This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jan 4 - 100 Billion Alien Planets Fill Our Milky Way Galaxy: Study

Jan 4 - 100 Billion Alien Planets Fill Our Milky Way Galaxy: Study
topic by GoldRush - 01-04-2013, 01:04 AM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Our Milky Way galaxy is home to at least 100 billion alien planets, and possibly many more, a new study suggests.

"It's a staggering number, if you think about it," lead author Jonathan Swift, of Caltech in Pasadena, said in a statement. "Basically there's one of these planets per star."

Swift and his colleagues arrived at their estimate after studying a five-planet system called Kepler-32, which lies about 915 light-years from Earth. The five worlds were detected by NASA's Kepler Space Telescope, which flags the tiny brightness dips caused when exoplanets cross their star's face from the instrument's perspective.

The Kepler-32 planets orbit an M dwarf, a type of star that is smaller and cooler than our sun. M dwarfs are the most common star in the Milky Way, accouting for about 75 percent of the galaxy's 100 billion or so stars, researchers said.

Further, the five Kepler-32 worlds are similar in size to Earth and orbit quite close to their parent star, making them typical of the planets Kepler has spotted around other M dwarfs. So the Kepler-32 system should be representative of many of the galaxy's planets, scientists said.

"I usually try not to call things 'Rosetta stones,' but this is as close to a Rosetta stone as anything I've seen," said co-author John Johnson, also of Caltech. "It's like unlocking a language that we're trying to understand the language of planet formation."

Kepler can detect planetary systems only if they're oriented edge-on to the telescope; otherwise, the instrument won't observe any star-dimming planetary transits. So the researchers calculated the odds that an M-dwarf system in the Milky Way would have this orientation, then combined that with the number of such systems Kepler is able to detect to come up with their estimate of 100 billion exoplanets.

The team considered only planets orbiting close to M dwarfs; their analysis didn't include outer planets in M-dwarf systems, or any worlds circling other types of stars. So the galaxy may actually harbor many more planets than the conservative estimate implies perhaps 200 billion, or about two per star, Swift said.
The new analysis confirms three of the five Kepler-32 planets (the other two had been confirmed previously). The Kepler-32 worlds have diameters ranging from 0.8 to 2.7 times that of Earth, and all of them orbit within 10 million miles (16 million kilometers) of their star. For comparison, Earth circles the sun at an average distance of 93 million miles (150 million km).

Because the Kepler-32 star is smaller and less luminous than our sun, the five planets are likely not as heat-blasted as their tight orbits might imply. In fact, the outermost planet in the system appears to lie in the habitable zone, a range of distances that could support the existence of liquid water on a world's system.

The new analysis also suggests that the Kepler-32 planets originally formed farther away from the star and then migrated closer in over time, researchers said.

Several pieces of evidence point toward this conclusion. For example, the team estimated that the five Kepler-32 worlds coalesced from material containing about as much mass as three Jupiters. But models suggest that this much gas and dust cannot be squeezed into the small area circumscribed by the planets' current orbits, researchers said.

"You look in detail at the architecture of this very special planetary system, and you're forced into saying these planets formed farther out and moved in," Johnson said.

The new study was published today (Jan. 2) in The Astrophysical Journal.

100 Billion Alien Planets Fill Our Milky Way Galaxy: Study - Yahoo! News

Latest News Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

51 comments for "Jan 4 - 100 Billion Alien Planets Fill Our Milky Way Galaxy: Study"

01-04-2013, 01:15 AMaway - #2
Phillipmcd 24 heat pts24

d 
space
$1,355 | 17113849
Crazy to think about
 01-04-2013, 02:03 AMaway - #3
Bea5T 78 heat pts78

d 
space
$16,603 | POWERFUL
go look up the hubble deep field pictures if you want an idea how much !! is in space.

Last edited by Bea5T; 01-04-2013 at 02:10 AM..
 01-04-2013, 09:08 AMaway - #4
matelyan 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$7,873 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Windy
good book says nothing about all these planets.

religious scholars speak of the stars and neighboring planets but none of this other stuff.

we are the only intelligent life until god tells me otherwise

just my point of view tho
A very ignorant and short sighted view. Religious scholars are just that, religious scholars. They know nothing of astronomy, astro physics and other sciences that have brought these facts to life. I don't understand how you can blindly follow a book written by people in the desert 6000 years ago but can blatantly deny scientific fact.
 01-04-2013, 10:00 AMaway - #5
360crazy 7 heat pts

d 
space
$2,418 | 0

religious scholars speak of the stars and neighboring planets but none of this other stuff.

01-04-2013, 10:57 AMonline - #6
Nut-In-Honeys 9 heat pts

d 
space
$4,087 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by 360crazy
Godless devils
 01-04-2013, 12:19 PMonline - #7
TattooedMPsz 31 heat pts31

d 
space
$14,000 | POWERFUL
if people actually think we are the only life forms in the galaxy
 01-04-2013, 12:26 PMaway - #8
ReppinDaBurghh 48 heat pts48

d 
space
$38,091 | POWERFUL

Originally Posted by Nut-In-Honeys
Godless devils
Look guys, three idiots.
 01-04-2013, 12:27 PMaway - #9

d 
space
$38,091 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TattooedMPsz
if people actually think we are the only life forms in the galaxy
Let alone the Universe. 100-200 billion planets in our galaxy and there are hundreds of billions of galaxies.
 01-04-2013, 01:43 PMaway - #10
matelyan 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$7,873 | POWERFUL

Your good book also says nothing about the internet, cell phones, refrigerators, or cars. Yet you still probably use and belive in all of those things. So I don't understand how you can put all your eggs in one basket, especially when the basket has been proven flawed time and time again.
 01-04-2013, 02:03 PMaway - #11
FLA_ALL_DAY 4 heat pts

d 
space
$1,196 | 6067154

i would literally bet my life you are wrong
 01-04-2013, 02:15 PMaway - #12
FLA_ALL_DAY 4 heat pts

d 
space
$1,196 | 6067154

i would literally bet my life you are wrong
 01-04-2013, 02:20 PMaway - #13
Tic Toc 3 heat pts

d 
space
$4,693 | 15754100
This made me think about that Always Sunny episode when Mac proved that science is wrong sometimes as well....
 01-04-2013, 03:37 PMaway - #14
matelyan 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$7,873 | POWERFUL
All god's creations tho. I don't see a need to debate with you guys.

