b o x d e n hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now hot topics today top last 48 hours all sections videos pics tracks headlines  

Jul 5 - AT&T joins Verizon, Facebook in selling customer data

People Viewing This Topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

join bx

share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook
 Jul 5 - AT&T joins Verizon, Facebook in selling customer data
topic by evici1 - 07-06-2013, 12:27 AM

> Jul 5 - AT&T joins Verizon, Facebook in selling customer data - Photo posted in BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines | Sign in and leave a comment below!

AT&T has announced that it will begin selling customers’ smart phone data to the highest bidder, putting the telecommunications giant in line with Verizon, Facebook and other competitors that quietly use a consumer's history for marketing purposes.

The company claims its new privacy policy, to be updated within “the next few weeks,” exists to “deliver more relevant advertising” to users based on which apps they use and their location, which is provided by GPS-tracking. Apparently recognizing the natural privacy concerns a customer might have, AT&T a$sured the public that all data would be aggregated and made anonymous to prevent individual identification.

A letter to customers, for instance, described how someone identified as a movie fan will be sent personalized ads for a nearby cinema.

“People who live in a particular geographic area might appear to be very interested in movies, thanks to collective information that shows wireless devices from that area are often located in the vicinity of movie theaters,” the letter states. “We might create a 'movie' characteristic for that area, and deliver movie ads to the people who live there.”

A June 28 blog post from AT&T’s chief privacy officer Bob Quinn said the new policy will focus on “Providing You Service and Improving Our Network and Services,” but the online reaction has been overwhelmingly negative, with many customers looking for a way to avoid the new conditions.

“You require that we allow you to store a persistent cookie of your choosing in our web browsers to opt out,” one person wrote. “No mention of how other HTTP clients, such as email clients, can opt out. If you really did care about your customers, you would provide a way for us to opt out all traffic to/from our connection and mobile devices in one easy setting.”

One problem for any customer hoping for a new service is the lack of options, smartphone or otherwise. Facebook, Google, Twitter and Verizon each store consumer data for purposes that have not yet been made clear. And because of the profit potential that exists when a customer blindly trusts a company with their data, small Internet start-ups, including AirSage and many others, have developed a way to streamline information into dollars.

The nefarious aspect of AT&T’s announcement is underscored by the recent headlines around the National Security Agency, which has spent years has compelling wireless corporations to hand over data collected on millions of Americans. Unfortunately for the privacy of those concerned, AT&T’s new policy may only be a sign of things to come.

“Instead of merely offering customers a trusted conduit for communication, carriers are coming to see subscribers as sources of data that can be mined for profit, a practice more common among providers of free online services like Google and Facebook,” the Wall Street Journal wrote about the matter in May.

AT&T joins Verizon, Facebook in selling customer data — RT USA

18 comments for "Jul 5 - AT&T joins Verizon, Facebook in selling customer data"

07-06-2013, 09:01 PMaway - #2
Screwhead|m 173 heat pts173

d 
space
$14,786 | POWERFUL
 07-06-2013, 09:03 PMaway - #3
TB 56 heat pts56

d 
space
$13,269 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Screwhead
x infinity
 07-06-2013, 11:28 PMaway - #4
hush956 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$2,808 | POWERFUL
Good think i just switched to Solavei where i only pay $49 for unlimited everything. at&t was robbing me.
 07-07-2013, 08:04 AMaway - #5
MochaWhitey 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$5,252 | POWERFUL
Just opted out, I'm good
 07-07-2013, 08:45 AMaway - #6
Magnificent Phoenix|m 9 heat pts

d 
space
$6,443 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by MochaWhitey
Just opted out, I'm good
How do I opt out?
 07-07-2013, 09:46 AMaway - #7
Shadychicano 

d 
space
$678 | 594652
Originally Posted by Magnificent Phoenix
How do I opt out?
how do i opt out
 07-07-2013, 09:49 AMaway - #8
CallmeJR 

d 
space
$1,740 | 7457265
Originally Posted by hush956
Good think i just switched to Solavei where i only pay $49 for unlimited everything. at&t was robbing me.
 07-07-2013, 12:35 PMaway - #9
CadillacVyse 391 heat pts391

