This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jul 18 - Barack Obama Proposes $1 Billion Effort To...

Jul 18 - Barack Obama Proposes $1 Billion Effort To...
topic by SickaMorStyle - 07-18-2012, 11:24 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Master Teacher Corps: Barack Obama Proposes $1 Billion Effort To Boost Students' Achievement In Math, Science
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration unveiled plans Wednesday to create an elite corps of master teachers, a $1 billion effort to boost U.S. students' achievement in science, technology, engineering and math.

The program to reward high-performing teachers with salary stipends is part of a long-term effort by President Barack Obama to encourage education in high-demand areas that hold the key to future economic growth — and to close the achievement gap between American students and their international peers.

Teachers selected for the Master Teacher Corps will be paid an additional $20,000 a year and must commit to participate multiple years. The goal is to create a multiplier effect in which expert educators share their knowledge and skills with other teachers, improving the quality of education for all students.

Speaking at a rally for his re-election campaign in San Antonio on Tuesday, Obama framed his emphasis on expanded education funding as a point of contrast with Republican challenger Mitt Romney, whom he accused of prioritizing tax cuts for the wealthy over reinvestment in the nation.

"I'm running to make sure that America has the best education system on earth, from pre-K all the way to post-graduate," Obama said. "And that means hiring new teachers, especially in math and science."

The administration will make $100 million available immediately out of an existing fund to incentivize top-performing teachers. Over the longer term, the White House said it plans to launch the program with $1 billion included in Obama's budget request for fiscal year 2013.

But the House and Senate both voted down Obama's budget earlier in the year, making it far from certain that Obama will be able to get congressional approval to spend $1 billion on master teachers.

An aide to Rep. John Kline, R-Minn., chairman of the House Education and the Workforce Committee, noted that the federal government already has more than 80 teacher quality programs and said it would be foolish to pump money into programs that may be duplicative or unproductive.

"Republicans share the president's goal of getting better teachers in the classroom," said Kline spokeswoman Alexandra Sollberger. "However, we also value transparency and efficient use of taxpayer resources."

Education Secretary Arne Duncan said he expected the two parties to come together to support achievement in areas of high demand.

"This initiative has nothing to do with politics," Duncan said. "It's absolutely in our country's best long-term economic interest to do a much better job in this area."

A report released in February by the President's Council of Advisers on Science and Technology found that the U.S. must increase by 34 percent the number of students receiving degrees in science, math and related fields to keep up with economic demand.

The program will start with 2,500 teachers divided up among 50 different sites, the White House said, but will grow to include 10,000 teachers over the next four years. Obama, in partnership with a coalition of groups including the Carnegie Corporation of New York, has set a goal of producing 100,000 additional math and science teachers over the next 10 years.

Latest News Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

23 comments for "Jul 18 - Barack Obama Proposes $1 Billion Effort To..."

07-18-2012, 11:29 PMaway - #2
Ham Rove 1955 heat pts1955

d 
space
$35,898 | POWERFUL
Seems like a good idea since we are seriously behind in terms of world wide rankings in math and science
 07-19-2012, 02:56 PMaway - #3
Suppafresh 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$4,302 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by NoTitleSince73
Seems like a good idea since we are seriously behind in terms of world wide rankings in math and science
Yea but we number one in reality shows displaying the stupid part of American culture.
 07-19-2012, 03:37 PMaway - #4
ItAlY2BkLyN 220 heat pts220

d 
space
$14,354 | POWERFUL
A short term stipend for the best of the best teachers isn't going to fix ####.

Instead of giving bonuses out, they should restructure salaries for all teachers. Make it possible for the schools to actually pay a decent wage to all teachers. Not just the best of the best.

How this will actually increase student achievement on a national level is still to be debated.
 07-19-2012, 04:11 PMaway - #5
Philly B 33 heat pts33

d 
space
$5,292 | POWERFUL

another billion down the drain
 07-19-2012, 04:22 PMaway - #6
Freemind 41 heat pts41

d 
space
$8,868 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Philly B

another billion down the drain

This is actually good... School funding is cut enough... So $1b to throw to it is great. As long as it gets spent right.

