This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jan 26 - Atheist? Not If You Want To Finish High School in Arizona

Jan 26 - Atheist? Not If You Want To Finish High School in Arizona
topic by RAZAH CUTS - 01-26-2013, 05:52 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

We all know that this country was founded on religious freedom, but we also know that many Christians of the nation wish to rewrite history to make it seem as if we were founded upon Judeo-Christian values. Not so. The Treaty of Tripoli says, and I quote:

“The United States government is in no way founded upon the Christian religion.”

But tell that to Arizona Republicans, who have introduced a bill that would require high school graduates to take an oath that includes the words “so help me God.” In other words, if you’re an atheist, you have to proclaim belief in God to graduate high school. Unbelievable in 2013, in a country that was founded upon religious freedom, right?

Here is the oath:

I, _______, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; So help me God.

The bill, House Bill 2467, would violate the Constitution by requiring a religious declaration to graduate. Hell, Pentecostal and Jehovah’s Witness students can’t even say the Pledge of Allegiance due to religious liberties, and you cannot legally make them do it. How the hell do they expect to make something like this stand?

Now, it is bad enough that they even have this. It is a complete waste of time. This is the work of quite a few GOP legislators: Bob Thorpe, Sonny Borrelli, Carl Seel, T.J. Shope, Jeff Dial, David Livingston, Chester Crandell, and Steve Smith. Aren’t they supposed to be making school better, or something? Like, imparting more knowledge? Memorize their names, folks. They are the ones wishing to take away your religious freedom.

The thing is, we aren’t taking oaths of office when we graduate high school. We are taking courses that we pass to show we have a certain amount of knowledge to gain a rite of passage, and to show we know certain things. I repeat, we are not taking an oath of office. But that isn’t the point. Hell, even if we were, it is unconstitutional to have a religious test for public office. So, Republicans, guess what? On this one, your argument is invalid. Get a life. You cannot and will not sneak fundamentalist Christianity into public schools and essentially make being an atheist illegal. It is against the Constitution you all claim to uphold so righteously.
Atheist? Not If You Want To Finish High School in Arizona | Addicting Info

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

90 comments for "Jan 26 - Atheist? Not If You Want To Finish High School in Arizona"

01-26-2013, 06:00 PMaway - #2
Jesszman 2182 heat pts2182

d 
space
$29,556 | POWERFUL
people will find anything to cry about these days.
 01-26-2013, 07:38 PMaway - #3
Games Addict 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$1,309 | 0
this is a legit issue brah... #### religion and #### god too

there should be no mandatory references to God in any school unless its some christian schule...

since it is after all a secular nation...

btw jezzs, here's a tip. You should always keep a bible in your bathroom just in case you run out of toilet paper...
 01-26-2013, 07:55 PMaway - #4
noverum 

d 
space
$1,680 | 16751754
Originally Posted by Games Addict
btw jezzs, here's a tip. You should always keep a bible in your bathroom just in case you run out of toilet paper...

Even as a fictional text, the bible is a beautifully poetic work of literature that imparts timeless wisdom through its parables and proverbs. Show some respect.
 01-26-2013, 07:58 PMaway - #5
Games Addict 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$1,309 | 0
Twilight >>> The Bible

that's my word!

edit*

I can't show the bible respect. Just can't. Its full of too much bull#### that too many people take literally...
 01-26-2013, 08:28 PMaway - #6
Ham Rove 2034 heat pts2034

d 
space
$37,181 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by noverum
Even as a fictional text, the bible is a beautifully poetic work of literature that imparts timeless wisdom through its parables and proverbs. Show some respect.
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46)

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21)