d 
space
$15,857 | POWERFUL
Capitalism!
 07-07-2013, 12:37 PMaway - #10
StuNNa 127 heat pts127

d 
space
$37,171 | POWERFUL
show me a screen shot of your internet speeds
 07-07-2013, 02:21 PMaway - #11
Daddy Black 2 heat pts

d 
space
$5,622 | 13748539
 07-07-2013, 02:38 PMaway - #12
hush956 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$2,808 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by StuNNa
show me a screen shot of your internet speeds
I dont have a smartphone stunna. I have the HTC Freestlyle. But there are many speed tests on youtube for solavei look it up. See if it works out for you. I was paying $90 at at&t for this non smartphone to save money and it was still too much. If you like it pm me and ill send you a free sim card in the mail cause solavei charges $9 for it. When you sign up you also get a debit card in the mail where they pay you monthly for referring people.
 07-07-2013, 02:44 PMaway - #13
hush956 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$2,808 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Magnificent Phoenix
How do I opt out?
AT&T offers an opt-out. You can manage your privacy preferences at
 07-07-2013, 03:41 PMaway - #14
messy marv stan 1738 heat pts1738

d 
space
$14,474 | POWERFUL
this is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the de@th of privacy
 07-07-2013, 04:49 PMaway - #15
SKEME 44 heat pts44

d 
space
$3,109 | POWERFUL
Heard people making thousands per month promoting this service sign up and enjoy the rewards its 100% legit.

07-07-2013, 05:04 PMaway - #16
Taste Maker 23 heat pts23

d 
space
$3,322 | POWERFUL
republic wireless 19.99 per month unlimited talk/text/internet
 07-07-2013, 06:18 PMaway - #17
hush956 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$2,808 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by SKEME
Heard people making thousands per month promoting this service sign up and enjoy the rewards its 100% legit.

Dont just go to solavei.com it will take to a random sponser. BX only sponser is me. and i will help you guys out if you have questions.
 07-07-2013, 06:20 PMaway - #18
hush956 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$2,808 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Taste Maker
republic wireless 19.99 per month unlimited talk/text/internet
I never heard of that one but what you need a special phone?

What phones work with Republic?
A certified Republic Wireless phone is required for membership, because our unique Wi-Fi Hybrid Calling technology is built in. We're currently offering one smartphone device — the Motorola DEFY XT.

07-08-2013, 11:08 AMaway - #19
CadillacVyse 391 heat pts391

d 
space
$15,857 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by messy marv stan
this is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the de@th of privacy
Bit these businesses are doing it in the name of the dollar so its all good.

Video inside  Dec 21 - Police officer shot & killed in Florida
149 comments
Dec 21 - Police dispatch audio of two nypd officer shot
91 comments
What's Quentin Tarantino's best film in your opinion
121 comments
 Image(s) inside Chief Keef's Art Show/gallery #picassosaseason
New reply 9 minutes ago - 85 comments - by RIP4SBG
 Image(s) inside Q-tip Throwin Knowledge Darts At Iggy On Twitter
New reply 40 minutes ago - 174 comments - by ralph lauren
 Article inside Bobby Shmurda Facing A Total Of 71 Years In Prison
New reply 12 minutes ago - 212 comments - by sdot216
 NBA Adrian Wojnarowski Kings And Nets Discussing Deron Wil...
New reply 46 minutes ago - 75 comments - by all3rd
  Man Quotes 50 Cent Lyrics After Shooting Two Nypd Offi...
New reply 16 minutes ago - 166 comments - by A.Dot789
 Video inside Can't Interview N!ggas - They Clowning With These Air ...
New reply 59 minutes ago - 58 comments - by Jeff Roorda
 Image(s) inside "i Guess Ya'll Can't Breathe Either"-the Gam...
New reply 39 minutes ago - 350 comments - by Bkjj11
 Image(s) inside Godfather Fif Reacts To News Of 2 Police Officers Bein...
New reply 1 hour ago - 187 comments - by Carlton Black

like bx on facebook follow bx on twitter
5,903 fans of BX | none new today 4,851 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.