This is BX @ Boxden.com

Mar 15 - NYPD declares martial law in Brooklyn

Mar 15 - NYPD declares martial law in Brooklyn
topic by Lot17 - 03-15-2013, 01:42 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

On the heels of three nights of protests over the police slaying of 16 year old Kimani Gray, the NYPD has turned the East Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn into a State of Exception, claiming emergency powers to suspend the constitutional guarantees of the citizenry.

The people regularly targeted by police harassment and violence, overwhelmingly the city’s poor and minority populations, have taken to the streets to speak out against the NYPD’s draconian tactics. The police have in turn responded with even further harsh measures by suppressing the right of the people to voice dissatisfaction with that very same police force.

Cops kettled protesters at Wednesday night’s candlelight vigil, resulting in 46 arrests. Police even arrested Kimani Gray’s distraught sister, Mahnefeh.

The NYPD euphemistically calls the public spaces in which the Constitutional rights of the people are suspended “frozen zones.”

Allison Kilkenny wrote about the NYPD’s so-called “frozen zones” in December 2011:

“The ‘frozen zone’ is an arbitrary, official police business-sounding title that has absolutely zero legal merit. It’s something the NYPD made up, just as the ‘First Amendment zone’ is something [Los Angeles Mayor Antonio] Villaraigosa made up to suppress media coverage of the Occupy raids.”

According to FIERCE, the “frozen zone” in East Flatbush is being used to prevent media from covering the protests and arrests. Meanwhile, people inside the “frozen zone” can be subjected to arrest merely by exercising their constitutional rights.

“It basically means the area is under temporary martial law,” writes FIERCE. “The last times the NYPD declared a Frozen Zone was on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and during the beginning of OWS.”

An arbitrary dictate that arrests protest and free speech, set forth by the institution that is itself the target of the protests, creates a potentially dangerous precedent of placing the NYPD beyond reproach.

Occupy Austin reposted this poignant summary of events by Jen Roesch as they were unfolding in Brooklyn last night:

“East Flatbush, Brooklyn is under martial law as the NYPD declares it a ‘frozen zone’. Media are being monitored and kept from moving and reporting freely. Dozens of arrests and much brutality. Kimani was shot in the back seven times; a witness is sure he was unarmed; multiple reports are coming out that the police had been waging a campaign of harassment against the young man (including taunting him about a friend who had died in a car accident and threatening to shoot him when he tried to leave). This is just blocks from where Shantel Davis was shot, dragged from her car and left to bleed to de@th in the street last summer. After that shooting, police went to all the surrounding delis and confiscated their surveillance videos. Residents in the neighborhood live in a state of terror. Heartbreaking, enraging, the stuff that riots are made of. This city is at a breaking point.”

Kimani Gray’s parents are scheduled to hold a press conference this evening to address the March 9 police slaying of their young son.

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/03/the-nypd-declares-martial-law-in-brooklyn-2593426.html

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

113 comments for "Mar 15 - NYPD declares martial law in Brooklyn"

03-15-2013, 01:45 PMaway - #2
Bruce Leeroy 

d 
space
$14,341 | POWERFUL
 03-15-2013, 03:24 PMaway - #3
ItAlY2BkLyN 220 heat pts220

d 
space
$14,331 | POWERFUL
so what's up my NY fam? Is #### crackin' off or what?
 03-15-2013, 03:27 PMaway - #4
dg177bx 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$7,603 | POWERFUL
what ya gonna do? i wanna see
 03-15-2013, 03:30 PMaway - #5
Sin 469 heat pts469

d 
space
$4,081 | POWERFUL
im ready lets go f!ght

naw im just playin lock your doors and hope for the best
 03-15-2013, 03:41 PMaway - #6
LowKeez 73 heat pts73

d 
space
$2,198 | POWERFUL
#### is going down right now over there..

i was in east flastbush last night.
 03-15-2013, 03:41 PMaway - #7
Kadillac87 194 heat pts194

d 
space
$13,740 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ItAlY2BkLyN
so what's up my NY fam? Is #### crackin' off or what?
Why are you BX? I thought you lived in Brooklyn? The revolution about to start and you still on your computer?
 03-15-2013, 03:43 PMaway - #8
pa_general 82 heat pts82

d 
space
$6,206 | POWERFUL
GREAT! Now lets march when a thug senselessly k!lls a child by a mistake when trying to k!ll someone else of our race!

I don't agree with police injustice by any means and the protests are warranted, but this same amount of outrage should be used to apprehend black k!llers in black neighborhoods.
 03-15-2013, 03:46 PMaway - #9
Sin 469 heat pts469

d 
space
$4,081 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by pa_general
GREAT! Now lets march when a thug senselessly k!lls a child by a mistake when trying to k!ll someone else of our race!

I don't agree with police injustice by any means and the protests are warranted, but this same amount of outrage should be used to apprehend black k!llers in black neighborhoods.
 03-15-2013, 03:48 PMaway - #10
Sin 469 heat pts469

d 
space
$4,081 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Kadillac87
Why are you BX? I thought you lived in Brooklyn? The revolution about to start and you still on your computer?
what revolution there protesting about a kid who pulled a gun on a the cops i don't see the sense in f!ghting for that
 03-15-2013, 03:57 PMaway - #11
Sin 469 heat pts469

d 
space
$4,081 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Matt504
they're protesting because people who were present when the shooting took place say that the young man did NOT have a gun.
they found the physical gun laying next to him there's no argument
 03-15-2013, 04:18 PMaway - #12
ItAlY2BkLyN 220 heat pts220

d 
space
$14,331 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Kadillac87
Stop worryin' about what I be doin'

My family moved from BK long ago. Why you think I'm always talking about CO?

