Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now popular now #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

Jan 4 - 100 Billion Alien Planets Fill Our Milky Way Galaxy: Study

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
83 viewing
 Image inside Kendrick Not Happy With Sales?  
101 comments
most viewed right now
58 viewing
 NBA Kevin Love awkwardly videobombs Lebron. Lebron is not ..
22 comments

top in section
19 viewing
 NBA LeBron No Headband needed
top in sports
top in section
32 viewing
Mar 26 - BREAKING: Co-pilot made 'deliberate attempt' to cras..
top in news

people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  
 
 

let em know » Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 Jan 4 - 100 Billion Alien Planets Fill Our Milky Way Galaxy: Study
Unread 01-04-2013, 01:04 AMJoined Jan 2012 - away - #1
3597 pageviews
51 comments


GoldRush 59 heat pts59 space
avatar space
Dream Team
space
$1,794 | POWERFUL

[pic - click to view]




Our Milky Way galaxy is home to at least 100 billion alien planets, and possibly many more, a new study suggests.

"It's a staggering number, if you think about it," lead author Jonathan Swift, of Caltech in Pasadena, said in a statement. "Basically there's one of these planets per star."

Swift and his colleagues arrived at their estimate after studying a five-planet system called Kepler-32, which lies about 915 light-years from Earth. The five worlds were detected by NASA's Kepler Space Telescope, which flags the tiny brightness dips caused when exoplanets cross their star's face from the instrument's perspective.

The Kepler-32 planets orbit an M dwarf, a type of star that is smaller and cooler than our sun. M dwarfs are the most common star in the Milky Way, accouting for about 75 percent of the galaxy's 100 billion or so stars, researchers said.

Further, the five Kepler-32 worlds are similar in size to Earth and orbit quite close to their parent star, making them typical of the planets Kepler has spotted around other M dwarfs. So the Kepler-32 system should be representative of many of the galaxy's planets, scientists said.

"I usually try not to call things 'Rosetta stones,' but this is as close to a Rosetta stone as anything I've seen," said co-author John Johnson, also of Caltech. "It's like unlocking a language that we're trying to understand — the language of planet formation."

Kepler can detect planetary systems only if they're oriented edge-on to the telescope; otherwise, the instrument won't observe any star-dimming planetary transits. So the researchers calculated the odds that an M-dwarf system in the Milky Way would have this orientation, then combined that with the number of such systems Kepler is able to detect to come up with their estimate of 100 billion exoplanets.

The team considered only planets orbiting close to M dwarfs; their analysis didn't include outer planets in M-dwarf systems, or any worlds circling other types of stars. So the galaxy may actually harbor many more planets than the conservative estimate implies — perhaps 200 billion, or about two per star, Swift said.

The new analysis confirms three of the five Kepler-32 planets (the other two had been confirmed previously). The Kepler-32 worlds have diameters ranging from 0.8 to 2.7 times that of Earth, and all of them orbit within 10 million miles (16 million kilometers) of their star. For comparison, Earth circles the sun at an average distance of 93 million miles (150 million km).

Because the Kepler-32 star is smaller and less luminous than our sun, the five planets are likely not as heat-blasted as their tight orbits might imply. In fact, the outermost planet in the system appears to lie in the habitable zone, a range of distances that could support the existence of liquid water on a world's system.

The new analysis also suggests that the Kepler-32 planets originally formed farther away from the star and then migrated closer in over time, researchers said.

Several pieces of evidence point toward this conclusion. For example, the team estimated that the five Kepler-32 worlds coalesced from material containing about as much mass as three Jupiters. But models suggest that this much gas and dust cannot be squeezed into the small area circumscribed by the planets' current orbits, researchers said.

"You look in detail at the architecture of this very special planetary system, and you're forced into saying these planets formed farther out and moved in," Johnson said.

The new study was published today (Jan. 2) in The Astrophysical Journal.

[pic - click to view]





100 Billion Alien Planets Fill Our Milky Way Galaxy: Study - Yahoo! News

Last edited by GoldRush; 01-04-2013 at 01:12 AM..
Reply With Quote
The following 3 BX residents gave props to GoldRush (Sent To 9,425 Subscribers)  illathruz (01-04-2013) , HOT TOPIC  (01-04-2013) , TattooedMPsz (01-04-2013)

51 comments for "Jan 4 - 100 Billion Alien Planets Fill Our Milky Way Galaxy: Study"

- To post a comment, join the squad -


Unread 01-04-2013, 01:15 AMJoined Nov 2011 - away - #2
Phillipmcd 24 heat pts24 space
avatar space
Extraordinary
space
$1,355 | 17113849
Crazy to think about
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:03 AMJoined Jun 2005 - away - #3
Bea5T 109 heat pts109 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$18,911 | POWERFUL
go look up the hubble deep field pictures if you want an idea how much sh*t is in space.



