This is BX @ Boxden.com

Sep 18 - Community Service Required for Michigan Welfare Recipients

Sep 18 - Community Service Required for Michigan Welfare Recipients
topic by P DRILLA - 09-18-2013, 02:23 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

...and drug testing> Sep 18 - Community Service Required for Michigan Welfare Recipients - Photo posted in BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines | Sign in and leave a comment below!

LANSING — Both the House and Senate took aim at struggling Michiganders Wednesday, passing bills that would deny unemployment benefits to people who refuse to take a drug test required by employers and require community service for people receiving government a$sistance.

The drug testing bill, which passed the House Commerce Committee on a 12-4 vote with three Democrats passing on the issue, would deny unemployment benefits for people who either refused to take a drug test required by an employer or tested positive.

The community service bill, which passed the state Senate on a 27-9 vote would require people receiving food stamps or other welfare benefits to perform community service in order to get the money.

Republicans called the bills common sense.

“There is absolutely nothing wrong with requiring folks to have a little skin in the game,” said state Sen. Joe Hune, R-Hamburg Township. “All they have to do is a little community service to get their benefits.”

But Democrats said they were targeting low-income people for merely political purposes leading into the 2014 election season. The bills continue a trend that began earlier this year with proposed legislation that targets benefit recipients for suspicion based drug testing and allows for the denial of benefits if a child is truant from school. Those bills have passed the House and await action in the Senate.

“Wholesale drug testing without suspicion is simply illegal,” said Shelli Weisberg, spokeswoman for the ACLU in Michigan. “If we’re going down the road of drug testing for people who receive benefits, then we better start drug testing legislators.”

State Rep. Jon Switalski, D-Warren, offered an amendment to the drug testing bill that would do just that, but it failed.

“If the majority feels that drug testing for people on the public dole is good policy, then it’s clearly in the interest of good public policy to test all of us on the public dole,” he said. “But this is a bill about the elections in 2014 and nothing else.”

Anti-tax activist Bill McMaster noted that the bills don’t take into account Michigan’s overwhelming support in a 2008 ballot initiative for the use of medical marijuana.

“It’s somewhat mysterious to me that you’re trying to eliminate the will of the people on the medical marijuana front,” he said. “A good number of people are employed successfully who are using medical marijuana.”

State Sen. Vincent Gregory, D-Southfield said it didn’t make sense to make someone like a single mother to have to pay child care costs while performing state required community service. He offered an amendment, which ultimately failed, that would require the Department of Human Service to pick up child care costs while parents are doing community service.

“We need to give residents a helping hand and not force them to do other things to get a$sistance from the state,” he said.

The drug testing bill (HB 4952) now moves to the full House of Representatives. While the community service bill (SB276) moves to the House for consideration.

State lawmakers pass bill requiring community service for those on welfare | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

23 comments for "Sep 18 - Community Service Required for Michigan Welfare Recipients"

09-18-2013, 02:28 PMaway - #2
StateProperty88 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$32,915 | POWERFUL
not a fan of the drug bill. i must say i dont really have a problem with the community service. not mandatory (which is what the bill is proposing), but i think everyone should contribute to their community some how. we recently had our "camden day of service" in camden, nj (im sure a lot of you heard about the city) it didnt cure all but its a contribution
 09-18-2013, 04:26 PMaway - #3
ThaLockerRoom 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$1,245 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by StateProperty88
not a fan of the drug bill. i must say i dont really have a problem with the community service. not mandatory (which is what the bill is proposing), but i think everyone should contribute to their community some how. we recently had our "camden day of service" in camden, nj (im sure a lot of you heard about the city) it didnt cure all but its a contribution
Anti-tax activist Bill McMaster noted that the bills don’t take into account Michigan’s overwhelming support in a 2008 ballot initiative for the use of medical marijuana.

“It’s somewhat mysterious to me that you’re trying to eliminate the will of the people on the medical marijuana front,” he said. “A good number of people are employed successfully who are using medical marijuana.”

