Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now most viewers #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

Sep 19 - Four cops punished for tossing around football with young boy at Bronx housing project

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
44 viewing
 Article inside The Weeknd Crushes Lofty Sales Projection For ‘Beauty Behind The Madn..
42 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
36 viewing
Video inside Supposedly Miserable Man Frolics With His Supposed 19-Inch Pen1s
108 comments
@misc
most viewed right now
35 viewing
 Video inside TECA THOMPSON (cant stop fapping to her) Sorry if this is a repost
9 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
24 viewing
 NFL Less Than a Week Until The 1st Game of The Season, Free Agents Still Witho..
29 comments
@sports
people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)

let em know » Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 Sep 19 - Four cops punished for tossing around football with young boy at Bronx housing project
Unread 4 years agoclass of '04 - away - #1
2216 pageviews
26 comments

jlandryst 1544 heat pts1544 space
space
$3,704 | POWERFUL

[pic - click to view]

Even before the NYPD was embroiled in a dustup over dirty dancing, four cops got caught up in a Fourth of July football-throwing fiasco, the Daily News has learned.

Two of the officers are f!ghting the discipline raps they received for tossing around a football with a young boy at a Bronx housing project - charging oversensitivity from police brass jeopardizes community relations.

"I don't think throwing a football to a 7-year-old boy is misconduct," said Officer Catherine Guzman, a 17-year veteran of the force. "It was the Fourth of July, it was 96 degrees out and we were interacting with the community.

"Everybody was happy," she added.

That is, everybody except Deputy Chief James McNamara, the commanding officer of the Bronx Housing Bureau. He witnessed the football tossing and gave the cops a dressing-down worthy of Vince Lombardi.

"He was irate and berated us in front of everyone," Guzman recalled. "He said, 'What are you doing? Do you realize you are on overtime?'"

News of the football caper comes on the heels of controversy over cops videotaped dancing and gyrating during the annual West Indian American Day Carnival Parade. Police officials are reviewing the tape of the Labor Day weekend incident, which shows cops happily grinding their hips into the backsides of scantily clad dancers at the Brooklyn parade.

The four officers involved in the 2010 football-throwing incident at the Webster Houses were slapped with command disciplines, and two accepted a penalty of two vacation days.

But Guzman and Officer Mariana Diaz are appealing the ruling and taking their case to the department trial room.

Both face significantly stiffer penalties if they are found guilty of charges that they "did fail and neglect to remain alert, to wit: throwing and catching a football with three uniformed members of service...while maintaining a foot post."

Their lawyer, Eric Sanders, said the NYPD needs to rethink its definition of community policing.

"I think the Police Department prefers its officers to be an occupying force rather than interacting with the community it serves," Sanders said.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne did not respond to a request for comment.

Diaz said she's taking a stand on principle.

"There's a lot of negativity toward police," she said. "I want kids in the community to look at us in a positive way."

Read more: Four cops punished for tossing around football with young boy at Bronx housing project
2 peeps gave props to jlandryst BRonin357 (09-20-2011) , hot topic  (09-19-2011)

top in section
11 viewing
OT ESPN reporter comes out the closet and announces that he is GAY
284 comments
top in sports/24hrs
top in section
19 viewing
 Sep 4 - Husband, Wife Ask Kickstarter for $20K, Get $9 Milli
8 comments
top in news/24hrs

Unread 4 years agoclass of '10 - away - #2
shoeprano27 22 heat pts22 space
dontmakeafu*kouttame
space
$5,660 | POWERFUL
cops just tryna interact with kids and this is what they get? smh....
Unread 4 years agoclass of '05 - away - #3
P-Hill|M 21 heat pts21 space
Jesus Kristaps
space
$29,962 | POWERFUL
Rico23 said:
I guess if they woulda threw a couple slugs to these kids' chest all would be well in their eyes
Nah mean?

So a.ss backwards
Unread 4 years agoclass of '07 - away - #4
stogz 11 heat pts11 space
space
$31,357 | POWERFUL
If they mistook the boy's football for a gun, and lit up the kid..... they be back to work the next day with no problems at all
Unread 4 years agoclass of '06 - away - #5
hood135 2 heat pts space
space
$8,607 | POWERFUL

Heaven forbid they treat human beings like human beings every once in a while. I fu*king hate the police.
Unread 4 years agoclass of '04 - away - #6
mistatnn  space
@ey_iStayFresh
space
$3,564 | 8544083
This that bullsh*t!! They were just trying to interact with the community in a positive way. I always hear from old folks how when they were young, they knew most of the cops that worked in the area by first names and not because they were arresting people like crazy. It was like they were apart of the neighborhood and folks could actually go to them with problems. Now cops dont do any of that sh*t but when they do they get penalized?!?! BS
Unread 4 years agoclass of '06 - away - #7
trey2cool  space
chrysler imperial
space
$1,280 | 2308779
all the while, the little boy was paid off by some crooks to distract the cops with some "hey u wanna play some ball? all my friends left me" type sh*t

meanwhile, something is going on while they arent looking...a purse snatching, someone got knocked upside the head, stuff like that

its a lose lose, u get disciplined by the force for spending time on the clock "horseplaying"....or the community continues to hate you and shoot at you.