Last edited by Bea5T; 01-04-2013 at 02:10 AM..
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 09:08 AMJoined Jan 2004 - away - #4
matelyan 20 heat pts20 space
avatar space
God's Son. Devil's nephew
space
$8,901 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Windy
good book says nothing about all these planets.


religious scholars speak of the stars and neighboring planets but none of this other stuff.


we are the only intelligent life until god tells me otherwise

just my point of view tho
A very ignorant and short sighted view. Religious scholars are just that, religious scholars. They know nothing of astronomy, astro physics and other sciences that have brought these facts to life. I don't understand how you can blindly follow a book written by people in the desert 6000 years ago but can blatantly deny scientific fact.
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 10:00 AMJoined Jun 2011 - away - #5
360crazy 7 heat pts space
avatar space
Registered User
space
$2,418 | 0
Originally Posted by Windy
good book says nothing about all these planets.


religious scholars speak of the stars and neighboring planets but none of this other stuff.


we are the only intelligent life until god tells me otherwise

just my point of view tho

Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 10:57 AMJoined Aug 2008 - away - #6
Nut-In-Honeys 9 heat pts space
avatar space
The Closer of Threads
space
$4,525 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by 360crazy

Godless devils
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 12:19 PMJoined Jan 2005 - on now - #7
TattooedMPsz 31 heat pts31 space
avatar space
Based Winston
space
$16,938 | POWERFUL
if people actually think we are the only life forms in the galaxy
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 12:26 PMJoined Apr 2005 - away - #8
ReppinDaBurghh 54 heat pts54 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$45,475 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Windy
good book says nothing about all these planets.


religious scholars speak of the stars and neighboring planets but none of this other stuff.


we are the only intelligent life until god tells me otherwise

just my point of view tho
Originally Posted by 360crazy

Originally Posted by Nut-In-Honeys
Godless devils
Look guys, three idiots.
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 12:27 PMJoined Apr 2005 - away - #9
ReppinDaBurghh 54 heat pts54 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$45,475 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by TattooedMPsz
if people actually think we are the only life forms in the galaxy
Let alone the Universe. 100-200 billion planets in our galaxy and there are hundreds of billions of galaxies.
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 01:43 PMJoined Jan 2004 - away - #10
matelyan 20 heat pts20 space
avatar space
God's Son. Devil's nephew
space
$8,901 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Windy
good book says nothing about all these planets.


religious scholars speak of the stars and neighboring planets but none of this other stuff.


we are the only intelligent life until god tells me otherwise

just my point of view tho
Your good book also says nothing about the internet, cell phones, refrigerators, or cars. Yet you still probably use and belive in all of those things. So I don't understand how you can put all your eggs in one basket, especially when the basket has been proven flawed time and time again.
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:03 PMJoined Jun 2009 - away - #11
FLA_ALL_DAY 4 heat pts space
avatar space
strugglesheets+bdbtchlife
space
$1,254 | 6512567
Originally Posted by Windy
good book says nothing about all these planets.


religious scholars speak of the stars and neighboring planets but none of this other stuff.


we are the only intelligent life until god tells me otherwise

just my point of view tho
i would literally bet my life you are wrong
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:15 PMJoined Jun 2009 - away - #12
FLA_ALL_DAY 4 heat pts space
avatar space
strugglesheets+bdbtchlife
space
$1,254 | 6512567
Originally Posted by Windy
good book says nothing about all these planets.


religious scholars speak of the stars and neighboring planets but none of this other stuff.


we are the only intelligent life until god tells me otherwise

just my point of view tho
i would literally bet my life you are wrong
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 02:20 PMJoined Apr 2004 - away - #13
Tic Toc 4 heat pts space
avatar space
Know Tha Ledge
space
$5,310 | 19786914
Originally Posted by 360crazy

This made me think about that Always Sunny episode when Mac proved that science is wrong sometimes as well....
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 03:37 PMJoined Jan 2004 - away - #14
matelyan 20 heat pts20 space
avatar space
God's Son. Devil's nephew
space
$8,901 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Windy
All god's creations tho. I don't see a need to debate with you guys.


