This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jul 7 - 'White History Month' Float Stirs Controversy At July 4th Parade

Jul 7 - 'White History Month' Float Stirs Controversy At July 4th Parade
topic by Ham Rove - 07-07-2013, 01:02 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

A small North Carolina town's Fourth of July parade was mired in controversy after a float touting "White History Month" drew a number of complaints from parade attendees.

The Fayetteville Observer reported Saturday that Hope Mills, N.C. parade included a float attached to a John Deere tractor, driven by local farmer Donnie Spell. The float included a large wagon filled with watermelons, and featured a sign that read "White History Month. Hug WTE PPL." A Confederate flag was also attached to the tractor.

"This should be over, all that stuff should be over," Hope Mills resident Suzanne Singletary told ABC11. "I don't understand why people are still living like this."

ABC11 reports that Spell applied for and received a permit to participate in the parade. However, according to town officials, Spell said the sign on his wagon would read "Watermelons for sale."

Hope Mills Mayor Jackie Warner told the Fayetteville Observer she had received a number of complaints about the float, and that the parade's board would review the float application process to prevent similar incidents in the future.

"I believe we've got to make sure we're sensitive to all people's feelings," she said
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...usaolp00000009

Latest News Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

54 comments for "Jul 7 - 'White History Month' Float Stirs Controversy At July 4th Parade"

07-07-2013, 01:07 PMaway - #2
ManWithoutFear! 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
My neighbor owns a store in Hope Mills
I'ma holla at her like "happy white history month!"
 07-07-2013, 02:18 PMaway - #3
Lucky Lucas 31 heat pts31

d 
space
$7,245 | POWERFUL
if you black and you live in the south, you losing. simple as that, got no reason to live around those ppl at this point.
 07-07-2013, 02:33 PMaway - #4
Throbbin' Thicke 69 heat pts69

d 
space
$9,364 | POWERFUL
Who cares? They on that struggle float anyway. They lost
 07-07-2013, 02:39 PMaway - #5

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Lucky Lucas
if you black and you live in the south, you losing. simple as that, got no reason to live around those ppl at this point.

Be damned I let white folk keep me from living

Not having your OWN #### is "losing"
 07-07-2013, 02:40 PMaway - #6
TB 53 heat pts53

d 
space
$13,036 | POWERFUL
that sounds about right for hope mills, hell all of nc like that, i don't know why folks act like they don't recognize the ####ery
 07-07-2013, 02:52 PMonline - #7
Based_One 62 heat pts62

d 
space
$6,910 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Avitos Way
Who cares? They on that struggle float anyway. They lost
Talking #### like the people with money give a #### about his redneck a$s.
 07-07-2013, 03:31 PMaway - #8
tallulahmademe 5 heat pts

d 
space
$3,883 | 13415206
*First of all i really dont care, but i feel as if they technically already have 11 damn months.
*Secondly, their history is filled with so much controversy idk what they will actually have to celebrate
*Finally, Black History month is a time period in which Black people can say against all odds, we overcame so much and "these leaders/people MLK etc..." helped us to obtain freedom.

SN: White people NEVER struggled or had to overcome ANYTHING as a group,culture, or race. EVERYTHING they have accomplished has been at the expense of others so personally i have no idea what they would like to celebrate. Would somebody like to inform me??? They say we learn something new everyday and this will be a excellent learning experience for me.
 07-07-2013, 03:33 PMaway - #9
ThursdayNit3 2 heat pts

d 
space
$1,616 | 9116211
Just going to end this thread quick.

Even though no official month for white people.
But ***** history month is okay.
 07-07-2013, 03:37 PMaway - #10

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ThursdayNit3

Huh?
 07-07-2013, 03:37 PMaway - #11
Socialconscious 

d 
space
$324 | 2841683
Originally Posted by tallulahmademe
*First of all i really dont care, but i feel as if they technically already have 11 damn months.
*Secondly, their history is filled with so much controversy idk what they will actually have to celebrate
*Finally, Black History month is a time period in which Black people can say against all odds, we overcame so much and "these leaders/people MLK etc..." helped us to obtain freedom.

