This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jan 25 - Gatorade to remove controversial ingredient

Jan 25 - Gatorade to remove controversial ingredient
topic by phantomnation - 01-25-2013, 03:19 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

NEW YORK (AP) -- PepsiCo Inc. is removing a controversial ingredient from its Gatorade sports drink in response to customer complaints.

Molly Carter, a spokeswoman for the company, said Friday that the removal of brominated vegetable oil was in the works over the past year after the company began "hearing rumblings" from consumers about the ingredient. She said it wasn't a reaction to a recent petition on Change.org by a Mississippi teenager.

The ingredient is also used in other drinks, including some flavors of Powerade made by rival Coca-Cola Co. The Atlanta-based company did not say whether it would remove the ingredient from Powerade as well but noted that it takes customer concerns into account when looking for ways to improve its drinks.

Ingredients in food and drinks have come under greater scrutiny in recent years, helped by the ability of consumers to mobilize online. The petition on Change.org noted that brominated vegetable oil has been patented as a flame retardant and is banned in Japan and the European Union. It had more than 200,000 supporters Friday.

For Gatorade, Carter said the ingredient is used as an "emulsifier," meaning it distributes flavoring evenly so that it doesn't collect at the surface. She said it was used only in select varieties including orange and "citrus cooler." Other drinks that use brominated vegetable oil, or BVO, include Coca-Cola's Fanta and PepsiCo's Mountain Dew. A spokesman for competitor Dr Pepper Snapple Group was not available to comment on whether the ingredient is used in any of its drinks.

Carter noted that the ingredient is not banned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and that PepsiCo's decision wasn't the result of any health or safety concerns. She said it was specifically a response to concerns expressed by Gatorade customers. The company's decision was first reported by the trade journal Beverage Digest.

Pulin Mondi, a spokesman for Change.org, said the move reflects the "shift in power we're seeing between businesses and their customers."

PepsiCo, based in Purchase, N.Y., is replacing the BVO in Gatorade with an ingredient called sucrose acetate isobutyrate, which Carter said will maintain the flavor and taste of the drinks.

Although Americans have been drinking less soda since 1998, sports drinks have remained a growth area for PepsiCo and Coca-Cola. Gatorade remains the dominant player with about 69 percent of the market, while Powerade has 30 percent, according to Beverage Digest.

Source AP

> Jan 25 - Gatorade to remove controversial ingredient - Photo posted in BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Latest News Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

31 comments for "Jan 25 - Gatorade to remove controversial ingredient"

01-25-2013, 03:36 PMaway - #2
ItAlY2BkLyN 229 heat pts229

d 
space
$15,375 | POWERFUL
mother ####in' flame retardant in our drinks.

No wonder cancer, heart disease, etc are so prevalent in the baby boomer generations.

Microwaving your left over taco bell in a tupperware and washing it down with some flame retardant mountain dew
 01-25-2013, 05:07 PMonline - #3
Propel Water 5 heat pts

d 
space
$13,863 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ItAlY2BkLyN

No wonder cancer, heart disease, etc are so prevalent in the baby boomer generations.

Microwaving your left over taco bell in a tupperware and washing it down with some flame retardant mountain dew
i had that taco bell and mountain dew baja blast last night lol
 01-25-2013, 05:08 PMaway - #4

d 
space
$15,375 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by illini10fan
maybe im missing something about flame retardant? but have you ever made orange Koolaid..the #### doesnt even out completely. so thats why you put this in..i donno maybe im wrong but flame retardant
it's all good tho, you just stir that #### up real quick and you're good to go.

I was more commenting on all the bull#### they put in our food. You know that in Peter Pan Peanut Butter, there are ingredients that are more similar to plastic than actual food? You multiply that by all the different types of foods that have non-food ingredients. Then multiply that by everyone in the country. Then multiply that by eating that food over a lifetime, no wonder people are dropping like flies from all different kinds of illnesses.
 01-25-2013, 05:20 PMaway - #5
matelyan 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$8,495 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ItAlY2BkLyN

I stopped eating fast food and candy as well as stopped drinking soda in 2007. I have the occasional burger and fries or a pizza, but very rarely. This year Ive stepped my game up and bought a juicer and have been on a juice diet, supplementing two of my 3 daily meals with juice recipes. I feel so much better and love my new diet.

And in the end most of the food we consume is tainted in some way. My belief is that the more raw and natural the food, the less chance you have of consuming a ton of bad stuff. Im sure the fruits and veggies Im juicing have bug spray and other pesticides, but they are not nearly as bad as the #### in fast food and soft drinks!
 01-25-2013, 05:36 PMonline - #6
Ham Rove 2069 heat pts2069

d 
space
$37,653 | POWERFUL
 01-25-2013, 05:54 PMaway - #7

d 
space
$15,375 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by matelyan

I stopped eating fast food and candy as well as stopped drinking soda in 2007. I have the occasional burger and fries or a pizza, but very rarely. This year Ive stepped my game up and bought a juicer and have been on a juice diet, supplementing two of my 3 daily meals with juice recipes. I feel so much better and love my new diet.

And in the end most of the food we consume is tainted in some way. My belief is that the more raw and natural the food, the less chance you have of consuming a ton of bad stuff. Im sure the fruits and veggies Im juicing have bug spray and other pesticides, but they are not nearly as bad as the #### in fast food and soft drinks!
I've been trying to eat a lot cleaner too. No processed stuff, not a lot of sugar.

<--- that #### changed my life. If you can watch the documentary I would highly recommend it.

Also check this out for some recipies

01-25-2013, 09:55 PMaway - #8
Beantown Bully 11 heat pts11

d 
space
$2,097 | 18364757
Orange Gatorade after a night of alcohol and drugs is a beautiful thing. Guess its back to blue. And who cares if it evens out the flavor, can't you just shake it up?
 01-25-2013, 10:03 PMaway - #9
RAZAH CUTS 2920 heat pts2920

d 
space
$41,586 | POWERFUL
####in flame retardant???
 01-26-2013, 01:46 AMonline - #10
Trilluminati GA 355 heat pts355

d 
space
$33,069 | POWERFUL
 01-26-2013, 01:47 AMaway - #11
jayblazey 

d 
space
$300 | 1637249
Originally Posted by Propel Water
i had that taco bell and mountain dew baja blast last night lol
You needed flame retardant after eating at Taco Bell they did you a favor
 01-26-2013, 02:12 AMaway - #12
GOD999 133 heat pts133

d 
space
$22,781 | POWERFUL
#### like this makes me glad I've been messing around with tears and smoothies from a health shop/juice bar for the last half year

I've stopped drinking sweets along time ago, and last year made an effort to cut out soda forreal
 01-26-2013, 02:43 AMaway - #13
youdug 155 heat pts155

d 
space
$3,679 | POWERFUL
always wondered why Mountain Dew drinkers are the weirdest people on the planet.
flame retardent.
makes sense now.
 01-26-2013, 02:52 AMaway - #14
haterade2885 1 heat pts

d 
space
$2,647 | 6613939
Originally Posted by illini10fan
maybe im missing something about flame retardant? but have you ever made orange Koolaid..the #### doesnt even out completely. so thats why you put this in..i donno maybe im wrong but flame retardant
people always thought i was weird for rocking my glass with a spoon in it. i give that #### a stir every now and then and sip, keeps it steady without the need for chemicals. this stuff is harmless though, if people lived consuming things like this 30 years ago we will be fine.
 01-26-2013, 02:59 AMaway - #15
OG Killa 148 heat pts148

d 
space
$14,036 | POWERFUL
Hilarious a #### named Molly is the rep they choose to handle this
 01-26-2013, 06:18 AMaway - #16
NaMeLeSs- 56 heat pts56

d 
space
$6,478 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by haterade2885
people always thought i was weird for rocking my glass with a spoon in it. i give that #### a stir every now and then and sip, keeps it steady without the need for chemicals. this stuff is harmless though, if people lived consuming things like this 30 years ago we will be fine.
Yeah... How many old people have cancer.
 01-26-2013, 06:58 AMaway - #17
WordOnThaStreet 25 heat pts25

d 
space
$1,598 | POWERFUL
wtf IS real out here
 01-26-2013, 07:03 AMaway - #18
sm00vb0iiw0nder 5 heat pts

d 
space
$19,609 | POWERFUL
People do realize that products don't only have one use right?

Sheep. "Oh no, vegetable oil that can also be used as a flame retardant!"

At least learn what bromine is before you start whining and ####
 01-26-2013, 07:47 AMaway - #19
MOTTAFOOKAH 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,168 | POWERFUL
Ha they keeping that Aspartme in though..
 01-26-2013, 08:52 AMaway - #20
rashcobar 4 heat pts

d 
space
$5,766 | POWERFUL
As long as they keep those electrolytes in...

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
BOX Manny Pacquiao vs Chris Algieri[11-22-14][HBO-PPV]
56 comments
NBA LeQueef With Monster Rebound
55 comments
NFL Aaron Rodgers is on another level. Literally. (Pro Footb..
79 comments
 Image(s) inside Janice Dickinson Submits A 1982 Photo Of Bill Cosby In...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 96 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 Image(s) inside Bow Wow Blasts 'black Folks' & the Homies Just Dr...
New reply 18 minutes ago - 76 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
  Nov 21 - Cosby Allegedly Raped The Hulk's Wife Too
New reply 6 minutes ago - 61 comments - by Zeeshine
 NCAAF Cfb Week 13 Thread
New reply 21 minutes ago - 111 comments - by CadillacVyse
 NFL No Chill : Jay Gruden Says Clock Is Ticking On Rgiii's...
New reply 9 minutes ago - 59 comments - by theFREAK
 NBA Can The Problem Actually Be Lebron?
New reply 22 minutes ago - 66 comments - by tygamann1
 Image(s) inside Quavo Got Two Brand New Yrn Chains
New reply 15 minutes ago - 167 comments - by JNumbaNC
 Video inside Migos & Fans Response To Dc Goons For Doing The In...
New reply 1 hour ago - 93 comments - by JNumbaNC

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,860 fans of BX and 2 new today 4,809 following and 1 new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.