This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jan 4 - University of Arizona Introduces First Ever Hip-Hop Minor

Jan 4 - University of Arizona Introduces First Ever Hip-Hop Minor
topic by TheThreadLord - 01-04-2013, 05:36 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

The University of Arizona recently announced that it has created a “Hip-Hop Concentration” in the College of Humanities’ minor for Africana Studies, reportedly the first of its kind for the institution.

According to the description of the minor and its objectives, the University of Arizona seeks to ”provide students with a solid introduction and broad understanding of the origins and developing of the forms of expression that make up Hip-Hop cultures throughout the world: Hip-Hop dance, rap music, graffiti/tagging, fashion, business, and film. The Minor introduces students to the main themes represented in Hip-Hop cultures: appropriation and defense of spaces, mixing of different cultures, migrations, multilingualism, race, class, gender, religions, s3xuality, nationality, politics and the economy, and, the search for identity.”

“The UA is more open to new, challenging, ambitious, creative and even controversial topics than almost any other university in the world,” Alain-Philippe Durand, director of Africana Studies at the University of Arizona explained. “Here, you are not told to stay in your corner. It is the opposite: You are constantly pushed and encouraged to break boundaries.””

Courses for the minor include Rap, Culture and God, Hip-Hop Cinema, US & Francophone Hip-Hop Cultures, Blacks in Hollywood, Pan-African Dance Aesthetics and a host of other classes geared towards African-American studies and African-American History.

Ultimately the course seeks to give students the opportunity to investigate Hip-Hop’s cultural impact, which the University of Arizona acknowledges “severely impacted many elements of mainstream American culture to the extent that corporations have embraced hip-hop music and artists as a means of marketing goods to everyone.”

University of Arizona Introduces First Ever Hip-Hop Minor | AllHipHop.com

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

18 comments for "Jan 4 - University of Arizona Introduces First Ever Hip-Hop Minor"

01-04-2013, 07:40 PMaway - #2
nightmare 420 heat pts420

d 
space
$12,789 | POWERFUL
if you minor in this, you took an L

at most this should be a course or two
 01-04-2013, 09:06 PMonline - #3
Rique 30 heat pts30

d 
space
$26,029 | POWERFUL
lolllllllll more debt for useless classes
 01-04-2013, 09:06 PMaway - #4
420Heat 2 heat pts

d 
space
$4,990 | 12648258
 01-04-2013, 09:08 PMaway - #5

d 
space
$12,789 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by 420Heat
 01-04-2013, 11:17 PMaway - #6
DERRTY CHYBO 8 heat pts

d 
space
$10,061 | POWERFUL
u of a and arizona state are 2 of the biggest joke universities in the country im not surprised one of them will be having this
 01-05-2013, 12:38 AMaway - #7
blackjackdre 

d 
space
$190 | 245366
What makes University Of Arizona a ''Joke'' University?
 01-05-2013, 11:42 AMaway - #8
kushkulture420 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$1,008 | 11101455
have any one of yall ever went to college?? They have studies on jazz and rock, so why not hip-hop. This is a big step for making the skeptics who dont like hip-hop finally respect it as music. And it will help people outside of the black race understand our culture. Hopefully one day it will get to the point of jazz and rock studies.
 01-05-2013, 12:13 PMaway - #9
Melle 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$2,259 | 19728887
took a music class in community college, only did it bc it was one of the many out of major classes i could have taken
 01-05-2013, 12:45 PMaway - #10
ManWithoutFear! 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
ni##as be in a Hip Hop msg board ####ting on hip hop. #### baffles the hell outa me.
When I went to NYU I took a course on jazz. Is that an L for me? Like theres no goddamn history in Hip Hop.
ni##as stay showing their age in this ####. Lol
 01-05-2013, 12:49 PMaway - #11

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by kushkulture420
have any one of yall ever went to college?? They have studies on jazz and rock, so why not hip-hop. This is a big step for making the skeptics who dont like hip-hop finally respect it as music. And it will help people outside of the black race understand our culture. Hopefully one day it will get to the point of jazz and rock studies.
Props!!
 01-05-2013, 02:07 PMaway - #12
DERRTY CHYBO 8 heat pts

d 
space
$10,061 | POWERFUL
 01-05-2013, 04:24 PMaway - #13
bbrossy313 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$2,563 | 14160944
Im pretty sure McNally Smith college of Music in Minneapolis offers a degree in Hip hop studies.

