This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jan 26 - CareerBuilder Releases Annual List of Strangest Interview Blunders

Jan 26 - CareerBuilder Releases Annual List of Strangest Interview Blunders
topic by GoldRush - 01-26-2013, 07:54 PM - Boxden > Non-headline articles, author commentary, documentaries, and more

CHICAGO, January 9, 2013 – One-in-four workers (25 percent) reported they plan to change jobs in 2013 or 2014. If you’re looking to make a move in the New Year, check out CareerBuilder’s annual study on the most common – and most outlandish - job interview mistakes to avoid. The survey was conducted by Harris Interactive© from November 1 to November 30, 2012, and included more than 2,600 hiring managers and 3,900 workers nationwide.

Most Outrageous Interview Blunders

Inexperience with proper interview etiquette or the pressure to make a lasting impression on a prospective employer can sometimes cause workers to show surprising errors in judgment. Hiring managers provided real-life examples of the most peculiar behaviors they witnessed in job interviews:

· Candidate said he had to quit a banking position because he was always tempted to steal.

· Candidate denied that he had a cell phone with him even though it could be heard ringing in the briefcase beside him.

· Candidate emptied the employer’s candy dish into her pocket.

· Candidate said he didn’t like getting up early and didn’t like to read.

· Candidate asked to be paid “under the table.”

· Candidate reached over and placed a hand on the interviewer’s knee.

· Candidate commented that he would do whatever it takes to get the job done, legal or not.

· Candidate hugged the president of the company.

· Candidate called his wife to see what they were having for dinner.

· Candidate asked to postpone the start date so she could still get holiday gifts from vendors at her current job.

· Candidate called in sick to her current employer during the interview, faking an illness.

· Candidate said he didn’t want the job if he had to work a lot.

· Candidate wouldn’t answer a question because he thought they would steal his idea and not hire him.
> Jan 26 - CareerBuilder Releases Annual List of Strangest Interview Blunders - Photo posted in Non-headline articles, author commentary, documentaries, and more | Sign in and leave a comment below!...........> Jan 26 - CareerBuilder Releases Annual List of Strangest Interview Blunders - Photo posted in Non-headline articles, author commentary, documentaries, and more | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Six Fatal Interview Errors

While the outrageous can result in lost opportunities, so can other behaviors that are seen more frequently. When asked to identify the top detrimental mistakes in job interviews, hiring managers reported:

Mistake: Appearing disinterested is the No. 1 turnoff, according to 62 percent of employers.

Tip: A lack of enthusiasm can leave the employer feeling less than enthusiastic about you as a candidate. Maintain good energy throughout the interview. Make sure to ask thoughtful questions about the company’s competitive positioning and growth prospects, and come in with ideas.

Mistake: Answering a cell phone or texting – 60 percent

Tip: Make sure to turn your phone or tablet off, or better yet, leave them at home. This is a major pet peeve for employers and can often be a deal breaker.

Mistake: Dressing inappropriately – 60 percent

Tip: It’s better to err on the conservative. Wear a business suit or business casual (ie, a nice pair of pants/skirt and button down shirt).

Mistake: Talking negatively about a current or previous employer – 58 percent

Tip: This is a good way to be labeled as a troublemaker. Even if you are completely justified in your a$sessment of a past employer, don’t badmouth him/her. Focus on what you learned from that company and how it’s relevant to the job at hand.

Mistake: Failure to make eye contact (72 percent) or smile (42 percent), bad posture (38 percent) and a weak handshake (28 percent)

Tip: Body language speaks volumes. Chin up, back straight, big smile, firm but not too firm handshake and look straight at the interviewer.

Mistake: Not providing specific examples - 34 percent

Tip: Vague responses can sometimes imply a lack of knowledge or experience. Come equipped with specific examples of how you contributed to the success of other organizations, quantifying results whenever possible.

“One-in-four workers plan to find new jobs this year or next,” said Rosemary Haefner, Vice President of Human Resources at CareerBuilder. “A job interview can be one of the most nerve-wracking experiences out there, so it’s important to plan and practice. Have a friend run through a mock interview with you, asking questions you think will come up and some curve balls you’re not expecting. Thoroughly research the company ahead of time and draft responses that incorporate your accomplishments. The more prepared you are, the less likely you are to run into mishaps.”

