This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jan 10 - Colorado Teens To Drink With Parental Supervision

Jan 10 - Colorado Teens To Drink With Parental Supervision
topic by phantomnation - 01-10-2013, 11:48 AM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

The state of Colorado will shift its focus away from recently legalized marijuana and toward underage drinking… with supervision that is. Republican Senator Greg Brophy from Wray, Colorado hopes to propose a new law that would allow 18-year-olds to drink alcohol at bars and restaurants with parental supervision.

Brophy told ABC News that the bill is almost finalized and is in drafting but it should be presented in the next few days.

Brophy told ABC News that he thought that 18-year-olds should have this right because alcohol is a legal substance that they would be consuming legally in a mere three years anyway. "It would be a good idea for young adults to learn about responsible use of this product with responsible adults."

When asked why 18 was the chosen age, Brophy said, "As a society we have arbitrarily chosen that age to convey upon people most of the rights and responsibilities of adulthood." He continues, "At 18 people are old enough to enter into binding contracts, they are old enough to vote, and to serve our country. Age 18 is the number that society has chosen, so I figured we would start there."

As of now, Colorado's drinking laws are fairly lenient. The Centennial State allows its under-agers to consume alcohol on private, non alcohol-selling premises, with parental supervision, for educational purposes (such as culinary students), and for medical or religious purposes.

"Why is it appropriate for the state to deny responsible parents the opportunity to show their own adult children how to safely and responsibly consume adult beverages in public?" Brophy asked.

Under Brophy's proposal, parents would need to provide their ID as well as identification for their child; however, the server would ultimately have the say on whether alcohol would be served to the underage person.

Pete Meersman, CEO of the Colorado Restaurant a$sociation, says that he is opposed to the legislation. "It puts all the burden of making the decisions of who can and can't be served onto our servers and our operators."

Meersman continues, "We can have our license suspended or revoked if there is an issue with serving someone under 21 years of age."

The concern of the Colorado Restaurant a$sociation is that they have no real way of discerning between a parental relationship. Meersman mentions the situations of young married couples where one partner is 21 and the other is not and he discusses complications dealing with civil unions and couples/families who do not share the same last name.

"We have no way of telling who is legitimate and who is not," Meersman says.

"If the bill passes, which we are opposed to, we will advise our members to not serve anyone who is under 21." Meersman continues, "We are not going to take any chances on losing our license and the liabilities will ultimately rest on the servers and on the restaurants."

If the legislation passes, Colorado would not be alone in their quest for consented alcohol consumption for young adults. Eleven states --Connecticut, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin, and Wyoming--allow the consumption of alcohol for 18-year-olds on alcohol-selling premises such as restaurants and bars with parental approval.

Source: ABCNews

> Jan 10 - Colorado Teens To Drink With Parental Supervision - Photo posted in BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines | Sign in and leave a comment below!

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

22 comments for "Jan 10 - Colorado Teens To Drink With Parental Supervision"

01-10-2013, 12:03 PMaway - #2
.amberlamps. 13 heat pts13

d 
space
$25,202 | POWERFUL
18 with parental supervision?
 01-10-2013, 12:06 PMonline - #3
Based_One 62 heat pts62

d 
space
$7,167 | POWERFUL
do what other countries do lower the Drinking age raise the Driving age.
 01-10-2013, 08:10 PMaway - #4
ill 800 61 heat pts61

d 
space
$7,003 | POWERFUL
trying to make more money i see colorado
 01-10-2013, 10:09 PMaway - #5
darealvelle 72 heat pts72

d 
space
$4,371 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by S.TEX
18 with parental supervision?
lol i know right. That #### sound like an oxymoron.
 01-10-2013, 11:25 PMaway - #6
MegaTON 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$23,561 | POWERFUL
they been allowed this in wisconsin lmao
 01-10-2013, 11:35 PMaway - #7
DreamChasers 68 heat pts68

d 
space
$5,382 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by MegaTON
 01-10-2013, 11:55 PMaway - #8
MegaTON 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$23,561 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jimmy Breaux
Who wants to get drunk with their parents around?
me n my pops dont be drinkin together, but id def get drunk with his a$s
 01-11-2013, 06:13 PMaway - #9
HipHopGanjaHead 3 heat pts

d 
space
$615 | 2718736
Sorry Colorado, but Canada got some of the best drinking laws of all time.

01-11-2013, 08:20 PMaway - #10
UpTownClips 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$2,900 | 10349485
Originally Posted by HipHopGanjaHead
Sorry Colorado, but Canada got some of the best drinking laws of all time.

