This is BX @ Boxden.com

Nov 8 - Highland Park, Michigan Tearing Out Its Streetlights To Cut Costs

Nov 8 - Highland Park, Michigan Tearing Out Its Streetlights To Cut Costs
topic by Ham Rove - 11-08-2011, 12:39 AM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

The economic slowdown has put countless people out of work and eliminated millions of dollars in homeowner wealth. States and cities haven't been immune to its effects, either.

Faced with shrinking tax revenues and pressure to cut costs, more than half of U.S. cities have cut staff, cancelled construction projects or raised fees this year, according to The National League of Cities, and many communities have had to scale back the kinds of public services that in more robust times people simply took for granted.

Highland Park, Michigan, a city in the greater Detroit area, is the latest town to implement dramatic austerity measures, according to the a$sociated Press.

With $58 million in municipal debt and a $60,000 monthly electric bill that it can't pay, Highland Park has elected to remove 1,000 of its 1,500 streetlights -- not just turning the power off, but tearing the poles themselves out of the ground.

It's a strategy that's unlikely to fix most of Highland Park's economic woes. The town's unemployment rate is 22 percent -- more than twice the national rate -- and 42 percent of residents live below the poverty line.

Still, Highland Park needs to trim expenses, and it isn't the first town to turn off its lights in the name of doing so. Clintonville, Wisconsin has stopped operating 10 percent of its streetlights, reportedly saving $7,000, according to local news station WHBL. Santa Rosa is in the midst of a four-year effort to remove thousands of streetlights, and similar steps have been taken in North Andover, Massachusetts; Montgomery, Pennsylvania; and South Portland, Maine, according to USA Today.

But cutting back on public lighting may be giving rise to new problems. Oakland, California has been using lower-output bulbs in its streetlamps for the past several years, and locals believe the dimmer light has contributed to an uptick in crime, according to The New York Times.

Other public services have suffered as struggling local governments look for ways to make ends meet. Last year, Denver slashed $500,000 from its trash-collection budget, leading to complaints that the city was becoming clogged with garbage. Public libraries across the country have been closed down or had their hours curtailed. And more than half of the nation's county and city health departments have cut back on at least one program in the past year, according to The Wall Street Journal.

As state and local governments continue to bleed out -- shedding jobs at about the same rate that the private sector is adding them -- many are turning to contract employees to do the same jobs as former government employees for less money, the NYT reports. But experts are divided on whether these measures have had the intended effect of saving money.
Highland Park, Michigan Tearing Out Its Streetlights To Cut Costs

Latest News Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

28 comments for "Nov 8 - Highland Park, Michigan Tearing Out Its Streetlights To Cut Costs"

11-08-2011, 12:14 PMaway - #2
Tony Franks 2 heat pts

d 
space
$4,618 | 17799135
Wow, michigan is already !!ed up. Now, the streets are gonna be darker. Its bout to be the wild wild west in michigan by 2020.
 11-08-2011, 12:22 PMaway - #3
Staszy 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$2,389 | 18436351
 11-08-2011, 09:28 PMaway - #4
hate_me_now 4 heat pts

d 
space
$114 | 18088916
Yeah people in michigan are hurtin trust me I know, sh&t is ill, has been for a minute now. New governor an't helping things either, if I had enough I would bail to somewhere diff, no doubt.
 11-09-2011, 12:52 AMaway - #5
jayjay2 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$6,332 | 14363868
haha damn, it's gone seriously be dark in mich. figuratively and literally

Originally Posted by Tony Franks
Wow, michigan is already !!ed up. Now, the streets are gonna be darker. Its bout to be the wild wild west in michigan by 2020.

Last edited by jayjay2; 11-09-2011 at 12:57 AM..
 11-09-2011, 01:30 AMonline - #6
Based_One 61 heat pts61

d 
space
$6,754 | POWERFUL
Damn that !! !!ed up
 11-09-2011, 05:24 AMonline - #7
TheCityOnMyMind 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$5,786 | POWERFUL
highland park is one of the worst places too, that place is beyond ghetto..
 11-09-2011, 05:27 AMonline - #8
Hovi Bryant 214 heat pts214

d 
space
$15,696 | POWERFUL
I agree with the above post.

