This is BX @ Boxden.com

Giant Sun Eruption Captured In NASA Video

Giant Sun Eruption Captured In NASA Video
23 topic by s7venwords - 11-18-2012, 01:09 PM - Boxden > The Faculty of Science

A giant solar prominence erupts from the sun on Nov. 16, 2012, in this image captured by NASA's sun-watching Solar Dynamics Observatory. The solar eruption was not aimed at Earth. CREDIT: NASA/SDO

By Tariq Malik, SPACE.com

Nov. 18, 2012 — The sun unleashed a monster eruption of super-hot plasma Friday (Nov. 16) in back-to-back solar storms captured on camera by a NASA spacecraft.

The giant sun eruption, called a solar prominence, occurred at 1 a.m. EST (0600 GMT), with another event flaring up four hours later. The prominences was so large, it expanded beyond the camera view of NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), which captured high-definition video of the solar eruption.

Sun Dogs, Halos, and Double Rainbows: Photos : Discovery News

In the video, a colossal loop of glowing red plasma erupts from the lower left of the sun, arcing up and out of frame as it blasts away from the star.

"The red-glowing looped material is plasma, a hot gas made of electrically charged hydrogen and helium," officials with NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, which oversees the SDO mission, explained in a description. "The prominence plasma flows along a tangled and twisted structure of magnetic fields generated by the sun’s internal dynamo. An erupting prominence occurs when such a structure becomes unst@ble and bursts outward, releasing the plasma."

Friday's solar eruption does not appear to be aimed at Earth, so will likely have little effect on our planet. But that was not the case earlier this week when a powerful solar flare erupted on Monday (Nov. 12). That flare registered as an M6-class eruption, a moderate but still intense solar event.

On Tuesday and Wednesday (Nov. 13 and 14), space weather conditions sparked a geomagnetic storm that supercharged the Earth's auroras, creating spectacular northern lights displays for observers at high latitudes.

When aimed directly at Earth, the most powerful solar flares and eruptions can pose a threat to satellites and astronauts in orbit, and also interfere with communication, navigation and power systems on the ground.

The sun is currently in the middle of an active phase of its 11-year solar weather cycle. The current cycle is called Solar Cycle 24 and is expected to peak in 2013.

This still shows the sun as it erupted with two prominence eruptions, one after the other over a four-hour period (Nov. 16, 2012). NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory spacecraft captured the view. CREDIT: NASA/SDO/Steele Hill

Spooky Auroras in Reds and Greens: Photos : Discovery News

Giant Sun Eruption Captured in NASA Video: Big Pics : Discovery News

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

20 comments for "Giant Sun Eruption Captured In NASA Video"

11-18-2012, 02:10 PMaway - #2
big leo 415 6 heat pts

d 
space
$3,377 | 5702545
WOW
 11-18-2012, 02:26 PMonline - #3
rdrake 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$6,165 | POWERFUL
I happened I've been talking about this for a while now....people make sure you have your can goods and water ready
 11-18-2012, 04:13 PMonline - #4
pandadays 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$5,690 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by rdrake
I happened I've been talking about this for a while now....people make sure you have your can goods and water ready

Can't wait to see the the knicks in the finals next year after the world ends next month
 11-18-2012, 04:32 PMaway - #5
ImAMonster 260 heat pts260

d 
space
$24,932 | POWERFUL
People like you k!ll me. You act is if the sun hasn't been making solar eruptions since the beginning of time. I'll explain a little something to you. :) Because you don't get it.

The whole 2012 ####...It's all in the name of MONEY. What happened? The economy was bad. That Mayan temple or whatever it was that they found it in has been there for HOW LONG? And they just now found it and found out what it said? Yeah..Right...Okay. Not only that but they're scientists...you know..People who get #### wrong with no repercussions? I guess you also forgot that the same scientists that said it said it was the end of the world, also came out and said that they were wrong and that's not what it said at all.

