This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jan 25 - Brutal cold weather hits eastern U.S.

Jan 25 - Brutal cold weather hits eastern U.S.
topic by RAZAH CUTS - 01-25-2013, 01:55 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

(CNN) -- Aiman Youssef can't catch a break with the weather.
First, Superstorm Sandy leveled his home and devastated most of his neighborhood in the New York City borough of Staten Island. Now, an arctic blast that forecasters warn can have deadly consequences is gripping the region.

Late Thursday, a gas-powered heater and a tent were the only defense Youssef had against the biting cold as he handed out jackets and sweaters at a makeshift supply depot he est@blished to help his Midland Beach neighbors who, in some cases, are still struggling to get the power back on.

"A lot of people have been coming, so we give them jackets, we give them sweaters," he told CNN affiliate NY1. "Yeah, we are trying. We are trying our best to help them."

But even as he helped his neighbors, he wondered how long he could keep the heater running at the tent where some of his neighbors were seeking shelter. Gas, he said, is expensive.

Exposure to subfreezing temperatures has left at least three people dead in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois, authorities said.

Icy road conditions also made for hazardous travel in Kentucky and Tennessee on Friday.
"The roads are pretty slick," said Amanda Rumball, a student who works at deSha's Restaurant in Kentucky's Fayette County.

It gets warm and it rains. Then it turns cold, so we can get a lot more ice than snow."

Authorities reported a bus accident on Interstate Highway 65, with a minor injury, and other car accidents Friday in the state's Fayette, Henry and Scott counties.

National Weather Service forecasters urged caution early Friday as they warned that "bitterly cold conditions" were expected to continue across much of the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic and Northeast into the weekend.

Widespread light snow showers were expected across the upper Great Lakes region and across the Ohio Valley before moving later in the day across the eastern United States, the weather service said.

Forecasters at the National Weather Service predicted 1 to 4 inches of snow for areas in the Ohio Valley and Mid-Atlantic regions Friday, with the Carolinas and Tennessee Valley getting freezing rain.

Driving conditions in Tennessee were dangerous, with streets covered in ice Friday morning.
Freezing rain advisories were posted for parts of Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and North Carolina on Friday.

The snow was expected to move later in the day into the eastern United States. It was not good news in portions of New York and New Jersey, where homes destroyed by Superstorm Sandy in places such as Staten Island and Far Rockaway, Queens, lacked basic utilities needed to restore heat.

With temperatures plummeting, warming centers were opened in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and other areas, according to various emergency management officials.
In Asbury Park, New Jersey, a traditional polar bear club plunge into frigid waters had to be postponed because of the single-digit wind chill.
"It wouldn't be safe to have people out there in their bathing suits," said club spokesman Traudy Grande.

Schools shuttered, planes grounded
Dozens of school systems in Tennessee and some in northern Georgia said they would be closed.

Schools in Raleigh, North Carolina, will close early, a spokesman with Wake County schools said.

"We're going to make sure we put a plan in place so that the buses are rolling while it's still safe and the students are back home before weather becomes an issue," he told CNN affiliate WRAL.

Road crews in North Carolina began salting major and secondary roads Thursday in an attempt to avoid the possible repeat of a January 19, 2005, storm that stranded thousands, including 3,000 Wake University students on campus.

Cindy Mease slept on the floor of her office after a failed attempt to try to get home in that storm.

"It was just a cluster. I mean, it was crazy out there," she told CNN affiliate WRAL in Raleigh. "(Cars would) hit a hill, and people would just start sliding back down."
Travelers were already feeling the effects of the storm.

Emily Richard, a spokeswoman for Nashville International Airport in Tennessee, said all inbound American Airlines flights for Thursday night and Friday morning were canceled. Though she had no official word from other carriers, she said she anticipated they also would cancel flights.

Caught in the snow
The snow in Pennsylvania played a role in the apprehension of suspected armed robbers, authorities said.

Investigators in Moon Township, just outside of Pittsburgh, tracked the footprints of three people and arrested them in connection with the robbery of a taxi driver at gunpoint Wednesday, police told CNN affiliate KDKA.

The footprints in the fresh snow, according to police, led from the scene of the robbery to the front door of one of the suspects.
Bundle up, forecasters warn, as Arctic blast hits eastern U.S. - CNN.com

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

20 comments for "Jan 25 - Brutal cold weather hits eastern U.S."

