This is BX @ Boxden.com

Feb 20 - Human Intelligence is Declining According to Stanford Geneticist

Feb 20 - Human Intelligence is Declining According to Stanford Geneticist
topic by Shyne-C - 02-20-2013, 04:43 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Ever can’t help but think you’re surrounded by idiots? A leading scientist at Stanford University thinks he has the answer, and the bad news is things aren’t likely to get any better.

Dr. Gerald Crabtree, a geneticist at Stanford, has published a study that he conducted to try and identify the progression of modern man’s intelligence. As it turns out, however, Dr. Crabtree’s research led him to believe that the collective mind of mankind has been on more or a less a downhill trajectory for quite some time.

According to his research, published in two parts starting with last year’s ‘Our fragile intellect. Part I,’ Dr. Crabtree thinks unavoidable changes in the genetic make-up coupled with modern technological advances has left humans, well, kind of stupid. He has recently published his follow-up analysis, and in it explains that of the roughly 5,000 genes he considered the basis for human intelligence, a number of mutations over the years has forced modern man to be only a portion as bright as his ancestors.

“New developments in genetics, anthropology and neurobiology predict that a very large number of genes underlie our intellectual and emotional abilities, making these abilities genetically surprisingly fragile,” he writes in part one of his research. “Analysis of human mutation rates and the number of genes required for human intellectual and emotional fitness indicates that we are almost certainly losing these abilities,” he adds in his latest report.

From there, the doctor goes on to explain that general mutations over the last few thousand years have left mankind increasingly unable to cope with certain situations that perhaps our ancestors would be more adapted to.

“I would wager that if an average citizen from Athens of 1000 BC were to appear suddenly among us, he or she would be among the brightest and most intellectually alive of our colleagues and companions, with a good memory, a broad range of ideas, and a clear-sighted view of important issues. Furthermore, I would guess that he or she would be among the most emotionally st@ble of our friends and colleagues. I would also make this wager for the ancient inhabitants of Africa, Asia, India or the Americas, of perhaps 2000–6000 years ago. The basis for my wager comes from new developments in genetics, anthropology, and neurobiology that make a clear prediction that our intellectual and emotional abilities are genetically surprisingly fragile.”

According to the doctor, humans were at their most intelligent when “every individual was exposed to nature’s raw selective mechanisms on a daily basis.” Under those conditions, adaption, he argued, was much more of a matter than f!ght or flight. Rather, says the scientists, it was a sink or swim situation for generations upon generations.

"We, as a species, are surprisingly intellectually fragile and perhaps reached a peak 2,000 to 6,000 years ago," he writes. "If selection is only slightly relaxed, one would still conclude that nearly all of us are compromised compared to our ancient ancestors of 3,000 to 6,000 years ago.”

That doesn’t mean it’s all downhill, though. Dr. Crabtree says, “although our genomes are fragile, our society is robust almost entirely by virtue of education, which allow strengths to be rapidly distributed to all members."

"We have a long time to solve it. People 300 years ago had no idea where we'd be scientifically now," he says. "We'll be able to deal with this problem with a range of humane and ethical solutions."

Human intelligence is declining according to Stanford geneticist €” RT USA

Latest News Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

20 comments for "Feb 20 - Human Intelligence is Declining According to Stanford Geneticist"

02-20-2013, 04:47 PMaway - #2
Andrefrbk 696 heat pts696

d 
space
$17,676 | POWERFUL
When you have technology, shelter, and advanced protection from the wild obviously we are going to lose some of our intellect. But we gain intellect in other areas though.

niccas are supposed to be built for the wild, but we arnt. We cant all have muscles like Ronnie.
 02-20-2013, 05:19 PMaway - #3
william j hova 

d 
space
$125 | 1079428
I wonder if there were forced inoculations in the ancient times? what am i thinking.. of course they did!! It's only this generation and the previous one where it's forced to take it before being allowed to go to school. In My own unscientific opinion, the access to information today is a million times betther than what it was.
 02-20-2013, 08:37 PMaway - #4
Ni2 

d 
space
$4,226 | 13636450
its like he wrote this from the perspective of someone from 2000-6000 years ago. ya thats what you guys called intelligence. with the mutations of the genes theres a mutation of the situations. or vice versa rather. who cares if i cant cope emotionally with being a gladiator in ancient times. nowadays i can easily cope with that, they use foam pads and make money. sounds like a good job.
 02-21-2013, 08:06 AMaway - #5
bigsexyvu 

d 
space
$234 | 198224
Originally Posted by william j hova
I wonder if there were forced inoculations in the ancient times? what am i thinking.. of course they did!! It's only this generation and the previous one where it's forced to take it before being allowed to go to school. In My own unscientific opinion, the access to information today is a million times betther than what it was.
true but what do people use the internet for? Just [..] and cats
 02-21-2013, 08:49 AMaway - #6
VicDutch 76 heat pts76

d 
space
$3,152 | POWERFUL
LoL^

people are dumber these days because of technology.. a VERY rudimentary example, and one of my pet peeves, park a$sist. The tech. that helps people parallel park their car. That should be a fundamental skill, not an option. I've seen some!!poor attempts until the a$sist was used.

I'd say stop a$sisting people all the time, and instead, educate them so they learn how to do for themselves.

Lane detection? So if you drift out of your lane you're warned? Blind-spot detection so your car brakes for you? !! all that !!!! If you sleepy, get the !! off the road. If you can't look before you move, get the !! from behind the wheel. I've been driving legally for 15 years, illegally for 18+ and never had a incident like that. But that's because I've always taken driving as a serious matter... (but now i'm on a whole 'nother tangent about my pet peeves, i guess my dumbass is dumb for not staying on topic?)
 02-21-2013, 09:23 AMonline - #7
Youngporter 

d 
space
$1,196 | 3028649
true but what do people use the internet for? Just [..] and cats
damn shame
 02-21-2013, 09:40 AMonline - #8
Fras1788 146 heat pts146

d 
space
$8,719 | POWERFUL
The zionists are doing a great job
 02-21-2013, 10:22 AMaway - #9
ex-clu-sives 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,123 | 4567729
What is the point of basic human intelligence once technology has advanced to the point of breaching the machine-chemical/brain interface?

