This is BX @ Boxden.com


May 15 - CA Lifts Gay Marriage Ban


 May 15 - CA Lifts Gay Marriage Ban
topic by C Nugget - 05-15-2008, 02:55 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines



California lifts gay marriage ban


California's ruling is expected to have an impact on the nationwide debate

California's top court has ruled that a state law banning marriage between same-secks couples is unconstitutional.

The state's Supreme Court said the "right to form a family relationship" applied to all Californians regardless of secksuality.

The ban was approved by voters in 2000 but challenged by gay rights activists and the city of San Francisco.

The state legislature twice passed laws to legalise gay marriage, but Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed them.

He said California's court system should rule on the matter.

The seven-judge panel voted 4-3 in favour of the plaintiffs who argued that the 2000 law was discriminatory.

"Limiting the designation of marriage to a union 'between a man and a woman' is unconstitutional and must be stricken from the statute," California Chief Justice Ron George said in the written opinion.

'Historic'

The decision was met outside the courthouse by cheers from gay marriage supporters.

"I'm profoundly grateful. This is a historic day," said San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera, who argued the city's case to the court.

"Everybody being entitled to equal protection under the law probably carried the day," he said.

The ruling paves the way for California to become only the second US state, after Massachusetts, to allow same-secks marriage.

The decision is expected to re-invigorate the f!ght for same-secks marriage rights nationwide, say gay activists and legal experts.

California's Supreme Court has a history of landmark rulings that are later picked nationally.

The state currently offers same-secks couples who register as domestic partners the same legal rights and responsibilities as married men and women.

Other states, such as Vermont and New Jersey, have similar civil union provisions.

Californian voters approved the ban against same-secks marriages in a 2000 referendum. The law stated that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognised in California".

In early 2004, San Francisco became the first place in the US where gay couples were able to marry after the city's Mayor Gavin Newsom authorised same-secks marriage licences, claiming the state legislation was discriminatory.

In August of that year, California's Supreme Court ruled the mayor had overstepped his authority and nullified the hundreds of marriages.

Gay rights group Equality California was joined by nearly two dozen gay couples and the city of San Francisco in bringing the case to the Supreme Court.
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7403547.stm


Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

100 comments for "May 15 - CA Lifts Gay Marriage Ban"


 05-15-2008, 03:16 PMaway - #2
HHS 

  d 
space
$4,904 | POWERFUL
I'm glad there's actually a positive story today.
 05-15-2008, 03:37 PMaway - #3
alias 1.0 

  d 
space
$273 | 0
:finger: i dont want no [!]s gettin married
 05-15-2008, 03:40 PMaway - #4
MrAmazing 

  d 
space
$1,516 | 5620299
homos
 05-15-2008, 03:48 PMaway - #5
Young Eazy E 

  d 
space
$3,758 | 10383268
Originally Posted by alias 1.0
:finger: i dont want no [!]s gettin married
Does this decision effect your life at all? No. Then shut the !! up and move along.

Keep the rights moving. Good decision.
 05-15-2008, 03:51 PMaway - #6
Styl3s 

  d 
space
$10,696 | 15122764
good news for the gay people, i cant stand how smallminded most the board is !!ing homophobe preteens

am i gay? no, do i care if gay people get married? no, its there !!ing life.. and i dont see you gay bashing when 2 girls start !!ing eachother

hypocrite dumbasses
 05-15-2008, 04:15 PMaway - #7
JaiMega 

  d 
space
$15,141 | 0
Who gives a !! if some [!] fudgepackers want to get married.
 05-15-2008, 04:19 PMaway - #8
Steveo54 7 heat pts

  d 
space
$6,458 | POWERFUL
yeah i dont see why its still banned most places? i mean !! if a person is gonna be gay, they are gonna be gay, not being married wont stop them. Marriage just gives them the options to file joint taxes, adopt children etc.

