b o x d e n hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now hot topics today top last 48 hours all sections videos pics tracks headlines  

Oct 12 - John McCain: Citizens United Is 'Worst Decision Ever'

People Viewing This Topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

join bx

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook
 Oct 12 - John McCain: Citizens United Is 'Worst Decision Ever'
topic by Ham Rove - 10-12-2012, 10:12 AM

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) continued his harsh criticism of the Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling this week, calling it the bench's "worst decision ever."

“They said money is free speech. Since when is money free speech?” McCain asked a crowd at an event put on by the Oxford Union at the University of Oxford, according to the Oxonian Globalist. “Money is money.”

The Supreme Court's 2010 ruling, which allowed corporations, unions and individuals to pour unlimited amounts of money into elections through super PACs, has elicited a strong responses from McCain in the past. Earlier this year he predicted that the unfettered influx of money, often from undisclosed sources, would lead to "huge scandals" in upcoming elections.

McCain has traditionally been one of Congress' most enthusiastic supporters of campaign finance reform, and he lamented the demise of such efforts in the wake of the Citizens United decision. At times, he's appeared to act as if he's willing to accept defeat.

Congressional Democrats have since pushed the DISCLOSE Act, a response to Citizens United that sought to rein in the flow of secret and foreign money into elections. McCain first refused to support it in 2010 over his belief that it disproportionately favored unions. Democrats proposed another version of the bill this year, but McCain again demurred over the same concerns, despite guarantees that it treated corporations and unions fairly.
John McCain: Citizens United Is 'Worst Decision Ever' ... 'Money Is Money,' Not Free Speech
Kind of weird, considering Citizens United actually kinda screwed Conservatives. Cause in the primaries Romney just outspent everyone. If he didn't have all that money, we could have a different Nominee.

17 comments for "Oct 12 - John McCain: Citizens United Is 'Worst Decision Ever'"

10-12-2012, 10:23 AMaway - #2
matelyan 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$8,559 | POWERFUL
I don't recall the last time I agreed with McCain. But he is spot on with this one!
 10-12-2012, 10:50 AMaway - #3
stogz 9 heat pts

d 
space
$27,771 | POWERFUL
lol...

corporations are "people"

money is "speech"

country is a shambles
 10-12-2012, 10:54 AMaway - #4
Suppafresh 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$5,170 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by stogz
lol...

corporations are "people"

money is "speech"

country is a shambles
That money in the pocket of the justices
 10-12-2012, 01:50 PMonline - #5
foestacks 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$4,506 | 19962108
I agree with McCain
 10-12-2012, 02:46 PMaway - #6
Dos-effect 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$14,677 | POWERFUL
Hah.......McCain speaking on ideas that were the worst ever..........
 10-12-2012, 11:05 PMaway - #7
monrowe 3 heat pts

d 
space
$9,778 | 14520581
Money is free speech.. Who I make my donations to is my support to that group...in the same why the CEO of chick fila donates to these church groups that got him in trouble.. So by in large it causes alot of issues when u dont really know where that money comes from and when you don't exactly "approve of this messgage". But you can flip the ruling but that just means you won't get ads that say approve this message. They will just buy time and run spots. I'm convinced romney donated to himself tho. But then again all he had to do is look cool while the rest of those folks k!lled themself with regular scandal. I don't think ads are influential at all so don't think it's a big deal.
 10-12-2012, 11:57 PMaway - #8
keen77 3 heat pts

d 
space
$2,245 | 16664566
wow one thing i actually agree with him on
 10-13-2012, 01:10 AMaway - #9
kevante 3 heat pts

d 
space
$4,247 | 13611585
The old McCain is coming back

People forget, he was actually pretty moderate and a good candidate, before he actually got the presidential bid. And then of course, picking Palin

I agree with OP, it's screwing a lot of politicians who aren't "wealthy". Sets the precedent to have these rich business men take control of our public office, even more so than now. This is definitely one of the worst decisions ever. It had good intentions, but was very poorly written
 10-13-2012, 02:22 AMaway - #10
Ham Rove 2090 heat pts2090

d 
space
$38,193 | POWERFUL
Yeah, I don't think it had good intentions lol. But its hard, money is a very corrupting agent. I think lots of these guys knew this would enable them to get their pockets lined by corporations and usually have cushy jobs after they leave Gov. to lobby or w/e. Corporations loved it, because as it turns out, lots of politicians sell out for cheap, considering the kind of returns the Corporations get for owning legislators. The returns are incredible lol. So they packaged it as a "freedom of speech" issue and most regular people who don't pay lots of attention to this type of stuff said "oh well yeah that sounds reasonable." I think opinion is changing though.

Last edited by Ham Rove; 10-13-2012 at 02:24 AM..
 10-13-2012, 02:44 AMaway - #11
Dangerously 208 heat pts208

d 
space
$46,337 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by NoTitleSince73

Kind of weird, considering Citizens United actually kinda screwed Conservatives. Cause in the primaries Romney just outspent everyone. If he didn't have all that money, we could have a different Nominee.
Here's a good article on why.