Does basic IQ matter when brain power is improved by machine?
 02-21-2013, 11:53 AMaway - #10
mrnew 

d 
space
$85 | 1428
No more critical thinking for the new generations thanks to google
 02-21-2013, 12:51 PMaway - #11
XxHeAtMaKeRxX 17 heat pts17

d 
space
$3,244 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by william j hova
maybe the access to a !! load of info is whats k!lling it

ppl want what they cant have and back then, youd have to go through greater lengths to get the info you were looking for. maybe that inaccessibility is what drove ppl to seek it more

now, you can google anything and you get hundreds of results in 0.012 seconds

ppl dont care anymore, imo
 02-21-2013, 01:14 PMaway - #12
Chief Dee 5 heat pts

d 
space
$10,025 | POWERFUL
This is true, once when I was a kid in 4th grade on the first day of class my teacher misspelled her name on the chalk board. I asked my grandma if teachers did that back in the day she told me in her southern accent, "nawl baby, niccas don' got plum stupid after 1948".
 02-21-2013, 01:15 PMaway - #13
Boo The Fool 3 heat pts

d 
space
$10,925 | POWERFUL
reads thread title and sees chief dee is the last post
 02-21-2013, 02:29 PMaway - #14
badboy600 10 heat pts10

d 
space
$4,057 | 10516493
This generation of teenagers just seem very stupid and lost to me.
 02-21-2013, 02:45 PMaway - #15
Michael 1987 609 heat pts609

d 
space
$54,501 | POWERFUL
 02-21-2013, 02:48 PMaway - #16
dsoul 

d 
space
$1,025 | 2463230
Originally Posted by XxHeAtMaKeRxX

ppl want what they cant have and back then, youd have to go through greater lengths to get the info you were looking for. maybe that inaccessibility is what drove ppl to seek it more

this

search engines on the internet=no retention
 02-21-2013, 03:28 PMaway - #17
Twelve 

d 
space
$1,750 | 9929888
Originally Posted by XxHeAtMaKeRxX

Instead of figuring it, a lot of people just google what they want to know. When you actually have to use your brain to figure some !! out you remember better than just reading directly how to do it.
 02-21-2013, 05:02 PMaway - #18
hoopslj 3 heat pts

d 
space
$542 | 4219231
I dont think having the internet makes us dumber. It's just what we use it for. For a while my fingers were so trained to go to facebook, nba.com, espn, and twitter that there were times I'd AUTOMATICALLY start typing it in as soon as I opened my browser.

I recently made a conscious effort to wean myself off of social media so I could stop focusing on others and on my own self.

But try as I may, I can't shake boxden. Y'all are comedic GOLD
 02-21-2013, 05:23 PMonline - #19
Ham Rove 1809 heat pts1809

d 
space
$34,269 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Chief Dee
This is true, once when I was a kid in 4th grade on the first day of class my teacher misspelled her name on the chalk board. I asked my grandma if teachers did that back in the day she told me in her southern accent, "nawl baby, niccas don' got plum stupid after 1948".
 02-21-2013, 07:47 PMaway - #20
xevin203 

d 
space
$92 | 136525
Originally Posted by VicDutch
LoL^

people are dumber these days because of technology.. a VERY rudimentary example, and one of my pet peeves, park a$sist. The tech. that helps people parallel park their car. That should be a fundamental skill, not an option. I've seen some!!poor attempts until the a$sist was used.

I'd say stop a$sisting people all the time, and instead, educate them so they learn how to do for themselves.

Lane detection? So if you drift out of your lane you're warned? Blind-spot detection so your car brakes for you? !! all that !!!! If you sleepy, get the !! off the road. If you can't look before you move, get the !! from behind the wheel. I've been driving legally for 15 years, illegally for 18+ and never had a incident like that. But that's because I've always taken driving as a serious matter... (but now i'm on a whole 'nother tangent about my pet peeves, i guess my dumbass is dumb for not staying on topic?)

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Video inside  Apr 22 - Christie vows not to legalize pot: New Jersey..
66 comments
Image inside  New Call of Duty info
50 comments
BOX Stephen A.: "Floyd Mayweather Will Destroy Pacquiao" ..
88 comments
  So Whats The Last Verse That Actually Made You Rewind ...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 83 comments - by d2921
 Image(s) inside My Dad Changed His Contact Info In My Phone And Preten...
New reply 2 minutes ago - 99 comments - by surreyjack
 Image(s) inside Just Blaze React's To Jay-z Alleged Extortion Plot
New reply 2 minutes ago - 93 comments - by SM
 Image(s) inside The Real Nike Re Stock In The Next 10 Days
New reply 3 minutes ago - 94 comments - by donmagic901
  Rappers That Never Took Off.
New reply 2 minutes ago - 199 comments - by YungPrinceNY
 Video inside Big Sean Makes History Doing Something Jay, Ye, Wayne ...
New reply 4 minutes ago - 72 comments - by PrimeLamboJr.
 Image(s) inside Here's A Good Reason To Not Shop At Kohl's
New reply 2 minutes ago - 51 comments - by justakidd
 NBA Miami Heat Owner Micky Arison When Asked Percentage Of...
New reply 5 minutes ago - 64 comments - by Motion

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,710 fans of BX | none new today 4,650 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.