This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jan 9 - Burlington City Council approves gun ban

Jan 9 - Burlington City Council approves gun ban
topic by Wood Grain - 01-09-2013, 10:44 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

this #### is sad....banning guns for violence it like banning spoons for fat people!!!...in 2months the sheep will be complaining to big brother about another bs topic > Jan 9 - Burlington City Council approves gun ban - Photo posted in BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Video in source

source: Burlington City Council approves gun ban - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

URLINGTON, Vt. -
A passionate crowd - many in blaze orange - packed City Hall Monday night. Most of whom were there to voice concern and contest the proposed change to the city charter.

"It's not really good to pass feel good legislations," said one gun rights advocate to the city council.

The proposed amendment banning semi-automatic a$sault weapons and multiple ammunition clips came from Norm Blais, (D-Burlington City Council) in the wake of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

"To those people who say we don't need this legislation in Burlington because nothing like this has ever happened here before, well the people of Newtown, Conn. could have said that before Dec. 15th," Blais said.

But at least one crowd member says emotions shouldn't cloud lawmaking judgment.

"I think it's a dangerous course to let emotions get into the driver's seat when writing legislation that could potentially infringe on constitutional rights," said Matt Storer, a member of the public in attendance.

And he wasn't the only one concerned with the Constitution. Applause echoed almost every speaker who mentioned the 2nd amendment.

Renee Robyor, another resident who spoke during public comment added, "This council has failed to recognize the right to keep arms omitting this right from the proposed charter change."

Another common theme among the dozens who addressed the council -- the need not to take away the guns -- but to focus on the mental health of those who may potentially pull a trigger.

Speaking of his training as a school teacher, Morgan Lamphere said, "We have come to understand that better mental health programs for children thru adult services will be the only way to help our society."

Still, Vermont is one of the most lenient states when it comes to gun laws -- some council members say it's better to look at what they can do in the short term like increase school safety, rather than try to challenge state law.

"To pass a law or to send a charter change that's ultimately probably going to do nothing, that Montpelier will not sign off on is a futile exercise," added Paul Decelles, (R-Burlington City Council.)

The amendment passed 10-3, but still has a long way to go before it could possibly go into effect. It must go into committee, eventually be voted on by the public, and then sent before the legislature in Montpelier.

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

10 comments for "Jan 9 - Burlington City Council approves gun ban"

01-09-2013, 10:51 PMonline - #2
Fras1788 156 heat pts156

d 
space
$10,737 | POWERFUL
Gotta love my state! They always try to be the first to pass "popular" legislation; like when they hurried and legalized gay marriage. (Which Im fine with)

I don't know how I feel about this though. I don't think anyone needs a$sault rifles. But it should be your right to if you are mentally st@ble. I'm really on the fence about it all.

01-09-2013, 10:52 PMaway - #3
stlcardinals19 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$12,425 | POWERFUL
The amendment passed 10-3, but still has a long way to go before it could possibly go into effect. It must go into committee, eventually be voted on by the public, and then sent before the legislature in Montpelier.
So essentially............nothing's happened yet.
 01-09-2013, 10:59 PMaway - #4
Wood Grain 4 heat pts

d 
space
$1,170 | 6391572
Originally Posted by stlcardinals19
So essentially............nothing's happened yet.
The council has approved this...but this is a republic so we do have a say..this only showing the ignorance of elected officials
 01-11-2013, 07:07 AMaway - #5
MakeItHappen456 35 heat pts35

d 
space
$4,377 | POWERFUL
Where's Burlington ?
 01-11-2013, 08:13 AMaway - #6
Clutch City Kid 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$4,558 | 16686526
does Burlington City even really matter to the rest of the US??
 01-11-2013, 10:21 AMonline - #7
Fras1788 156 heat pts156

d 
space
$10,737 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Clutch City Kid
does Burlington City even really matter to the rest of the US??
 01-11-2013, 10:35 PMaway - #8
sunsetnVine 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$4,920 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Fras1788
Gotta love my state! They always try to be the first to pass "popular" legislation; like when they hurried and legalized gay marriage. (Which Im fine with)

I don't know how I feel about this though. I don't think anyone needs a$sault rifles. But it should be your right to if you are mentally st@ble. I'm really on the fence about it all.

what part of semi auto did u miss.... thi includes handguns....
 01-11-2013, 10:49 PMaway - #9
Bob Sacamano 

d 
space
$4,749 | 13324217
Yeah thats my state too, thats my city. I swear when I saw that headline I said to myself 'obviously thats a different Burlington' (since there are like 15 in the country). Also since our population is small and we love our guns, but sure enough hah... They wern't kidding saying VT is one of the most lenient gun law states, you can carry a CONCEALED firearm literally anywhere with a permit. A few of my friends carry around pistols on the regular, no big deal.

The key words in this article are "eventually be voted on by the public, and then sent before the legislature in Montpelier." There is no way this will ever pass in VT hah, like that notion is actually a funny joke to anyone who is from here. I'm sure this initiative was just some liberal douche at city hall getting overly emotional at their job. I duno what qualifies as 'multi-ammunition clips' wouldn't that include like almost every damn gun? Anyway, this is a non-story it will never pass.

Last edited by Bob Sacamano; 01-11-2013 at 10:57 PM..
 01-12-2013, 02:25 PMaway - #10
Bob Sacamano 

d 
space
$4,749 | 13324217
reppin and uppin my city

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
But Wait, There's More! Sprint Unveils New $60 Unlimited Everyt..
88 comments
Aug 20 - Boy, 9 IN CHICAGO SHOT TO DEATH
105 comments
Aug 21 - Star Witness In Michael Brown Shooting Charged With Th..
69 comments
 Image(s) inside Lil Zane And The L He Recently Took :jayhah3:
New reply 1 minute ago - 59 comments - by OG Killa
 Video inside Talib Kweli On Cnn Going Innnnnnnnnnnnnnn!
New reply 3 minutes ago - 104 comments - by sportyloc107
 Video inside Soulja Boy Message To Gillie Da Kid "knock You Ou...
New reply 1 minute ago - 55 comments - by akverse47
 Image(s) inside Best Looking Video Game Console Ever?
New reply 4 minutes ago - 83 comments - by Kierris24
 Image(s) inside Biggie’s Son Denies He’s Gay, Hints That He "gets...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 60 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 Video inside The Breakfast Club Ethers Floyd Mayweather As He Strug...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 296 comments - by MajorD
 Image(s) inside The Division Xbox One Demo At Gamescom Impression: Not...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 69 comments - by Pleasure Boy
 Image(s) inside Watching "breaking Bad" Over Again... This I...
New reply 12 minutes ago - 95 comments - by Sphynx

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.