John McCain has been calling for campaign finance reform for many years.
 10-13-2012, 02:44 AMaway - #12
Got Cheeve? 111 heat pts111

d 
space
$41,000 | POWERFUL

To McCain here.
 10-13-2012, 04:29 AMonline - #13
Arson 82 heat pts82

d 
space
$29,289 | POWERFUL
politics are so dumb. McCain hates Citizen's united but wont vote for a democrat proposed bill that basically reverses what he doesn't like about the bill

Last edited by Arson; 10-13-2012 at 04:36 AM..
 10-13-2012, 07:48 AMaway - #14
supervillain 196 heat pts196

d 
space
$12,394 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by monrowe
Money is free speech.. Who I make my donations to is my support to that group...in the same why the CEO of chick fila donates to these church groups that got him in trouble.. So by in large it causes alot of issues when u dont really know where that money comes from and when you don't exactly "approve of this messgage". But you can flip the ruling but that just means you won't get ads that say approve this message. They will just buy time and run spots. I'm convinced romney donated to himself tho. But then again all he had to do is look cool while the rest of those folks k!lled themself with regular scandal. I don't think ads are influential at all so don't think it's a big deal.
You are an individual tho, not a corporation....think about that for a sec. Should a corporation have the same rights as an individual?
 10-13-2012, 10:42 AMaway - #15
Suppafresh 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$5,170 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by supervillain
You are an individual tho, not a corporation....think about that for a sec. Should a corporation have the same rights as an individual?
Man people are corporation to, they just out here trying to function!!!!!
 10-13-2012, 04:26 PMaway - #16
TizOnly1 

d 
space
$1,770 | 10466729
Yeah, McCain going back to his sane ways, it appears.

John McCain was one of the best Senators for at least a decade before his 2008 presidential run, when he came face to face with what the issues with campaign finance really are.. and he had to sell out to keep up. It really is a shame, since he fought against it for so long.. only to be rendered a victim of the broken system in the end, and have to sell out to even attempt to keep pace with guys like Romney.. and eventually Obama after he won the nomination.

As for Citizens United... it's easy to get on the judges.. and probably accurate enough.. but the problem with the Supreme Court is that (ideally) they just interpret law. It's not their job to decide whether a law is good or not.. they just decide whether the law is constitutional, and interpret the law in the specific cases they see. In the case of CU, they were naive enough to not think the Super PAC would be born, and so easily abusable (at least that's what they said in the decision).. but even if they weren't so naive, and they knew this would happen.. even if it's not what they wanted (doubtful enough...), that doesn't mean they would or should have voted another way. It's not about right versus wrong, or good versus evil.. It's about whether or not something is constitutional.

We need a constitutional amendment to really tackle campaign finance... and it will never come, because the only ones with the power to bring about campaign finance reform, are the very politicians that benefit from the system. If you are a congressman or senator.. it's because you won your election. In most cases, it's because you outspent your opponent. If you won, thanks to outspending.. chances are you don't wanna change the rules of the game that allowed you to win before. You don't wanna give up your kickbacks, and you don't wanna cede your advantages.

The people can cause a groundswell... but ####.. it's 2012... the days of meaningful protest in America are in the past.
 10-14-2012, 12:19 AMaway - #17
keen77 3 heat pts

d 
space
$2,245 | 16664566
let's not forget this f*cker was cosponser of 2012's NDAA. Co-wrote the Bill. As far as I'm concerned, despite all the rhetoric and party lines bull####, Obama and him are in bed together politically and morally

Video inside  Dec 21 - Police officer shot & killed in Florida
135 comments
Dec 21 - Police dispatch audio of two nypd officer shot
85 comments
What's Quentin Tarantino's best film in your opinion
110 comments
 Image(s) inside Chief Keef's Art Show/gallery #picassosaseason
New reply 2 minutes ago - 80 comments - by RIP4SBG
 NBA Master P: "kobe, Hit Me Up! I Can Save Your Seaso...
New reply 16 minutes ago - 57 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 Image(s) inside Meek Mill On Bobby Shmurda Situation. (might Be Too Mu...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 84 comments - by FreeBigga
 Article inside Bobby Shmurda Facing A Total Of 71 Years In Prison
New reply 16 minutes ago - 205 comments - by sdot216
  Dec 20 - Man Supposedly Shot And Killed In The Dayton ...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 80 comments - by AllenSports
 Image(s) inside Get Ready Fellas! Our Prayers Being Answered? Nicki Mi...
New reply 25 minutes ago - 173 comments - by 187Proof
 BOX Roy Jones Jr. Dissing Floyd
New reply 13 minutes ago - 238 comments - by elferoz
 Image(s) inside Godfather Fif Reacts To News Of 2 Police Officers Bein...
New reply 30 minutes ago - 186 comments - by Carlton Black

like bx on facebook follow bx on twitter
5,903 fans of BX | none new today 4,850 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.