b o x d e n     |     hiphop     sports     wild'ish     games     movies     news     eyecandy     tech     gear     rides  
trending now     hot topics today     all sections     videos     pics     tracks     headlines  

Jan 28 - U.S. widower sues airlines for obese wife's de@th abroad

Jan 28 - U.S. widower sues airlines for obese wife's de@th abroad
topic by datVAkid - 01-28-2013, 07:56 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Jan 28 (Reuters) - A New York man whose wheelchair-bound, morbidly obese wife died last year after she was denied a spot on three different flights home from Europe sued the airlines on Monday for $6 million.

Vilma Soltesz, who at the time was reported to have weighed 425 pounds (193 kg), had an amputated leg and suffered from diabetes and kidney disease, news media said.

She was found dead at her vacation home in Hungary in October after several aircraft crews repeatedly failed to accommodate her size despite telling her they could do so, according to a lawsuit filed in federal court in Manhattan.

The lawsuit accused the three airlines of wrongful de@th and gross negligence.

The couple left their Bronx home in September on a Delta Air Lines plane, securing two seats for Vilma and one for her husband Janos, and arrived safely in Budapest on a vacation, according to the lawsuit.

By Oct. 2, Vilma Soltesz sought treatment at a hospital in Hungary when she fell ill, according to the lawsuit. She was released and told she could fly home but to see her doctor immediately upon her arrival, according to the lawsuit.

The pair tried to leave Budapest two weeks later on a KLM Royal Dutch Airlines flight, with accommodations similar to what they received on their flight from the United States, according to the suit. But a captain told them to disembark after Vilma Soltesz struggled to maneuver from her wheelchair into her a$signed seats, the lawsuit says.

After waiting in a Budapest airport for more than five hours, the couple drove to Prague to catch a Delta flight they were a$sured could accommodate them. But Delta did not have an adequate wheelchair to transport Vilma Soltesz to her seat, the suit added.

"The Delta flight coordinator told Janos and Vilma that Delta 'did not have access to a skylift' to get Vilma onto the aircraft from the rear, and that there was nothing more Delta could do for them," the lawsuit stated.

Later, on Oct. 22, as several medics and firef!ghters helped her board a Lufthansa flight, the captain told the couple they had to disembark because "other passengers need to catch a connecting flight and cannot be delayed further," the lawsuit says.

"Exhausted and feeling ill," Vilma Soltesz went to bed after the couple drove back to their vacation home in Veszprem, Hungary, the lawsuit says. On Oct. 24, Janos found her dead, the lawsuit says.

A Delta Air Lines spokesman said the airline had not been served with the lawsuit. Officials with Royal Dutch Airlines and Lufthansa did not immediately respond to a request for comment. An attorney for Soltesz did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

U.S. widower sues airlines for obese wife's de@th abroad | Reuters

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

9 comments for "Jan 28 - U.S. widower sues airlines for obese wife's de@th abroad"

01-28-2013, 10:48 PMaway - #2
WhoNextWithPlex 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$7,283 | POWERFUL
400 pounds with a severe kidney disease.....####ing airlines
 01-29-2013, 09:41 AMonline - #3
MysticKJ 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$12,868 | POWERFUL
not the airlines fault she is morbidly obese and needs special accommodations...she couldn't get out of a wheelchair and into a seat, how the #### does she expect to be able to fly?

not the airlines job to a$sist a 400+lb individual into their seat, big a$s won't be falling on me...

i'm thinking the couple only mentioned she was obese...and didn't mention she can't walk and only has one leg...

her de@th was due to her obesity...her obesity caused her illness and her obesity prevented her from being able to receive treatment in a timely fashion...
 01-29-2013, 01:15 PMaway - #4
JohnDoe 127 heat pts127

d 
space
$9,164 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by MysticKJ
not the airlines fault she is morbidly obese and needs special accommodations...she couldn't get out of a wheelchair and into a seat, how the #### does she expect to be able to fly?
She was obviously paying for them to take care of her. They have a 'Skylift' for situations like this at the airport. If you pay for them to do something they need to get that job done.

not the airlines job to a$sist a 400+lb individual into their seat, big a$s won't be falling on me...
So when did people who worked in the hospitality and tourism industry not have to care about their customers? I think the care they show their customers is why they are still in business most the time...

i'm thinking the couple only mentioned she was obese...and didn't mention she can't walk and only has one leg...

her de@th was due to her obesity...her obesity caused her illness and her obesity prevented her from being able to receive treatment in a timely fashion...
This is some stupid #### to say. We all will die because of something we did, her de@th just happened to be because she had no will power. I dont think grandstanding about her de@th makes you seem logical.
 01-29-2013, 01:33 PMaway - #5
matelyan 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$8,503 | POWERFUL
For once I'm with the airlines. I hope they don't have to pay a single dime.
 01-29-2013, 02:01 PMaway - #6
nights bright 5 heat pts

d 
space
$477 | 3571403
"She was released and told she could fly home but to see her doctor immediately upon her arrival, according to the lawsuit."

