This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jun 21 - African American Unemployment at 16 Percent

Jun 21 - African American Unemployment at 16 Percent
topic by Frank Hampton - 06-21-2011, 03:13 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

(CBS News)
The economy and jobs will be big issues in Washington again this coming week.

While unemployment among the general population is about 9.1 percent, it's at 16.2 percent African Americans, and a bit higher still for African American males.

CBS News correspondent Michelle Miller reports that, historically, the unemployment rate for African Americans has always been higher than the national average. However, now it's at Depression-era levels. The most recent figures show African American joblessness at 16.2 percent. For black males, it's at 17.5 percent; And for black teens, it's nearly 41 percent.

For some, it's crunch time at STRIVE, a job training program in East Harlem, where instructors use drill sergeant-like techniques. They teach job-seekers to correct their mistakes by fining them a quarter each time they make them.

For young men of color, especially black males in New York City, things are especially bad. According to the think tank, the Community Service Society, 34 percent of New York's young black men age 19 to 24 are not working.

"If you haven't connected with the world of work by the age of 25, it's a permanent problem for the rest of your career," says David Johns with the Community Service Society.

Christopher Scott, 20 and a high school drop-out, got a GED last year, but he hasn't been able to find a job ever since.

"It makes me feel degraded in a way cause at 20, I should be more independent," Scott says.

For those with less than a college education, finding a job alone isn't the answer. Even if they secure employment, it's often below minimum wage, and in places like New York City, it's barely enough to survive.

Jermaine Christian, currently working as a restaurant busboy, graduated from one of the top high schools in the city in 2010. He can't afford college, so after searching for a year now, he works for $5.50 per hour.

"I became more or less desperate and took anything I could find," Christian says.

Job counselors say part of the problem is that high schools aren't teaching marketable skills.

"Unless you have a skill coming out of high school, in this society, in this economy, you will not be able to find a job," Johns says.

Even so, in this climate, where jobs are scarce, even having a real skill is still no guarantee of a job.

African-American unemployment at 16 percent

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

188 comments for "Jun 21 - African American Unemployment at 16 Percent"

06-21-2011, 03:24 PMaway - #2
a3levest 

d 
space
$908 | 3485151
Surprise
 06-21-2011, 03:26 PMaway - #3
Gateway972 42 heat pts42

d 
space
$2,476 | POWERFUL
IF this was a fox news article it would say the 16 percent of black people dont want to work... then they would have thrown in something about welfare.

Also since i dont want my comment lost i will put it here.

First if 16 percent of black people are unemployed NOT ALL OF THEM CAN BE LAZY, it has to be something wrong with the society they are in if 16% of children were born with one arm the government would damn sure be looking at the root cause of the issue, but 16% of black are on unemployed, we make articles and debate about the issue but in the end nothin id done. 16% is 57% higher then the Us unemployment rate

Black people aint perfect but we are also not as lazys people think.... edit. The media portays us

Society is corrupted

Last edited by Gateway972; 06-23-2011 at 02:14 PM..
 06-21-2011, 03:40 PMaway - #4
bi0 2 heat pts

d 
space
$4,160 | 11685198
Problem is they just blk are just getting Discriminated against..... prejudice employers only hiring one race...
 06-21-2011, 03:58 PMaway - #5
TheCityOnMyMind 83 heat pts83

d 
space
$5,790 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by bi0
Problem is they just blk are just getting Discriminated against..... prejudice employers only hiring one race...
Arab?
 06-21-2011, 04:09 PMonline - #6
Hit Em' Up 52 heat pts52

d 
space
$4,295 | POWERFUL
I would love to brush this off as racist employers but ive met too many dum niccas in my time
 06-21-2011, 04:10 PMaway - #7
KURUPTION!!! 467 heat pts467

d 
space
$32,312 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Gateway972
IF this was a fox news article it would say the 16 percent of black people dont want to work... then they would have thrown in something about welfare.
That's the Republican way
 06-21-2011, 04:24 PMaway - #8
DERRTY CHYBO 6 heat pts

d 
space
$9,339 | POWERFUL
sad but not surprising. I'm 20 and no one I know can find work.
 06-21-2011, 04:30 PMonline - #9
HeruDat 67 heat pts67

d 
space
$21,281 | POWERFUL
"blacks" weren't made to be equal in this system. produce.
 06-21-2011, 04:38 PMaway - #10
Tabasco 

d 
space
$380 | 678395
Originally Posted by Blood Edge
yup

we've gotta create our own jobs and businesses

it's sad they most African Americans have adopted Eurocentric individualism....they need to be on their modern immigrant swag stacking money up together
 06-21-2011, 04:48 PMaway - #11
IronMaiden 30 heat pts30

d 
space
$12,119 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by bi0
biggest load of !!ing !! i have ever heard

i worked at a government center for 2 years where people came to apply for food stamps etc. and guess what? 99% of the people who came in were black and were completely capable of working, somehow they could afford $200-300 shoes, $100 shirts and expensive cards but not food? same with SSI.

a lot of them choose to cheat and leech from the government instead of working, same goes with illegal mexicans and white people but the majority is black people, this is 2011, black people work everywhere don't give me that bull!! because you can't find a high paying job that you really love, it's life.. most of us work !!ty jobs because thats life.

