This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jan 28 - Virginia Could Soon Refuse to Enforce Federal Gun Control

Jan 28 - Virginia Could Soon Refuse to Enforce Federal Gun Control
topic by KFrizzle - 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

With proponents of gun control emboldened and opponents of gun control embattled at the Federal level, it was probably only a matter of time before states started trying to flex their muscles over the question of any new regulations.

Last week, Wyoming fired the proverbial first shot. Texas, Mississippi and Tennessee followed soon. And now, the battle has spread to a state that President Obama himself carried: Virginia.

The Virginia Pilot reports the Virginia House of Delegates recently voted a bill out of committee that would effectively ban Virginia’s law enforcement community from enforcing any new regulations on gun rights by the Federal government.

This experiment in what looks an awful lot like the constitutionally discredited tactic of nullification, however, may be less inflammatory than it appears at first blush. The original Virginian-Pilot story suggests that Virginia’s gun rights advocates think the bill is simply a symbolic bit of posturing with no actual power:
For at least one gun enthusiast, the measure has a laudable intent that doesn’t go far enough.
“If we don’t put some teeth into it, it’ll be useless,” Mike McHugh of the Virginia Gun Owners Coalition told the committee. “I think we’re coming to a point in this country where the states are going to have to finally decide – and I hope it doesn’t end up like years ago – that we’re going to have to face down Barack Obama’s federal plantation.”
Asked what sort of “teeth” he meant, McHugh cited a proposed measure in Texas that would “put in jail any federal officer that dared to violate the sacred soil of Texas.”
So who’s right? We took a look at the bill itself, and it looks as though any alarmism over a constitutional crisis is probably unwarranted. It says something, for instance, that the bill is so short that we can post the full text:
1. § 1. Notwithstanding any contrary provision of law, no agency of the Commonwealth as defined in § 8.01-385 of the Code of Virginia, no political subdivision of the Commonwealth as defined in § 8.01-385 of the Code of Virginia, and no employee of either, acting in his official capacity, shall:
(A) knowingly aid any employee or entity of the federal government of the United States in any investigation, prosecution, detention, or arrest, nor participate in any search or seizure, relating to any, criminal, civil, or administrative restrictions on firearms, firearm magazines, ammunition, or components thereof, based on any federal statute enacted, or Executive Order or regulation issued, after December 31, 2012; or
(B) knowingly aid any employee or entity of the federal government of the United Sates in conducting, or the enforcement of any requirement for, any background check related to any intrastate sale, loan, gift, or other transfer of firearms between citizens of the Commonwealth who do not possesses any federal firearms license under 18 U.S.C. section 293.
Readers should notice an important omission in the bill: It does not specify any punishments for transgressing it. As such, law enforcement could arguably treat the bill as meaningless, symbolic dictum, and there’s no legal guarantee that any sort of repercussions would be forthcoming. Then again, the absence of teeth may be what makes the bill passable in the first place.

Virginia Could Soon Refuse to Enforce Federal Gun Control | TheBlaze.com

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

60 comments for "Jan 28 - Virginia Could Soon Refuse to Enforce Federal Gun Control"

01-28-2013, 05:03 PMaway - #2
KFrizzle 272 heat pts272

d 
space
$5,668 | POWERFUL
Power to the States.... #### the Feds!!!

This needs to be passed, just like every state needs to #### the feds w/ marijuana laws too
 01-28-2013, 05:03 PMaway - #3
Ham Rove 2032 heat pts2032

d 
space
$37,157 | POWERFUL
 01-28-2013, 09:49 PMaway - #4
youngral 

d 
space
$5,776 | 10577108
If they want to be like "#### the gun laws" then let me enjoy my reefer. That's a fair trade off VA
 01-29-2013, 05:16 AMaway - #5
Dos-effect 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$14,677 | POWERFUL
Va tech......
 01-29-2013, 09:02 AMaway - #6
Johnson4u222 4 heat pts

d 
space
$1,382 | 5551888
 01-29-2013, 11:04 AMaway - #7
getyagameup 24 heat pts24

d 
space
$4,027 | POWERFUL
good luck with this one. all this back and forth between state and fed seems to indicate that we might have civil unrest in the near future over one of these differences.
 01-29-2013, 12:34 PMaway - #8
Dos-effect 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$14,677 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by getyagameup
good luck with this one. all this back and forth between state and fed seems to indicate that we might have civil unrest in the near future over one of these differences.
All the Fed has to do is cut off that funding, see how quick these bitter redneck ####es get right.
 01-29-2013, 12:56 PMaway - #9
diggie 1 heat pts

d 
space
$475 | 3321220
Originally Posted by Dos-effect
All the Fed has to do is cut off that funding, see how quick these bitter redneck ####es get right.