State Sen. Vincent Gregory, D-Southfield said it didn’t make sense to make someone like a single mother to have to pay child care costs while performing state required community service. He offered an amendment, which ultimately failed, that would require the Department of Human Service to pick up child care costs while parents are doing community service.
 09-18-2013, 06:27 PMaway - #4
P DRILLA 76 heat pts76

d 
space
$8,317 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by StateProperty88
i feel you, i'm all for service, but i'm kinda leery about gov't mandated service

...about the drug testing part, if they test welfare recipients then legislators should submit to testing as well
 09-18-2013, 08:48 PMaway - #5
SickaMorStyle 398 heat pts398

d 
space
$3,927 | POWERFUL
 09-18-2013, 08:58 PMaway - #6
Throbbin' Thicke 70 heat pts70

d 
space
$9,494 | POWERFUL
I approve of the community service. If you are going to take ta payers money you should at least give something back to the community
 09-18-2013, 09:21 PMaway - #7
CS35 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$9,159 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Avitos Way
I approve of the community service. If you are going to take ta payers money you should at least give something back to the community
 09-18-2013, 09:31 PMaway - #8
Quddus 5 heat pts

d 
space
$6,001 | 14875730
Originally Posted by Avitos Way
A lot of people receiving those benefits have kids. So who gone watch they kids while they're trying to do some lame a$s community service?

I see what they trying to do but the more people they continue to cut the worst thing gets. The thing is they wanna get down on poor people. But our system is designed for a person to be poor and person to not be.

Jobs moving away and min wage low. There are so few jobs in Michigan it's a shame.
 09-19-2013, 05:25 AMaway - #9
Dos-effect 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$14,677 | POWERFUL
Another attack on the poor......meanwhile those who passed the laws are taking full advantage of government subsidies..........never understood why these fools don't focus on bringing in jobs....as opposed to trying to punish the people they believe don't have one.......
 09-19-2013, 05:41 AMaway - #10

d 
space
$32,915 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Quddus
A lot of people receiving those benefits have kids. So who gone watch they kids while they're trying to do some lame a$s community service?

I see what they trying to do but the more people they continue to cut the worst thing gets. The thing is they wanna get down on poor people. But our system is designed for a person to be poor and person to not be.

Jobs moving away and min wage low. There are so few jobs in Michigan it's a shame.
community service is NOT lame, we not talking about ni##as picking up trash on the highway here
 09-19-2013, 05:42 AMaway - #11

d 
space
$32,915 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ThaLockerRoom
help me out with the correlation between my post and what you quoted from the article, because i dont see it
 09-19-2013, 05:48 AMaway - #12
Gatorfan2611 8 heat pts

d 
space
$3,299 | 16918308

If this is not going to be done, then don't even bother having the conversation. That's like not protecting people from losing their job if they have jury duty.
 09-19-2013, 06:18 AMaway - #13
Tony Franks 3 heat pts

d 
space
$5,424 | POWERFUL
All people who receive money from our taxes need to be drug tested then. Not just poor people.

I fux wit the community service part, but for people with children, special provisions need to be made for them.
 09-19-2013, 06:54 AMaway - #14
DEDOS 99 heat pts99

d 
space
$42,758 | POWERFUL
and whats the problem? you getting free money from the taxpayers is it too much to ask to give back

09-19-2013, 07:13 AMaway - #15
Thetinman 23 heat pts23

d 
space
$2,611 | POWERFUL
How about jobs? Oh yeah y'all ni##as outsourced almost all of them smh. btw dem drug test are gonna cost taxpayers more money than welfare, and after what they did to detroit, I want all officials, bankers ect to take drug, and IQ test out this ####.