SN: White people NEVER struggled or had to overcome ANYTHING as a group,culture, or race. EVERYTHING they have accomplished has been at the expense of others so personally i have no idea what they would like to celebrate. Would somebody like to inform me??? They say we learn something new everyday and this will be a excellent learning experience for me.
Give them month but without the editing and watch how fast they will want to stop it.
 07-07-2013, 04:00 PMaway - #12

d 
space
$3,883 | 13415206
Originally Posted by Socialconscious
Give them month but without the editing and watch how fast they will want to stop it.
Well its impossible for that to happen because we have EDUCATED BLACK AND HISPANIC PEOPLE now so if they did try to present an edited presentation, there would be so many people to shoot down their claims and present actual facts. I dont believe that they have learned that black people can read and write now. Not all of us receive government handouts or live in the hood. Still curious to know the various aspects in which they plan to celebrate tho. Somebody let me know please.
 07-07-2013, 04:03 PMaway - #13
Bravo Golf 2 heat pts

d 
space
$742 | 6679319
Originally Posted by ThursdayNit3

The only reason that Black History Month, Women's History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, etc. exist in the first place is because those groups' contributions were consistently excluded from the text books and history classes. Also, white history is infused in every part of American society. Visit Washington, D.C. Hell, pull out your wallet and look whose face is on the currency. Turn on your TV.

I took some classes post-bachelors to try to earn my teaching certification. I wanted to become certified in social studies. The school required that I take both U.S. and European History. Why wasn't I required to take African history or another group? Because this society doesn't care about the history of non-European people; therefore, they don't feel that knowledge is necessary for me to be a history teacher in a public school, but European history is necessary, though...
 07-07-2013, 05:30 PMaway - #14
Socialconscious 

d 
space
$324 | 2841683
Well its impossible for that to happen because we have EDUCATED BLACK AND HISPANIC PEOPLE now so if they did try to present an edited presentation, there would be so many people to shoot down their claims and present actual facts. I dont believe that they have learned that black people can read and write now. Not all of us receive government handouts or live in the hood. Still curious to know the various aspects in which they plan to celebrate tho. Somebody let me know please.
It's not really about/for us though. It's more for them. They white-washed PoC history. That is why white people swear all knowledge begun with them. They also think they invented any and everything when in truth those ideas were either stolen from PoC or not taught that a PoC invented it. But oh I know, white people always have no issues believing word of white mouth stereotypes, racism, and statistics but don't let some PoC present them with some facts. They want sources out the a$s. They would be surprised to see who really receives the most government handouts.
 07-07-2013, 06:56 PMaway - #15
Cya Nerd 160 heat pts160

d 
space
$14,404 | POWERFUL
The ignorance in this thread
 07-07-2013, 08:05 PMaway - #16

d 
space
$3,883 | 13415206
Originally Posted by Cya Nerd
The ignorance in this thread
Well explain then, lone white man
 07-07-2013, 09:40 PMaway - #17
Black Samurai 75 heat pts75

d 
space
$2,238 | POWERFUL
Well explain then, lone white man
just ignore him. he's a racist troll like that other poster Rain. They both just say racist #### to start conflict. I'd tell you to look at his post history but Ronnie made that difficult with all these changes.
 07-08-2013, 08:37 AMaway - #18
Damagegadget 389 heat pts389

d 
space
$24,652 | POWERFUL
yea most people don't understand..."white" history is being taught year round, so until history teaching is changed...there is a need for "black" history...otherwise it would be non-existent all together
 07-08-2013, 09:07 AMaway - #19
cjd1994 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$2,770 | 18198999
boxden got the most racist black population of all time..

"yall owe me because im black, you entitled cracka" attitudes..
 07-08-2013, 09:52 AMaway - #20

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by cjd1994
boxden got the most racist black population of all time..

"yall owe me because im black, you entitled cracka" attitudes..
Where at in THIS thread did you see ANY one say what you just said?

This what you registered for huh? lol

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Images of Ben Afleck's Costume In Full Color from Bat..
62 comments
Image inside  Which games are gonna flop in October n November? Too..
55 comments
Video inside  "NBA Street Vol. 2" Repped for the Old School.
67 comments
 NBA Dan Lebatard Mini Rant ( Lebron )
New reply 29 seconds ago - 142 comments - by El Heat Index
 Image(s) inside Jul 23 - Meet The 19-year-old Chicago Teen Who May Cur...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 103 comments - by Sin
 NFL Russell Wilson And Tom Brady Has The Same Rating On Ma...
New reply 41 seconds ago - 92 comments - by Kingpin 313
 NFL Robert Griffin Iii Gives Himself New Nickname
New reply 6 minutes ago - 181 comments - by italiansteve
 Image(s) inside Joe Budden And Ransom Reunite After 7 Years
New reply 2 minutes ago - 133 comments - by Hieroglyphic
 F/L My Journey....so Far
New reply 8 minutes ago - 169 comments - by King Jackson
 Image(s) inside Bx You Smashing Or Not???
New reply 3 minutes ago - 165 comments - by tokinjohn
 Image(s) inside Minister Louis Farrakhan Unveils Essay Praising Jay El...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 60 comments - by Avon_Barksdale

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,756 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.