta, but i would not be affected by the loss of wolves, coyotes & reptiles. i have pets but it also says they wouldnt be extinct, the population would just drop, which i'm cool with too...i hate all the damn strays i see, well, i guess i dont hate them, i just hate the fact that there is strays.

BUT, as weird as this may sound, once i got to the end of the article & it mentioned plants, i suddenly started to think more...plants give oxygen, & fruits & vegetables...many animals only eat plants....but while im posting this i'm changing my mind again...#### roaches, we cant k!ll them all anyway, them things outlasted dinosaurs...so i'd still k!ll everyone i see
you're a dumb ####.
 06-26-2012, 11:58 AMaway - #8
The Bully 176 heat pts176

d 
space
$31,204 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by 1992
I'll k!ll them #### a$s ni##as...

them flying roaches ain't a joke.
i'll never forget waking up once to a flying c#ckroach landing on my face. i jumped out of bed and damn near broke all of my bones. still have nightmares about that to this day
 06-26-2012, 12:02 PMaway - #9
Skratch 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$7,565 | POWERFUL
Dont mind c#ck roaches, what we really need to k!ll are spiders, them ni##as need to go exinct, idc if ya'll think insect population would go up without them cause i dont believe it one bit, thats what cold weather is for, to k!ll bugs
 06-26-2012, 02:24 PMonline - #10
AI34Life 

d 
space
$3,460 | 6256006
Originally Posted by Birdman's Back
and yet i will still squash the #### outta them on sight

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Hip-Hop Spot > Wild videos, news, and other media

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Round Table Discussion On Wiggin's Sister
63 comments
Image inside  Briana: No photoshop. No filters.
53 comments
Name the TV series your straight up addicted too?
50 comments
 Image(s) inside Some Facts About China.......
New reply 1 minute ago - 70 comments - by BasedonMars
 NBA Wade & Union Joint Statement On Nude Pictures
New reply 28 minutes ago - 162 comments - by Dray
  Megan Good's Version Of Damage Control
New reply 11 minutes ago - 118 comments - by AmericanGangsta
 NFL Rgiii Jerseys Hit The Clearance Racks :dead: (pic)
New reply 29 minutes ago - 60 comments - by italiansteve
 Image(s) inside Sep 22 - Breaking: Us And ‘partners’ Launch Airstrikes...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 53 comments - by Sniggit
 NBA Lance Stephenson - Hot N**** [official Video]
New reply 34 minutes ago - 54 comments - by 10th Wonder
 BOX Mayweather Called Before State Panel
New reply 21 minutes ago - 88 comments - by stogz
 Video inside Angry Joe Destiny Review
New reply 36 minutes ago - 63 comments - by CarloGambino

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.