It was nothing but a gimmick for money and everybody capitalized on it. TV Shows, Movies, Donation boxes, Bunkers, The government is tapping into all that revenue. It's a source to rebuild the economy, or at least attempt to. When they seen it wasn't working, they decided to say it was wrong to keep mass hysteria from happening. Don't you get it? Why did they shoot a rocket into the moon? (Which I might add that NOBODY saw actually hit the moon...) It's all for money broski. They sell you bull #### and you buy it because you're gullible and have a pocket full of money that they KNOW you're willing to shell out. Nothing is going to happen...You can bank on that...

I bet these scientists can't even predict the winning football teams in a week...But you're willing to shell out cash and do all this #### because they say that someone else predicted the end of the world? You sir, are a dumb a$s. And so is every single other person who believes this bull ####. It's the same as that Harold Camping dude in May of last year...Y'all all did the same thing. Paid for bunkers, stocked up on food, spent ALL these millions..for what? Another regular day of life...This bull #### isn't any different...That dude Harold Camping is sitting PRETTY with his millions right now...You're too worried to look beyond the mask they're presenting to you.
 11-18-2012, 04:42 PMonline - #6
SoCannon 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,644 | 6153717
Originally Posted by ImAMonster
People like you k!ll me. You act is if the sun hasn't been making solar eruptions since the beginning of time. I'll explain a little something to you. :) Because you don't get it.

The whole 2012 ####...It's all in the name of MONEY. What happened? The economy was bad. That Mayan temple or whatever it was that they found it in has been there for HOW LONG? And they just now found it and found out what it said? Yeah..Right...Okay. Not only that but they're scientists...you know..People who get #### wrong with no repercussions? I guess you also forgot that the same scientists that said it said it was the end of the world, also came out and said that they were wrong and that's not what it said at all.

It was nothing but a gimmick for money and everybody capitalized on it. TV Shows, Movies, Donation boxes, Bunkers, The government is tapping into all that revenue. It's a source to rebuild the economy, or at least attempt to. When they seen it wasn't working, they decided to say it was wrong to keep mass hysteria from happening. Don't you get it? Why did they shoot a rocket into the moon? (Which I might add that NOBODY saw actually hit the moon...) It's all for money broski. They sell you bull #### and you buy it because you're gullible and have a pocket full of money that they KNOW you're willing to shell out. Nothing is going to happen...You can bank on that...
I bet these scientists can't even predict the winning football teams in a week...But you're willing to shell out cash and do all this #### because they say that someone else predicted the end of the world? You sir, are a dumb a$s. And so is every single other person who believes this bull ####. It's the same as that Harold Camping dude in May of last year...Y'all all did the same thing. Paid for bunkers, stocked up on food, spent ALL these millions..for what? Another regular day of life...This bull #### isn't any different...That dude Harold Camping is sitting PRETTY with his millions right now...You're too worried to look beyond the mask they're presenting to you.

preach
 11-18-2012, 04:57 PMonline - #7
Explicit 55 heat pts55

d 
space
$6,735 | POWERFUL
I feel the same way when I have gas
 11-18-2012, 05:55 PMaway - #8
Gmengfx 55 heat pts55

d 
space
$11,180 | POWERFUL

RIGHT..

but at the same time...i mean..anything could happen at any given moment..for all we know

i mean one day..humans will be on this earth and will wake up 1 day wiped off the map
 11-18-2012, 05:57 PMaway - #9
Darkpoet 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,442 | 1796043
If the Sun explodes, can goods and water aren't helping you
 11-18-2012, 06:28 PMaway - #10
dsoul 

d 
space
$1,029 | 2463230

you sound smug

If people want to believe the world is going to end on December 21, 2012, let them

I don't believe the world is going to end, but truly believe it's slowly on it's way out

Nuclear war, plague, government control, etc

But you can't blame people for wanting to be prepared.....are doomsday bunkers crazy? hell no, you see the government has thousands of them if not more

It's only a matter of a time imo
 11-18-2012, 07:57 PMaway - #11
s7venwords 4727 heat pts4727

d 
space
$31,637 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Darkpoet
If the Sun explodes, can goods and water aren't helping you
Preach on. Same people were acting like the world was ending on dec.31 1999 and nothing happened but a lot of people left with a stock pile of bottled water and dry goods.
 11-18-2012, 10:48 PMonline - #12
rdrake 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$6,165 | POWERFUL

YouTube this...let a professional break this down....