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)
love that poetic wisdom

Last edited by Ham Rove; 01-26-2013 at 08:30 PM..
 01-26-2013, 08:37 PMaway - #7
bony 36 heat pts36

d 
space
$2,105 | POWERFUL
separation of church and state... that policy is unconstitutional
 01-26-2013, 09:19 PMaway - #8
persuazion 1 heat pts

d 
space
$14,963 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jesszman
This is a big deal......the more that God is pushed into our schools and courtrooms, the more this nation will be held back from advancing to a nation that is independent from all religions. If you believe in God I'm sure this in no big deal....if not then you can see its just another way of forcing beliefs onto others.
 01-26-2013, 09:20 PMaway - #9
persuazion 1 heat pts

d 
space
$14,963 | POWERFUL
Have you read the bible? Which parts in there are "beautiful" to you?
 01-26-2013, 09:20 PMaway - #10
Gatorfan2611 8 heat pts

d 
space
$3,299 | 16918308
Originally Posted by NoTitleSince73
love that poetic wisdom
 01-26-2013, 09:21 PMaway - #11
noverum 

d 
space
$1,680 | 16751754
Originally Posted by NoTitleSince73
love that poetic wisdom
The bible is a compilation of dozens of books spanning thousands of pages. Some passages will be frozen in redundant social contexts, and some of those will appear insidious or immoral in the 21st century. For every heinous or questionable quote from it that you can post, there are twenty more that enlighten and that are worthy of respect for both their intellectual and artistic value.

Blind hatred is as ignorant as blind faith. Modern atheists behave more and more like religions zealots; with no respect for their opposition or anything a$sociated with them. The bible is the product of minds far greater than that of your average atheist blogger; but the blogger's work will be applauded, the bible treated like trash - or toilet paper.

The fact that I'm defending the bible is ####ing ridiculous to me, by the way. I spent years attacking it as a teenager; but to act like it's not respectable as a stand-alone piece of literature is bull####.

Last edited by noverum; 01-26-2013 at 09:25 PM..
 01-26-2013, 09:28 PMaway - #12
persuazion 1 heat pts

d 
space
$14,963 | POWERFUL
The bible is a compilation of dozens of books spanning thousands of pages. Some passages will be frozen in redundant social contexts, and some of those will appear insidious or immoral in the 21st century. For every heinous or questionable quote from it that you can post, there are twenty more that enlighten and that should be respected for both their intellectual and artistic value.

Blind hatred is as ignorant as blind faith. Modern atheists behave more and more like religions zealots; with no respect for their opposition or anything a$sociated with them. The bible is the product of minds far greater than that of your average atheist blogger; but the blogger's work will be applauded, the bible treated like trash - or toilet paper.

The fact that I'm defending the bible is ####ing ridiculous to me, by the way. I spent years attacking it as a teenager; but to act like it's not respectable as a stand-alone piece of literature is bull####.
My dude.......Grimm's Fairytales is better then the bible. You get the same moral messages from their storys but without all the cruelty and intolerance that the bible teaches. Not to mention people don't use Grimm's Fairytales as a historically accurate book that tells the earth's origins and the history of mankind.
 01-26-2013, 09:29 PMaway - #13
Ham Rove 2034 heat pts2034

d 
space
$37,181 | POWERFUL
The bible is a compilation of dozens of books spanning thousands of pages. Some passages will be frozen in redundant social contexts, and some of those will appear insidious or immoral in the 21st century. For every heinous or questionable quote from it that you can post, there are twenty more that enlighten and that should be respected for both their intellectual and artistic value.

Blind hatred is as ignorant as blind faith. Modern atheists behave more and more like religions zealots; with no respect for their opposition or anything a$sociated with them. The bible is the product of minds far greater than that of your average atheist blogger; but the blogger will be applauded, the bible treated like trash - or toilet paper.

