This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jan 4 - This Is What a Watery Mars May Have Looked Like

Jan 4 - This Is What a Watery Mars May Have Looked Like
topic by DNa BRoWN - 01-04-2013, 11:06 AM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Mars, we now think, based on observations made by the Curiosity rover and other recent expeditions, was once a blue planet, covered in a vast ocean of water, says Universe Today. But what would such a watery Mars have looked like? Kevin Gill, a software engineer, wanted to find out. Using elevation measurements based on the observations of NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, Gill laid out what the planet’s surface would have looked like with a big global ocean. The recreation was more artistic than scientific: he picked what the land surface would have been like in different places, whether forested or desert, and picked a (consistent) sea level. Gill:
There is no scientific reasoning behind how I painted it; I tried to envision how the land would appear given certain features or the effects of likely atmospheric climate. For example, I didn’t see much green taking hold within the area of Olympus Mons and the surrounding volcanoes, both due to the volcanic activity and the proximity to the equator (thus a more tropical climate). For these desert-like areas I mostly used textures taken from the Sahara in Africa and some of Australia. Likewise, as the terrain gets higher or lower in latitude I added darker flora along with tundra and glacial ice. These northern and southern areas textures are largely taken from around northern Russia. Tropical and subtropical greens were based on the rainforests of South America and Africa.

So, while the recreations of an ancient Mars may not be perfect, says Universe Today, they are certainly a fun way to trigger the imagination, “turning the Red Planet into its own version of the Blue Marble.”

More from Smithsonian.com:

Read more: This Is What a Watery Mars May Have Looked Like | Smart News
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

46 comments for "Jan 4 - This Is What a Watery Mars May Have Looked Like"

01-04-2013, 03:44 PMaway - #2
Nut-In-Honeys 9 heat pts

d 
space
$4,256 | POWERFUL
Dope. Mars has 3 n#pples
 01-04-2013, 05:08 PMaway - #3
nightmare 411 heat pts411

d 
space
$12,575 | POWERFUL
imagine if mars had life and #### like we do now, and the life destroyed themselves in a war and sent a seed to Earth and thats what we are.
 01-04-2013, 09:00 PMaway - #4
j3rz 3 heat pts

d 
space
$1,156 | 4235080
Originally Posted by nightmare
imagine if mars had life and #### like we do now, and the life destroyed themselves in a war and sent a seed to Earth and thats what we are.
see mission to mars
 01-04-2013, 09:07 PMaway - #5

d 
space
$12,575 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by j3rz
see mission to mars
was a good movie, but i never really thought much of it until i learned more about the history of mars
 01-05-2013, 11:23 AMaway - #6
Dos-effect 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$14,677 | POWERFUL
If that were the case how long ago did that civilization exist........could that level of technology have exited on Mars when the dinosaurs ruled ours?....what is the true factor of intelligent life?
 01-05-2013, 11:43 AMaway - #7

d 
space
$12,575 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Dos-effect
If that were the case how long ago did that civilization exist........could that level of technology have exited on Mars when the dinosaurs ruled ours?....what is the true factor of intelligent life?
thats what makes it interesting, because theres no telling, humans have only been dominant for about 15-30k years, and look what we have done so far, so imagine what a different civilization could have achieve way more time
 01-05-2013, 03:48 PMaway - #8
Alixix 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$3,451 | POWERFUL
key word here is "imagine"
 01-05-2013, 04:03 PMaway - #9
Trolling 60 heat pts60

d 
space
$1,838 | POWERFUL
thats what makes it interesting, because theres no telling, humans have only been dominant for about 15-30k years, and look what we have done so far, so imagine what a different civilization could have achieve way more time
What if we take some heat resilient bacteria , and shoot them to other planets , and see what happens in a Billion years ..

01-05-2013, 04:09 PMaway - #10
Kooper 62 heat pts62

d 
space
$10,376 | POWERFUL
What have we done so far?

Man has yet to step foot on any rock outside of the moon.

and we did that in 69

I mean all the 3d imaging of the sun and looking light years into deep space is cool an all.. but ####. We need a better method of using energy to travel. I remember seeing something where the amount of rocket fuel needed to get to Mars and back would cost more than the ship to get there.
 01-05-2013, 04:32 PMaway - #11
knowughetto 9 heat pts

d 
space
$11,036 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Dos-effect
ni##as believe in dinosaurs?
 01-05-2013, 05:10 PMaway - #12
UpTownBronx92 202 heat pts202

d 
space
$6,804 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by j3rz
see mission to mars
was a good movie, but i never really thought much of it until i learned more about the history of mars
 01-06-2013, 02:36 PMaway - #13
GetuOne 71 heat pts71

d 
space
$4,315 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by knowughetto
^ Dumb person
 01-07-2013, 10:05 AMaway - #14
knowughetto 9 heat pts

d 
space
$11,036 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by GetuOne
^ Dumb person
I'm sorry that I don't believe everything these scientists, researchers, and archaeologists say like you do.
 01-07-2013, 10:23 AMaway - #15
Ad1288 

d 
space
$645 | 1418615
I'm sorry that I don't believe everything these scientists, researchers, and archaeologists say like you do.
So you don't believe in the fossils that have been found? Or are those fake in your eyes?
 01-07-2013, 10:30 AMaway - #16
ReppinDaBurghh 50 heat pts50

d 
space
$39,901 | POWERFUL
at somebody literally not "believing" in dinosaurs.

k## yourself.
 01-07-2013, 10:33 AMaway - #17
RedMonkeyJunkie 8 heat pts

d 
space
$4,544 | POWERFUL
Idiots like you actually exist?
 01-07-2013, 10:34 AMaway - #18
DNa BRoWN 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$876 | 11656778
Everybody knows a race blew up mars and conquered earth.
 01-07-2013, 10:51 AMaway - #19
knowughetto 9 heat pts

d 
space
$11,036 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Ad1288
So you don't believe in the fossils that have been found? Or are those fake in your eyes?
I don't believe in dinosaurs at all...Does this look a fossil to you?

This looks like a carving to me, and not a fossil..
 01-07-2013, 10:52 AMaway - #20
knowughetto 9 heat pts

d 
space
$11,036 | POWERFUL
ni##as in here are really mad because I don't believe in dinosaurs?

I bet you guys believe that humans lived/co-existed with the dinosaurs too...

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
BOX teddy atlas ''it makes me sick! lara won that fight!'..
134 comments
NBA LeBron James Sends Akron Neighbors Cupcakes for Dealing ..
110 comments
NBA Dan LeBatard Mini Rant ( Lebron )
118 comments
 Image(s) inside Solve This Math Problem.....the Sequel
New reply 14 seconds ago - 92 comments - by MGz
  Jul 22 - After Latest Incident, Israel's Future In Fif...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 55 comments - by mohmezherismaie
 Image(s) inside Bx You Smashing Or Not???
New reply 38 seconds ago - 78 comments - by tokinjohn
 Image(s) inside Best "bounce Back" Album
New reply 6 minutes ago - 153 comments - by AC SLATER
 Image(s) inside Soulja Boy Caught Flexin'
New reply 1 minute ago - 146 comments - by SeattleWon
 Image(s) inside Jul 22 - World’s Second-richest Man Calls For Three-da...
New reply 8 minutes ago - 97 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 NFL Robert Griffin Iii Gives Himself New Nickname
New reply 3 minutes ago - 170 comments - by italiansteve
 F/L My Journey....so Far
New reply 9 minutes ago - 103 comments - by King Jackson

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,756 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.