This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jul 8 - Texas Schools drop Common Science Standards

Jul 8 - Texas Schools drop Common Science Standards
topic by Trolling - 07-08-2012, 12:51 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

New nationally developed common science standards may be on the horizon, but it is not likely that they will make their way into Texas classrooms soon.

Make that a “zero percent chance,” said Barbara Cargill, the Republican chairwoman of Texas’ State Board of Education.

The Next Generation Science Standards — produced by the National Research Council, the National Science Teachers a$sociation and the American a$sociation for the Advancement of Science — are intended to chart a common science curriculum for students in kindergarten through high school in every state. The standards are expected to be complete early next year.

But in Texas, where the curriculum-setting State Board of Education has had high-profile skirmishes over science education, there will be no rush to put them in effect.

“I don’t see it happening, with the fact that we just adopted science standards, and we’ve been averse to adopting anything else coming from a national origin,” said Thomas Ratliff, a Republican who represents northeast Texas on the 15-member board.

Texas officials like Gov. Rick Perry and Robert Scott, the former education commissioner, have balked at common core state standards in areas like reading and math because they have said that they represent an unwarranted federal intrusion into the classroom. Those standards have been adopted by 45 states. The Next Generation curriculum covers potential political minefields like climate change and evolution, which the common core curriculum did not.

But there is another reason it is unlikely that the state that educates almost one-tenth of American public school students will be following the national lead on science education.

Texas typically updates its curriculum every 8 to 10 years. The State Board of Education tackled science standards in 2009, when the state became ground zero in the battle over how evolution should be taught. The result was a state curriculum that required students to learn the strengths and weakness of scientific theories like evolution. Though those standards have been in the classroom since the 2010-11 school year, the state is just in the initial stages of acquiring updated textbooks.

Ms. Cargill, of The Woodlands, said the 2009 standards had been well received by students and teachers, and there was no reason to change course.

Twenty-six states are directly participating in the development of the new standards, and Texas is not one of them. But four Texas educators are on the 41-member writing team — among them Ramon Lopez, a physics professor at the University of Texas at Arlington.

“It’s giving states the power to adopt this material, and if they choose not to use it, they can use it to inform what they are doing,” Mr. Lopez said.

But the reluctance of Texas education leaders to embrace nationally developed science curriculums shows the logistical challenges involved in pushing for widespread adoption. And despite the supporters’ insistence that the standards have been created “by states, for states,” there are already stirrings of the anti-federal-government backlash that greeted the common core standards.

Legislators in South Carolina — a state that agreed to adopt common core curriculums in language arts and math — have included language in this year’s budget prohibiting the use of taxpayer funds to put “quasi-national” science standards in effect.

Ms. Cargill said that when the time came to revise the science curriculum, the board would look at the Next Generation standards. But she said the standards would most likely serve as a reference guide, not a rule book.

“We write our own standards here in Texas,” she said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/us...soon.html?_r=1

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

14 comments for "Jul 8 - Texas Schools drop Common Science Standards"

07-08-2012, 12:59 PMaway - #2
Illuminated 

d 
space
$2,063 | 0
I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the south followed suit. I'm not gonna say WHY I believe they're doing that because people will get too emotional and this thread will turn into a million pages.

But it stuff like this that keeps American students behind other countries in education. Right now, India and Asian countries along with many others are kicking America's a$s in science and math. In fact, we've fallen to number 25. And they wonder why American companies are outsourcing to other countries for technological innovation.
 07-08-2012, 03:21 PMaway - #3
KidKingGoD 1 heat pts

d 
space
$6,399 | 16098399
Originally Posted by Illuminated
I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the south followed suit. I'm not gonna say WHY I believe they're doing that because people will get too emotional and this thread will turn into a million pages.

But it stuff like this that keeps American students behind other countries in education. Right now, India and Asian countries along with many others are kicking America's a$s in science and math. In fact, we've fallen to number 25. And they wonder why American companies are outsourcing to other countries for technological innovation.
Well thanks for not telling us why america is doing this. You are really helpful to the problem.
 07-08-2012, 05:33 PMaway - #4
the player 9 heat pts

d 
space
$13,684 | POWERFUL

JESUS ####es
 07-08-2012, 08:12 PMaway - #5
drochild 6 heat pts

d 
space
$1,818 | 5528450

Let it out bx broha

07-08-2012, 08:16 PMaway - #6
ghettofire 3 heat pts

d 
space
$22,969 | POWERFUL
america! #### yeah!
 07-08-2012, 09:24 PMaway - #7
CosbySweater 170 heat pts170