The fact that I'm defending the bible is ####ing ridiculous to me, by the way. I spent years attacking it as a teenager - but to act like it's not respectable as a stand-alone piece is bull####.
The bible is a fable filled book written by desert dwellers thousands of years ago. You don't have to be some intellectual to see that,and yes once in a while in the bible they will preach something that is good, and lots of people should follow. but then on the next page there is guidelines for owning slaves....soooo yeah. and if you think defending the bible is ridiculous, why are you doing it?
 01-26-2013, 09:33 PMaway - #14
noverum 

d 
space
$1,680 | 16751754
Originally Posted by persuazion
My dude.......Grimm's Fairytales is better then the bible. You get the same moral messages
The bible contains ancient texts. You're referring to a book that was written in the 19th century. The fact that they're artistically and intellectually comparable is astonishing in itself.
 01-26-2013, 09:47 PMaway - #15
HHS 1 heat pts

d 
space
$5,244 | POWERFUL
If you want to talk ancient texts, Nicomachean Ethics is a much more worthwhile read than the Bible.
 01-26-2013, 11:02 PMaway - #16
cubes 2 heat pts

d 
space
$8,788 | POWERFUL
Atheists get mad
 01-27-2013, 12:17 AMaway - #17
BRonin357 1 heat pts

d 
space
$4,339 | 16674283
Please STFU and stick to the depths of the games section you ####tard!

To graduate school you should not have to recite a ####in oath! Period!
 01-27-2013, 12:43 AMaway - #18
Ms_Krizzi_86 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$4,918 | POWERFUL
I am not atheist nor religious (have my own label) yet if you are a religious or "god" fearing "christ" following manand you were told to take a oath and at the end it said "so help me devil" how pissed would you be?

At the end of the day, it is really about respecting your opponent sort to speak...and letting people have their "freedom" of choice in religion or lack there of.
 01-27-2013, 05:53 AMaway - #19
ManWithoutFear! 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Games Addict
this is a legit issue brah... #### religion and #### god too

there should be no mandatory references to God in any school unless its some christian schule...

since it is after all a secular nation...

I'm not religious by any means but this where you muthafuhkas lose me. All this fuhk god! Fuhk religion ####. You cant say no #### like that to any of the ni##as I know who be on their religious #### (especially the muslims cats) they'll slap your fuhkin' head off your shoulders. You can't just quietly be an atheist?

Is there any particular reason though WHY you're this hostile toward God/religion and all that?
Were your###d by a Priest as a kid?
 01-27-2013, 05:55 AMaway - #20
ManWithoutFear! 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Ms_Krizzi_86
I am not atheist nor religious (have my own label) yet if you are a religious or "god" fearing "christ" following manand you were told to take a oath and at the end it said "so help me devil" how pissed would you be?

At the end of the day, it is really about respecting your opponent sort to speak...and letting people have their "freedom" of choice in religion or lack there of.
One of the realest posts I've read.

Props

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Article inside  Xbox One's struggles are traceable to one bad decision
72 comments
Microsoft Investigating Xbox Owners for Fraudulently Refunding ..
81 comments
NFL Dallas Cowboys fans are losing their minds
57 comments
 Image(s) inside Nicki Minaj's Boyfriend Responds To Drake & Wayne ...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 105 comments - by Frankybaby
 NBA Official Thread: Cleveland Cavaliers Vs Chicago Bull
New reply 54 minutes ago - 1374 comments - by Akira Son Bio
 Image(s) inside Nas Gettin Sucked Off By Madonna In The Studio (pic)
New reply 10 minutes ago - 129 comments - by PyrexVisionary
 NFL Halloween Costume
New reply 57 minutes ago - 65 comments - by Frasier
 Article inside Chicago Rapper Bandman Kevo Charged With With Being In...
New reply 14 minutes ago - 217 comments - by NoLastName
 Video inside Daylyt Video In A Nice Pink Dress And Thot Wear Dissin...
New reply 59 minutes ago - 53 comments - by Star
 Image(s) inside Pic Of Kidd Kidd Ridin Around In Niissan
New reply 33 minutes ago - 57 comments - by ajeana
 audio inside Nas - The Season (full Version)
New reply 1 hour ago - 120 comments - by MANNYSOSA

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,834 fans of BX | none new today 4,801 following and 2 new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.