Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now most viewers #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

Oct 12 - John McCain: Citizens United Is 'Worst Decision Ever'

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
150 viewing
 Video inside Kim Kardashian gets in a car accident, gives zero cuffs for daughters s..
64 comments
most viewed right now
114 viewing
 NBA Jared Dudley Talking Reckless On The Heard! sh-ts On Melo!
81 comments

top in section
62 viewing
 Video inside Young Thug says he left Rich Gang and he's coming out with a Carter 5 M..
top in hiphop
top in section
31 viewing
 NBA NBA release the logo for the ASG '16 in Drake i mean Toronto
top in sports

people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

let em know » Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 Oct 12 - John McCain: Citizens United Is 'Worst Decision Ever'
Unread 3 years agoclass of '07 - away - #1
934 pageviews
17 comments

Ham Rove 2601 heat pts2601 space
fu*k It
space
$42,657 | POWERFUL
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) continued his harsh criticism of the Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling this week, calling it the bench's "worst decision ever."

“They said money is free speech. Since when is money free speech?” McCain asked a crowd at an event put on by the Oxford Union at the University of Oxford, according to the Oxonian Globalist. “Money is money.”

The Supreme Court's 2010 ruling, which allowed corporations, unions and individuals to pour unlimited amounts of money into elections through super PACs, has elicited a strong responses from McCain in the past. Earlier this year he predicted that the unfettered influx of money, often from undisclosed sources, would lead to "huge scandals" in upcoming elections.

McCain has traditionally been one of Congress' most enthusiastic supporters of campaign finance reform, and he lamented the demise of such efforts in the wake of the Citizens United decision. At times, he's appeared to act as if he's willing to accept defeat.

Congressional Democrats have since pushed the DISCLOSE Act, a response to Citizens United that sought to rein in the flow of secret and foreign money into elections. McCain first refused to support it in 2010 over his belief that it disproportionately favored unions. Democrats proposed another version of the bill this year, but McCain again demurred over the same concerns, despite guarantees that it treated corporations and unions fairly.
John McCain: Citizens United Is 'Worst Decision Ever' ... 'Money Is Money,' Not Free Speech
Kind of weird, considering Citizens United actually kinda screwed Conservatives. Cause in the primaries Romney just outspent everyone. If he didn't have all that money, we could have a different Nominee.
2 peeps gave props to Ham Rove Dangerously (10-13-2012) , hot topic  (10-12-2012)

17 comments for "Oct 12 - John McCain: Citizens United Is 'Worst Decision Ever'"

- To post a comment, join the squad -

Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #2
matelyan 20 heat pts20 space
God's Son
space
$9,083 | POWERFUL
I don't recall the last time I agreed with McCain. But he is spot on with this one!
Unread 3 years agoclass of '07 - on now - #3
stogz 9 heat pts space
space
$29,870 | POWERFUL
lol...

corporations are "people"

money is "speech"

country is a shambles
Unread 3 years agoclass of '11 - away - #4
Suppafresh 25 heat pts25 space
space
$5,459 | POWERFUL
stogz said:
lol...

corporations are "people"

money is "speech"

country is a shambles
That money in the pocket of the justices
Unread 3 years agoclass of '08 - away - #5
foestacks 11 heat pts11 space
THE GAWD
space
$4,519 | 20387108
I agree with McCain
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #6
Dos-effect 20 heat pts20 space
REVOLUTION DE GRATE
space
$14,677 | POWERFUL
Hah.......McCain speaking on ideas that were the worst ever..........
Unread 3 years agoclass of '05 - away - #7
monrowe 3 heat pts space
space
$10,467 | 14960196
Money is free speech.. Who I make my donations to is my support to that group...in the same why the CEO of chick fila donates to these church groups that got him in trouble.. So by in large it causes alot of issues when u dont really know where that money comes from and when you don't exactly "approve of this messgage". But you can flip the ruling but that just means you won't get ads that say approve this message. They will just buy time and run spots. I'm convinced romney donated to himself tho. But then again all he had to do is look cool while the rest of those folks k!lled themself with regular scandal. I don't think ads are influential at all so don't think it's a big deal.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '11 - away - #8
keen77 3 heat pts space
Pax de Veritas
space
$2,251 | 16788710
wow one thing i actually agree with him on
Unread 3 years agoclass of '10 - away - #9
kevante 3 heat pts space
Critical Thinker
space
$4,247 | 13611585
The old McCain is coming back

People forget, he was actually pretty moderate and a good candidate, before he actually got the presidential bid. And then of course, picking Palin

I agree with OP, it's screwing a lot of politicians who aren't "wealthy". Sets the precedent to have these rich business men take control of our public office, even more so than now. This is definitely one of the worst decisions ever. It had good intentions, but was very poorly written
Unread 3 years agoclass of '07 - away - #10
Ham Rove 2601 heat pts2601 space
fu*k It
space
$42,657 | POWERFUL
Yeah, I don't think it had good intentions lol. But its hard, money is a very corrupting agent. I think lots of these guys knew this would enable them to get their pockets lined by corporations and usually have cushy jobs after they leave Gov. to lobby or w/e. Corporations loved it, because as it turns out, lots of politicians sell out for cheap, considering the kind of returns the Corporations get for owning legislators. The returns are incredible lol. So they packaged it as a "freedom of speech" issue and most regular people who don't pay lots of attention to this type of stuff said "oh well yeah that sounds reasonable." I think opinion is changing though.