I still got family out on LI though. That's why I'm concerned.
 03-15-2013, 04:21 PMaway - #13
TheUzualSuSpect 4 heat pts

d 
space
$1,007 | 5547159
Originally Posted by sincerethought
they found the physical gun laying next to him there's no argument
Witnesses said he didn't have one and nypd known to be possibly the most corrupt police in america also how the fvck can u justify (my bad I got bad memory wut was it 7?) Bullets to the back wen the kid was trying to run away...police not supposed to shoot unless they're in immediate danger which clearly wasn't the case....one shot to the leg cuda been justifiable #### a$s pigs were obviously tryna k!ll the kid
 03-15-2013, 04:55 PMonline - #14
LordBlanco|M 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$22,523 | POWERFUL
NYPD got that itchy finger cause most of em are ####ing pussies with a stick up their a$s.

REally thinking every civilian has a gun and is stupid enough to shoot at a cop. "KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKETS SIR" Like oh yeah man, you know me... bout to pull out this 22 and get it poppin. ####ing idiots.

I only met a handful of jake that actually had some logic and reasoning to them.

But there's alot of cops that are just horrible excuses of life. Disrespectful, Power driven, Racist, Scumbags.
 03-15-2013, 05:01 PMonline - #15
wru425 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$8,409 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TheUzualSuSpect
Witnesses said he didn't have one and nypd known to be possibly the most corrupt police in america also how the fvck can u justify (my bad I got bad memory wut was it 7?) Bullets to the back wen the kid was trying to run away...police not supposed to shoot unless they're in immediate danger which clearly wasn't the case....one shot to the leg cuda been justifiable #### a$s pigs were obviously tryna k!ll the kid
Ummm a few questions...is this so called witness from the same neighborhood that the victim and people are rioting from? Bc if so it would make sense for her to side against the police bc she gotta live with ppl that hate the police everyday....

Oh and police shoot to k!ll fk a leg wound...you don't wanna die don't pull a gun(assuming he had one)...
 03-15-2013, 05:02 PMaway - #16
Spiffy 34 heat pts34

d 
space
$20,021 | POWERFUL
wasnt this the kid who aimed his gun at the cops and they shot him?

edit: never mind, one of those "sprinkle some crack on him johnson" cases, #### the pigs
 03-15-2013, 05:35 PMaway - #17
evici1 2299 heat pts2299

d 
space
$14,617 | POWERFUL
 03-15-2013, 05:49 PMaway - #18
TheUzualSuSpect 4 heat pts

d 
space
$1,007 | 5547159
Originally Posted by wru425
Ummm a few questions...is this so called witness from the same neighborhood that the victim and people are rioting from? Bc if so it would make sense for her to side against the police bc she gotta live with ppl that hate the police everyday....

Oh and police shoot to k!ll fk a leg wound...you don't wanna die don't pull a gun(assuming he had one)...
i wud a$sume that the witnessES are
why wud it make sense for them to side against the police? they just there to give there account of the story
and na fvck that kid was running for his life u dont think 7 shots is od?? one is more than enough to k!ll sumone nypd was just on that bs
and the whole reason this is a big deal is b/c ppl saying he did NOT have a gun
 03-15-2013, 05:55 PMaway - #19
Sean McDevitt 3 heat pts

d 
space
$6,628 | 14701323
are they going to bend over . or f!ght for their right
 03-15-2013, 05:57 PMaway - #20
Minister 105 heat pts105

d 
space
$19,736 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Sean McDevitt
are they going to bend over . or f!ght for their right

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Jul 22 - World’s Second-Richest Man Calls For Three-D..
57 comments
Article inside  Philip Seymour Hoffman didn't want to leave any mone..
53 comments
Image inside  Ridley Scott's Exodus: Gods and Kings, Has the Most B..
158 comments
 Image(s) inside *warning* People With Ocd - Do Not Enter!
New reply 5 seconds ago - 131 comments - by Die-Nasty
 MLB Yankees Acquire Chase Headley
New reply 8 minutes ago - 58 comments - by VNPP
 NFL Jaws Top 30 Qb List
New reply 3 minutes ago - 226 comments - by tre0624
 NFL Keith Olbermann Destroys Tony Dungy Over Michael Sam C...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 53 comments - by italiansteve
 NBA Roy Hibbert "i Will Be The Best Center In The Lea...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 63 comments - by italiansteve
 Video inside Schmurda Say Ny Started Bangin Cuz Of Chiraq
New reply 15 minutes ago - 165 comments - by NoLastName
 Image(s) inside Solve This Math Problem.....the Sequel
New reply 5 minutes ago - 57 comments - by MGz
 NBA Kobe Bryant Brings Atl Crowd Into A Frenzy
New reply 34 minutes ago - 60 comments - by Blessed

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,756 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.