d 
space
$20,988 | POWERFUL
So i guess people still think the Earth is 10,000 years old
 07-09-2012, 02:37 AMaway - #8
Twelve 

d 
space
$1,750 | 9929888
I wonder how they feel being constantly behind in everything. The biggest problem America has is it's reluctance to change. Their personal ideals and beliefs go into education more than facts in some parts of the south. A lot of the parents involved with what's going on are more ####in opinionated than educated. Just because you don't believe or agree with something doesn't mean you can't make yourself and your children more knowledgeable on the subject. At least then they can legitimately argue with facts on why they don't like something. School in general gets pushed to the back burner when it comes to what's important. Then they say #### like "Why are test scores so low? "
 07-09-2012, 05:47 AMaway - #9
Illuminated 

d 
space
$2,063 | 0
Originally Posted by the player
JESUS ####es
Originally Posted by CosbySweater
So i guess people still think the Earth is 10,000 years old
Originally Posted by KidKingGoD
Well thanks for not telling us why america is doing this. You are really helpful to the problem.
The first two guys I quoted gave you a hint.

But to answer your question: I wouldn't say it's the whole America, just the south a.k.a the bible belt. For some time, there's already been a strong push by leaders in southern communities to remove science from school curriculum and replace it with "intelligent design" which is a fancy name for creationism. In other words, they want to replace science classes with religion.
 07-09-2012, 06:48 AMaway - #10
Gatorfan2611 8 heat pts

d 
space
$3,152 | 16090162
The first two guys I quoted gave you a hint.

But to answer your question: I wouldn't say it's the whole America, just the south a.k.a the bible belt. For some time, there's already been a strong push by leaders in southern communities to remove science from school curriculum and replace it with "intelligent design" which is a fancy name for creationism. In other words, they want to replace science classes with religion.
reminds me of the story i read about a school in louisiana teaching that the loch ness monster is a living dinosaur to disprove evolution
 07-09-2012, 06:59 AMaway - #11
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21

d 
space
$15,723 | POWERFUL
We shoulda just let these ni##as secede..
 07-09-2012, 07:28 AMaway - #12
Illuminated 

d 
space
$2,063 | 0
Originally Posted by Gatorfan2611
reminds me of the story i read about a school in louisiana teaching that the loch ness monster is a living dinosaur to disprove evolution
I haven't heard about that one but is sounds plausible. And to think.....I'm from Louisiana.
 07-09-2012, 07:33 AMaway - #13
TB 53 heat pts53

d 
space
$13,063 | POWERFUL
fukking bible thumpers stay on that sucka shyt
 07-09-2012, 10:43 AMaway - #14
ItAlY2BkLyN 220 heat pts220

d 
space
$14,371 | POWERFUL
I can see why they don't want to change if they're still trying to implement new textbooks. That #### is super expensive.

I wonder how Texas ranks on a scale of all 50 states for science, math and reading? Anyone know?

It is harder in the US than foreign countries because we are such a mixture of beliefs and customs. It's not like in India where everyone is Indian and they have one formalized system. America will always face that difficulty simply because of the melting pot this country was constructed to be.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  BATMAN V SUPERMAN Comic-Con Trailer
101 comments
Video inside  Rainbow Six: Siege MP Gameplay Video
57 comments
Image inside  So who's copping Destiny?
84 comments
 Video inside Dj Star Gets Chased Off The Block... Nigga Looked So S...
New reply 1 minute ago - 74 comments - by g0tt1
  Fab Tucced His Chain In Detroit Fuccin Wit Vezzo And T...
New reply 31 minutes ago - 113 comments - by SavageMitten
 Image(s) inside [chiwire] Durk Fu-kin W/ The Opps, Fredo Not With The ...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 190 comments - by Squadd
 NBA Rumor Heat Twitter Account Lost 300k Followers Since B...
New reply 42 minutes ago - 59 comments - by Motion
 NBA Kobe Bryant Gets White Girls Juices Flowing (nicole Ri...
New reply 3 minutes ago - 52 comments - by lilbeast
 Image(s) inside Batman Vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice Footage And Wonder...
New reply 44 minutes ago - 154 comments - by Doc Logical
 NFL Johnny Manziel "i Dont Think Theres Anything Wron...
New reply 30 minutes ago - 57 comments - by italiansteve
  Inside The Crumbling Marriage Of Jay Z And Beyoncé
New reply 52 minutes ago - 68 comments - by phantomnation

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,757 fans of BX | none new today 4,750 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.