This is BX @ Boxden.com

Dec 19 - 9 Incredibly Important Things That Happened In 2013 That Most People Aren’t Talking About

Dec 19 - 9 Incredibly Important Things That Happened In 2013 That Most People Aren’t Talking About
topic by RAZAH CUTS - 12-19-2013, 02:19 PM - Boxden > Non-headline articles, author commentary, documentaries, and more

In a media environment increasingly dominated by celebrity, scandal and the political horserace, many of the most important stories receive scant coverage. Here are nine hugely important things that happened in 2013 that are rarely discussed:

1. Human rights abuses in North Korean prisons reached a level not seen since the Nazi atrocities.
> Dec 19 - 9 Incredibly Important Things That Happened In 2013 That Most People Aren’t Talking About - Photo posted in Non-headline articles, author commentary, documentaries, and more | Sign in and leave a comment below!

A new report from the U.N. released in January found that hundreds of thousands of North Koreans are being subjected to historic human right abuses. Michael Kirby, a retired Australian judge who took the lead in creating the report, told BBC News “They had to live on rodents, grasshoppers, lizards and on grass and they were subject to cruelty, All in all it is a very horrifying story, the like of which I don’t think I’ve seen or read of since the Khmer Rouge [in Cambodia] and the Nazi atrocities during the second world war.” A former camp inmate “told investigators that he was lucky when a warden ordered the tip of his finger chopped off for damaging a piece of sewing equipment used to carry out forced labor — he could easily have been executed for the transgression.

2. The Tea Party became a major advocate for solar energy.
> Dec 19 - 9 Incredibly Important Things That Happened In 2013 That Most People Aren’t Talking About - Photo posted in Non-headline articles, author commentary, documentaries, and more | Sign in and leave a comment below!

In Georgia, the Tea Party has teamed up with clean energy advocates to bring more solar energy to the state, over the objections of utility giant Southern Co. Tea Party advocates are motivated not by reducing carbon emissions but by adding more competition to the energy market and reducing prices. Still, the atypical coalition could be a game-changer as renewable producers seek access to energy markets.

3. American cities criminalized homelessness.
In South Carolina, Columbia City passed an ordinance “to remove homeless people from the downtown business district.” Police officers are now specially a$signed to patrol the downtown area and a hotline was set up “so local businesses and residents can report the presence of a homeless person to police.” In Los Angeles, Harrisburg, and Raleigh authorities cracked down on good samaritans providing food to the homeless in public. New York, Palo Alto, Tampa and Miami have focused on criminalizing sleeping in public. Overall, these efforts make it next to impossible for the homeless — a population of about 600,000 in America — to get back on their feet.

4. Thousands of people who worked their entire lives had their pensions stolen.

In Illinois and Michigan, thousands of working Americans had their promised pensions stolen from them, despite guarantees in their states’ constitutions that protected their benefits. Those impacted include “retirees who worked their careers as sanitation engineers and teachers, firef!ghters and police officers, public defenders and city clerks” — many of whom will now be thrown into poverty. As these two Midwest states appear to be getting away with it, many other localities may follow suit.

5. More people died in America from $uicide than car accidents.
While mass shootings frequently land on the front page, many more people die of $uicide each year. Data released in this year, covering 2010, found that for the first time more people died from $uicide (38,364) than car crashes (33,687). While $uicide is frequently a$sociated with teenagers and the elderly, the growth has been fueled by “middle-aged Americans.” Experts speculate the rise might be attributable to middle-aged people “coping with the stress of caring for aging parents while still providing financial and emotional support to adult children.”

6. The oceans changed dramatically, transforming into an acidic stew inhospitable to marine life.
Much of the conversation about climate change focuses on rising temperatures. But carbon dioxide emissions is rapidly making the oceans inhospitable for marine life. Why? According to studies “the ocean absorbs about 30 to 40 percent of the atmosphere’s excess carbon, causing its pH to drop.” These acidity levels can corrode the shells of crustaceans, and have lead to an explosion in jelly fish populations. One Oregon fisherman reported, “Sometimes we’ll catch 4,000 or 5,000 pounds of jellyfish.” Another fisherman said that “he saw baby octopuses climbing up his crab line to escape the water. When he pulled up his crab trap, all the crabs were dead.”