CareerBuilder Releases Annual List of Strangest Interview Blunders - CareerBuilder

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

11 comments for "Jan 26 - CareerBuilder Releases Annual List of Strangest Interview Blunders"

01-27-2013, 08:12 PMaway - #2
MoP 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,518 | 14857415
· Candidate wouldn’t answer a question because he thought they would steal his idea and not hire him.
Depending on what he was interviewing for, it might not be that strange.

· Candidate reached over and placed a hand on the interviewer’s knee.

Had the opposite of that situation happen to me with a older white chick.
 01-28-2013, 09:22 AMaway - #3
GST 

d 
space
$12,201 | POWERFUL
· Candidate asked to postpone the start date so she could still get holiday gifts from vendors at her current job.

priorities have gone to shyt i tell ya
 01-28-2013, 09:28 AMaway - #4
.amberlamps. 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$25,115 | POWERFUL
Candidate commented that he would do whatever it takes to get the job done, legal or not.
I'd hire that bastard.
 01-28-2013, 09:58 AMaway - #5
Jinusean 5 heat pts

d 
space
$3,099 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by S.TEX
I'd hire that bastard.
I know right? Be like, "anything huh? That's good because I have these annoying ex's that need to be taken to the cleaners...."
 01-28-2013, 03:24 PMaway - #6
Bossalinie 

d 
space
$4,199 | POWERFUL
some people say some funny #### on interviews.. i dont know if its nerves or what

i remember i was interviewing this one chick, i asked her why she left her last job and she said they fired her for always being late and her work performance was really bad.. i appreciated her honesty but after i heard that, i just wrapped up the interview and tossed her resume in the trash

another chick i was interviewing was real cool and we just chopped it up for like an hour or more when i interviewed her.. maybe an hour or so after the interview was done, she called and wanted to know if i wanted to come over to her place after i got off work.. yea she got hired lol
 01-28-2013, 04:26 PMaway - #7
blizzard 2 heat pts

d 
space
$530 | 2430869
Originally Posted by MoP
Depending on what he was interviewing for, it might not be that strange.

Had the opposite of that situation happen to me with a older white chick.

Man that ish cray. This has happened to me more than once. But I go into interviews like a chick would. If it is a woman just chop her up. I swear women are slow when it comes to dudes that don't sweat them. Me and my friend always talk about job interviews cause if your are brown like me you DO NOT WANT a white dude or black woman to interview you... You will not get the job.

Go to go in there like this on these hoes!

01-28-2013, 05:11 PMaway - #8
GoldRush 59 heat pts59

d 
space
$1,719 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by S.TEX
I'd hire that bastard.

Originally Posted by Bossalinie
some people say some funny #### on interviews.. i dont know if its nerves or what
* It is.

Originally Posted by Bossalinie
another chick i was interviewing was real cool and we just chopped it up for like an hour or more when i interviewed her.. maybe an hour or so after the interview was done, she called and wanted to know if i wanted to come over to her place after i got off work.. yea she got hired lol

lol, u lucky son of a ####
 01-28-2013, 05:14 PMonline - #9
Yung Dilla 1214 heat pts1214

d 
space
$41,674 | POWERFUL
 01-28-2013, 05:51 PMaway - #10
shadychef04 98 heat pts98

d 
space
$3,205 | POWERFUL

Last edited by shadychef04; 01-28-2013 at 05:58 PM..

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines > Non-headline articles, author commentary, documentaries, and more

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Andrew Wiggins' girl
81 comments
Image inside  The Official "I thought this actor was gonna blow up...
139 comments
PlayStation 4 getting Internet TV this year
68 comments
  Unconfirmed Theories/opinions/rumors In Hip Hop You Pe...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 156 comments - by True Sinister
 Video inside Fashawn Reacts To Nipsey Hussle's $100 Mixtape, Says &...
New reply 17 minutes ago - 65 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 NBA Wade & Union Joint Statement On Nude Pictures
New reply 4 minutes ago - 146 comments - by Dray
 Video inside Rosie Perez Talks About Smoking With Pac, Hitting On H...
New reply 17 minutes ago - 62 comments - by HipHopFactz
  The Best Era In Hip Hop = 1997-2005 (?)
New reply 5 minutes ago - 147 comments - by Littlefinger1
 NFL Deangelo Hall Out For Remainder Of The Season. :smh:
New reply 25 minutes ago - 67 comments - by FreeBigga
 NCAAF Nfl Scout Says Jameis Winston Is Now A Late 2nd Rounde...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 65 comments - by italiansteve
 BOX Mayweather Called Before State Panel
New reply 47 minutes ago - 79 comments - by stogz

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.