This is BX @ Boxden.com

Sep 19 - Four cops punished for tossing around football with young boy at Bronx housing project

Sep 19 - Four cops punished for tossing around football with young boy at Bronx housing project
topic by jlandryst - 09-19-2011, 11:51 AM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Even before the NYPD was embroiled in a dustup over dirty dancing, four cops got caught up in a Fourth of July football-throwing fiasco, the Daily News has learned.

Two of the officers are f!ghting the discipline raps they received for tossing around a football with a young boy at a Bronx housing project - charging oversensitivity from police brass jeopardizes community relations.

"I don't think throwing a football to a 7-year-old boy is misconduct," said Officer Catherine Guzman, a 17-year veteran of the force. "It was the Fourth of July, it was 96 degrees out and we were interacting with the community.

"Everybody was happy," she added.

That is, everybody except Deputy Chief James McNamara, the commanding officer of the Bronx Housing Bureau. He witnessed the football tossing and gave the cops a dressing-down worthy of Vince Lombardi.

"He was irate and berated us in front of everyone," Guzman recalled. "He said, 'What are you doing? Do you realize you are on overtime?'"

News of the football caper comes on the heels of controversy over cops videotaped dancing and gyrating during the annual West Indian American Day Carnival Parade. Police officials are reviewing the tape of the Labor Day weekend incident, which shows cops happily grinding their hips into the backsides of scantily clad dancers at the Brooklyn parade.

The four officers involved in the 2010 football-throwing incident at the Webster Houses were slapped with command disciplines, and two accepted a penalty of two vacation days.

But Guzman and Officer Mariana Diaz are appealing the ruling and taking their case to the department trial room.

Both face significantly stiffer penalties if they are found guilty of charges that they "did fail and neglect to remain alert, to wit: throwing and catching a football with three uniformed members of service...while maintaining a foot post."

Their lawyer, Eric Sanders, said the NYPD needs to rethink its definition of community policing.

"I think the Police Department prefers its officers to be an occupying force rather than interacting with the community it serves," Sanders said.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne did not respond to a request for comment.

Diaz said she's taking a stand on principle.

"There's a lot of negativity toward police," she said. "I want kids in the community to look at us in a positive way."

Read more: Four cops punished for tossing around football with young boy at Bronx housing project

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

26 comments for "Sep 19 - Four cops punished for tossing around football with young boy at Bronx housing project"

09-19-2011, 12:02 PMaway - #2
Rico23 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$31,469 | POWERFUL
I guess if they woulda threw a couple slugs to these kids' chest all would be well in their eyes
 09-19-2011, 12:04 PMaway - #3
shoeprano27 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$5,278 | POWERFUL
cops just tryna interact with kids and this is what they get? smh....
 09-19-2011, 12:44 PMaway - #4
P-Hill|M 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$25,647 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Rico23
I guess if they woulda threw a couple slugs to these kids' chest all would be well in their eyes
Nah mean?

So a$s backwards
 09-19-2011, 02:08 PMonline - #5
stogz 7 heat pts

d 
space
$25,754 | POWERFUL
If they mistook the boy's football for a gun, and lit up the kid..... they be back to work the next day with no problems at all
 09-19-2011, 02:20 PMaway - #6
hood135 2 heat pts

d 
space
$8,607 | POWERFUL

Heaven forbid they treat human beings like human beings every once in a while. I ####ing hate the police.
 09-19-2011, 03:04 PMaway - #7
mistatnn 

d 
space
$2,753 | 4880132
This that bull####!! They were just trying to interact with the community in a positive way. I always hear from old folks how when they were young, they knew most of the cops that worked in the area by first names and not because they were arresting people like crazy. It was like they were apart of the neighborhood and folks could actually go to them with problems. Now cops dont do any of that #### but when they do they get penalized?!?! BS
 09-19-2011, 03:30 PMaway - #8
trey2cool 

d 
space
$1,234 | 2308777
all the while, the little boy was paid off by some crooks to distract the cops with some "hey u wanna play some ball? all my friends left me" type ####

meanwhile, something is going on while they arent looking...a purse snatching, someone got knocked upside the head, stuff like that

its a lose lose, u get disciplined by the force for spending time on the clock "horseplaying"....or the community continues to hate you and shoot at you.

