This is BX @ Boxden.com

Ask a (pending) neuroscientist

Ask a (pending) neuroscientist
topic by AA1989 - 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM - Boxden > The Faculty of Science

Hello all. I'm a neuroscience phd candidate and have noticed a lack of posting in this section. Since many people are curious with regards to how the brain works I thought it ,iChat generate posts here. So to procrastinate during finals week and to liven this section up. ill answer any questions to the best of my ability.

share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

80 comments for "Ask a (pending) neuroscientist"

12-18-2012, 11:09 PMaway - #2
N/A 2 heat pts

d 
space
$626 | 4623854
I've been studying a lot of neuroscience lately, mostly about the autonomic nervous system and how it plays into our stress and anxiety that some of us suffer from. I've had IBS and social/general anxiety disorder since I was very young, early elementary school age to be exact. From what I can understand, these can be attributed to overactive sympathetic nervous system functions as well as chronically elevated stress levels.

My question is, what sort of medical treatments, drugs, and therapies can help with these problems? I have medications that treat some of the symptoms, but are there any drugs or therapies that exist that actually treat the cause of these problems? If this isn't really your area of expertise, I understand. Thank you.
 12-18-2012, 11:59 PMonline - #3

d 
space
$5,903 | 8446172
Most basic question you'll probably get and I don't even know if it has anything to do with neuroscience....I get headaches 4-5 times a week. What could be some of the reasons why this happens?
 12-19-2012, 12:04 AMaway - #4
AA1989 

d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by N/A
I've been studying a lot of neuroscience lately, mostly about the autonomic nervous system and how it plays into our stress and anxiety that some of us suffer from. I've had IBS and social/general anxiety disorder since I was very young, early elementary school age to be exact. From what I can understand, these can be attributed to overactive sympathetic nervous system functions as well as chronically elevated stress levels.

My question is, what sort of medical treatments, drugs, and therapies can help with these problems? I have medications that treat some of the symptoms, but are there any drugs or therapies that exist that actually treat the cause of these problems? If this isn't really your area of expertise, I understand. Thank you.
SSRIs and Benzodiazapine are common therapies that are used to treat social anxiety; I should know, have it myself. SSRI stands selective serotonin re-uptake inhibiter. Serotonin is an excitaory monoamine which is transfered from cell to cell in circuits that processes emotional information. By inhibiting its re-uptake you are allowing the molecule to stay in contact with the cell for a long period of time. Why does this work? I don't know. I'm not a clinician. Benzodiazipine act on GABA receptors, which in contract to serotonin, allow influx of inhibtiory molecules (it prevents the cell from firing). These drugs bind on these receptors and allow chloride ions to penetrate the cell, thus keeping it from firing. This is how the 'overractivity' you mentioned is countered.
 12-19-2012, 12:07 AMaway - #5
AA1989 

d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by 123456
Most basic question you'll probably get and I don't even know if it has anything to do with neuroscience....I get headaches 4-5 times a week. What could be some of the reasons why this happens?
I can tell you what is this physiological reason for headaches in general but I can't tell you why you have chronic headaches.
 12-19-2012, 12:08 AMaway - #6
N/A 2 heat pts

d 
space
$626 | 4623854
Originally Posted by Blood Edge
Usually issues like this are psychological and if you've been diagnosed then you've already been through therapy or seen someone. What were the results of your previous treatment?
Never needed therapy, meds specifically for the IBS help some. The SSRI that I'm on helps with the GAD as well. From what I can tell, my maternal family has a history of high blood pressure and chronic stress (overactive norepinephrine levels?), which would lead me to believe that most of it actually isn't psychological, since I had a decent childhood when these issues first began to take place. Western diet, maybe? Or a majority of it could possibly be genetics, from the trends I'm noticing.
 12-19-2012, 12:12 AMaway - #7
N/A 2 heat pts

d 
space
$626 | 4623854
Originally Posted by AA1989
SSRIs and Benzodiazapine are common therapies that are used to treat social anxiety; I should know, have it myself. SSRI stands selective serotonin re-uptake inhibiter. Serotonin is an excitaory monoamine which is transfered from cell to cell in circuits that processes emotional information. By inhibiting its re-uptake you are allowing the molecule to stay in contact with the cell for a long period of time. Why does this work? I don't know. I'm not a clinician. Benzodiazipine act on GABA receptors, which in contract to serotonin, allow influx of inhibtiory molecules (it prevents the cell from firing). These drugs bind on these receptors and allow chloride ions to penetrate the cell, thus keeping it from firing. This is how the 'overractivity' you mentioned is countered.
Thanks for the breakdown. I've actually found L-Theanine to help a good deal with acute anxiety, especially for relaxation before bedtime. It's supposed to be non-drowsy but if I take it during the day it calms me down so much that I actually get a great urge to sleep.
 12-19-2012, 03:50 PMonline - #8
imthatinfamous 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$4,384 | 20405565
why do i fall asleep when i try to read...laying down
 12-19-2012, 04:19 PMonline - #9

