b o x d e n hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now hot topics today top last 48 hours all sections videos pics tracks headlines  

Ask a (pending) neuroscientist


People Viewing This Topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  
 
 

Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > The Faculty of Science
  
    
          join bx

share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook
 Ask a (pending) neuroscientist
topic by AA1989 - 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM


Hello all. I'm a neuroscience phd candidate and have noticed a lack of posting in this section. Since many people are curious with regards to how the brain works I thought it ,iChat generate posts here. So to procrastinate during finals week and to liven this section up. ill answer any questions to the best of my ability.


80 comments for "Ask a (pending) neuroscientist"


 12-18-2012, 11:09 PMaway - #2
N/A 2 heat pts

  d 
space
$631 | 4623854
I've been studying a lot of neuroscience lately, mostly about the autonomic nervous system and how it plays into our stress and anxiety that some of us suffer from. I've had IBS and social/general anxiety disorder since I was very young, early elementary school age to be exact. From what I can understand, these can be attributed to overactive sympathetic nervous system functions as well as chronically elevated stress levels.

My question is, what sort of medical treatments, drugs, and therapies can help with these problems? I have medications that treat some of the symptoms, but are there any drugs or therapies that exist that actually treat the cause of these problems? If this isn't really your area of expertise, I understand. Thank you.
 12-18-2012, 11:59 PMaway - #3
123456 

  d 
space
$5,910 | 8446172
Most basic question you'll probably get and I don't even know if it has anything to do with neuroscience....I get headaches 4-5 times a week. What could be some of the reasons why this happens?
 12-19-2012, 12:04 AMaway - #4
AA1989 

  d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by N/A
I've been studying a lot of neuroscience lately, mostly about the autonomic nervous system and how it plays into our stress and anxiety that some of us suffer from. I've had IBS and social/general anxiety disorder since I was very young, early elementary school age to be exact. From what I can understand, these can be attributed to overactive sympathetic nervous system functions as well as chronically elevated stress levels.

My question is, what sort of medical treatments, drugs, and therapies can help with these problems? I have medications that treat some of the symptoms, but are there any drugs or therapies that exist that actually treat the cause of these problems? If this isn't really your area of expertise, I understand. Thank you.
SSRIs and Benzodiazapine are common therapies that are used to treat social anxiety; I should know, have it myself. SSRI stands selective serotonin re-uptake inhibiter. Serotonin is an excitaory monoamine which is transfered from cell to cell in circuits that processes emotional information. By inhibiting its re-uptake you are allowing the molecule to stay in contact with the cell for a long period of time. Why does this work? I don't know. I'm not a clinician. Benzodiazipine act on GABA receptors, which in contract to serotonin, allow influx of inhibtiory molecules (it prevents the cell from firing). These drugs bind on these receptors and allow chloride ions to penetrate the cell, thus keeping it from firing. This is how the 'overractivity' you mentioned is countered.
 12-19-2012, 12:07 AMaway - #5
AA1989 

  d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by 123456
Most basic question you'll probably get and I don't even know if it has anything to do with neuroscience....I get headaches 4-5 times a week. What could be some of the reasons why this happens?
I can tell you what is this physiological reason for headaches in general but I can't tell you why you have chronic headaches.
 12-19-2012, 12:08 AMaway - #6
N/A 2 heat pts

  d 
space
$631 | 4623854
Originally Posted by Blood Edge
Usually issues like this are psychological and if you've been diagnosed then you've already been through therapy or seen someone. What were the results of your previous treatment?
Never needed therapy, meds specifically for the IBS help some. The SSRI that I'm on helps with the GAD as well. From what I can tell, my maternal family has a history of high blood pressure and chronic stress (overactive norepinephrine levels?), which would lead me to believe that most of it actually isn't psychological, since I had a decent childhood when these issues first began to take place. Western diet, maybe? Or a majority of it could possibly be genetics, from the trends I'm noticing.
 12-19-2012, 12:12 AMaway - #7
N/A 2 heat pts

  d 
space
$631 | 4623854
Originally Posted by AA1989
SSRIs and Benzodiazapine are common therapies that are used to treat social anxiety; I should know, have it myself. SSRI stands selective serotonin re-uptake inhibiter. Serotonin is an excitaory monoamine which is transfered from cell to cell in circuits that processes emotional information. By inhibiting its re-uptake you are allowing the molecule to stay in contact with the cell for a long period of time. Why does this work? I don't know. I'm not a clinician. Benzodiazipine act on GABA receptors, which in contract to serotonin, allow influx of inhibtiory molecules (it prevents the cell from firing). These drugs bind on these receptors and allow chloride ions to penetrate the cell, thus keeping it from firing. This is how the 'overractivity' you mentioned is countered.
Thanks for the breakdown. I've actually found L-Theanine to help a good deal with acute anxiety, especially for relaxation before bedtime. It's supposed to be non-drowsy but if I take it during the day it calms me down so much that I actually get a great urge to sleep.
 12-19-2012, 03:50 PMonline - #8
imthatinfamous 22 heat pts22