i understand y the bossman would be angry, but to actually penalize them is outlandish. just tell them to get back to work and keep it moving.
 09-19-2011, 03:50 PMaway - #9
Venom2k2 

d 
space
$937 | 18156184
Jesus Christ, this can't be real. This ####boy of a Deputy is on a whole different planet. Those Cops actually sound like cool guys, but I guess they should have unloaded 4 magazines into the little guy and everything would be cool.
 09-19-2011, 03:55 PMaway - #10
davilla24c 5 heat pts

d 
space
$4,259 | 16544740
 09-19-2011, 04:35 PMaway - #11
superdrunken 5 heat pts

d 
space
$6,006 | POWERFUL
#### jake
 09-19-2011, 04:41 PMaway - #12
riga89 6 heat pts

d 
space
$1,692 | POWERFUL
This is what's wrong with the NYPD, they focus more on the BS, then the real problems we have. Smh.....
 09-19-2011, 04:48 PMaway - #13
HeyCobra 7 heat pts

d 
space
$2,997 | 13496345
back in the day cops walked beats, and talked to the community, and all was well in the world.

people wonder why no crimes get solved and ####, cause everyone is afraid of cops, and afraid of the community, but there was a time when cops and citizens where friendly and respected each other.
 09-19-2011, 05:21 PMaway - #14
LaRy BLanco 414 heat pts414

d 
space
$33,332 | POWERFUL
and I dont even like cops but I dont understand punishing them for doing somethin positive

tossin a football with some kid>>>>>>police brutality
 09-19-2011, 05:59 PMaway - #15
MOSILVER7 

d 
space
$459 | 351308
WOW!, whats next -"Moved over old lady POLICE coming through"
 09-19-2011, 07:19 PMaway - #16
SomeOnesoN 126 heat pts126

d 
space
$11,701 | POWERFUL
"I think the Police Department prefers its officers to be an occupying force rather than interacting with the community it serves," Sanders said.
This.

Enough of this police state. End the Fed. Vote Ron Paul 2012
 09-19-2011, 07:46 PMaway - #17
S7R 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$13,783 | POWERFUL
Well if this isnt an obvious way to show you that police are just encouraged to arrest you and nothing else I don't know what is.
 09-19-2011, 08:29 PMaway - #18
S0ap 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$2,210 | POWERFUL
they were on the clock so they pretty much can't ####. its their job to be on guard at all times. and as a boss, if he didnt reprimand them then other cops would be on some "johnson and jones were playing football the other day and you didn't tell them anything. why can't I play video games on the clock?"
 09-19-2011, 08:33 PMaway - #19
Kontrast0 37 heat pts37

d 
space
$21,096 | POWERFUL
Pffft
 09-19-2011, 08:41 PMaway - #20
super vILLain 4 heat pts

d 
space
$3,142 | 10020828
I hate the overall police system and most police in general but there's some of them that really sign up to help people and do good. But the people in charge only care about numbers, whether it's money or arrests.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Ayo Chris Smoove girl is bad as sh-t
52 comments
Twitter Reacts to DOTA2 broadcast on ESPN2.
63 comments
Image inside  World of Warcraft Brings In Over $1 Billion Annually,..
55 comments
 NBA Russell Westbrook Got Married Snowbunnies Out Here Wre...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 111 comments - by ChickBoss414
 Video inside Destiny's First-ever 1080p Xbox One Footage – Ign First
New reply 20 minutes ago - 72 comments - by LaRy BLanco
 Article inside Jay Z & Beyoncé Reportedly Trying To Split Without...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 151 comments - by CrunchTime CDN
 Image(s) inside Kendrick Lamar Covers Complex Magazine
New reply 43 minutes ago - 57 comments - by Fwxvgo
 Image(s) inside Jul 20 - Teacher Danielle Watkins Threatened To Fail S...
New reply 13 minutes ago - 132 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 Image(s) inside Every Time!!!!!!!!
New reply 1 hour ago - 65 comments - by tokinjohn
 Video inside August Alsina Plays Fu-k Marry Kill (khloe K, Jhene Ai...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 54 comments - by trill jackson
 Video inside Charlamagne Trolling Bow Wow Live On 106 And Park
New reply 1 hour ago - 90 comments - by g0tt1

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,756 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.