This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jan 28 - Study: Nearly half are overqualified for their jobs

Jan 28 - Study: Nearly half are overqualified for their jobs
topic by CadillacVyse - 01-28-2013, 07:23 AM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

USA TODAY

.​Nearly half of working Americans with college degrees are in jobs for which they're overqualified, a new study out Monday suggests.

The study, released by the non-profit Center for College Affordability and Productivity, says the trend is likely to continue for newly minted college graduates over the next decade.

"It is almost the new normal," says lead author Richard Vedder, an Ohio University economist and founder of the center, based in Washington.

The number of Americans whose highest academic degree was a bachelor's grew 25% to 41 million from 2002 to 2012, statistics released last week from the U.S. Census Bureau show.

The number with a$sociate's degrees increased 31%, while the number of Americans for whom the highest level of education attainment was a master's or doctorate degree grew fastest of all 45% and 43%, respectively.

Earnings in 2011 averaged $59,415 for people with any earnings ages 25 and older whose highest degree was a bachelor's degree, and $32,493 for people with a high school diploma but no college, the Census data show.

Vedder, whose study is based on 2010 Labor Department data, says the problem is the stock of college graduates in the workforce (41.7 million) in 2010 was larger than the number of jobs requiring a college degree (28.6 million).

That, he says, helps explain why 15% of taxi drivers in 2010 had bachelor's degrees vs. 1% in 1970. Among retail sales clerks, 25% had a bachelor's degree in 2010. Less than 5% did in 1970.

"There are going to be an awful lot of disappointed people because a lot of them are going to end up as janitors," Vedder says. In 2010, 5% of janitors, 115,520 workers, had bachelor's degrees, his data show.

Matt Moberg, who provides training for the Cleaning Management Institute in Latham, N.Y., says the percentage of degree-holding janitors was probably smaller before the recession, but those with four-year degrees likely are business owners or workers in online degree programs.

Vedder's findings are at odds with a report released last week by a pro-business public policy organization that seeks to boost financial aid for low-income students.

"Right now you can look around the world and you can see a lot of high-tech, high-value high-productivity jobs that we are not doing in this country, in part because our country does not have the requisite skills," says Joe Minarik, of the Washington-based Committee for Economic Development. Foregoing college "is not what we should aspire to."

Latest News Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

29 comments for "Jan 28 - Study: Nearly half are overqualified for their jobs"

01-28-2013, 08:01 AMonline - #2
phantomnation 755 heat pts755

d 
space
$1,760 | POWERFUL
 01-28-2013, 08:38 AMaway - #3
nightmare 411 heat pts411

d 
space
$12,577 | POWERFUL
 01-28-2013, 08:39 AMonline - #4
astarisborn 

d 
space
$597 | 3040372
One of the biggest SCAMS in the word, COLLEGE!!!
 01-28-2013, 08:43 AMaway - #5
Kadillac87 194 heat pts194

d 
space
$13,754 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by astarisborn
One of the biggest SCAMS in the word, COLLEGE!!!
Nah. There are many ways to get an affordable or free education without becoming a slave to debt.

People make bad choices and want to blame their lack of foresight on others.
 01-28-2013, 09:06 AMaway - #6
pnoi89 2 heat pts

d 
space
$7,323 | POWERFUL
Unfortunately, not everyone can have the luxurious, high-paying job all these college graduates seek. Someone has to be the custodian. Someone has to be the one who flips patties. The world's all about the survival of the fittest.
 01-28-2013, 09:35 AMaway - #7
Gatorfan2611 8 heat pts

d 
space
$3,147 | 16090161
Originally Posted by Kadillac87
Nah. There are many ways to get an affordable or free education without becoming a slave to debt.

like having a parent who pays for it
 01-28-2013, 09:43 AMaway - #8
Jinusean 5 heat pts

d 
space
$3,072 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Aurora
Word. Capitalism.

If you really hate working at McDonald's for min wage, you need to get your priorities straight.
True and then there's those who like what they do but have a side hustle in case things go south at their current job.
 01-28-2013, 09:44 AMaway - #9
.amberlamps. 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$24,938 | POWERFUL
lol, tech is replacing everybody. It's gonna get uglier in a decade or two.
 01-28-2013, 11:42 PMaway - #10
fuck_the_east 

d 
space
$406 | 959563
its crazy the bull#### jobs that want a college degree.
 01-28-2013, 11:55 PMaway - #11
Just BizNis 37 heat pts37

d 
space
$5,224 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jinusean
True and then there's those who like what they do but have a side hustle in case things go south at their current job.
THIS

RBE is the only way to go
 01-29-2013, 12:50 AMaway - #12
cankstoochie 35 heat pts35

d 
space
$10,763 | POWERFUL
#### college, #### debt and #### the government.