And every kid should learn about math and science... Those were my favorite classes in school.

You're ignorant if you think kids should have a better education than they do. The American education system is a joke.
 07-19-2012, 04:25 PMaway - #7
tupacnasfan 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$10,530 | POWERFUL
End the U.S. Department of education, that's what we need.

#### nobama and the rest of the globalist left/right.
 07-19-2012, 04:30 PMaway - #8
dtf12 38 heat pts38

d 
space
$2,414 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by otherside
how about parents take time out of their lives to teach their own kids how to take school more seriously, instead of having to spend a billion more dollars on teachers!! I was a learning disabled kid when I was younger, my parents took time out of their lives to correct me... ended up getting a corporate job at age 19 with no college degree...

so many excuses in this country!!
^^ THIS!! I worked in a High School for a time there and i can tell you parents are HORRIBLE now.. They take NO RESPONSIBILITY for their children's education.. Parents are the main reason these kids are not learning not the school. Think about it... what do kids do when they get home? xbox.... ps3? no one is there making sure they get their homework done. If they misbehave in school the parents do not correct them at home so any punishment at school does not help. PARENTS NEED TO BE PARENTS NOT THEIR KIDS BEST FRIEND... that is what is wrong!
 07-19-2012, 05:33 PMaway - #9
canesin2099 

d 
space
$1,342 | 3011056
Originally Posted by tupacnasfan
End the U.S. Department of education, that's what we need.

#### nobama and the rest of the globalist left/right.
Yessir
 07-19-2012, 07:44 PMaway - #10
ImAMonster 245 heat pts245

d 
space
$24,039 | POWERFUL
You don't need to upgrade ####!!! It's a waste of money. Maybe if the kids stopped wasting so much damn time on their precious cellphones and doing useless ####, they would learn more and be better educated. But no, Let's waste money on #### we don't need to waste money on, just like you've been doing your whole time in office, Obama. Only thing is these people are blinded by your skin color and won't realize it! NOBOMA!
 07-19-2012, 07:56 PMaway - #11
Opm 

d 
space
$1,336 | 3229208
we dont need ####ing school you dont learn how to build a house or rap or use a computer in school you learn that #### through experiance we should take that 1 billion dollers and put it twards our debt and repay that #### this is another one of that ####er nobama and joe bitemes illuminati plans to take over the world what is he really teaching our kids patriotism and #### all you learn in school was how george washington discovered american first and won the first world war we need a man like ron paul 2012 to run our country he will put money to real things we need like houses and cars and #### i am going to vote for ron paul 2012 if i even vote that is voteing is a joke i see people act all parriototic after they get done voteing idiots are the reason obummer was elected to in the 1st place
 07-19-2012, 08:29 PMaway - #12
Cowboys All Day 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$8,358 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Freemind
You're ignorant if you think kids should have a better education than they do. The American education system is a joke.
I do think they SHOULD have a better education, so I'm ignorant....?

caught your a$s slippin bro
 07-19-2012, 08:36 PMaway - #13

d 
space
$8,358 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Opm
we dont need ####ing school you dont learn how to build a house or rap or use a computer in school you learn that #### through experiance we should take that 1 billion dollers and put it twards our debt and repay that #### this is another one of that ####er nobama and joe bitemes illuminati plans to take over the world what is he really teaching our kids patriotism and #### all you learn in school was how george washington discovered american first and won the first world war we need a man like ron paul 2012 to run our country he will put money to real things we need like houses and cars and #### i am going to vote for ron paul 2012 if i even vote that is voteing is a joke i see people act all parriototic after they get done voteing idiots are the reason obummer was elected to in the 1st place
You are a ####ing idiot, prime example of why I fear for future generations.
 07-19-2012, 08:44 PMaway - #14

d 
space
$35,898 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Opm
you're an idiot.
 07-19-2012, 08:47 PMaway - #15

d 
space
$8,358 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by otherside
Im waiting for the Revolution to happen!! once the european countries start collapsing everybody going to know they are ####ed... I'm ready for this ####, 6 yrs ago Scientist predicted that sometime in the 2010's we will revolt.. didn't believe that #### until everyone bugged the #### out when Occupy WallStreet got big!!
Sitting on your a$s waiting for some revolution ? You gotta be ####ing kidding me.

