This is BX @ Boxden.com

Google's Eric Schmidt and film director James Cameron back venture to mine in space

Google's Eric Schmidt and film director James Cameron back venture to mine in space
23 topic by s7venwords - 04-21-2012, 02:40 PM - Boxden > The Faculty of Science

Forget the gold rushes of the Wild West, the next grab for natural riches could eclipse anything that has gone before it. Power players including Eric Schmidt, the Google chairman, and James Cameron, the film director, are planning to mine the final frontier: space.

Eric Schmidt, the Google chairman, and the internet giant’s co-founder Larry Page are listed alongside James Cameron, the director of Titanic and Avatar, among the venture’s investors and advisers to the space mining project.

By Emma Rowley9:30PM BST 21 Apr 2012

Power players including Eric Schmidt, the Google chairman, and James Cameron, the film director, are planning to mine the final frontier: space.

They are among the backers of a new venture that will reach for the riches lying elsewhere in the solar system. Planetary Resources will be a “space exploration company to expand Earth’s resource base” according to scant information released ahead of the start-up’s launch in Seattle on Tuesday.

“The company will overlay two critical sectors – space exploration and natural resources – to add trillions of dollars to the global GDP,” was the bold claim. “This innovative start-up will create a new industry and a new definition of 'natural resources’.”

Mr Schmidt and the internet giant’s co-founder Larry Page are listed alongside Mr Cameron, the director of Titanic and Avatar, among the venture’s investors and advisers.

The company was founded by Eric Anderson and Peter Diamandis. “Since my childhood I’ve wanted to do one thing, be an asteroid miner,” Mr Diamandis told Forbes earlier this year. “So stay tuned on that one.”

While the costs of space travel are high, the hope is that riches contained in asteroids would make the sums worthwhile. Studies suggest that gold and other metals in the earth’s crust originated from asteroids that collided with the planet during its early life.

Mr Cameron is no stranger to ventures outside of Hollywood, last month becoming the first solo diver to explore the Earth’s deepest point, the Mariana Trench in the Pacific.
Over the weekend it emerged that his fellow backer in Planetary Resources, Mr Schmidt, was paid $101m (£63m) by Google for his working during 2011.

Google's Eric Schmidt and film director James Cameron back venture to mine in space - Telegraph

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

4 comments for "Google's Eric Schmidt and film director James Cameron back venture to mine in space"

04-21-2012, 07:27 PMaway - #2
Jacc Blacc 32 heat pts32

d 
space
$15,319 | POWERFUL
heard this on NPR

they said they wanted to drill asteroids

now...i know the asteroids they want are the super large asteroids that are bigger then some states in america and these super large asteroids are filled with metals like nickel, silver, and gold but how do the plan on landing on it and how do they plan to launch off of it and will this company be private or will we it be public and allow investors to buy shares because i want in

Last edited by Jacc Blacc; 04-21-2012 at 07:31 PM..
 04-21-2012, 10:55 PMaway - #3
chirpflare 167 heat pts167

d 
space
$3,924 | POWERFUL
niccas with money think they can do anything. even superman wouldnt be able to bring that !! back to earth.

04-22-2012, 09:21 AMaway - #4
kevante 3 heat pts

d 
space
$4,249 | 13611585
:applause: Hope this happens soon. Maybe then we could stop raping Africa and it might solve some of our energy/resources issues
 04-22-2012, 12:10 PMaway - #5
deziking 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$13,343 | POWERFUL
Man this some Armageddon type !! right here. What if they don't find these particles on asteroids.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Faculty of Science

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  These 11's Tho>>>>>
63 comments
Hopkins-Shumenov//Porter-Malignaggi//Quillin-Konecny[4-19-14][S..
180 comments
NBA Official Oklahoma City Thunder (2) vs Memphis Grizzlies ..
282 comments
 Article inside Nicki Minaj Teases Dropping Her New Album Out Of Nowhe...
New reply 31 minutes ago - 58 comments - by CrunchTime CDN
 Video inside Drake Just Took A Shot At Jay During The Nets/raptors ...
New reply 1 hour ago - 132 comments - by demari
 NBA Eastern Conference 1st Round: #3 Toronto Raptors (48-3...
New reply 42 minutes ago - 1482 comments - by maxnn
 Article inside Lindsay Lohan Confirms $ex List Is Real, Says She Wrot...
New reply 1 hour ago - 147 comments - by SM
 MMA Ufc On Fox 11: Werdum Vs. Browne
New reply 50 minutes ago - 266 comments - by Jago
 Video inside Diamond At The Breakfast Club: Gucci Mane Slapped Lil ...
New reply 1 hour ago - 95 comments - by BreakfastClub
  What Is Your Age And What Are You Top 20 Favorite Hip-...
New reply 55 minutes ago - 77 comments - by Pitts Gutta
 NBA Paul Pierce Quote After Game 1
New reply 2 hours ago - 69 comments - by Cambury

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,703 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,648 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.