d 
space
$5,903 | 8446172
Originally Posted by AA1989
I can tell you what is this physiological reason for headaches in general but I can't tell you why you have chronic headaches.
So what's the physiological reason? Put it in a way that I can understand please haha
 12-19-2012, 05:39 PMaway - #10
TimeIsAVirus 

d 
space
$270 | 1128449
What do you think about memories? Do you think information can be placed and erased in someones mind? And what do you think about mind control devices?
 12-19-2012, 06:19 PMaway - #11
gunot86 1 heat pts

d 
space
$551 | 1717064
What did you get your bachelors and/or masters in? And what are your plans after you acquire your phd? If you don't mind me asking
 12-19-2012, 09:14 PMaway - #12
WhiteBoy773 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,833 | 3904778
Don't take pharmaceutical drugs like SSRI's or Benzo's.

Just burn one...
 12-19-2012, 10:15 PMaway - #13
StandUpNigguh 

d 
space
$69 | 392049
how do you increase memory and attention in the brain these people be blaming #### on weed to the ponit i bought in i thought maybe it was my weed but then people around me forget #### in the same ways like going to your room and not remebering what you went in there for ppl who dont smoke weed do the same #### as me i always call them out it cant be weed other excuse hear are age or the fact the womens memory goes as they become mother

is it the weed?
 12-19-2012, 11:26 PMaway - #14
AA1989 

d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by TimeIsAVirus
What do you think about memories? Do you think information can be placed and erased in someones mind? And what do you think about mind control devices?
Memory is my speciality. Yes information can be placed in and later release by injecting a peptide inhibiter. Mind control devices?
 12-19-2012, 11:30 PMaway - #15
AA1989 

d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by StandUpNigguh
how do you increase memory and attention in the brain these people be blaming #### on weed to the ponit i bought in i thought maybe it was my weed but then people around me forget #### in the same ways like going to your room and not remebering what you went in there for ppl who dont smoke weed do the same #### as me i always call them out it cant be weed other excuse hear are age or the fact the womens memory goes as they become mother

is it the weed?
THC imparirs short term memory. THC binds to endocanbinoid receptors which inhibits the production of cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) which is responsible for modulatating proteins that are activated during the formation of a short term memory.
 12-19-2012, 11:31 PMaway - #16
AA1989 

d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by fetmod
Emotions: simple electro-chemical responses or something deeper..?
The former.
 12-19-2012, 11:31 PMaway - #17
AA1989 

d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by WhiteBoy773
Don't take pharmaceutical drugs like SSRI's or Benzo's.

Just burn one...
Thanks, Doc.
 12-19-2012, 11:32 PMaway - #18
AA1989 

d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by 123456
So what's the physiological reason? Put it in a way that I can understand please haha
It's the repeated contraction and dilation of blood vessels.
 12-20-2012, 06:11 AMaway - #19
wwwdotcom 8 heat pts

d 
space
$405 | 4397192
How did we develop consciousness via evolutionary means?
 12-20-2012, 05:18 PMaway - #20
AA1989 

d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by fetmod
What chemical stimuli/reaction would result in a destructive inner critic/diminished self confidence?

On what level is inducing small seizures, as in through ingesting hallucinogens (mushrooms, etc) more helpful than harmful for the brain?
1- This usually due to a lack of dopamine or serotonin.
2- It's never helpful.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Faculty of Science

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Nov 25 - Storeowner who Michael Brown took cigarellos..
106 comments
Image inside  Nov 25 - Prosecutor raised $500,000 for Officer Wilson
55 comments
Image inside  Nov 25 - Startling Photos Of Ferguson The Morning After
90 comments
 Image(s) inside Nov 24 - Just In: Photos Of Officer Darren Wilson's In...
New reply 36 seconds ago - 142 comments - by Ctrllers
 Video inside Best Film Shootout Ever?
New reply 12 minutes ago - 63 comments - by JohnnyCage202
 NFL Michael Sam Wishes He Hadn't Come Out Publicly Before ...
New reply 45 seconds ago - 84 comments - by Bea5T
 Image(s) inside Job Hunting In The 1930's
New reply 12 minutes ago - 57 comments - by sammy1990
 Video inside Jurassic World Official Trailer
New reply 3 minutes ago - 137 comments - by JFamis
 Image(s) inside Jay-z's Bodyguard Look Like Da Devil, Bruhh
New reply 12 minutes ago - 69 comments - by GOD999
 Video inside Nov 25 - Michael Brown Step Dad To Protestors:burn Thi...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 220 comments - by Carlton Black
 Image(s) inside Jim Jones Says Dame Dash Ows Him "a Lot Of Money&...
New reply 16 minutes ago - 54 comments - by yungteflon

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,863 fans of BX | none new today 4,811 following and 3 new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.