Boxden hiphop sports wild'ish games movies news eyecandy tech gear rides
trending now most viewers #top20 top yesterday all sections videos pics tracks headlines

Feb 4 - Intelligent Life Could Be Thriving On 40,000 Planets

most watched this minute | see more
most viewed right now
103 viewing
 NBA NBA Playoffs: #3 Chicago Bulls (50-32) vs #6 Milwaukee Bucks (41-41) | 1st..
385 comments
most viewed right now
90 viewing
 Image inside KyLIE JeNNER ROCKS StRING Bikini BEFORE COACHELLA HANGOUT
60 comments

top in section
49 viewing
 Video inside Juvie speaks on the thugga & weezy situation
top in hiphop
top in section
24 viewing
Video inside BATMAN vs SUPERMAN Trailer - THINGS YOU MISSED
top in movies

people viewing this topic:   (0 members and 1 guests)  

let em know » Share this on TwitterShare this on Facebook
 Feb 4 - Intelligent Life Could Be Thriving On 40,000 Planets
Unread 6 years agoclass of '04 - away - #1
6727 pageviews
193 comments

JerseyLegend|m 10 heat pts10 space
Are You In That Mood Yet?
space
$13,357 | POWERFUL

Science’s quest to discover life on Mars has so far failed to find even one little green man.

But not to worry. Aliens could be alive and well on almost 40,000 other planets.

Researchers have calculated that up to 37,964 worlds in our galaxy are hospitable enough to be home to creatures at least as intelligent as ourselves.

Astrophysicist Duncan Forgan created a computer programme that collated all the data on the 330 or so planets known to man and worked out what proportion would have conditions suitable for life.

The estimate, which took into account factors such as temperature and availability of water and minerals, was then extrapolated across the Milky Way.

Three scenarios of how life could develop were also taken into account.

The first - that it is difficult for life to form but easy for it to evolve - concluded there are at least 361 planets harbouring intelligent life. The second, which a.ssumed that life is easily formed but struggles to develop further, came up with a total of 31,513.

The third scenario, which a.ssumes that life can be passed from planet to planet with the help of asteroids, saw the total rocket to almost 38,000, the Journal of Astrobiology reports.

What is more, these lifeforms would not be mere amoeba wriggling on the end of a microscope but fully-fledged aliens, because the scientists' definition of intelligent life is a species at least as advanced as humans.

Mr Forgan, who believes it will take 300 to 400 years for us to make contact with our far away neighbours, said: 'I believe the estimate of 361 intelligent civilisations to be the most accurate.

'These would certainly be the most Earth-like civilisations but the bigger figures are certainly possible. We can't rule them out.

'Most of the other planets we have looked at are older than our own - so I would expect to see more advanced civilisations than ours existing.'

[pic - click to view]

http://www.dailymail.co.u... .html?ITO=1490
11 peeps gave props to JerseyLegend Binah (02-05-2009) , blackflaem (02-07-2009) , coltraver (02-10-2009) , GoldynChyld421 (02-06-2009) , illathruz (02-05-2009) , Lord Hater (02-05-2009) , N2C (02-06-2009) , PR0TENTIAL (02-09-2009) , spanishflip703 (02-05-2009) , tacuna 320 (02-07-2009) , unkle (02-05-2009)

193 comments for "Feb 4 - Intelligent Life Could Be Thriving On 40,000 Planets"

- To post a comment, join the squad -

Unread 6 years agoclass of '07 - away - #2
2D.... 3 heat pts space
space
$8,022 | POWERFUL
i dont think yall get just how special earth's condition is, its not only our atmosphere and perfect distance from the sun that makes life so possible
its also the arrangement of planets around us that has kept major meteor impacts from destroying these livable conditions

i believe that there is somewhere else with life but intelligent life, since it takes time to evolve and develop without major incident, is hard to believe
Unread 6 years agoclass of '07 - away - #3
stepyourgameup  space
space
$415 | 1753349
Except that's 361 spread out over the vastness of the universe.
Unread 6 years agoclass of '04 - away - #4
DnSouth28  space
space
$1,767 | POWERFUL
Very possible but its not like any of us will be alive in 300-400 years to find out.
Unread 6 years agoclass of '08 - away - #5
likeatalltree  space
I Got Knocked Da Fu*k Out!
space
$607 | 0
stepyourgameup said:
Vastness as in infinite. Where does it end?
Unread 6 years agoclass of '07 - away - #6
kiid 3 heat pts space
Huh?
space
$533 | 2882358
likeatalltree said:
Vastness as in infinite. Where does it end?
better yet, does it end?
Unread 6 years agoclass of '04 - away - #7
123456  space
space
$5,960 | 8446182
I noticed you like space and dinosaur sh*t a lot
Unread 6 years agoclass of '06 - away - #8
AlBundysfingers  space
Try Some
space
$2,814 | 13992161
whats wrong with likin scientific articles?
Unread 6 years agoclass of '04 - away - #9
123456  space
space
$5,960 | 8446182
Nothin at all....I'm just sayin. I actually like this sh*t better than most articles posted on here.
Unread 6 years agoclass of '08 - away - #10
BRonin357 1 heat pts space
MILF Magnet
space
$4,601 | 17736148
Ditto^^^ hurm
Unread 6 years agoclass of '06 - away - #11
servesurite 31 heat pts31 space
beard game proper
space
$8,495 | POWERFUL
123456 said:
this n*gga
Unread 6 years agoclass of '04 - away - #12
JerseyLegend|m 10 heat pts10 space
Are You In That Mood Yet?
space
$13,357 | POWERFUL
123456 said:
word man. this section is full of bullsh*t. gotta change it up around here
Unread 6 years agoclass of '04 - away - #13
P Squared™  space
H.N.I.C.
space
$1,413 | 14253317
2D.... said:
i dont think yall get just how special earth's condition is, its not only our atmosphere and perfect distance from the sun that makes life so possible
its also the arrangement of planets around us that has kept major meteor impacts from destroying these livable conditions