the only thing i dont like about gay marriage is the children adoption, cause that kid is subject to scrutiny from the second he becomes their child. but whatever, the sooner someone scoops em up, the better for them im sure.
 05-15-2008, 04:24 PMaway - #9
kingpin222 2 heat pts

  d 
space
$3,531 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Steveo54
yeah i dont see why its still banned most places? i mean !! if a person is gonna be gay, they are gonna be gay, not being married wont stop them. Marriage just gives them the options to file joint taxes, adopt children etc.

the only thing i dont like about gay marriage is the children adoption, cause that kid is subject to scrutiny from the second he becomes their child. but whatever, the sooner someone scoops em up, the better for them im sure.
worddd, thas how i feel, a home is a home if someone cares for you. childhood always gon suck...and !! atleast they got two parents most of us get one.
 05-15-2008, 04:25 PMonline - #10
Cezaroh 

  d 
space
$6,882 | 13515772
Originally Posted by Styl3s
good news for the gay people, i cant stand how smallminded most the board is !!ing homophobe preteens

am i gay? no, do i care if gay people get married? no, its there !!ing life.. and i dont see you gay bashing when 2 girls start !!ing eachother

hypocrite dumbasses
exactly what i was thinking why am i gonna tell another person how to live theyre life when i don't like people to telling me how to live mine.Plus i got enough problems to worry about in my life why do i want to worry about other peoples buisness.
 05-15-2008, 04:27 PMaway - #11
Fokuz 

  d 
space
$250 | 0
Now we need this ban in Massachusetts and Ill be, a O.K.
 05-15-2008, 05:20 PMaway - #12
JoeDoe22 41 heat pts41

  d 
space
$3,758 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Fokuz
Now we need this ban in Massachusetts and Ill be, a O.K.
T M I...
 05-15-2008, 05:22 PMaway - #13
Tempus # 1 3 heat pts

  d 
space
$17,228 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by alias 1.0
:finger: i dont want no [!]s gettin married
why? how does it affect you? let them be
 05-15-2008, 05:45 PMaway - #14
Thepeoplerunnin 

  d 
space
$4,208 | 0
It would effect it cause what happens if a weirdo wants to marry a goat........


Or if i wanna marry my ipod for instance what makes it okay.........



Or even more realistic what happens if a dude wants to marry 5 [..]stars particularly the ones from brazzers......



If you cater to the gay community who only makes up less than 8 percent of the population in this country if i beielive, what about the weirdos that are 10 and 20%?????


Thats the whole point...

Last edited by Thepeoplerunnin; 05-15-2008 at 05:47 PM..
 05-15-2008, 05:56 PMaway - #15
SlickR 

  d 
space
$1,036 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Thepeoplerunnin
It would effect it cause what happens if a weirdo wants to marry a goat........


Or if i wanna marry my ipod for instance what makes it okay.........



Or even more realistic what happens if a dude wants to marry 5 [..]stars particularly the ones from brazzers......



If you cater to the gay community who only makes up less than 8 percent of the population in this country if i beielive, what about the weirdos that are 10 and 20%?????


Thats the whole point...


This post is 100% hilarious.

Last edited by SlickR; 05-15-2008 at 05:58 PM..
 05-15-2008, 05:58 PMaway - #16
C Nugget 

  d 
space
$1,524 | 16227041
Originally Posted by Thepeoplerunnin
It would effect it cause what happens if a weirdo wants to marry a goat........


Or if i wanna marry my ipod for instance what makes it okay.........



Or even more realistic what happens if a dude wants to marry 5 [..]stars particularly the ones from brazzers......



If you cater to the gay community who only makes up less than 8 percent of the population in this country if i beielive, what about the weirdos that are 10 and 20%?????


Thats the whole point...
A goat is not a consenting adult. The difference with same-secks relationships and pedophilia or bestiality is that there is a consenting adult. With pedophelia and bestiality, there's no consent (and even if there is a consenting child, a child can't consent to relations w/an adult) which is what makes it wrong.