!!'s like the middle east.
 11-09-2011, 05:38 AMaway - #9
freakbucket 

d 
space
$5,715 | 13588039
Originally Posted by TheCityOnMyMind
highland park is one of the worst places too, that place is beyond ghetto..
if yall thought Detroit was bad....lmao. Highland Park is like.... Highland Park is actually completely enclosed by Detroit, which is strange in itself. A city in a city. The police suck, the people (well the young black people) suck, and the joke of a court system has the most prejudice judges in the world. Automatically guilty...PAY THE FINE.

so glad im chillin in ATL now.
 11-09-2011, 05:51 AMaway - #10
djnoze 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,750 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by freakbucket
if yall thought Detroit was bad....lmao. Highland Park is like.... Highland Park is actually completely enclosed by Detroit, which is strange in itself. A city in a city. The police suck, the people (well the young black people) suck, and the joke of a court system has the most prejudice judges in the world. Automatically guilty...PAY THE FINE.

so glad im chillin in ATL now.
Generalizing at it's finest....
 11-09-2011, 07:06 AMaway - #11
Trill Clinton 23 heat pts23

d 
space
$5,760 | POWERFUL
Highland Park is the !!ing jungle.!! is like a big a$s Call of Duty map

this isn't a good look at all.
 11-09-2011, 07:22 AMaway - #12
dirtyglovethug 

d 
space
$263 | 1031398
years back when i turned 18 my friends tried to take me to a strip club for my first time. we drove around a while and looked for a place we wouldn't get carded at to buy liquor, sure enough it was highland park. ended up in deja vu, the strip club. i saw hoes with knife scars and old bullet wound looking !!. needless to say, we didn't stay. highland park also faced a lot of controversy for shutting of their fire hydrants years ago when a family burned alive in their home. i love detroit, but highland park is one !!ed up place.
 11-09-2011, 07:23 AMaway - #13
dirtyglovethug 

d 
space
$263 | 1031398
oh yeah, and in before ernieB tries to call the entire state of michigan a fail.
 11-09-2011, 07:26 AMaway - #14
Jugganot 

d 
space
$528 | 11458480
Originally Posted by Tony Franks
ya this is retarted though they are taking the light down to save money.....aint that gonna cost alot to pay ppl to take them down why not just turn it off and leave it there that would be the cheapest thing to do
 11-09-2011, 08:47 AMonline - #15
slapaho 2 heat pts

d 
space
$3,387 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by hate_me_now
Yeah people in michigan are hurtin trust me I know, sh&t is ill, has been for a minute now. New governor an't helping things either, if I had enough I would bail to somewhere diff, no doubt.
the funny thing about them hurtin is the songs and videos.. every nicca rich and driving down fucd up hoods in a range rover like its all good.

help clean that !! up dope boy rappers who got the stacs i mean damn no lightpoles and then that story few years bac bout the dead bodies piled up becuz nobody can afford to bury them.. seems more like a citizen issue really sure they need help but it seems like nobody there really give a fuc they just move and take the money with'em
 11-09-2011, 10:14 AMaway - #16
TheDirector217 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,130 | 6805008
Damn. I'm semi-shocked. I knew the "D" was in bad shape, but Highland Park is like that, like that?? And is Hamtramck bad as Highland Park, maybe worse as you all say?
 11-09-2011, 12:25 PMaway - #17
SteveSS 7 heat pts

d 
space
$4,030 | 16278524
This is why the suburbs are the !!.
 11-09-2011, 12:34 PMaway - #18
RoyaL CraCk 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,252 | 4529507
I'm from Flint, and I don't know was worse Highland Park or here Michigan in general a depressing place to live everyone I know wants to leave.
 11-09-2011, 01:07 PMaway - #19
Deniro732 4 heat pts

d 
space
$10,209 | POWERFUL
streetlights are a necessity though.. @ these dumb!!s doing this and not realizing the amount of accidents and crimes that will happen because of it
 11-09-2011, 01:23 PMaway - #20
hate_me_now 4 heat pts

d 
space
$114 | 18088916
Originally Posted by RoyaL CraCk
I'm from Flint, and I don't know was worse Highland Park or here Michigan in general a depressing place to live everyone I know wants to leave.
I feel you man, well for one flint is still the murda capital of the usa right now "I believe" so.... I dunno though, but both can be like my man said up there call of duty maps lol, !!s ill..

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Nike Has A Jordan Surprise Tomm (Apr 19) 10am EDT
57 comments
Article inside  Lindsay Lohan Confirms $ex List Is Real, Says She Wr..
79 comments
Xbox One surpassed 5 million sold
129 comments
 NBA Kobe To Begin Epic 6-month Training Program
New reply 27 seconds ago - 76 comments - by ogballer32
 Video inside Diamond At The Breakfast Club: Gucci Mane Slapped Lil ...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 88 comments - by BreakfastClub
 OT What 30 For 30s Do You Want To See Next?
New reply 1 minute ago - 148 comments - by Dangerously
 NBA Skip Bayless Says Russell Westbrook Is The Only Player...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 60 comments - by SeaJaiye
  "i Didn't Speak To Jay For 2 Weeks After Ether&qu...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 172 comments - by YungPrinceNY
 NBA Knick Fans Choose Your Side (it's Time)
New reply 14 minutes ago - 77 comments - by Dray
 Image(s) inside Chris Brown Mug Shot
New reply 4 minutes ago - 67 comments - by ogballer32
 Image(s) inside Rocsi Diaz Blasts August Alsina For Shutting Down 106...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 123 comments - by Carlton Black

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,701 fans of BX and 2 new today 4,654 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.