You beat me to it...aint no damn way they gonna give up that cash.......and you know them red states get more of it anyway so.....
 01-29-2013, 01:10 PMaway - #10
GriffMcfly 22 heat pts22

d 
space
$3,393 | 16215301
I'm from VA these White ni##as ain't giving up they guns for ####
 01-29-2013, 01:17 PMaway - #11
.amberlamps. 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$25,236 | POWERFUL
cocaine doesn't k!ll people, taking more than your body can handle does
 01-29-2013, 01:26 PMaway - #12
slimdogg3325 1 heat pts

d 
space
$4,979 | 17670400
Originally Posted by GriffMcfly
I'm from VA these White ni##as ain't giving up they guns for ####
used to live up there when i was in army..and u got damn right

Originally Posted by S.TEX
cocaine doesn't k!ll people, taking more than your body can handle does
 01-29-2013, 03:08 PMaway - #13
marq 

d 
space
$1,332 | 5826262
Yeah, I work in VA. They love their guns. I swear they give you a conceal permit the same day you get your license.
 01-29-2013, 03:17 PMaway - #14
KFrizzle 272 heat pts272

d 
space
$5,668 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Dos-effect
They couldn't not fund a state for ignoring a gun law (which there isn't even a Fed law against AR guns yet), but be fine w/ a state ignoring a drug law...

#### would go to the Supreme Court and i don't think they would allow it...
Plus you know whoever is president and his party would lose A LOT of voters in whatever state and around the country...
 01-29-2013, 03:28 PMaway - #15
matelyan 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$8,418 | POWERFUL
Totally hypothetical question, but I got to ask:

Would anyone be willing to give up their guns for Federal legalization and acceptance of marijuana use similar to alcohol?

Not saying this could or would happen, but in the .00000001% chance Obama and Congress came out and asked “My fellow Americans, will you join me in making America safer by giving up your guns and picking up a bong?” How would you react?
 01-29-2013, 03:38 PMaway - #16
KFrizzle 272 heat pts272

d 
space
$5,668 | POWERFUL
Why would anyone give up a right, only to have a right they should already have...

also that statement about guns and bongs... ####in hilarious, but would be a huge political disaster...

"Hey lets legalize a drug, but take away means of protection"...
it would be Bad...

Last edited by KFrizzle; 01-29-2013 at 03:47 PM..
 01-29-2013, 04:40 PMaway - #17
Mr AirRic 1 heat pts

d 
space
$5,698 | 9367133
ugh... why does everything have to be a battle for these ####ing republicans. move ahead with the damn times like everyone else already
 01-29-2013, 04:44 PMaway - #18
Bizarreagain 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,156 | 1597238
Michigan is talking about doing this to.
 01-29-2013, 04:57 PMaway - #19
keen77 3 heat pts

d 
space
$2,245 | 16664566
nullification is Constitutional. States Rights over all, the Federal Govt was given powers for border control, national defense, and commerce regulation only
 01-29-2013, 05:02 PMaway - #20
KFrizzle 272 heat pts272

d 
space
$5,668 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by keen77
nullification is Constitutional. States Rights over all, the Federal Govt was given powers for border control, national defense, and commerce regulation only

ppl don't even realize these days that state are suppose to have the power. Not the fed...
our country wasn't founded on some huge central gov. That's what we fought against..

States even doin this with ObamaCare...

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Oct 30 - Apple CEO Tim Cook comes out: 'I'm proud to be gay'
74 comments
Image inside  Oct 28 - Life under Obama sucks. And these numbers pr..
74 comments
IGN Sunset Overdrive - Review Discussion
94 comments
 Image(s) inside Oct 29 - Aliens Are Real Reveals Former Area 51 Scient...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 200 comments - by Rick Ross
 Article inside Chicago Rapper Bandman Kevo Charged With With Being In...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 198 comments - by NoLastName
 NBA Norris Cole Lookin Like Robin Out Here, Wade Been Demo...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 57 comments - by Bkjj11
 Video inside This Guy Asked A Homeless Man For A Slice Of Pizza. An...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 85 comments - by YungPrinceNY
  Best Rap Album Of 2014?
New reply 3 minutes ago - 103 comments - by QB Eagles
 Video inside Post Some Videos Of Rappers Being High As Fu-k
New reply 7 minutes ago - 88 comments - by Ole-G
  How You Can Get A New Ps4 For $275
New reply 3 minutes ago - 196 comments - by SpazzOut
 NBA Miami Was Using That Fake Crowd Noise Last Night
New reply 8 minutes ago - 101 comments - by st21

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,833 fans of BX | none new today 4,799 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.