7. The Supreme Court green-lighted the execution of people with severe mental disabilities.
In August, the State of Florida executed John Errol Ferguson, “a paranoid schizophrenic man who believes that he is the ‘Prince of God’ and that his execution is preparing him for ‘ascension.’” The Supreme Court has ruled that people with extreme mental disabilities are not constitutionally eligible for execution, but declined to intervene in Ferguson’s case and other cases like his. Last yeah, Texas executed Marvin Wilson, a man with an IQ of 61.
the rest at the link:

9 Incredibly Important Things That Happened In 2013 That Most People Aren't Talking About | ThinkProgress

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

22 comments for "Dec 19 - 9 Incredibly Important Things That Happened In 2013 That Most People Aren’t Talking About"

12-19-2013, 02:35 PMaway - #2
Nut-In-Honeys 9 heat pts

d 
space
$4,304 | POWERFUL
8. Vaccine conspiracy theories created localized epidemics of deadly, previously eradicated diseases.

In one Texas town a measles outbreak was traced to a mega-church pastor who preached against vaccines. Meanwhile, in the Netherlands, more 1,200 people contracted Measles. The outbreak was traced to “the country’s extensive Bible Belt where the majority of fundamentalist Protestants do not believe in having their children vaccinated.”

9. Cities and counties sought to boost their economy by attracting undocumented immigrants.

Much recent coverage has focused on states like Arizona and Alabama that have sought to make their states as inhospitable as possible to undocumented immigrants — with disastrous consequences. But other cities and counties have taken the opposite approach in an effort to boost their local economies, bucking federal guidlines and welcoming the undocumented. In Dayton, Ohio officials “make no effort to pursue residents without legal status, if they are otherwise law-abiding.” In Philadelphia, members of the city council are encouraging Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to stop detaining undocumented immigrants that aren’t dangerous. Meanwhile, Newark Police announced they would “decline immigration detainers issued to the department”by ICE.
 12-19-2013, 03:16 PMaway - #3
D.IrIsH 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$1,494 | 20784716
Definitely all very important things...

The world is a changing, faster and faster every day...
 12-19-2013, 03:25 PMaway - #4
Mattaveli 

d 
space
$1,564 | 12443141

This is the cdc.gov website. Im not saying they cause autism or whatever, just that there are some possible negative effects. Permanent brain damage and lowered consciousness are frequently listed.
 12-19-2013, 03:44 PMaway - #5
One Gud Cide 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$8,669 | POWERFUL
same with every medication ever. it's called side effects

so we should just throw them all out right?
 12-19-2013, 03:51 PMaway - #6
Mattaveli 

d 
space
$1,564 | 12443141
Originally Posted by One Gud Cide
same with every medication ever. it's called side effects

so we should just throw them all out right?
Did I say that? I know everything is us vs them, but I dont subscribe to that concept. Im just stating the fact that vaccines and, as you mentioned, pharmaceuticals are neither all good or all bad. They may or may not be beneficial depending on the situation and person. I would urge people to educate themselves on any substance before allowing it in their body. Please do not take my word for it or anyone elses, look into things for yourself.
 12-19-2013, 05:12 PMaway - #7
d3athb4dishonor 5 heat pts

d 
space
$6,563 | 20670998
That's funny about the homeless thing. Especially if you actually talk to some you'll find a few served in the military. I don't care I'll still buy a ni##a a sandwich or something if I see one.
 12-19-2013, 06:39 PMaway - #8
Propel Water 5 heat pts

d 
space
$13,396 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Mattaveli

This is the cdc.gov website. Im not saying they cause autism or whatever, just that there are some possible negative effects. Permanent brain damage and lowered consciousness are frequently listed.
vaccines are interesting…

they also use peanut oil in them, which causes the deadly peanut allergy people suffer from

i feel like if they tweaked them they'd be perfect… this autism #### is sad
 12-19-2013, 07:29 PMaway - #9
DominicanLou 4 heat pts

d 
space
$3,292 | 17083344
Originally Posted by Propel Water

they also use peanut oil in them, which causes the deadly peanut allergy people suffer from

Mind blown about the peanut allergy
 12-20-2013, 01:01 AMaway - #10
GameTheory 36 heat pts36

d 
space
$6,342 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Mattaveli
Did I say that? I know everything is us vs them, but I dont subscribe to that concept. Im just stating the fact that vaccines and, as you mentioned, pharmaceuticals are neither all good or all bad. They may or may not be beneficial depending on the situation and person. I would urge people to educate themselves on any substance before allowing it in their body. Please do not take my word for it or anyone elses, look into things for yourself.
do you know ANY immunology? Cause you sound like you failed intro to biology.
 12-20-2013, 01:21 AMaway - #11
NiMaD 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,292 | 3966476
Gov spreads deadly virus in a area where there is opposition and then get to blame the outbreak on the opposition.... Yea that would be impossible.