i believe that there is somewhere else with life but intelligent life, since it takes time to evolve and develop without major incident, is hard to believe
I don't think you realize how large the universe is. There are hundreds of BILLIONS of galaxies in the universe, each of which have can have anywhere from millions of stars to billions of stars. There is no way that, of the Trillions of solar systems in the universe, ours is the only one in which an intelligent civilization has developed. Now obviously they cannot be significantly more developed than us because if they were, then wouldn't we have heard from them?
Unread 6 years agoclass of '05 - away - #14
steeLTown 127 heat pts127 space
MVP
space
$20,960 | POWERFUL
awesome
Unread 6 years agoclass of '05 - away - #15
r a n c i d  space
Can't Touch This
space
$20,576 | POWERFUL
2D.... said:

Stop being stupid. It's pretty much scientific fact that Intelligent Life outside of Earth exists.

It HAS to. Logic itself would be defied if there wasn't.

Pick up a book and learn. We are nowhere near as special as you like to think we are. You're just arrogant.
Unread 6 years agoclass of '05 - away - #16
r a n c i d  space
Can't Touch This
space
$20,576 | POWERFUL
P Squared™ said:
I don't think you realize how large the universe is. There are hundreds of BILLIONS of galaxies in the universe, each of which have can have anywhere from millions of stars to billions of stars. There is no way that, of the Trillions of solar systems in the universe, ours is the only one in which an intelligent civilization has developed. Now obviously they cannot be significantly more developed than us because if they were, then wouldn't we have heard from them?
Are you that arrogant that you think "Meeting the human race" would be high up on the to-do list of an intelligent race at the other side of universe?
Unread 6 years agoclass of '04 - away - #17
ABSOLUTE STYLE  space
space
$1,869 | 1639961
stepyourgameup said:
i think they are saying it's THAT MANY just in OUR GALAXY ALONE.
Unread 6 years agoclass of '04 - away - #18
ABSOLUTE STYLE  space
space
$1,869 | 1639961
- the truth is out there. you can torrent this guy or listen on 790AM from 10pm-3am. show is very interesting with credible guest every night.

Last edited by ABSOLUTE STYLE; 02-05-2009 at 02:06 AM..
Unread 6 years agoclass of '05 - away - #19
r a n c i d  space
Can't Touch This
space
$20,576 | POWERFUL
ABSOLUTE STYLE said:
- the truth is out there. you can torrent this guy or listen on 790AM from 10pm-3am. show is very interesting with credible guest every night.
Don't bullsh*t people and make simple truth look like conspiracy.

Coasttocoast some times has good guests on. It also has ALOT of complete and utter lunatics on, most of which have no credibility.

Leave that C2C for another thread.
Unread 6 years agoclass of '04 - away - #20
ABSOLUTE STYLE  space
space
$1,869 | 1639961
r a n c i d said:
Don't bullsh*t people and make simple truth look like conspiracy.

Coasttocoast some times has good guests on. It also has ALOT of complete and utter lunatics on, most of which have no credibility.

Leave that C2C for another thread.
you might be right i just started listenin to it but it's been good lately. besides i'm just turnin people heads to show it's on every night about this. that show 2 nights ago where they had this guy on and talked about how he believes people's souls live 100's of lives, and he cures peoples illnesses by hypnotizing people and the soul responds and speaks of lifetimes before the person itself, and then cures those people of their physical and mental pain in the process. of course it's far from what one normally believes but it's very intriguing.

Last edited by ABSOLUTE STYLE; 02-05-2009 at 02:51 AM..

Home > all sections > BX Daily Bugle

join bx

that hot ish yesterday

most viewed right now
29 viewing
NBA Pacers to bench Roy Hibbert next season
41 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
26 viewing
Video inside Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Official Trailer
180 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
20 viewing
Video inside Instagram needs to extend their video time to 3 1/2 minutes maybe even 4
66 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
19 viewing
Image inside Would You Bone?
73 comments
@eyecandy
most viewed right now
17 viewing
Image inside Apr 17 - Bad Ass Chica Executed By Simp Bf
166 comments
@news
most viewed right now
13 viewing
Video inside Remember When The Mayor Of NY Maino, Was Riding Around NY Naked Listeni..
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
12 viewing
Video inside Young Thug - Constantly Hatin' ft. BirdMan (video)
85 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
11 viewing
Image inside Lil B And The Rest Of The Pack At Coachella...
46 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
10 viewing
Video inside Young Thug's Barter 6 Party In Hollygrove NO A Success, Wanye A No Show..
132 comments
@hiphop

^
contact us   |   bx@twitter   |   bx@facebook   |   privacy   |   search   |  © BX 1998-end of time