Now the com service for stamps makes sense if they were getting the moneys worth... the av household only get abt 130/150 a month, if it's anything like where i live where it's a min of 20 hours a week than thats some bull#### too. thats 80 hours a month for 150? how about ni##as stop with the bull####, and put more pub sector jobs on the books.
 09-19-2013, 07:36 AMaway - #16
Tha Problum 34 heat pts34

d 
space
$18,211 | POWERFUL
Great idea.
 09-19-2013, 07:41 AMaway - #17
erickonasis 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$13,666 | POWERFUL
So you get laid off after working for say 10 years straight and the first thing you gotta do is go get a drug test to recieve your unemployment?

GTFOH

Last edited by erickonasis; 09-19-2013 at 08:50 AM..
 09-19-2013, 08:22 AMaway - #18
matelyan 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$8,419 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Dos-effect
Another attack on the poor......meanwhile those who passed the laws are taking full advantage of government subsidies..........never understood why these fools don't focus on bringing in jobs....as opposed to trying to punish the people they believe don't have one.......
Unfortunately the poor in our society have accepted their fate and have chosen to not "f!ght" the system. I hate to sound cliché, but the French stormed the Bastille when they had enough and our founding fathers told Britain to p#ss off once they had enough. Hopefully there will come a point when the poor and even middle class of America say enough is enough and finally go after our inept and greedy government and their corporate masters. Until that time comes, this country will continue to #### all over the poor and the middle class.
 09-19-2013, 08:25 AMaway - #19
getyagameup 24 heat pts24

d 
space
$4,027 | POWERFUL
retarded. everyone in congress needs to be independently drug tested then and all state government officials, up to and including the governors and mayors. always put more pressure on poor people. #### getting more jobs for people, let's create more debt by uselessly drug testing poor people who are probably getting high because they don't have any ####ing money because they don't have a ####ing job. who's going to pay for all this? this is one of the most backward a$s countries in the world, i swear.
 09-19-2013, 08:37 AMaway - #20
Dos-effect 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$14,677 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by matelyan
Unfortunately the poor in our society have accepted their fate and have chosen to not "f!ght" the system. I hate to sound cliché, but the French stormed the Bastille when they had enough and our founding fathers told Britain to p#ss off once they had enough. Hopefully there will come a point when the poor and even middle class of America say enough is enough and finally go after our inept and greedy government and their corporate masters. Until that time comes, this country will continue to #### all over the poor and the middle class.
It both cases the countries were at a period of growth and had great potential for domestic growth through natural refinements............in these days........the game board has been set, the only thing a revolution will resolve is more police states and curfews. Small time revolutions are yesterday's news......today we need a massive over haul of the system.......on some end of f!ght Club type ####.......an implosion from within their system of wealth and retardation.........not that I endorse that type of thing of course

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Microsoft Investigating Xbox Owners for Fraudulently Refunding ..
72 comments
NBA Carmelo Anthony busts a nut in Lebron's eye (video)
83 comments
NFL Dallas Cowboys fans are losing their minds
50 comments
 Image(s) inside Hov. Migos. Rowdy Rebel
New reply 16 seconds ago - 52 comments - by chrismb
 Image(s) inside Nas Gettin Sucked Off By Madonna In The Studio (pic)
New reply 6 minutes ago - 111 comments - by PyrexVisionary
 Video inside Throwback: Iggy Azalea Refuses To Freestyle On Sway In...
New reply 51 seconds ago - 131 comments - by The Bully
 audio inside Nas - The Season (full Version)
New reply 8 minutes ago - 106 comments - by MANNYSOSA
 Image(s) inside Oct 28 - Life Under Obama Sucks. And These Numbers Pro...
New reply 1 minute ago - 92 comments - by KFrizzle
 NFL Week 9- Tnf- New Orleans Saints Vs. Carolina Panthers
New reply 11 minutes ago - 461 comments - by Frasier
 Image(s) inside Nicki Minaj's Boyfriend Responds To Drake & Wayne ...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 76 comments - by Frankybaby
 Video inside Before Dej Loaf Would Get Your Whole "fombily&quo...
New reply 17 minutes ago - 138 comments - by lilbeast

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,832 fans of BX | none new today 4,799 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.