how do you think all these illegal mexicans are getting all these jobs? because they arent lazy a$s mother !!ers
 06-21-2011, 04:54 PMaway - #12
primetime 60 heat pts60

d 
space
$20,217 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by IronMaiden

i worked at a government center for 2 years where people came to apply for food stamps etc. and guess what? 99% of the people who came in were black and were completely capable of working, somehow they could afford $200-300 shoes, $100 shirts and expensive cards but not food? same with SSI.

a lot of them choose to cheat and leech from the government instead of working, same goes with illegal mexicans and white people but the majority is black people, this is 2011, black people work everywhere don't give me that bull!! because you can't find a high paying job that you really love, it's life.. most of us work !!ty jobs because thats life.

how do you think all these illegal mexicans are getting all these jobs? because they arent lazy a$s mother !!ers
Real talk
 06-21-2011, 04:57 PMaway - #13
primetime 60 heat pts60

d 
space
$20,217 | POWERFUL
Wonder why that is :hmm: it can't be racism :rolleyes:
 06-21-2011, 04:59 PMaway - #14
Illuminated 

d 
space
$2,063 | 0

Great job! Ethered these self-pitying, race-card playing clowns before I had a chance to.
 06-21-2011, 05:01 PMaway - #15
Luisc137 

d 
space
$570 | 1223626

they not tryin to hear that around here... it's all about living some bull!! thuglife and complaining about the struggles a certain few bring upon themselves. the sense of entitlement allows that small percentage to believe that they are entitled to a low stress, high paying job without putting in the time and work.

don't get me wrong, this doesn't apply to the whole 16% but i would guess 10% of them were the same ones who dropped out of highschool because not having the latest pair of jordans meant they had a rough childhood.
 06-21-2011, 05:02 PMaway - #16
primetime 60 heat pts60

d 
space
$20,217 | POWERFUL
because you can pay them a !!ty wage a day off the books.....the construction company expanding my condo only pays the workers $10 a day...these dudes are taking out walls, fixing aging pipes, and taking NO breaks.....they only reason the immigrants are taking these jobs is because the environment they used to live in was even worse

and most people on welfare are white so that argument is void as well

I'm not saying every employer is discriminating....but it's documented that many white employers would rather hire white employees

don't forget what country you live in....racism is alive and well because the majority doesn't want to deal with the problem and act like it doesn't exist
What are the percentages of blacks n whites on welfare....
 06-21-2011, 05:07 PMaway - #17
Luisc137 

d 
space
$570 | 1223626
Originally Posted by primetime
What are the percentages of blacks n whites on welfare....
who cares... black, white, yellow it don't matter. my girl and i just relocated and within a week she found a decent paying management job with no college degree. if you're unemployed it's cause you're !!in lazy.
 06-21-2011, 05:14 PMaway - #18
Luisc137 

d 
space
$570 | 1223626
this is for your question and subsequent posts about races and welfare...came from an old thread that got a dude banned

where u relocate to and what job did you get? retail sector?
i didnt get a job.... we relocated cause of my job. she's the one that found one in a week.
 06-21-2011, 05:14 PMaway - #19
primetime 60 heat pts60

d 
space
$20,217 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Luisc137
who cares... black, white, yellow it don't matter. my girl and i just relocated and within a week she found a decent paying management job with no college degree. if you're unemployed it's cause you're !!in lazy.
I don't I was just pointing out to the dude who said there are more whites.... But that's cuz White population is 100 times bigger so looking at percentages is more accurate n smarter. But I do agree wit ur statement 100 percent... It's ok to be on welfare to get u started but if someone is constantly on that shot they're a lazy piece of !! with no desire to improve their life... Too many people abuse the system n I do blame the system as well smh
 06-21-2011, 05:18 PMaway - #20
TB 50 heat pts50

d 
space
$12,583 | POWERFUL
*waits for this thread to go 457956763487 about black vs white and welfare.......................fast forward to indians, mexicans---oh wait, they already made it in the argument.........then ____insert random race here___..........etc etc*

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
MLB Breaking: Yankees Pitcher Michael Pineda Gets Caught for..
59 comments
NBA One Year Ago Today Carmelo Scored 37 Points... (video)
56 comments
NBA James Harden's Last 3 Series
69 comments
 Image(s) inside "and The Little Homie Jungle Is A Garden To Me&qu...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 52 comments - by PowerBar Ernie
 NFL Russell Wilson And Wife Divorce
New reply 10 minutes ago - 113 comments - by SeattleWon
 Video inside While Ur Favorite Rapper Gets Raped 4 A 360 Deal, M.re...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 62 comments - by brooklyngohard
 Video inside Lil Boosie At The Breakfast Club: Rap Game, Fake Love,...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 61 comments - by BreakfastClub
 Image(s) inside Advice Women Took While Dating In The 1930s
New reply 5 minutes ago - 53 comments - by german1906
 Image(s) inside Thick Vietnamese Chick Named Kandy...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 96 comments - by 5_star_smitty
 Image(s) inside Actual Iggy Azalea
New reply 8 minutes ago - 133 comments - by HeruDat
 NBA Lebron James Gets Throat Chopped :dead: (video)
New reply 11 minutes ago - 88 comments - by italiansteve

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,711 fans of BX | none new today 4,650 following and 2 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.