And there's no catering; it's called equal rights. When you exclude a particular group whose actions harm no one, you're in essence creating a second-class citizenry. The weirdos that make up 10-20%? Like who, criminals? With the exception of stupid drug laws, criminals are criminals because they're actions negatively affect someone else. That's not the case w/same-secks marriage.
 05-15-2008, 05:58 PMaway - #17
SlickR 

  d 
space
$1,036 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by C Nugget
A goat is not a consenting adult. The difference with same-secks relationships and pedophilia or bestiality is that there is a consenting adult. With pedophelia and bestiality, there's no consent (and even if there is a consenting child, a child can't consent to relations w/an adult) which is what makes it wrong.

And there's no catering; it's called equal rights. When you exclude a particular group whose actions harm no one, you're in essence creating a second-class citizenry. The weirdos that make up 10-20%? Like who, criminals? With the exception of stupid drug laws, criminals are criminals because they're actions negatively affect someone else. That's not the case w/same-secks marriage.
I can't believe you seriously responded to that post
 05-15-2008, 06:01 PMaway - #18
OOps 

  d 
space
$7,708 | 17780745
Thats coo, as long as they keep they [!] a$s out my business and keep to themselves then we coo. Im glad C.A did that !!, im sure it made they lives a bit better..........
 05-15-2008, 06:10 PMaway - #19
Thepeoplerunnin 

  d 
space
$4,208 | 0
Originally Posted by C Nugget
A goat is not a consenting adult. The difference with same-secks relationships and pedophilia or bestiality is that there is a consenting adult. With pedophelia and bestiality, there's no consent (and even if there is a consenting child, a child can't consent to relations w/an adult) which is what makes it wrong.

And there's no catering; it's called equal rights. When you exclude a particular group whose actions harm no one, you're in essence creating a second-class citizenry. The weirdos that make up 10-20%? Like who, criminals? With the exception of stupid drug laws, criminals are criminals because they're actions negatively affect someone else. That's not the case w/same-secks marriage.


I see you couldnt answer about marrying the 5 [..]stars from brazzers.......

What happen if all 5 ladies and i would agree after viewing a STD test, and all decided its a go and the judge or priest what have you say this is illegal.....Why couldnt i marry 5 [..]stars and 2 wimps can get married.......



WHERES THE JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!
 05-15-2008, 06:15 PMaway - #20
C Nugget 

  d 
space
$1,524 | 16227041
Originally Posted by Thepeoplerunnin
I see you couldnt answer about marrying the 5 [..]stars from brazzers.......

What happen if all 5 ladies and i would agree after viewing a STD test, and all decided its a go and the judge or priest what have you say this is illegal.....Why couldnt i marry 5 [..]stars and 2 wimps can get married.......



WHERES THE JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!
O, sure didn't. While I might not agree with polygyny, I actually don't see how it's government's business, what you and 5 of those Brazzers !!es agree to. So idk where the justice is, lol.
 
 


Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines
    
         

 



Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
MLB Breaking: Yankees Pitcher Michael Pineda Gets Caught for..
61 comments
NBA One Year Ago Today Carmelo Scored 37 Points... (video)
57 comments
NBA James Harden's Last 3 Series
71 comments
 NFL Full 32 Nfl Team Schedule For 2014-2015
New reply 3 minutes ago - 189 comments - by italiansteve
 NFL Russell Wilson And Wife Divorce
New reply 12 minutes ago - 124 comments - by SeattleWon
 NBA Official Nba On Tnt Playoff Thread
New reply 5 minutes ago - 54 comments - by Walt Thizzney
  If They Rebooted "white Men Can't Jump"
New reply 17 minutes ago - 99 comments - by -ThE~DoN~LoN-
 NBA Lebron James Gets Throat Chopped :dead: (video)
New reply 6 minutes ago - 89 comments - by italiansteve
 Image(s) inside "and The Little Homie Jungle Is A Garden To Me&qu...
New reply 30 minutes ago - 77 comments - by PowerBar Ernie
  Every Dope Rapper Ever Sitting At A Table In Their Pri...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 59 comments - by Laronla
 Video inside Lil Boosie At The Breakfast Club: Rap Game, Fake Love,...
New reply 31 minutes ago - 68 comments - by BreakfastClub

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,711 fans of BX | none new today 4,650 following and 2 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.