Last edited by Ham Rove; 10-13-2012 at 01:24 AM..
Unread 3 years agoclass of '08 - away - #11
Dangerously 214 heat pts214 space
Steph&Klay&Iggy&HB&Bogut
space
$48,884 | POWERFUL
NoTitleSince73 said:

Kind of weird, considering Citizens United actually kinda screwed Conservatives. Cause in the primaries Romney just outspent everyone. If he didn't have all that money, we could have a different Nominee.
Here's a good article on why.

John McCain has been calling for campaign finance reform for many years.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '06 - away - #12
Got Cheeve? 111 heat pts111 space
Borrowed Time
space
$41,000 | POWERFUL

To McCain here.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '08 - on now - #13
Arson 82 heat pts82 space
sh*t Skressful Bruh
space
$31,367 | POWERFUL
politics are so dumb. McCain hates Citizen's united but wont vote for a democrat proposed bill that basically reverses what he doesn't like about the bill

Last edited by Arson; 10-13-2012 at 03:36 AM..
Unread 3 years agoclass of '08 - on now - #14
supervillain 215 heat pts215 space
>>> Gij,j=0 <<<
space
$12,745 | POWERFUL
monrowe said:
Money is free speech.. Who I make my donations to is my support to that group...in the same why the CEO of chick fila donates to these church groups that got him in trouble.. So by in large it causes alot of issues when u dont really know where that money comes from and when you don't exactly "approve of this messgage". But you can flip the ruling but that just means you won't get ads that say approve this message. They will just buy time and run spots. I'm convinced romney donated to himself tho. But then again all he had to do is look cool while the rest of those folks k!lled themself with regular scandal. I don't think ads are influential at all so don't think it's a big deal.
You are an individual tho, not a corporation....think about that for a sec. Should a corporation have the same rights as an individual?
Unread 3 years agoclass of '11 - away - #15
Suppafresh 25 heat pts25 space
space
$5,459 | POWERFUL
supervillain said:
You are an individual tho, not a corporation....think about that for a sec. Should a corporation have the same rights as an individual?
Man people are corporation to, they just out here trying to function!!!!!
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #16
TizOnly1  space
space
$1,864 | 11704479
Yeah, McCain going back to his sane ways, it appears.

John McCain was one of the best Senators for at least a decade before his 2008 presidential run, when he came face to face with what the issues with campaign finance really are.. and he had to sell out to keep up. It really is a shame, since he fought against it for so long.. only to be rendered a victim of the broken system in the end, and have to sell out to even attempt to keep pace with guys like Romney.. and eventually Obama after he won the nomination.

As for Citizens United... it's easy to get on the judges.. and probably accurate enough.. but the problem with the Supreme Court is that (ideally) they just interpret law. It's not their job to decide whether a law is good or not.. they just decide whether the law is constitutional, and interpret the law in the specific cases they see. In the case of CU, they were naive enough to not think the Super PAC would be born, and so easily abusable (at least that's what they said in the decision).. but even if they weren't so naive, and they knew this would happen.. even if it's not what they wanted (doubtful enough...), that doesn't mean they would or should have voted another way. It's not about right versus wrong, or good versus evil.. It's about whether or not something is constitutional.

We need a constitutional amendment to really tackle campaign finance... and it will never come, because the only ones with the power to bring about campaign finance reform, are the very politicians that benefit from the system. If you are a congressman or senator.. it's because you won your election. In most cases, it's because you outspent your opponent. If you won, thanks to outspending.. chances are you don't wanna change the rules of the game that allowed you to win before. You don't wanna give up your kickbacks, and you don't wanna cede your advantages.

The people can cause a groundswell... but sh*t.. it's 2012... the days of meaningful protest in America are in the past.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '11 - away - #17
keen77 3 heat pts space
Pax de Veritas
space
$2,251 | 16788710
let's not forget this f*cker was cosponser of 2012's NDAA. Co-wrote the Bill. As far as I'm concerned, despite all the rhetoric and party lines bullsh*t, Obama and him are in bed together politically and morally

Home > all sections > BX Daily Bugle

join bx

that hot ish yesterday

most viewed right now
42 viewing
Image inside Jay-Z and Beyonce at the headquarters of Tidal. Not one black employee
147 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
40 viewing
Image inside More Pics From Lionel "Chinx" Pickens Funeral [Instagram]
148 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
36 viewing
Video inside Taraji P. Henson Twerks In A Bikini
31 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
32 viewing
Image inside That Body....Kamaren Cole
46 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
31 viewing
Video inside Tinashe talks getting her pu**y slammed for the first time while watchi..
185 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
20 viewing
May 26 - US warned by Chinese media to stop meddling or ‘war will be inevitable’
106 comments
@news
most viewed right now
16 viewing
Image inside Joe Budden begging you guys to turn him to a smiley here
116 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
13 viewing
Image inside Creshunda Miller Thick As Fvck
40 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
11 viewing
Image inside Got Em
28 comments
@gear

^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |  © BX 1998-end of time