"The pair tried to leave Budapest two weeks later on a KLM Royal Dutch Airlines flight"

Maybe they shouldnt have waited around for 2 weeks to try and leave....
 01-29-2013, 03:30 PMonline - #7
MysticKJ 28 heat pts28

d 
space
$12,868 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by JohnDoe
She was obviously paying for them to take care of her. They have a 'Skylift' for situations like this at the airport. If you pay for them to do something they need to get that job done.
they didn't have access to the 'skylift', doesn't say they refused access to it...perhaps the 'skylift' was being used elsewhere...

I went to BurgerFi one day before closing...and they didn't have any more fresh cut fries...

So when did people who worked in the hospitality and tourism industry not have to care about their customers? I think the care they show their customers is why they are still in business most the time...
you're ignoring a huge difference with this customer when you try to lump them all together...
Vilma Soltesz struggled to maneuver from her wheelchair into her a$signed seats, the lawsuit says.
doesn't sound like anyone helped, as it points out Vilma struggled (not the crew struggled) to get into the seat...if the crew were to help and she were to fall during the help session she would probably sue anyways...there may even be a protocol against flight attendants physically engaging in 'dangerous' situations to prevent lawsuits...

let me know how many flight attendants you've seen in your life that are physically able to help a 400+lb individual with one leg get into their seat...

This is some stupid #### to say. We all will die because of something we did, her de@th just happened to be because she had no will power. I dont think grandstanding about her de@th makes you seem logical.
I didn't post that gif to seem logical, I posted that gif because she brought it on herself as you said and paid the consequence for it...as in don't seek monetary damages against the airline...and we don't all die because of something we did; some things are out of an individual's control...

as several medics and firef!ghters helped her board a Lufthansa flight, the captain told the couple they had to disembark because "other passengers need to catch a connecting flight and cannot be delayed further," the lawsuit says.
they delayed the plane so first responders can a$sist her...you cannot allow other passengers to miss connecting flights for ONE person...

might I add that the first responders a$sisted and STILL were not able to get the job done, what the hell was the crew supposed to if EMTs can't do it...
 01-29-2013, 04:27 PMaway - #8
JohnDoe 127 heat pts127

d 
space
$9,164 | POWERFUL
they didn't have access to the 'skylift', doesn't say they refused access to it...perhaps the 'skylift' was being used elsewhere...

I went to BurgerFi one day before closing...and they didn't have any more fresh cut fries...

you're ignoring a huge difference with this customer when you try to lump them all together...

doesn't sound like anyone helped, as it points out Vilma struggled (not the crew struggled) to get into the seat...if the crew were to help and she were to fall during the help session she would probably sue anyways...there may even be a protocol against flight attendants physically engaging in 'dangerous' situations to prevent lawsuits...

let me know how many flight attendants you've seen in your life that are physically able to help a 400+lb individual with one leg get into their seat...

I didn't post that gif to seem logical, I posted that gif because she brought it on herself as you said and paid the consequence for it...as in don't seek monetary damages against the airline...and we don't all die because of something we did; some things are out of an individual's control...

they delayed the plane so first responders can a$sist her...you cannot allow other passengers to miss connecting flights for ONE person...

might I add that the first responders a$sisted and STILL were not able to get the job done, what the hell was the crew supposed to if EMTs can't do it...
Agree to disagree....or we can blame Obama

01-29-2013, 04:32 PMaway - #9
matelyan 19 heat pts19

d 
space
$8,503 | POWERFUL
This reminds me of this article I read recently:

Shaming fat people into losing weight is the only way to solve obesity epidemic, leading health academic claims

01-29-2013, 06:10 PMonline - #10
lostkauze 30 heat pts30

d 
space
$6,812 | POWERFUL
I think yall dudes is overlooking one important factor. That chick weighed over 400lbs...with only 1 ####ing leg?? HOLY ####

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (Official T..
100 comments
Best Buy Black Friday online started, Gamestops too
74 comments
NFL Ray Rice Has Won His Appeal
79 comments
  How Is Dej Loaf Famous? (might Be The Worst Performanc...
New reply 28 seconds ago - 260 comments - by 1LynguisticMind
 NCAAF Cfb Week 14 Thread #rivalryweekandplayoffs
New reply 3 minutes ago - 155 comments - by CadillacVyse
 Video inside Nov 27 - New Video Footage Of Darrien Hunt, 22 Yr Old ...
New reply 47 seconds ago - 82 comments - by Ham Rove
 NBA Melo Feeling Regretful : "chicago Was The Perfect...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 84 comments - by theFREAK
 Image(s) inside Tyler The Creator Disses Eminem/shadyxv
New reply 2 minutes ago - 78 comments - by mdemaz
  Q-tip Announces Lil Wayne Has Joined The Zulu Nation
New reply 14 minutes ago - 79 comments - by Danny M
 Image(s) inside Congrats To Young Thug And His New Fiancé @yeahlano!
New reply 3 minutes ago - 104 comments - by keejee
 Image(s) inside Bizzy Bone Posts Pic Of "notorious Thugs" St...
New reply 22 minutes ago - 79 comments - by The Bully

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,865 fans of BX and 1 new today 4,815 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.