But they are one of the best schools in the nation for music and performance arts. Plus they also have actual hip hop artist that teach classes like Dessa and Toki Wright
 01-06-2013, 09:51 PMaway - #14
Freemind 41 heat pts41

d 
space
$8,868 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by kushkulture420
Get a minor in Hip Hop and lemme know if it helps you in real life.
 01-06-2013, 10:30 PMaway - #15
RaulG 

d 
space
$799 | 5116898
exactly lol...
 01-06-2013, 10:58 PMonline - #16
Aesop730 8 heat pts

d 
space
$13,959 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Freemind
Y'all saying it like it couldn't help you out here in the work force. Like it's not a hip hop industry , or a music industry. It all depends on the person and how they work their degree, and what they learned in school.
 01-07-2013, 12:06 AMonline - #17
Rob De Niro 108 heat pts108

d 
space
$11,614 | POWERFUL
i just want to go to Duke and take 9th wonders class
 01-07-2013, 07:54 AMaway - #18

d 
space
$12,789 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ManWithoutFear!
ni##as be in a Hip Hop msg board ####ting on hip hop. #### baffles the hell outa me.
When I went to NYU I took a course on jazz. Is that an L for me? Like theres no goddamn history in Hip Hop.
ni##as stay showing their age in this ####. Lol
im not trashing it overall, but minoring in it? i can see courses. but a minor?

it depends on your overall situation though, i should have clarified that. im just thinking its hard even to get a job out here as it is, then to be minoring in things that cant help you find work. but again that depends on a person's overall situation
 01-07-2013, 08:27 AMaway - #19

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by nightmare
im not trashing it overall, but minoring in it? i can see courses. but a minor?

it depends on your overall situation though, i should have clarified that. im just thinking its hard even to get a job out here as it is, then to be minoring in things that cant help you find work. but again that depends on a person's overall situation
If someones about that Hip Hop like that and the culture and has some drive that most people who strive to have some sort of success have... I don't see why that person wouldnt take his/her education there. Not talking about you in particular, but I just get this bug up my a$s when people wanna call themselves trashing Hip Hop. Hip Hop is all around this muthafuhka. Its not "impossible" to find a career in it other than rapper. Sheeeit, I can't count how many times my boss comes to us with some "this company wants a little Hip Hop urban flair to this ad" be car dealerships, restaraunts, etc. Regardless how people feel about the #### or the quality of artists out now theres still a huge fascination people have with Hip Hop & everything that has to do with it.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
IGN Sunset Overdrive - Review Discussion
68 comments
How You Can Get a New PS4 for $275
79 comments
NBA Miami was using that fake crowd noise last night
60 comments
  Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta (prod. Soundwave X Thunder...
New reply 40 seconds ago - 62 comments - by mdemaz
 Image(s) inside Oct 29 - Aliens Are Real Reveals Former Area 51 Scient...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 177 comments - by Rick Ross
 Article inside Chicago Rapper Bandman Kevo Charged With With Being In...
New reply 1 minute ago - 105 comments - by NoLastName
 NBA (videos) Kobe Bryant Full Highlights 2014.10.29 At Sun...
New reply 7 minutes ago - 70 comments - by T.O.N.Y.
 Image(s) inside Floyd Mayweather Wearing Bedazzled Louboutin Boots
New reply 5 minutes ago - 95 comments - by nicoled985
 NBA Reddit User Digs Up Old Tweets From Players
New reply 15 minutes ago - 58 comments - by Wardell Curry II
  The Ps4 Shareplay Thread: Online Couch Coop And Trying...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 110 comments - by Jesszman
 NFL Wait, What!?!?: Rg3 To Start This Sunday Vs Vikings
New reply 16 minutes ago - 117 comments - by slipnslide85

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,833 fans of BX | none new today 4,800 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.