Myself, Wife and 2 kids dont get that garbo shot into us. Son 5 had his shots til 1 then after our own independent research for months stopped it. We MIGHT get a cold/flu like once every 1.5/2 years.
When i #### you not i have friends who are up to date on their shots who and their kids get sick ATLEAST once a month.
 12-20-2013, 01:26 AMaway - #12
Fedor Christ 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$4,677 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by NiMaD
Gov spreads deadly virus in a area where there is opposition and then get to blame the outbreak on the opposition.... Yea that would be impossible.

Myself, Wife and 2 kids dont get that garbo shot into us. Son 5 had his shots til 1 then after our own independent research for months stopped it. We MIGHT get a cold/flu like once every 1.5/2 years.
When i #### you not i have friends who are up to date on their shots who and their kids get sick ATLEAST once a month.
Just curious my man but where do you and your wife work? Like, what do y'all do for a living?
 12-20-2013, 05:48 AMaway - #13
ONESUN187 2 heat pts

d 
space
$887 | 2248051
Mind your ####ing business!!!
 12-20-2013, 05:49 AMaway - #14
ThRoWeD MaN LaN 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,409 | 15257863
It's insane how we treat our mentally ill and homeless. I wish they would have provided citations, tho', in case the reader wanted to delve a little deeper.
 12-20-2013, 09:15 AMaway - #15
Old Man Quillis 14 heat pts14

d 
space
$22,132 | POWERFUL
Nobody ever talks about how much cocaine, Meth and Heroin has flooded the streets.
 12-20-2013, 12:16 PMaway - #16
jBoRiCuA 8 heat pts

d 
space
$2,466 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by NiMaD

Did you forget that the flu can be DEADLY, especially to children? Despite the controversies don't forget about history, man. One of my boys recently had to get hospitalized for early onset flu. ni##a came close to de@th, and mind you he's in his mid 20's.

Kids are supposed to get sick, it attributes to building a strong immune system. So many parents nowadays are sticklers about their kids getting dirty n ####, but don't even understand that can lead to serious ####in allergies and being a sickly adult.
 12-21-2013, 10:35 AMonline - #17
J.BEEZY 7 heat pts

d 
space
$5,190 | 11326612
No fukushima
 12-21-2013, 10:39 AMaway - #18
messy marv stan 1490 heat pts1490

d 
space
$11,471 | POWERFUL
take one year of war machine funding and the homeless problem would be solved
 12-21-2013, 12:40 PMaway - #19
HHS 1 heat pts

d 
space
$5,192 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Propel Water

I've heard that said before, but I haven't been able to find much info on it beyond anti-vax websites, which makes me skeptical.
 12-21-2013, 12:42 PMaway - #20
Mike in Tampa 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$10,239 | POWERFUL
didnt get the flu shot this year, and didnt get sick at all

when i was in the military the flu shot was mandatory and i got sick. coinkidink? i think not.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines > Non-headline articles, author commentary, documentaries, and more

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NBA LIVE 15 Gameplay Improvements: Offense
63 comments
NBA So Anthony Davis is the Best PF in the League?
60 comments
NBA Carmelo Anthony QUOTE OF THE YEAR!!!!
74 comments
 Video inside Acting Hard On Tv Goes Wrong!
New reply 5 minutes ago - 70 comments - by majestykagiso
 Article inside T.i. Protégé Doe B’s Gravesite “disturbed” By Culprits
New reply 35 minutes ago - 69 comments - by sdot216
 Article inside Beef ! Troy Ave Threatens Ilovemakonnen Hopefully It ...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 141 comments - by ajeana
 NBA Kobe Looking Far From Flabby
New reply 39 minutes ago - 77 comments - by KING JAYY
  Sep 30 - Two Female High School Teachers Accused Of Se...
New reply 23 minutes ago - 156 comments - by Blockburner28
 Image(s) inside Birdman Aint Playing No Games!
New reply 49 minutes ago - 89 comments - by Shadiah
 Image(s) inside G-unit Is On The Cover Of Xxl’s New Issue
New reply 25 minutes ago - 89 comments - by A.Dot789
  Shots Fired Ilovemakonnen Sends That Ether To Troy Ave
New reply 1 hour ago - 66 comments - by weeknd44

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,817 fans of BX | none new today 4,799 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.