i understand y the bossman would be angry, but to actually penalize them is outlandish. just tell them to get back to work and keep it moving.
Unread 4 years agoclass of '04 - away - #8
Venom2k2  space
space
$950 | 18156185
Jesus Christ, this can't be real. This fu*kboy of a Deputy is on a whole different planet. Those Cops actually sound like cool guys, but I guess they should have unloaded 4 magazines into the little guy and everything would be cool.
Unread 4 years agoclass of '08 - away - #9
foestacks 11 heat pts11 space
space
$4,563 | 20607118
Unread 4 years agoclass of '11 - away - #10
superdrunken 7 heat pts space
space
$6,732 | POWERFUL
fu*k jake
Unread 4 years agoclass of '06 - away - #11
riga89 7 heat pts space
space
$1,947 | POWERFUL
This is what's wrong with the NYPD, they focus more on the BS, then the real problems we have. Smh.....
Unread 4 years agoclass of '10 - away - #12
HeyCobra 7 heat pts space
space
$3,031 | 13656713
back in the day cops walked beats, and talked to the community, and all was well in the world.

people wonder why no crimes get solved and sh*t, cause everyone is afraid of cops, and afraid of the community, but there was a time when cops and citizens where friendly and respected each other.
Unread 4 years agoclass of '08 - away - #13
LaRy BLanco 476 heat pts476 space
XBL/PSN/STM - LaRy BLanco
space
$37,226 | POWERFUL
and I dont even like cops but I dont understand punishing them for doing somethin positive

tossin a football with some kid>>>>>>police brutality
Unread 4 years agoclass of '07 - away - #14
MOSILVER7  space
space
$459 | 351308
WOW!, whats next -"Moved over old lady POLICE coming through"
Unread 4 years agoclass of '11 - away - #15
SomeOnesoN 168 heat pts168 space
GSW 4 JACKA
space
$15,972 | POWERFUL
"I think the Police Department prefers its officers to be an occupying force rather than interacting with the community it serves," Sanders said.
This.

Enough of this police state. End the Fed. Vote Ron Paul 2012
Unread 4 years agoclass of '10 - away - #16
Bass Guitar 16 heat pts16 space
Anotha Brotha
space
$15,880 | POWERFUL
Well if this isnt an obvious way to show you that police are just encouraged to arrest you and nothing else I don't know what is.
Unread 4 years agoclass of '07 - away - #17
S0ap 19 heat pts19 space
NOLA • BR • H-TOWN
space
$2,367 | POWERFUL
they were on the clock so they pretty much can't bi*ch. its their job to be on guard at all times. and as a boss, if he didnt reprimand them then other cops would be on some "johnson and jones were playing football the other day and you didn't tell them anything. why can't I play video games on the clock?"
Unread 4 years agoclass of '09 - away - #18
Kontrast0 44 heat pts44 space
Yea Thats Right...
space
$24,739 | POWERFUL
Pffft
Unread 4 years agoclass of '10 - away - #19
super vILLain 5 heat pts space
F**K YOU, PAY ME
space
$4,806 | 18826083
I hate the overall police system and most police in general but there's some of them that really sign up to help people and do good. But the people in charge only care about numbers, whether it's money or arrests.
Unread 4 years agoclass of '05 - away - #20
bobbysteels18 554 heat pts554 space
The World is your's
space
$6,410 | POWERFUL
Dam b thats fu*ked up, The cops trying to be nice. ya know make the little kid think all cops are not bad. Then they get in trouble for it WTF................

Home > all sections > BX Daily Bugle

join bx

that hot ish yesterday

most viewed right now
18 viewing
Image inside The Struggle is Real out here
111 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
12 viewing
Image inside college student drives Barbie Jeep around campus after DWI arrest
108 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
12 viewing
Image inside Post Your "Perfect Girl"
128 comments
1 day ago
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
11 viewing
Article inside [Download] Rick Ross' "Black Dollar" Drops at 3:05PM Exclusively On D..
126 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
10 viewing
Video inside Smack/URL Presents- Tay Roc vs Brizz Rawsteen [ANTICIPATION/DISCUSSION ..
107 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
8 viewing
Image inside Sep 3 - Here Are the First Jobs Robots Will Take Over, in One Chart
21 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
7 viewing
Video inside "Best Madden Yet" has player block air and then take out two teammates ..
66 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
6 viewing
Article inside Disney Reportedly Considered AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON A "Failure"
81 comments
2 days ago
@movies
^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |  © BX 1998-end of time