online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Jul 23 - Meet the 19-year-old Chicago teen who may cure colon cancer

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

10 years ago '11        #1
12719 page views
0 comments

Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x69
Props total: 224148 224 K  Slaps total: 29457 29 K
Jul 23 - Meet the 19-year-old Chicago teen who may cure colon cancer

A 19-year-old Chicago teen may one day hold the key to curing colon cancer.

If his previous successes are any indication, Keven Stonewall is well on his way to becoming the kind of scientist who leaves a lasting impact in the world of cancer research.

In his senior year of high school, this young man from the city’s South Side was already working on a potential colon cancer vaccine at a Rush University lab, DNAInfo reports.

“My friends, family members have died from cancer,” Stonewall said in a VNM video. “A lot of people are impacted by cancer. So I felt it was my role to step up and do something about it.”

At first, his friends mocked his dedication to science. When they were out on vacation, he was holed up in his lab.

“I was one of the few kids who were engaged,” Stonewall said. “At first they were making fun of me, like ‘Come on man, why you want to be in the lab all day?’”

But after realizing that his lab time was producing real results, his buddies turned around. In fact, they confessed they were inspired by him.

“Now a lot of my friends are that much more motivated to do better,” Stonewall said. “I can make a difference in someone’s life without even knowing it.”

For his experiment, Stonewall injected a special high concentration of the cancer-treating drug mitoxantrone into younger and older mice. He then injected the mice with aggressive colon cancer cells. After three days, Stonewall noticed that his experimental vaccine was 100% effective on young mice--their tumors were gone and they showed immunity to colon cancer. But the older mice were still afflicted by the cancer cells.

His lab director at Rush University, Carl Ruby, said that Stonewall’s experiment helped scientists realize that they needed a special vaccine for older subjects.

Ruby said that the teen "should be heralded for helping to develop more effective colon cancer treatments that will impact the elderly, the population that is most susceptible to colon cancer.”

“He has all the tools. He will go far,” Ruby added.

Stonewall has won numerous awards for his research. He was a finalist for the Intel International Science and Engineer Fair in 2013.

He’s not a rising sophomore at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, working on a vaccine that he hopes could one day be tested on humans.

But the young man won’t forget his roots. He credits his parents for motivating him to succeed in his academics. His father and mother are both teachers at Chicago’s public school. When he first showed interest in science back in the fifth grade, he remembers getting four microscopes for Christmas.

He’s hoping to eventually create a vaccine that will cure colon cancer once and for all.

“If you don’t plan to succeed, you’re planning to fail,” Stonewall said.

http://www.nydailynews.co .. icle-1.1877446
+130   

icon
best
icon
worst
0 comments

say something...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
logo LeBron gets called out for stat padding
97 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
props+346
Post A Moment That Finished An Artist Career
287 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+524
Video inside Man builds backyard bar to get away from his wife..
77 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props+423
Video inside This is Janet Jackson. She will be 58 this year 💋
69 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop