Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now most viewers #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

Jan 25 - Gatorade to remove controversial ingredient

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
200 viewing
 Article inside Meet the actual illuminati controlling the music industry
127 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
134 viewing
 Rick Ross Has Solidified His Status as a Hip Hop Legend
105 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
106 viewing
 Video inside Man Not Able To Get Out Of Parking Spot So He Does What Anyone Would Do
31 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
84 viewing
 Video inside Supposedly Miserable Man Frolics With His Supposed 19-Inch Pen1s
14 comments
@misc
people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)

let em know Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 Jan 25 - Gatorade to remove controversial ingredient
Unread 3 years agoclass of '05 - away - #1
3655 pageviews
31 comments

phantomnation 1238 heat pts1238 space
space
$2,789 | POWERFUL

[pic - click to view]

NEW YORK (AP) -- PepsiCo Inc. is removing a controversial ingredient from its Gatorade sports drink in response to customer complaints.

Molly Carter, a spokeswoman for the company, said Friday that the removal of brominated vegetable oil was in the works over the past year after the company began "hearing rumblings" from consumers about the ingredient. She said it wasn't a reaction to a recent petition on Change.org by a Mississippi teenager.

The ingredient is also used in other drinks, including some flavors of Powerade made by rival Coca-Cola Co. The Atlanta-based company did not say whether it would remove the ingredient from Powerade as well but noted that it takes customer concerns into account when looking for ways to improve its drinks.

Ingredients in food and drinks have come under greater scrutiny in recent years, helped by the ability of consumers to mobilize online. The petition on Change.org noted that brominated vegetable oil has been patented as a flame retardant and is banned in Japan and the European Union. It had more than 200,000 supporters Friday.

For Gatorade, Carter said the ingredient is used as an "emulsifier," meaning it distributes flavoring evenly so that it doesn't collect at the surface. She said it was used only in select varieties including orange and "citrus cooler." Other drinks that use brominated vegetable oil, or BVO, include Coca-Cola's Fanta and PepsiCo's Mountain Dew. A spokesman for competitor Dr Pepper Snapple Group was not available to comment on whether the ingredient is used in any of its drinks.

Carter noted that the ingredient is not banned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and that PepsiCo's decision wasn't the result of any health or safety concerns. She said it was specifically a response to concerns expressed by Gatorade customers. The company's decision was first reported by the trade journal Beverage Digest.

Pulin Mondi, a spokesman for Change.org, said the move reflects the "shift in power we're seeing between businesses and their customers."

PepsiCo, based in Purchase, N.Y., is replacing the BVO in Gatorade with an ingredient called sucrose acetate isobutyrate, which Carter said will maintain the flavor and taste of the drinks.

Although Americans have been drinking less soda since 1998, sports drinks have remained a growth area for PepsiCo and Coca-Cola. Gatorade remains the dominant player with about 69 percent of the market, while Powerade has 30 percent, according to Beverage Digest.

Source AP

2 peeps gave props to phantomnation Jayg36 (01-25-2013) , hot topic  (01-25-2013)

top in section
39 viewing
 Image inside Sep 4 - Teens steal Air Jordans at gunpoint from Ga. bus stop & post on FaceBook
30 comments
top in news/24hrs
top in section
52 viewing
 DAMN!! 50 cent to judge, please don't shut off my electric!!
15 comments
top in hiphop/24hrs

Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #2
ItAlY2BkLyN 231 heat pts231 space
Mile Hi State of Mind
space
$17,946 | POWERFUL
mother fu*kin' flame retardant in our drinks.

No wonder cancer, heart disease, etc are so prevalent in the baby boomer generations.

Microwaving your left over taco bell in a tupperware and washing it down with some flame retardant mountain dew
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - on now - #3
Propel Water 7 heat pts space
King Beyond the Wall
space
$15,886 | POWERFUL
ItAlY2BkLyN said:

No wonder cancer, heart disease, etc are so prevalent in the baby boomer generations.

Microwaving your left over taco bell in a tupperware and washing it down with some flame retardant mountain dew
i had that taco bell and mountain dew baja blast last night lol
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #4
Mile Hi State of Mind
space
$17,946 | POWERFUL
illini10fan said:
maybe im missing something about flame retardant? but have you ever made orange Koolaid..the sh*t doesnt even out completely. so thats why you put this in..i donno maybe im wrong but flame retardant
it's all good tho, you just stir that sh*t up real quick and you're good to go.

I was more commenting on all the bullsh*t they put in our food. You know that in Peter Pan Peanut Butter, there are ingredients that are more similar to plastic than actual food? You multiply that by all the different types of foods that have non-food ingredients. Then multiply that by everyone in the country. Then multiply that by eating that food over a lifetime, no wonder people are dropping like flies from all different kinds of illnesses.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #5
matelyan 20 heat pts20 space
God's Son
space
$9,224 | POWERFUL
ItAlY2BkLyN said:

I stopped eating fast food and candy as well as stopped drinking soda in 2007. I have the occasional burger and fries or a pizza, but very rarely. This year Ive stepped my game up and bought a juicer and have been on a juice diet, supplementing two of my 3 daily meals with juice recipes. I feel so much better and love my new diet.

And in the end most of the food we consume is tainted in some way. My belief is that the more raw and natural the food, the less chance you have of consuming a ton of bad stuff. Im sure the fruits and veggies Im juicing have bug spray and other pesticides, but they are not nearly as bad as the sh*t in fast food and soft drinks!
Unread 3 years agoclass of '07 - away - #6
Ham Rove 2816 heat pts2816 space
Rizzo & Bryant>>>
space
$44,580 | POWERFUL
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #7
Mile Hi State of Mind
space
$17,946 | POWERFUL
matelyan said:

I stopped eating fast food and candy as well as stopped drinking soda in 2007. I have the occasional burger and fries or a pizza, but very rarely. This year Ive stepped my game up and bought a juicer and have been on a juice diet, supplementing two of my 3 daily meals with juice recipes. I feel so much better and love my new diet.

And in the end most of the food we consume is tainted in some way. My belief is that the more raw and natural the food, the less chance you have of consuming a ton of bad stuff. Im sure the fruits and veggies Im juicing have bug spray and other pesticides, but they are not nearly as bad as the sh*t in fast food and soft drinks!
I've been trying to eat a lot cleaner too. No processed stuff, not a lot of sugar.

<--- that sh*t changed my life. If you can watch the documentary I would highly recommend it.

Also check this out for some recipies

Unread 3 years agoclass of '06 - away - #8
Beantown Bully 12 heat pts12 space
Boston to Boogie Down
space
$2,154 | 19365623
Orange Gatorade after a night of alcohol and drugs is a beautiful thing. Guess its back to blue. And who cares if it evens out the flavor, can't you just shake it up?
Unread 3 years agoclass of '06 - on now - #9
RAZAH CUTS 4273 heat pts4273 space
"macehualli"
space
$45,694 | POWERFUL
fu*kin flame retardant???
Unread 3 years agoclass of '10 - away - #10
Trilluminati GA 413 heat pts413 space
HardOnHoes2K15
space
$40,488 | POWERFUL
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #11
jayblazey  space
Detroit Playa
space
$301 | 1643933
Propel Water said:
i had that taco bell and mountain dew baja blast last night lol
You needed flame retardant after eating at Taco Bell they did you a favor
Unread 3 years agoclass of '06 - away - #12
GOD999 144 heat pts144 space
S L I P P I N
space
$23,937 | POWERFUL
sh*t like this makes me glad I've been messing around with tears and smoothies from a health shop/juice bar for the last half year

I've stopped drinking sweets along time ago, and last year made an effort to cut out soda forreal
Unread 3 years agoclass of '08 - away - #13
youdug 163 heat pts163 space
I Got Knocked Da Fu*k Out!
space
$4,342 | POWERFUL
always wondered why Mountain Dew drinkers are the weirdest people on the planet.
flame retardent.
makes sense now.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #14
haterade2885 1 heat pts space
space
$2,663 | 6719611
illini10fan said:
maybe im missing something about flame retardant? but have you ever made orange Koolaid..the sh*t doesnt even out completely. so thats why you put this in..i donno maybe im wrong but flame retardant
people always thought i was weird for rocking my glass with a spoon in it. i give that sh*t a stir every now and then and sip, keeps it steady without the need for chemicals. this stuff is harmless though, if people lived consuming things like this 30 years ago we will be fine.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '12 - away - #15
OG Killa 158 heat pts158 space
You A bi*ch
space
$16,164 | POWERFUL
Hilarious a bi*ch named Molly is the rep they choose to handle this
Unread 3 years agoclass of '04 - away - #16
NaMeLeSs- 74 heat pts74 space
Mitchell_Official
space
$7,424 | POWERFUL
haterade2885 said:
people always thought i was weird for rocking my glass with a spoon in it. i give that sh*t a stir every now and then and sip, keeps it steady without the need for chemicals. this stuff is harmless though, if people lived consuming things like this 30 years ago we will be fine.
Yeah... How many old people have cancer.
Unread 3 years agoclass of '12 - away - #17
WordOnThaStreet 25 heat pts25 space
space
$1,598 | POWERFUL
wtf IS real out here
Unread 3 years agoclass of '10 - away - #18
sm00vb0iiw0nder 7 heat pts space
space
$22,200 | POWERFUL
People do realize that products don't only have one use right?

Sheep. "Oh no, vegetable oil that can also be used as a flame retardant!"

At least learn what bromine is before you start whining and sh*t
Unread 3 years agoclass of '07 - away - #19
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts space
WUTS REALLY GOOD NUCKA!!!
space
$9,713 | POWERFUL
Ha they keeping that Aspartme in though..
Unread 3 years agoclass of '05 - away - #20
rashcobar 5 heat pts space
space
$7,537 | POWERFUL
As long as they keep those electrolytes in...

Home > all sections > BX Daily Bugle

join bx

that hot ish yesterday

most viewed right now
35 viewing
Image inside How the fu-k ?
121 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
31 viewing
NFL All of Tom Brady's Super Bowl wins wrapped up in one picture
84 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
26 viewing
Video inside 50 Cent Talks 2Pac Movie, Tyga & Kylie Jenner, Mayweather, Bang'em Smur..
99 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
19 viewing
what are the most ridiculous claims made by or said of rappers?
200 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
17 viewing
Video inside :DEAD: (Trust me you will be too lol)
143 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
15 viewing
Video inside Kadafi's 1996 Statement To Vegas PD Says "Tupac's Shooter Driver 'Looke..
133 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
12 viewing
Image inside Jay Rock Tonight Confirmed!
142 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
11 viewing
Image inside Thick Thighs And Titty Meat...Kelsey Goldsby
36 comments
20 hours ago
@eyecandy
^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |   BX 1998-end of time