space
$14,389 | POWERFUL
 09-14-2007, 01:57 PMaway - #62
BoSox84 

d 
space
$20,906 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by madness
i like that rodriguez is limiting his carries to keep him fresh for later on in the year
He's saving him for when we beat the #### out of Slaton again. He's gonna need a fresh back to try to run around us
 09-14-2007, 03:48 PMaway - #63
booker20 

d 
space
$10,292 | POWERFUL
COLLEGE PARK, MD-- After running for 137 yards and three touchdowns against Maryland on Thursday night, WVU tailback Steve Slaton must have been a little surprised when an unusually small contingent of reporters greeted him following the game. Slaton didn't have to look far for the cause, however; a few feet away, diminutive Noel Devine held court among the jesters.

The freshman, who gained one less rushing yard than Slaton on five breathtaking carries to help the Mountaineers improve to 3-0, took the pulsating mass of human interest in stride. "My linemen gave
me a lot of big holes tonight, so I've got to give them all the credit," Devine said. "Also, give credit to (WVU strength and conditioning coach) Mike Barwis for all the hard workouts he put me through this summer."

Although Devine tried to downplay his contribution to the Mountaineers' 31-14 victory, his teammates and coaches were clearly in awe of what the native of North Fort Myers, Fla., was able to accomplish in his first nationally televised performance.

Associated Press
Noel Devine averaged more than 25 yards per carry against Maryland.
"With his speed, you don't even need to make blocks for him. You just need to give him enough room to turn the corner," said left guard Greg Isdaner of Devine, who after three games has rushed for 256 yards and three touchdowns on 17 carries. "The scary thing is that he's still learning the system."

Added left tackle Ryan Stanchek, "He's the total package, a truly amazing athlete. With the backs we have, anything is possible."

Devine's quintet of carries against the Terrapins was a tantalizing reminder of the high school highlight tapes that became Internet lore among football fans. Although he didn't touch the ball on a play from scrimmage until the Mountaineers' opening drive of the second half, it didn't take long for Devine to steal the show from Slaton, who had already rushed for 103 yards and a touchdown before halftime.

On his very first carry, Devine sliced through the Maryland defense for 31 yards. Then, with 2:19 remaining in the third quarter, Devine turned his second touch into a 76-yard burst down the sideline
that ended a yard short of the end zone when Terrapins cornerback Kevin Barnes caught up with the Mountaineers' back after valiantly crossing the field. Devine's final three carries covered 18, five and six yards, respectively.

"I thought I was going to make it, but I just ran out of gas," a sheepish Devine said of his near-touchdown. "A few of the guys were joking about it on the sideline. They told me they thought I was faster than that."

WVU coach Rich Rodriguez needed no explanation from Devine. Following the game, he was clearly pleased with his situation at tailback.

"As many things as Noel does in practice, I think he's even better in a game," Rodriguez said. "Nothing flusters him. He gives me and coach (Calvin) Magee a great buffer zone in being able to give
Steve a rest, and I think we'll have to start playing them both back there at times."

Upon hearing of Rodriguez's stated intentions, Devine appeared unfazed, just as he had a short time earlier while dashing around, through, and past Terrapin defenders.

"If he says it, he means it. He's a man of his word. I just have to be patient and wait," Devine said. "I'm still learning the program. Once I get comfortable, I'll finally be able to show what type of back I can be."

A surreal thought, to be sure. But when Steve Slaton can rush for 136 yards and three touchdowns while slipping discretely into the night, anything seems possible these days for the WVU offense.
I jus want him to get about 10 carries a game I'll be happy
 09-15-2007, 01:08 PMaway - #64
AlCapone|m 

d 
space
$14,389 | POWERFUL
yea, just think of a wishbone w/ schmitt, slaton, & devine :wow:
 09-19-2007, 09:39 AMaway - #65
D.A.R.S. 4 heat pts

d 
space
$9,538 | POWERFUL
Noel Devine is already something serious, he's only gonna get better. It was sick watching him in high school
 09-23-2007, 01:08 PMaway - #66
LightsOut 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$11,612 | POWERFUL
If the D plays like they did yesterday for the rest of the year, then we will no doubt go undefeated....

Devine had a rough game, but I think other teams are actually keying in on him now
 09-23-2007, 01:12 PMaway - #67
BoSox84 

d 
space
$20,906 | POWERFUL
Ya'll ready for this?? It's gonna be a packed house ladies and gents
 09-23-2007, 06:16 PMaway - #68
AlCapone|m 

d 
space
$14,389 | POWERFUL
bring it on
 09-23-2007, 06:16 PMaway - #69
AlCapone|m 

d 
space
$14,389 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by LightsOut
If the D plays like they did yesterday for the rest of the year, then we will no doubt go undefeated....