Michio Kaku: Massive solar flare in the years 2012/2013 could throw us back 100 years

By the way these scientists created the tv you watch the super bowl game on

Last edited by rdrake; 11-18-2012 at 10:51 PM..
 11-19-2012, 11:04 AMonline - #13
BtMkRs 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$4,028 | POWERFUL
NASa doing big things . Jay-Z lost
 11-19-2012, 11:29 AMonline - #14
rdrake 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$6,165 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by BtMkRs
NASa doing big things . Jay-Z lost

Ph.D means nothing on boxden

Last edited by rdrake; 11-19-2012 at 11:32 AM..
 11-19-2012, 11:56 AMonline - #15
Damagegadget 393 heat pts393

d 
space
$25,110 | POWERFUL
electrically charged
this... I was watchin docs on the electric universe... some of the theories in them were dope..especially on comets..
 11-19-2012, 12:00 PMonline - #16
Damagegadget 393 heat pts393

d 
space
$25,110 | POWERFUL

sure they makin money...but not off me... The calendar holds truth...definitely up to the individual to make up their mind tho

In either case...the world is chaning around us.. so like I said the mayan prophecy holds true...but the idea of the end of the world as we know it can be misconstrued..

As we know the world prior to Sandy for example..has since changed
 11-19-2012, 02:57 PMaway - #17
WhosIt 3 heat pts

d 
space
$900 | 3048506
So what was the excuse for Y2K?
 11-19-2012, 03:07 PMonline - #18
rdrake 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$6,165 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by WhosIt
So what was the excuse for Y2K?
Better safe than sorry...you see what happened with katrina and sandy

people were without food and stuck in there house for days
 11-19-2012, 03:41 PMaway - #19
WhosIt 3 heat pts

d 
space
$900 | 3048506
Better safe than sorry...you see what happened with katrina and sandy

people were without food and stuck in there house for days
True but if being safe than sorry was the case, we would have a lot of #### left for who knows what?
 11-20-2012, 01:30 PMonline - #20
rdrake 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$6,165 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by WhosIt
True but if being safe than sorry was the case, we would have a lot of #### left for who knows what?
If you have to worry about having an excess of anything...trust me you wont have to worry about having excess of anything

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Faculty of Science

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NBA Dwight Howard out indefinitely
50 comments
NFL Odell Beckham Jr. with one of the greatest catches in NF..
131 comments
NBA Harden Flops Then Hides Behind Teammate to Retaliate
51 comments
  Bale Admits Envy Of Affleck, Wanted To Be Batman Again
New reply 2 minutes ago - 62 comments - by Scallinno
 Video inside Nov 22 - Agree Or Disagree? Police Chief Went In On Af...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 183 comments - by slee
 Video inside Nov 23 - Astronomers Find Evidence Of Two Undiscovered...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 59 comments - by metatr0n
 Video inside Rihanna Extreme Twerking In Barbados
New reply 10 minutes ago - 73 comments - by JNumbaNC
 Image(s) inside Nov 22 - Newtown Massacre Shooter Adam Lanza Indulged ...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 105 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 NFL Marshawn Lynch Post Game Interview ...lmaooo
New reply 10 minutes ago - 98 comments - by BronxBombers
  Charlie Clips Vs Charron [flatline3]
New reply 5 minutes ago - 54 comments - by KushKaleem
 Video inside China Mac Reflects On 10-year Bid Over Shooting Jin's ...
New reply 15 minutes ago - 54 comments - by flix02

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,860 fans of BX | none new today 4,811 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.