This is BX @ Boxden.com

Jan 1 - Sandy Hook Classrooms Recreated Down to Crayons on the Desk in New Building

Jan 1 - Sandy Hook Classrooms Recreated Down to Crayons on the Desk in New Building
topic by GarfieldBond007 - 01-01-2013, 06:19 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

By CHRISTINA NG (@ChristinaNg27)
Jan. 1, 2013

The students and staff of Sandy Hook Elementary School will return to school on Thursday for the first time since the shooting rampage that left 20 young students and six adults dead. The students will be in a new building where their old classrooms have been completely recreated.

Instead of returning to the halls of Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., they will be going to the building that used to be the Chalk Hill Middle School in Monroe, about six miles away.

Sandy Hook school was shut since Adam Lanza carried out his massacre shortly before Christmas.

Since principal Dawn Hochsprung was one of the victims of the shooting, the school will be led by interim principal Donna Page. Page was the school's prior principal who retired in 2010.

"Please know the inspiration you and your children have been to my staff and me as we connect with you at Chalk Hill," Page wrote in a letter posted on the school's website. "Be a$sured that the towns of Monroe and Newtown are working night and day to ensure the facility is safe, secure, and fully operational for our return," Page wrote.

The school will host a walk-through for families on Wednesday and "Opening Day" will be Thursday.

"I want to reassure you that we understand many parents may need to be near their children on their first day(s) of school and you will be welcome," Page wrote.

The school is encouraging students to take the bus in order to help them return to familiar routines and said parents may come to the school's classrooms or auditorium throughout the day after the 9:07 a.m. opening. They are asking that no more than one adult family member accompany each child in order "to ensure a safe and secure environment."

In addition to a parental presence at the school, comfort dogs will be returning to brighten the day. Small armies of golden retrievers spread out all over Newtown in the days following the shooting to comfort mourners young and old.

Chicago's Lutheran Church Charities' K-9 Parish Comfort Dogs were in Newtown after the shooting and are traveling back to Connecticut today. Nine dogs and their handlers gathered at their building at 1 a.m. this morning to board a caravan of one RV and two vans heading to Connecticut.

"The community of Newtown will be going through the healing process for a very long time," the group wrote on their website. "The LCC K-9 Comfort dogs will be returning to Newtown...They will be there to greet children as they return to school."

The rest of the Newtown school district resumes classes on Wednesday.

Furniture and supplies from Sandy Hook were moved to Chalk Hill in order to recreate the classrooms just as they were.

Teachers photographed their classrooms at Sandy Hook in order to replicate everything about them, from the pictures on the walls to the crayons left on the students' desks. This is all part of an effort to make the students feel as comfortable as possible.

Workers completely retrofitted the former middle school to fit the needs of its young students, including tearing out bathrooms that were made for teenagers and rebuilding them for elementary-aged kids.

New security systems are being installed at Chalk Hill school, and Newtown Councilman Steve Vavrek told ABC News that the school will be "the safest school in America."

For a school that has gone through so much, moving forward does not mean forgetting.

"I want parents and families enduring the loss of their precious children to know their loved ones are foremost in our hearts and minds as we move forward," Page wrote. "Your strength and compassion has been, and will continue to be an inspiration to me and countless others as we work to honor the memory of your precious children and our beloved staff."

Sandy Hook School Recreated Down to Crayons on the Desk in New Building - ABC News

Latest News Hot Topics »   share this topic »   Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

15 comments for "Jan 1 - Sandy Hook Classrooms Recreated Down to Crayons on the Desk in New Building"

01-01-2013, 09:51 PMaway - #2
Blokka Blokka 4 heat pts

d 
space
$260 | 2456948
lot of bad mojo in that building
 01-01-2013, 10:03 PMaway - #3
UrbanGAAWD 194 heat pts194

d 
space
$6,577 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Mr Connoisseur
no ####.

would they have someone recreate kids artwork if it was covered in blood? no malice, i'm just curious.

i dont see why they wouldnt just put them in new classrooms, to forget and start fresh.
Sandy hook is still a crime scene, it will be filled with cops and csu workers for months and it would make more sense to use another school rather than block off the classrooms....plus it's nice they are trying to recreate things for an easy transition but it would be a little scary for the kids there....I hope there's tons of counselors and people for the kids to talk too....this kinda thing ####s a kid up for life
 01-01-2013, 10:15 PMaway - #4
foshomoney 69 heat pts69

d 
space
$22,227 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jimmy Breaux
Do you have any alternative suggestions?
candle light vigil
 01-01-2013, 10:21 PMaway - #5
Minister 105 heat pts105

d 
space
$19,736 | POWERFUL
i wanna see a sandy hook blood orgy
 01-01-2013, 11:34 PMaway - #6
FlamboyantOne 1 heat pts

d 
space
$3,532 | 10142295
Originally Posted by Minister
i wanna see a sandy hook blood orgy
why?..........
 01-02-2013, 01:06 AMaway - #7
mikielee213 

d 
space
$978 | 2256218
And theres our attention wh#re.....kill urself loser
 01-02-2013, 09:18 AMaway - #8
kurtd225 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$7,725 | POWERFUL
school gone be haunted not any kid that got bullied gone be a poltergeist in the coming back ..throwing chairs and shyt id transfer lol
 01-02-2013, 10:22 AMaway - #9
regularjoe 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$23,401 | POWERFUL
I hope the best for those kids.
 01-02-2013, 12:00 PMaway - #10
popsjenkins 26 heat pts26

d 
space
$2,655 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Jimmy Breaux
It's the same school, and I'm pretty sure the hallways and corridors were covered in blood spatter.
It's a different school 6 miles away. A middle school that was previously shut down.
 01-02-2013, 02:04 PMaway - #11
Mike Nitty 6 heat pts

d 
space
$19,552 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by regularjoe
I hope the best for those kids.
 01-02-2013, 02:35 PMaway - #12
Dos-effect 20 heat pts20

d 
space
$14,677 | POWERFUL
They will be alright, plenty of kids that not from rich families, have to walk through de@th and desolation every day to get back and forth to school.........but people start talking about "wasting tax dollars" and all that when people push for revamps of those schools and neighborhoods, nothing wrong with looking out for the kids......but this country sure has a funny way of displaying their empathy for our children when different situations occur.

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
BOX Manny Pacquiao vs Chris Algieri[11-22-14][HBO-PPV]
631 comments
NBA barkleys response to cousins "he can't whoop my ass"
54 comments
NBA LeQueef With Monster Rebound
65 comments
  Jay Z Won :wadedatass:
New reply 5 minutes ago - 64 comments - by sigNN
 Image(s) inside Look At This Fine Lil Thang!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New reply 48 minutes ago - 59 comments - by tokinjohn
 Image(s) inside Bow Wow Blasts 'black Folks' & “the Homies Just Dr...
New reply 17 minutes ago - 88 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 NBA Can The Problem Actually Be Lebron?
New reply 1 hour ago - 80 comments - by tygamann1
 Image(s) inside Quavo Got Two Brand New Yrn Chains
New reply 23 minutes ago - 184 comments - by JNumbaNC
 Video inside Migos & Fans Response To Dc Goons For Doing The In...
New reply 3 hours ago - 103 comments - by JNumbaNC
 Image(s) inside Janice Dickinson Submits A 1982 Photo Of Bill Cosby In...
New reply 42 minutes ago - 118 comments - by Avon_Barksdale
 NFL Aaron Rodgers Is On Another Level. Literally. (pro Foo...
New reply 3 hours ago - 101 comments - by EGO

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,860 fans of BX | none new today 4,808 following | none new today

hot topic blog   »    hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

© Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.