Devine had a rough game, but I think other teams are actually keying in on him now
yea the D was solid yesterday
 09-24-2007, 03:03 PMaway - #70
BoSox84 

d 
space
$20,906 | POWERFUL
Game should officially be sold out within the next day or so. Can't wait for Friday night
 09-25-2007, 12:36 PMaway - #71
AlCapone|m 

d 
space
$14,389 | POWERFUL
big game comin up
 09-25-2007, 02:59 PMaway - #72
Junior G 75 heat pts75

d 
space
$46,399 | POWERFUL
can't wait for this ####
 09-26-2007, 06:03 PMaway - #73
AlCapone|m 

d 
space
$14,389 | POWERFUL
yessirr
 09-26-2007, 10:02 PMaway - #74
BoSox84 

d 
space
$20,906 | POWERFUL
Any of you West Virginia mother####ers coming down for the game?
 09-27-2007, 02:16 PMaway - #75
LightsOut 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$11,612 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by BoSox84
Any of you West Virginia mother####ers coming down for the game?
i wish i was, this is the only WVU game i won't be at this year
 09-27-2007, 07:55 PMaway - #76
AlCapone|m 

d 
space
$14,389 | POWERFUL
i can only wish i was
 09-28-2007, 12:30 PMaway - #77
AlCapone|m 

d 
space
$14,389 | POWERFUL

Devine taking country roads to find a home
By Joe Starkey
Special to ESPN.com

Country roads take me home,
to the place I belong.
West Virginia,
Mountain momma,
Take me home country roads

Noel Devine didn't have any John Denver in his iPod before he arrived in Morgantown, W.Va.

He still doesn't, actually, and probably never will, but "Take Me Home, Country Roads" is beginning to grow on him. That's the Denver song they crank through the Milan Puskar Stadium loudspeakers after every win. Which means they crank it a lot.

When a 48-7 victory over East Carolina Saturday prompted yet another massive stadium sing-along, somebody asked Devine, West Virginia's sizzling freshman running back, what he thought of the ritual.

"The atmosphere here, I love it," he said, flashing a smile lit by gold-capped teeth. "It's something way different from back home."

Ah yes, back home. Devine is headed there, or close to it, Friday night when No. 5 West Virginia (4-0) travels to Tampa, Fla., to take on No. 18 South Florida (3-0) in a Big East showdown at Raymond James Stadium (ESPN2, 8 ET).

"There will be a lot of motivation and a lot of support there for me," Devine said.

The 5-foot-8, 175-pound Devine grew up amid tumult and tragedy in Cape Coral, 125 miles south of Tampa. He also grew into a nationally renowned, game-breaking, YouTube legend at North Fort Myers High.

One popular clip shows Devine spinning and bouncing and racing his way through tacklers like a video-game character on a simple screen-pass-turned-90-yard-touchdown.

"I was there for that," says North Fort Myers athletic director Erik Timko, then an a$sistant football coach at the school. "It was his freshman year, and it was one of those things where you just shook your head and said, 'That's not right.'"

The team's head coach, James Iandoli, did some head-shaking of his own early in Devine's freshman year.

"I felt like, 'Holy crap, I've got this amazing talent, but he's so young, what do I need to do to ensure he doesn't have a bad experience?'" Iandoli recalled. "I approached it kind of the way [West Virginia coach] Rich Rodriguez is doing it. We got him the ball seven or eight times a game where he could be successful. And then, let's just say by Game 5 or 6, he was 60 percent of our offense."

That's not going to happen at West Virginia, where quarterback Pat White and tailback Steve Slaton rule the roost. But a little Devine intervention might be just what the Mountaineers need Friday in a matchup that pits their powerful rushing offense (357 yards per game, second in the country) against South Florida's suffocating run defense (79 yards per game, 13th nationally).

The Bulls corralled West Virginia's tricky spread-option attack in November 2006 in a 24-19 upset win at Morgantown that ruined West Virginia's chance for a Big East title.

"It's going to be different this year," Devine promised.

The Mountaineers rushed for only 132 yards in last year's game. Slaton has gained just 2.8 yards per carry in two games against South Florida.

Devine gives the Bulls something else to think about. He is seventh in the Big East in rushing with 267 yards, despite only 24 attempts. His 11.1 yards per carry is easily the highest among the nation's top 100 rushers.

"He's awfully good," South Florida coach Jim Leavitt said. "We knew that out of high school."

Devine lines up at various positions and can strike from anywhere. On a play against East Carolina, he started wide left and broke into a full sprint toward White before the ball was snapped. White handed off to Devine, who was held to a short gain. He managed only 11 yards on seven carries, but in a game at Maryland nine days earlier, he rang up 136 yards on five carries, torturing the Terrapins with knee-buckling cuts and Audi-like acceleration.

In an offense that also includes NFL-bound fullback/tight end Owen Schmitt and multitalented receiver Darius Reynaud, Devine practices patience.

"I'm jumping in slowly and getting a little more reps," he said. "By the end of the season, who knows?"

