This is BX @ Boxden.com

Heads up... latest facebook app + widget = major battery drain even without it refreshing.

Heads up... latest facebook app + widget = major battery drain even without it refreshing.
topic by P-Hill - 10-09-2010, 08:26 AM - Boxden > Android Owners Lounge

Someone on XDA used this app (can't remember) and figured out that the latest facebook app has a bug that drains battery and uses resources when it should be sitting idle. Those of you with the FB app that uses it should log out and leave it off until a fix is made (unless u don't mind it). I did the same and my Android system usage dropped from about 47% battery usage to 17% (with cell standby and voice calls now taking up the majority of battery usage). An hour and a half later and my battery is still at 100% (when at this point and time with fb logged in, i'd trickle down to about 88%)

> Heads up... latest facebook app + widget = major battery drain even without it refreshing. - Photo posted in Android Owners Lounge | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else was having a problem with sub par battery life. I have not been satisfied with my G2 battery life, I only get about 12-13 hours and I am not a really heavy user. I have disabled wifi, bluetooth, gps, cell location, and syncing for everything but my gmail and exchange (set to push), and it didnt affect my battery life at all.

I noticed that "Android System" was taking up 35% of my battery, which I am pretty sure is not normal, so I decided to try a different battery monitoring app to get more details. I downloaded PowerTutor and it was showing that Facebook was using a LOT of battery life over the period of about 10 minutes, which was strange considering that I had turned off all notifications, turned off the refresh, and turned off syncing. It shouldn't have been doing anything.

I logged out of the facebook app and it no longer seemed to be doing anything. My facebook version is 1.3.2. Hopefully this will give me some better battery life (right now i am at 24% at 3:00pm after unplugging at 6:30am, but PowerTutor ate a good bit of battery life while it was monitoring)

Just thought I would post for people who might have abnormally low battery life, and see if anyone else had the same problem.

The facebook app is terrible anyways, I won't miss it. I just use a shortcut on my home screen to m.facebook.com

I'll post back tomorrow and see if my battery life has improved.
When I posted this thread yesterday I was at 24% at 3pm. Right now, at 1pm after logging out of facebook last night and unplugging this morning at the exact same time, my battery is at 68%. I have been listening to music all morning too, browsing the web periodically, and I got a few short phone calls. So unless my battery life tanks 40% in the next 2 hours, I think that being logged in to facebook definitely seems to be eating up battery on the G2.

My testing is hardly scientific, though. But I have had the phone unplugged for 6 hours and 40 minutes and im only down to 68%. Not bad at all.

Someone else should try testing a day logged in to facebook (with notifications, syncing, and refresh all off) and a day logged out of facebook.

edit: also, my Android System is down to 15%. much better.

share this topic Ľ   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

3 comments for "Heads up... latest facebook app + widget = major battery drain even without it refreshing."

10-09-2010, 10:34 AMaway - #2
Venom 29 heat pts29

d 
space
$12,993 | POWERFUL
yea, that was known for a while now
 10-09-2010, 11:16 AMaway - #3
P-Hill|M 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$25,720 | POWERFUL
damn i suck

10-09-2010, 11:56 AMaway - #4
Venom 29 heat pts29

d 
space
$12,993 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by P-Hill
damn i suck

you're still new

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Tech > Android Owners Lounge

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Angela Simmons WOW
89 comments
Image inside  The Last of Us Remastered for PS4 Dominates Best Sell..
69 comments
why do so many people hate indie games?
56 comments
 Image(s) inside All These Mufu-kin Kids Nigga Pull Out Game Weak Af
New reply 28 seconds ago - 129 comments - by Muunsta
 Image(s) inside Jeezy Celebrates His Sonís 18th Birthday (pictures)
New reply 5 minutes ago - 72 comments - by Whoo
  What Artist Would You Bring Back? Max B Or Pimp C
New reply 52 seconds ago - 54 comments - by WizDoM
 Video inside Fab And His Fake Jewelry
New reply 6 minutes ago - 81 comments - by Mutant Boy
 Video inside Lil B - No Black Person Is Ugly *music Video* Most Pow...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 66 comments - by JETSoverERTHING
 Video inside "i Just Lost A 100lbs, I'm Tryna Live, I Ain't Go...
New reply 23 minutes ago - 51 comments - by 5_star_smitty
 Video inside 9 Songs Used By The Cia To Torture Prisoners
New reply 4 minutes ago - 81 comments - by local celebrity
  Jul 29 - Dad Punches Man At Pennsylvania Wawa For Ogli...
New reply 25 minutes ago - 53 comments - by BadSeed7

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,760 fans of BX and 2 new today 4,750 following | none new today

hot topic blog   Ľ    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.