  d 
space
$4,564 | POWERFUL
why do i fall asleep when i try to read...laying down
 12-19-2012, 04:19 PMaway - #9
123456 

  d 
space
$5,910 | 8446172
Originally Posted by AA1989
I can tell you what is this physiological reason for headaches in general but I can't tell you why you have chronic headaches.
So what's the physiological reason? Put it in a way that I can understand please haha
 12-19-2012, 05:39 PMonline - #10
TimeIsAVirus 

  d 
space
$270 | 1128449
What do you think about memories? Do you think information can be placed and erased in someones mind? And what do you think about mind control devices?
 12-19-2012, 06:19 PMaway - #11
gunot86 1 heat pts

  d 
space
$557 | 1717064
What did you get your bachelors and/or masters in? And what are your plans after you acquire your phd? If you don't mind me asking
 12-19-2012, 09:14 PMonline - #12
WhiteBoy773 2 heat pts

  d 
space
$1,836 | 3904783
Don't take pharmaceutical drugs like SSRI's or Benzo's.


Just burn one...
 12-19-2012, 10:15 PMaway - #13
StandUpNigguh 

  d 
space
$69 | 392049
how do you increase memory and attention in the brain these people be blaming #### on weed to the ponit i bought in i thought maybe it was my weed but then people around me forget #### in the same ways like going to your room and not remebering what you went in there for ppl who dont smoke weed do the same #### as me i always call them out it cant be weed other excuse hear are age or the fact the womens memory goes as they become mother

is it the weed?
 12-19-2012, 11:26 PMaway - #14
AA1989 

  d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by TimeIsAVirus
What do you think about memories? Do you think information can be placed and erased in someones mind? And what do you think about mind control devices?
Memory is my speciality. Yes information can be placed in and later release by injecting a peptide inhibiter. Mind control devices?
 12-19-2012, 11:30 PMaway - #15
AA1989 

  d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by StandUpNigguh
how do you increase memory and attention in the brain these people be blaming #### on weed to the ponit i bought in i thought maybe it was my weed but then people around me forget #### in the same ways like going to your room and not remebering what you went in there for ppl who dont smoke weed do the same #### as me i always call them out it cant be weed other excuse hear are age or the fact the womens memory goes as they become mother

is it the weed?
THC imparirs short term memory. THC binds to endocanbinoid receptors which inhibits the production of cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) which is responsible for modulatating proteins that are activated during the formation of a short term memory.
 12-19-2012, 11:31 PMaway - #16
AA1989 

  d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by fetmod
Emotions: simple electro-chemical responses or something deeper..?
The former.
 12-19-2012, 11:31 PMaway - #17
AA1989 

  d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by WhiteBoy773
Don't take pharmaceutical drugs like SSRI's or Benzo's.


Just burn one...
Thanks, Doc.
 12-19-2012, 11:32 PMaway - #18
AA1989 

  d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by 123456
So what's the physiological reason? Put it in a way that I can understand please haha
It's the repeated contraction and dilation of blood vessels.
 12-20-2012, 06:11 AMaway - #19
wwwdotcom 8 heat pts

  d 
space
$412 | 4397192
How did we develop consciousness via evolutionary means?
 12-20-2012, 05:18 PMaway - #20
AA1989 

  d 
space
$109 | 828891
Originally Posted by fetmod
What chemical stimuli/reaction would result in a destructive inner critic/diminished self confidence?

On what level is inducing small seizures, as in through ingesting hallucinogens (mushrooms, etc) more helpful than harmful for the brain?
1- This usually due to a lack of dopamine or serotonin.
2- It's never helpful.
 

 



Image inside  Dec 18 - Tsarnaev appears in court for 1st time since..
65 comments
Image inside  Dec 17 - Obama: As a black man he's been mistaken for..
61 comments
So, "The Interview" will get a VOD/DVD release, right?? Um......
86 comments
  Azealia Banks Calls Out Eminem
New reply 1 minute ago - 248 comments - by mdemaz
  Dec 17 - 14 Year Old Black Boy Executed For Murder, Cl...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 117 comments - by Roo 50
 Image(s) inside Instagram Exposes Mase For Buying Fake Followers
New reply 2 minutes ago - 115 comments - by Frankybaby
  Sony Leak: Denzel Washington Should Not Be Given Lead ...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 142 comments - by Dead Masons
 Video inside Azealia Banks Goes Off On Ti, Iggy + Black Music Being...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 52 comments - by acegutta22
  Dec 18 - Misspelled Sign By Boxden Member Cost Hs Prin...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 51 comments - by rshodunke
  Meek Mill Comments On Bobby Shmurda's Arrest
New reply 4 minutes ago - 187 comments - by A.Dot789
 Image(s) inside Yung Berg Won Tho....
New reply 12 minutes ago - 53 comments - by strungout

like bx on facebook follow bx on twitter
5,901 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,847 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

 Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.