This is BX @ Boxden.com

Sep 22 - Nine U.S. troops k!lled in helicopter crash in Afghanistan

Sep 22 - Nine U.S. troops k!lled in helicopter crash in Afghanistan
topic by chirpflare - 09-22-2010, 01:38 AM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

By Karen DeYoung and Ernesto Londono
Washington Post Foreign Service
Tuesday, September 21, 2010; 10:28 PM

Nine U.S. soldiers were k!lled Tuesday when a Black Hawk helicopter crashed in southern Afghanistan, making 2010 the deadliest year for NATO forces there.

The United States passed that grim milestone in mid-August, when U.S. military fatalities exceeded last year's total of 317 with more than four months to go. Tuesday's crash, outside the city of Qalat in Zabul province, and an unrelated b0mbing that k!lled one unidentified NATO service member brought the total number of coalition de@ths this year to at least 530, according to a tally by icasualties.org.

Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell said the casualty increase was "unfortunate, but not unexpected," with a doubling of U.S. troops in Afghanistan and more aggressive operations against Taliban strongholds. The military, he said, has "gone to great pains to make it clear from the outset that it was going to get harder before it got easier, that we were going to sustain more casualties before we started to see them drop. . . . We have never tried to sugarcoat that fact."

Although Taliban forces claimed to have shot down the aircraft, a U.S. defense official said the crash appeared to have been the result of an accident. Of the 12 people aboard, two other Americans and one Afghan were injured.

The administration has played down expectations for a scheduled strategy review in December, saying that decisions about withdrawals to begin in July will not be made until well into the spring. Although Congress and public opinion have grown increasingly restive over the war, most Americans have appeared willing to wait until early next year before making definitive judgments.

Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, has told President Obama he expects significant progress over the next several months in clearing Taliban strongholds around the city of Kandahar and in boosting the capabilities of Afghan forces there. Both Petraeus and Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates have expressed public optimism in recent weeks that gains are being made.

"I was encouraged by what I had seen," Gates said last week after a recent trip to Kandahar. "I think that most of us try to err on the side of caution, because of previous experiences, particularly in Iraq, of people perhaps being too optimistic - and, certainly, too optimistic prematurely." But, he said, "there is a general feeling that there has been some progress."

Many of the additional 30,000 American troops were deployed to Helmand and Kandahar provinces, Taliban strongholds in southern Afghanistan that have become the deadliest battlegrounds for NATO troops. U.S. commanders say a series of operations, including a high-tempo Special Forces campaign, have led to the capture and slaying of dozens of Taliban leaders in the past few weeks.

Tuesday's crash appeared to be the deadliest NATO aircraft crash in Afghanistan since a Chinook went down in the western province of Badghis on Oct. 26, k!lling seven U.S. service members and three Drug Enforcement Administration agents. Ten NATO soldiers were k!lled in a crash in Konar province in 2006.

The icasualties totals differ slightly from those of the a$sociated Press, which compiles a similar database. But icasualties, AP and Defense Department statistics agree that this has been the deadliest year for both U.S. and overall NATO forces.

Tuesday's de@ths came as the U.N. secretary general issued a report noting a sharp spike in violent incidents in Afghanistan.

"The security situation has continued to deteriorate in many parts of the country," Ban Ki-moon wrote in a quarterly report to the Security Council outlining developments in Afghanistan from June through August. Ban attributed the increase to the surge in NATO troops, stepped-up operations by Afghan security forces and more insurgent attacks.

Nine U.S. troops k!lled in helicopter crash in Afghanistan

i know i know... nobody cares right? just more statistics > Sep 22 - Nine U.S. troops killed in helicopter crash in Afghanistan - Photo posted in BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines | Sign in and leave a comment below!

people cared more about those 6 puppies thrown in the river > Sep 22 - Nine U.S. troops killed in helicopter crash in Afghanistan - Photo posted in BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

9 comments for "Sep 22 - Nine U.S. troops k!lled in helicopter crash in Afghanistan"

09-22-2010, 04:25 AMonline - #2
Aesop730 8 heat pts

d 
space
$14,122 | POWERFUL
Doesnt say the unit the soldiers were with ..
 09-22-2010, 09:23 AMaway - #3
stxbreed 

d 
space
$2,233 | 10807506
dis is buh####...rip
 09-22-2010, 10:17 AMaway - #4
Old Man Quillis 14 heat pts14

d 
space
$22,654 | POWERFUL
More of the same ####. Waste of time, money, and our resources.
 09-22-2010, 10:38 AMaway - #5
606robin 5 heat pts

d 
space
$1,960 | 6839269
R.i.p
 09-22-2010, 01:08 PMaway - #6
Sam Rothstein 73 heat pts73

d 
space
$41,882 | POWERFUL
You raise a good question that needs to be addressed. How come dying in war is ignored by the masses, but people get upset about puppies?

I guess people don't really know what's going on in the world. I guess they never seen a puppy getting tossed in river before.
 09-22-2010, 01:37 PMaway - #7
smithahr 

d 
space
$1,719 | 5752971
:sad2:

R.I.P.
 09-22-2010, 01:48 PMaway - #8
Icemouth 

d 
space
$1,700 | 0
Originally Posted by Joe Budden
You raise a good question that needs to be addressed. How come dying in war is ignored by the masses, but people get upset about puppies?

I guess people don't really know what's going on in the world. I guess they never seen a puppy getting tossed in river before.
Maybe because if you sign up for a war there's a chance you could die? That's like a firef!ghter going on the news saying he inhaled smoke, #### happens son. Here's a better question: how come the thousands of murd3rs in countries outside north america aren't mentioned? or how about the drug war in mexico with thousands and thousands of casualties?

people die move on
 09-22-2010, 01:57 PMaway - #9
PetedaSmete 

d 
space
$4,859 | 10664039
Good thing I decided not to join the Army, #### seems crazy over there.
 09-22-2010, 02:08 PMaway - #10
Sam Rothstein 73 heat pts73

d 
space
$41,882 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Icemouth
Maybe because if you sign up for a war there's a chance you could die? That's like a firef!ghter going on the news saying he inhaled smoke, #### happens son. Here's a better question: how come the thousands of murd3rs in countries outside north america aren't mentioned? or how about the drug war in mexico with thousands and thousands of casualties?

people die move on
Of course people die, so why the uproar about puppies?

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Nov 22 - Newtown massacre shooter Adam Lanza indulged..
62 comments
Image inside  Nov 22 - How Many Homeless People Will Freeze To Deat..
60 comments
BOX Manny Pacquiao vs Chris Algieri[11-22-14][HBO-PPV]
665 comments
 Image(s) inside Janice Dickinson Submits A 1982 Photo Of Bill Cosby In...
New reply 41 seconds ago - 154 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 Image(s) inside Look At This Fine Lil Thang!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New reply 9 minutes ago - 102 comments - by tokinjohn
 NBA Barkleys Response To Cousins "he Can't Whoop My A...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 68 comments - by trill jackson
 Image(s) inside Which Kid Were You?
New reply 9 minutes ago - 75 comments - by Unattached
 NBA Can The Problem Actually Be Lebron?
New reply 5 minutes ago - 88 comments - by tygamann1
  The Case Of Big Krit
New reply 10 minutes ago - 57 comments - by JimmyThe3rd
  Jay Z Won :wadedatass:
New reply 7 minutes ago - 111 comments - by sigNN
 NBA Mj At 29-30 Years(same Age As Lebron Now)
New reply 17 minutes ago - 52 comments - by reelife

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,860 fans of BX | none new today 4,809 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.