01-11-2013, 08:24 PMaway - #11
ManWithoutFear! 2 heat pts

d 
space
$9,189 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jimmy Breaux
Who wants to get drunk with their parents around?
My father funny as hell though!
If you like white ppl & homos3xuals dont be around that ni##a when he drunk.
 01-11-2013, 08:51 PMaway - #12
nightmare 420 heat pts420

d 
space
$12,780 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by ManWithoutFear!
 01-11-2013, 09:31 PMaway - #13
RAZAH CUTS 2775 heat pts2775

d 
space
$41,007 | POWERFUL
I dunno bout this one..

seems like since they placated the weed smokers, now they gotta go and do something for the ppl that drink...
 01-11-2013, 11:01 PMaway - #14
Bob Sacamano 

d 
space
$4,749 | 13324217
Impractical for the reasons stated, but the U.S. has the highest drinking age in the world and the most binge drinking by teenagers in the world...

I would know I did my fair share, and my body is less healthy because of it although I had a ####load of fun.

But the 21 year drinking age isn't like some old tradition, its fairly new the drinking age was 18 not all that long ago, I feel like the government forced the states to comply with 21 by threatening to withhold highway funding in the mid 1980s. COuld be wrong about the timeline

Last edited by Bob Sacamano; 01-11-2013 at 11:03 PM..
 01-11-2013, 11:06 PMaway - #15
Bob Sacamano 

d 
space
$4,749 | 13324217
Originally Posted by thug prayers
some ####ty a$s parents.

imo if youre out getting sauced and youre not even 21, youre doomed to be a failure.

damn near every lowlife ive ever met started drinkin before 21. i mean, i started at 20... but still.
Arn't you so ####ing high and mighty. The whole point is not to always drink to get drunk, you're comin off really ignorant, and also you probably didn't have much of a social life in high school huh? Its okay that you are socially awkward don't have to make blanket statements involving moral judgements about other people's drinking history.

Last edited by Bob Sacamano; 01-11-2013 at 11:08 PM..
 01-12-2013, 08:26 AMaway - #16
regularjoe 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$22,596 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by MegaTON
Before 18 lol. Though I remember at mine, and several other graduation parties, even the kids who didn't drink we trashed lol.
 01-16-2013, 02:24 PMaway - #17
FLA_ALL_DAY 4 heat pts

d 
space
$1,227 | 6159548
Originally Posted by ManWithoutFear!
same thing with my pops

but replace white people with black people lmao!
 01-16-2013, 02:51 PMonline - #18
Ham Rove 2025 heat pts2025

d 
space
$37,052 | POWERFUL
if im old enough for my gov to hand me an m16 and send me to some stan to get k!lled, i should be old enough to drink imo. when i was in italy for a fam reunion back in 08 i noticed how many young people drink whine @ dinner. kids like 14 having glasses of whine @ dinner.
 01-16-2013, 04:00 PMaway - #19
matelyan 18 heat pts18

d 
space
$8,377 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by thug prayers
some ####ty a$s parents.

imo if youre out getting sauced and youre not even 21, youre doomed to be a failure.

damn near every lowlife ive ever met started drinkin before 21. i mean, i started at 20... but still.
That couldn't be more far from the truth. I know plenty of people,myself included, who began drinking around 14-15 and have grown up to be well-off and fully functioning members of society. As a matter of fact I don't even like drinking anymore and prefer to vaporize instead, but will enjoy a brew every now and then.

I think it has to do more with the quality of the person in question and not their alcohol consumption.
 01-16-2013, 06:16 PMaway - #20
ill 800 61 heat pts61

d 
space
$7,003 | POWERFUL
anything to make a buck. colorado must be broke

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Oct 23 - Ebola in NYC
63 comments
Image inside  white girl got azz!!!!!!
66 comments
Image inside  Klay Thompson Still Winning Yoooooooooooooooooo!
132 comments
 NCAAF Notre Dame Freshman Wr Justin Brent Dating Legendary F...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 141 comments - by theFREAK
  Phil Spencer On Whether He Would Have Made Xbox One Mo...
New reply 11 minutes ago - 88 comments - by Da Ill One
 NBA Shawn Kemp Top 10 Dunks (the Blake Griffin Of The 90s,...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 115 comments - by EZ Green
 Video inside Guy Jumps White House Fence And Owns 2 German Shepherds
New reply 21 minutes ago - 81 comments - by st21
 Video inside Age Of Ultron Trailer 1
New reply 10 minutes ago - 251 comments - by Jesszman
 Image(s) inside After All These Halloweens, I Never Knew (mind Blown)
New reply 34 minutes ago - 70 comments - by italiansteve
 Image(s) inside Drake Fires Back At Tyga
New reply 10 minutes ago - 102 comments - by Frankybaby
  Tay600 Calls Interscope’s Decision To Drop Chief Keef ...
New reply 48 minutes ago - 99 comments - by GLOCKN SKIMASK

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,826 fans of BX | none new today 4,797 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.