Your going to hell, that's just what I believe. sorry
God created the universe too and all these planets as well. And I'm pretty sure that he created other intelligent life forms. But unlike you, I'm relying on fact to believe in that. Unfortunately for you though, your belief system lacks any shred of concrete evidence that could support your beliefs. And don't tell me the Bible, for that is just a really good work of fiction that man has given so much power, while failing to actually adhere to many of the positive messages it teaches.

And who are you to claim where I am going after I exit this Earth. Like most religious people you talk a lot of stupid bullsh*t and then when pressed for a debate or intellectual argument you resort to your scare tactics about how if I don't believe I will be damned for eternity and made to suffer for the rest of my Afterlife.

Newsflash friend, Hell isn't even a real place. Its made up, just like all the other nonsense you believe. There is only one true GOD and he has no religion, therefore he doesn't susbscribe to your Christian fairy tales. Nor do I think the Creator of the Universe and all things would want to subject his creations to the kind of horrendous torture you and your kind believe in.

And for all your religious talk, I bet I am a better person than you are. But you don't see me acting all holier than though, while claiming that other people, for which I don't know one piece of information about, will be going after they die. Grow up bro and enjoy life. Quit hiding behind your religion. You'll end up missing out on so much that life has to offer that isn't in your book of myths.
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 03:52 PMJoined Jun 2011 - away - #15
360crazy 7 heat pts space
avatar space
Registered User
space
$2,418 | 0
Originally Posted by Windy
All god's creations tho. I don't see a need to debate with you guys.


Your going to hell, that's just what I believe. sorry
Of course a little bit of simple logic and critical thinking would repel u from the religion.







eXplains ur evil thinking...of course.






Last edited by 360crazy; 01-04-2013 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 05:01 PMJoined Dec 2006 - away - #16
nightmare 429 heat pts429 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$13,052 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Windy
god created the fossils.........


Everything has to come from something, unless that something is an omnipotent being. You atheist are so ignorant to reason and logic that you stoop so low as to discredit the only known truth in this universe.


Shock and awed. My good book has prepared for the return, you can continue being spoon-feed lies if you want


outside of your religious texts, you cant confirm any of that.

and even then, the religious texts are fallacious
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 05:01 PMJoined Apr 2005 - away - #17
ReppinDaBurghh 54 heat pts54 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$45,475 | POWERFUL
Sandy continues to impress me with how incredibly illogical and unintelligent he is
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 05:03 PMJoined Dec 2006 - away - #18
nightmare 429 heat pts429 space
avatar space
Senior Member
space
$13,052 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ReppinDaBurghh
Sandy continues to impress me with how incredibly illogical and unintelligent he is
i usually a.ssume that he's trolling, but is he actually sincere about this?
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 05:29 PMJoined Jun 2011 - away - #19
360crazy 7 heat pts space
avatar space
Registered User
space
$2,418 | 0
Originally Posted by Windy
god created the fossils.........


Everything has to come from something, unless that something is an omnipotent being. You atheist are so ignorant to reason and logic that you stoop so low as to discredit the only known truth in this universe.


Shock and awed. My good book has prepared for the return, you can continue being spoon-feed lies if you want
So the universe can't be omnipotent?
Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 05:50 PMJoined Mar 2005 - away - #20
Freemind 41 heat pts41 space
avatar space
Freemind10
space
$8,868 | POWERFUL
100,000,000,000 (planets) x 300,000,000,000 (galaxies in visible universe)

30,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

30 s3xtillion planets possibly, and that's just what we can see.

Plus galaxies closer to the edge our visible universe have been around significantly longer.

Earth has been here for like 6 billion years... Yet the universe is 13 billion years old. What we can't/never will see is was really is crazy in my opinion.

Last edited by Freemind; 01-04-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
 

Home > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines
  
    
          join bx


 




that hot ish yesterday


most viewed right now
18 viewing
Image inside Jess Molli  
46 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
17 viewing
Image inside NEW: Amber Rose PhotoShoot In Maui 😛Ԁ..
167 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
10 viewing
Image inside Mar 25 - Video shows Goat behe@ded in kiddie pool ..
35 comments
@news
most viewed right now
10 viewing
NFL Randy Gregory fails drug test at NFL Combine, tests po..
49 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
9 viewing
Image inside Michelle Obama’s apparently bald look on TV show h..
40 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
9 viewing
Image inside So THIS ACTOR is british too?????!!!!!
49 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
7 viewing
50 Cent Is The Most Famous Snitch-J prince  
130 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
7 viewing
Image inside "Internet Forum Boxden Roasted Me for Crying MJ me..
316 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
7 viewing
NCAAB West Virginia Freshman Guarantees Win Over Kentucky
64 comments
@sports

^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |  © BX 1998-end of time.