01-25-2013, 02:18 PMaway - #2
WhoNextWithPlex 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$6,725 | POWERFUL
bunch of pussies. I spent the day on the lake.

get you one of these

and these

01-25-2013, 09:14 PMaway - #3
DrX 56 heat pts56

d 
space
$34,926 | POWERFUL
i stay bundled up
 01-25-2013, 09:21 PMaway - #4
Funeral James 23 heat pts23

d 
space
$15,457 | POWERFUL
glad i moved to texas, hate cold weather..
 01-25-2013, 10:04 PMaway - #5
cbjones 24 heat pts24

d 
space
$8,333 | POWERFUL
I hate being inside all day. #### nature.
 01-26-2013, 12:44 AMaway - #6
UpTownBronx92 202 heat pts202

d 
space
$6,807 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by WhoNextWithPlex

get you one of these

and these

DAT GOOOOOOSE
 01-26-2013, 01:01 AMaway - #7
puffmypiff2k9 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$608 | 14226953
This the NY i remember.

Last edited by puffmypiff2k9; 01-31-2013 at 09:42 AM..
 01-26-2013, 04:33 AMaway - #8
faceoffizhere 

d 
space
$3,703 | 4618074
Originally Posted by WhoNextWithPlex

get you one of these

and these

link????
 01-26-2013, 04:54 AMaway - #9
Niruggg 134 heat pts134

d 
space
$11,786 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by faceoffizhere
link????
canada goose+google
 01-26-2013, 04:59 AMaway - #10
DesertEagle 41 heat pts41

d 
space
$7,123 | POWERFUL
My kind of weather
 01-26-2013, 05:02 AMonline - #11
StuNNa 116 heat pts116

d 
space
$33,975 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Funeral James
glad i moved to texas, hate cold weather..
what part homey?
 01-26-2013, 05:48 AMonline - #12
Blockburner28 38 heat pts38

d 
space
$10,300 | POWERFUL
Goodluck witht he Superbowl next year.......
 01-26-2013, 05:49 AMaway - #13
gh3tto 3 heat pts

d 
space
$1,677 | 5401287
Originally Posted by illini10fan
im sure white people will still wear no coats..and go out and basketball shorts and ####. lol..like its not cold but my skin is purple..
thats funny cuz i live close to usc and im wearing basketball shorts ...cuz it was 70 degrees
 01-26-2013, 06:04 AMaway - #14
nastynotic 3 heat pts

d 
space
$409 | 1980896
Originally Posted by faceoffizhere
link????

01-26-2013, 06:07 AMaway - #15
Funeral James 23 heat pts23

d 
space
$15,457 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by StuNNa
what part homey?
San Antonio, Military City.
 01-26-2013, 06:20 AMaway - #16
WhoNextWithPlex 27 heat pts27

d 
space
$6,725 | POWERFUL
thats the Ontario Parka for those who want to cop

but im pretty sure it only comes in Navy blue now
 01-26-2013, 10:59 AMaway - #17
deziking 32 heat pts32

d 
space
$13,840 | POWERFUL
yall ni##as pussies, this is best weather. I like places where weather will change every few months. Can't be sitting in 90 degree weather all year around, #### that ####.
 01-26-2013, 11:34 AMaway - #18
Dareupgang 

d 
space
$486 | 2355238
Canada Goose is the truth, can't let the cold weather stop the fun
 01-26-2013, 06:02 PMaway - #19
scooner 

d 
space
$525 | 1612806
Originally Posted by Blockburner28
Goodluck witht he Superbowl next year.......
yea no ####. I'll be in new orleans next weekend for it and was at it last year in Indy. We got lucky with the weather in Indy. Pretty decent all weekend except for Sat nite when it was like in the high teens low 20's. I'm predicting blizzard conditions for next year. i will not be there. but u can def catch me in phoenix in 2015 for SB 49

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Jul 27 - Your ‘pure’ bottled water contains added chemicals and..
51 comments
Video inside  Rainbow Six: Siege MP Gameplay Video
58 comments
Image inside  So who's copping Destiny?
90 comments
 Image(s) inside What's Your Favorite Drink From The Freestyle Coca Col...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 91 comments - by EscoNore
 Image(s) inside [chiwire] Durk Fu-kin W/ The Opps, Fredo Not With The ...
New reply 10 minutes ago - 234 comments - by Squadd
  Jul 26 - I’ve Worked At Mcdonald’s For 10 Years And St...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 294 comments - by RAZAH CUTS
 NBA Kobe Bryant Gets White Girls Juices Flowing (nicole Ri...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 61 comments - by lilbeast
 NBA Lebron James Going Back To Number 23
New reply 6 minutes ago - 177 comments - by MGz
 Video inside This Nigga Soulja Boy A Comedic Genius. This Swisher S...
New reply 12 minutes ago - 53 comments - by OG Killa
 NBA Did A Background Check On This Dude Tony Parker
New reply 8 minutes ago - 57 comments - by ralph lauren
 OT Could An Assembled Group Of Bxsc Posters Beat The Best...
New reply 18 minutes ago - 60 comments - by HeatMafia410

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,757 fans of BX | none new today 4,750 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.