Your going to hell, that's just what I believe. sorry
God created the universe too and all these planets as well. And I'm pretty sure that he created other intelligent life forms. But unlike you, I'm relying on fact to believe in that. Unfortunately for you though, your belief system lacks any shred of concrete evidence that could support your beliefs. And don't tell me the Bible, for that is just a really good work of fiction that man has given so much power, while failing to actually adhere to many of the positive messages it teaches.

And who are you to claim where I am going after I exit this Earth. Like most religious people you talk a lot of stupid bull!! and then when pressed for a debate or intellectual argument you resort to your scare tactics about how if I don't believe I will be damned for eternity and made to suffer for the rest of my Afterlife.

Newsflash friend, Hell isn't even a real place. Its made up, just like all the other nonsense you believe. There is only one true GOD and he has no religion, therefore he doesn't susbscribe to your Christian fairy tales. Nor do I think the Creator of the Universe and all things would want to subject his creations to the kind of horrendous torture you and your kind believe in.

And for all your religious talk, I bet I am a better person than you are. But you don't see me acting all holier than though, while claiming that other people, for which I don't know one piece of information about, will be going after they die. Grow up bro and enjoy life. Quit hiding behind your religion. You'll end up missing out on so much that life has to offer that isn't in your book of myths.
 01-04-2013, 03:52 PMaway - #15
360crazy 7 heat pts

d 
space
$2,418 | 0
All god's creations tho. I don't see a need to debate with you guys.

Your going to hell, that's just what I believe. sorry
Of course a little bit of simple logic and critical thinking would repel u from the religion.

eXplains ur evil thinking...of course.

Last edited by 360crazy; 01-04-2013 at 04:08 PM..
 01-04-2013, 05:01 PMaway - #16
nightmare 397 heat pts397

d 
space
$12,077 | POWERFUL
god created the fossils.........

Everything has to come from something, unless that something is an omnipotent being. You atheist are so ignorant to reason and logic that you stoop so low as to discredit the only known truth in this universe.

Shock and awed. My good book has prepared for the return, you can continue being spoon-feed lies if you want

outside of your religious texts, you cant confirm any of that.

and even then, the religious texts are fallacious
 01-04-2013, 05:01 PMaway - #17

d 
space
$38,091 | POWERFUL
Sandy continues to impress me with how incredibly illogical and unintelligent he is
 01-04-2013, 05:03 PMaway - #18
nightmare 397 heat pts397

d 
space
$12,077 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ReppinDaBurghh
Sandy continues to impress me with how incredibly illogical and unintelligent he is
i usually a$sume that he's trolling, but is he actually sincere about this?
 01-04-2013, 05:29 PMaway - #19
360crazy 7 heat pts

d 
space
$2,418 | 0
god created the fossils.........

Everything has to come from something, unless that something is an omnipotent being. You atheist are so ignorant to reason and logic that you stoop so low as to discredit the only known truth in this universe.

Shock and awed. My good book has prepared for the return, you can continue being spoon-feed lies if you want
So the universe can't be omnipotent?
 01-04-2013, 05:50 PMaway - #20
Freemind 41 heat pts41

d 
space
$8,868 | POWERFUL
100,000,000,000 (planets) x 300,000,000,000 (galaxies in visible universe)

30 seckstillion planets possibly, and that's just what we can see.

Plus galaxies closer to the edge our visible universe have been around significantly longer.

Earth has been here for like 6 billion years... Yet the universe is 13 billion years old. What we can't/never will see is was really is crazy in my opinion.

Last edited by Freemind; 01-04-2013 at 06:51 PM..

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
NBA WC 1ST ROUND-Portland Trailblazer (5) @ Houston Rockets ..
1703 comments
NBA Official Washington Wizards(5) vs Chicago Bulls(4) First..
687 comments
NBA Pero Had The Pacers Shook (Bout That Life) (pic)
71 comments
  Young Thug Finally Admits To Being Gay:"broke Up ...
New reply 35 minutes ago - 132 comments - by YSPromoshunz
 NBA Eastern Conference First Round: (2) Miami Heat (54-27)...
New reply 1 hour ago - 1173 comments - by Kobane
 Image(s) inside Mother Ordered To Cover Her Cle@vage On Family Trip To...
New reply 52 minutes ago - 72 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 NBA Jordan Finally Takes Picture With Chamillionaire (pic)
New reply 1 hour ago - 81 comments - by Dray
 Image(s) inside [chi Wire] Chief Keef Claiming His Old Hood Again? #400
New reply 55 minutes ago - 143 comments - by sdot216
 Image(s) inside These 11's Tho>>>>>
New reply 2 hours ago - 129 comments - by Edakid
 Article inside Nas' Album Sales: From "illmatic" To "l...
New reply 1 hour ago - 87 comments - by dead or alive
 NBA Eastern Conference 1st Round: #3 Toronto Raptors (48-3...
New reply 2 hours ago - 1504 comments - by maxnn

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,705 fans of BX | none new today 4,650 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.