Iandoli said a contingent of Devine backers will be among the throng of 65,000-plus at South Florida's first sellout at Raymond James. Iandoli and Timko would have been among them if not for North Fort Myers' homecoming game that night.

Iandoli and Devine had a challenging relationship, but remain in touch about once a week. Last season, Devine, who has fathered two children by two different women, was suspended for two games because of what North Fort Myers officials called a "confrontation" at school. The school also kept him out of a postseason all-star game because of what a game official described in the Fort Myers News-Press as an "incident in the locker room."

Dan DeLuca covered Devine's high school career for the News-Press and recently told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, "A lot of people around here feel he's gotten breaks because he's an athlete and that once he gets up there [to West Virginia], he'll screw up and be back here, on the streets. But he has a lot of people rooting for him, too. It'll be interesting to see what happens up there."

It's almost heavenly, so far. Devine recently sent Iandoli a text message thanking him for the tough love, which apparently worked as good preparation for life as a major college football player.

"It wasn't a long text, but I got from it that [conditions are] the same way in college," Iandoli said. "I also expressed my feelings toward him that everything was done from my heart, me being tough and whatnot, because I wanted him to succeed. And one thing I will say about Noel is that regardless of any mistake, the kid shows remorse, empathy and sympathy. To me, that means he's a quality kid. It means he cares."

The odds have been stacked against Devine practically since birth. He lost his father to complications from AIDS when he was an infant. His mother died of the same disease when he was 11. Devine has experienced various living situations, including a brief stay with fellow North Fort Myers grad and former NFL star Deion Sanders in Texas.

Timko acknowledges that some people felt Devine got preferential treatment at North Fort Myers. He denies it.

"He was treated the same as any other student," Timko said. "If he got in trouble, he got the same punishment as anyone else. He needed to understand that every action has a consequence. There isn't one person who can say they did high school perfectly. I'm sure most of us have done something where we wouldn't want other people to know, but because he was in the limelight, everyone wanted to know his business."

When Devine avoided prep school on his third try at the ACT, Florida State and plenty others were knocking at his door, but he was drawn by the coaches -- and the offense -- at West Virginia. His mentors encouraged him to make his own college decision.

Rodriguez was impressed from the start.

"As far as his reputation, there wasn't a lot of concern there at all," Rodriguez said. "The only concerns were whether he'd make it academically or not. The school had a plan for him, and he was very determined to make it, so we hung in there with him."

West Virginia, like any self-respecting mountain momma, wrapped its arms around Devine the instant he arrived. He received a standing ovation after his first career carry (it netted zero yards) at Milan Puskar Stadium.

"I'm getting good help from my players and coaches and classmates," Devine said. "They treat you like family."

Part of Devine will always be in South Florida, but once Friday's game is finished, he'll be eager to get back to his new home.

Already, it feels like the place where he belongs.
 09-29-2007, 12:09 AMaway - #78
LightsOut 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$11,612 | POWERFUL
this game was embarrassing...

but it's in the past, and we gotta move forward. i still think we can win out, and finish top 10 (maybe top 5) and close it out with a BCS bowl
 09-29-2007, 03:40 PMaway - #79
AlCapone|m 

d 
space
$14,389 | POWERFUL
yeah im confident we can win out, and with all these ranked teams falling u never know, we could end up with a nice position, but nonetheless its still goooo mountaineers
 10-01-2007, 08:26 PMaway - #80
AlCapone|m 

d 
space
$14,389 | POWERFUL
syracuse up next, just gotta get back in our groove

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX SportsCenter > NCAA Football team threads

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NBA Realistically, after working out with Hakeem, what playe..
50 comments
NCAAF Why Anthony Brown Called Steve Sarkisian A Racist
53 comments
NBA USA vs. Finland
53 comments
 NCAAF Cfb Week 1 Thread
New reply 39 seconds ago - 658 comments - by eucalyptus
 Article inside 'guardians Of The Galaxy Is Better Then The Avengers.....
New reply 8 minutes ago - 60 comments - by TRILL SH1T
 NFL Breaking News: Rams Release Michael Sam
New reply 3 minutes ago - 150 comments - by Eazy123
 Image(s) inside Aug 29 - Woman Working 4 Jobs To Make Ends Meet Dies W...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 61 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 Image(s) inside Ny Rap Takes A Rare 3 L's In One Day
New reply 4 minutes ago - 81 comments - by PotheadFocker
  Wesley Snipes To Reprise Blade In Blade 4!!
New reply 23 minutes ago - 55 comments - by Jumpoff21
 NBA Why 1-3-1 Defense Has Been Removed From Nba 2k15
New reply 5 minutes ago - 117 comments - by Hovi Bryant
  Aug 29 - The No. 1 Cause Of Death For African-american...
New reply 24 minutes ago - 65 comments - by RokkyRok

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.