Occupy WallStreet, right, where are they now? Haven't heard #### about them in a looooong time. Could be due to media blackout but I have not even heard a squeak on any social media sites either. WE ARE THE 99% BRO

Don't get me wrong I like the overall idea and goal of the occupy movement but come on son, you can't put your faith in everyone else like that. They started strong and then black block came in and said #### you and started being the anarchists they are. And you have the news interviewing the stupidest people protesting making EVERYONE look ####ing retarded. You can have 100,000 people protesting and one or 2 ####heads who start trouble, break ####, and get the entire movement ####ed up. I was very surprised that the government never put a "plant" in the movement and have him shoot a cop or something, I predicted that #### from day 1 too.

Anyways, not to get all preachy but placing faith in the rest of the world to change the world is a mistake in my opinion. Humanity has proven time and time again we can't come together for ####....
 07-19-2012, 08:59 PMaway - #16
.amberlamps. 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$24,936 | POWERFUL
they need to tax the #### outta xbox and playstation so parents stop buying this bull#### for them. I remember this teacher I had once said he didn't own a tv, I was like (had a family too). I understand why now.
 07-19-2012, 09:00 PMaway - #17

d 
space
$8,358 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by S.TEX
they need to tax the #### outta xbox and playstation so parents stop buying this bull#### for them. I remember this teacher I had once said he didn't own a tv, I was like (had a family too). I understand why now.
I can do without 99% of TV but don't take my NFL , NCAA FB or NBA away
 07-19-2012, 09:03 PMaway - #18
illprem 4 heat pts

d 
space
$729 | 5558435
Originally Posted by Opm
Judging by the way that you spell, your incoherent thought processes, and your glaring lack of punctuation, I'd say that you're probably the last person who should be in the position of a$sessing whether school is necessary or not.
 07-19-2012, 09:08 PMaway - #19
.amberlamps. 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$24,936 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Cowboys All Day
I can do without 99% of TV but don't take my NFL , NCAA FB or NBA away
on the NBA part, although I'm tempted to finally give up the sport the way I follow it religiously. after breaking bad ends it's a wrap for my cable subscription.
 07-19-2012, 09:08 PMaway - #20

d 
space
$35,898 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by illprem
Judging by the way that you spell, your incoherent thought processes, and your glaring lack of punctuation, I'd say that you're probably the last person who should be in the position of a$sessing whether school is necessary or not.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  Images of Ben Afleck's Costume In Full Color from Bat..
62 comments
Image inside  Which games are gonna flop in October n November? Too..
55 comments
Video inside  "NBA Street Vol. 2" Repped for the Old School.
67 comments
 Image(s) inside Jul 23 - Meet The 19-year-old Chicago Teen Who May Cur...
New reply 32 seconds ago - 107 comments - by Sin
 Image(s) inside Bx You Smashing Or Not???
New reply 4 minutes ago - 170 comments - by tokinjohn
 NBA Breaking News: Dallas Set To Sign Former All-star Pg
New reply 38 seconds ago - 58 comments - by Eazy123
 NBA Looking Back At It, Was The Miami Heat A Dynasty?
New reply 9 minutes ago - 108 comments - by chrismb
 NBA Report: Lakers Willing To Offer Eric Bledsoe Close To ...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 125 comments - by theFREAK
 NBA Joel Embiid Sets Sights On Rihanna (moves On From K. K...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 63 comments - by Jiraiya
 Image(s) inside Soulja Boy Caught Flexin'
New reply 3 minutes ago - 207 comments - by SeattleWon
 Image(s) inside Minister Louis Farrakhan Unveils Essay Praising Jay El...
New reply 17 minutes ago - 62 comments - by Avon_Barksdale

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,756 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.