we need to start a revolution
 01-29-2013, 01:02 AMaway - #13
fit2bboss 7 heat pts

d 
space
$3,646 | 7260631
degrees, all it does is make your resume look good. making you more qualified for the job.
 01-29-2013, 04:47 AMaway - #14
C. Carter 9 heat pts

d 
space
$904 | 4405118
reminds me of that skit Kanye had on College Dropout.
 01-29-2013, 05:20 AMaway - #15
youdug 152 heat pts152

d 
space
$3,465 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by cankstoochie
#### college, #### debt and #### the government.

we need to start a revolution
and k!ll off all the morons like you so you cant replicate.
yeah #### education. thats great.
theres tons of employers that will pay for you to go to school.
i just got in with UPMC and im going back to school for sports medicine.
completely paid for.
in fact, ill be getting paid by them to go to school.
my girl works for them and has been going to school now for more than a year to be a physicians a$sistant and after they pay for the classes she keeps the extra $500 UPMC gives after books are paid every semester.
 01-29-2013, 05:26 AMaway - #16
stlcardinals19 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$12,261 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Kadillac87

I can def agree here. There are those who go to college thinking all it takes is a degree, and you're off to prosperity, but you have to do more than just go to classes, esp. if you're pursuing a liberal arts degree like I did. I'm a History major, and a Spanish minor and all I did was internships, networking through my History dept and civic engineering projects(tutored homeless kids and organized a 5k run for Veterans are some of the few I did), and I was able to attract the attention of the Smithsonian Institution(my dream job really), and now I'm interning there, while they help pay for my Master's degree. Just gotta work your tail off and constantly yell loud enough till someone stops to see what you're all about.
 01-29-2013, 07:14 AMaway - #17
Down-N-H-Town 5 heat pts

d 
space
$2,578 | 9069867
"There are going to be an awful lot of disappointed people because a lot of them are going to end up as janitors," Vedder says. In 2010, 5% of janitors, 115,520 workers, had bachelor's degrees, his data show.
I'm fortunate that I'm doing something with my Degree, but it sucks to have so much debt. It's all a system and one day we will all be making over $100,000/yr, but burgers are gonna start costing $20. People are realizing that the American Dream is a joke and you can obtain status and money if you work hard without a degree. I still want to get my Masters, but it's for personal reasons.
 01-29-2013, 07:19 AMaway - #18
Down-N-H-Town 5 heat pts

d 
space
$2,578 | 9069867
Originally Posted by stlcardinals19
I can def agree here. There are those who go to college thinking all it takes is a degree, and you're off to prosperity, but you have to do more than just go to classes, esp. if you're pursuing a liberal arts degree like I did. I'm a History major, and a Spanish minor and all I did was internships, networking through my History dept and civic engineering projects(tutored homeless kids and organized a 5k run for Veterans are some of the few I did), and I was able to attract the attention of the Smithsonian Institution(my dream job really), and now I'm interning there, while they help pay for my Master's degree. Just gotta work your tail off and constantly yell loud enough till someone stops to see what you're all about.
Yeah the key to success with a degree is experience. There are few jobs out there that will hire you based on your degree alone. I went to college, dropped out for a few semesters, started working in the banking industry, graduated, and was able to find a nice job with my degree b/c of the experience I have. The employers want to see that you are willing to invest into your education. That you are capable of completing. Even if your degree is in Liberal Arts, I've seen people get good jobs in Business b/c of their degree. Like you said, it's about networking too.
 01-29-2013, 07:22 AMaway - #19
Rico23 15 heat pts15

d 
space
$31,587 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by stlcardinals19
 01-29-2013, 07:28 AMaway - #20
dj X 14 heat pts14

d 
space
$12,629 | POWERFUL
Live long & prosper, fellas.

Last edited by dj X; 01-29-2013 at 01:39 PM..

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Image inside  last of us remastered new taunt
57 comments
NFL Justin Blackmon Arrest Video - "This Is Gonna Be a Big D..
81 comments
MLB Happy Birthday To The Greatest Baseball Player Who Ever ..
60 comments
  9th Wonder Keepin' It 100 On Twitter !
New reply 1 minute ago - 75 comments - by Blue Smoke
 NBA Anthony Davis Putting On That Weight (pic)
New reply 16 minutes ago - 104 comments - by J
 NBA Sources: They About To Get Stephen A Smith Out Of Here
New reply 8 minutes ago - 334 comments - by 44wade
 Image(s) inside Which Rapper Has The Hottest Chick In The Game?
New reply 18 minutes ago - 56 comments - by Ari Gold
 MMA Jones-gustafsson 2 Postponed; Dc Gets Title Shot
New reply 8 minutes ago - 52 comments - by Ricky Towel
 Video inside Chanel West Coast Deleting Instagram Comments Backstag...
New reply 21 minutes ago - 52 comments - by Danny M
 Image(s) inside How Smart Are You Bx Niggas!
New reply 14 minutes ago - 117 comments - by kingdavid22
 Image(s) inside Chief Keef Sosa Glo In The 2st Grade
New reply 53 minutes ago - 91 comments - by inetol

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,755 fans of BX | none new today 4,750 following and 4 new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.