This is BX @ Boxden.com

Dec 31 - Fiscal Cliff Deal Reached

Dec 31 - Fiscal Cliff Deal Reached
topic by bobbysteels18 - 12-31-2012, 10:07 PM - Boxden > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Fiscal Cliff Deal Reached: White House, Hill Leaders Agree To Delay Sequester By Two Months

WASHINGTON -- Three hours shy of the midnight deadline, the White House and congressional leaders reached a deal to avert the so-called fiscal cliff, several sources confirmed to The Huffington Post.

Under the deal brokered by Vice President Joe Biden and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), Congress would permanently extend the Bush income tax cuts at $400,000 and below, keep the estate tax threshold at $5 million and extend unemployment benefits for one year.

It would also temporarily delay the sequester -- i.e., billions of dollars in across-the-board spending cuts -- for another two months. The cost of continuing current spending levels will be paid for through an even mix of tax revenue increases and later spending cuts. Half of those cuts will come from defense spending; half will come from nondefense spending.

The deal includes other tax provisions as well: It extends the child tax credit and the college tuition credit for five years, individual and business tax extenders for two years, and the Medicare "doc fix" for one year. The Alternative Minimum Tax will be permanently fixed. The agreement also extends the farm bill for one year.

Notably, the fiscal package does nothing to address the debt ceiling, which the government just hit Monday. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner sent a letter to congressional leaders earlier in the day outlining emergency measures he can take to prevent the government from defaulting on the debt, but those measures will only delay default for a matter of weeks, until right around the time when lawmakers will have to address the sequester again. That sets up another major fiscal f!ght between the White House and Congress.

The deal still requires buy-in from members of both parties, and Biden was set to meet with Senate Democrats Monday night to try to sell them on the package. That could prove challenging given that key progressive groups, including the AFL-CIO, made it clear earlier Monday that they would oppose any deal that raised the income limit for extending the Bush tax cuts above $250,000.

Still, both Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) gave the deal their blessing Monday night in a phone call with President Barack Obama, sources confirmed.

A Pelosi aide suggested that while the House Democratic leader backs the proposal on the table, she isn't completely wedded to it.

"She's been supportive all along," said the aide. "Though if House Dems have serious problems, that could move her."

Reid spokesman Adam Jentleson said Senate Democrats would have preferred to push off the sequester for longer than two months, but Republicans wouldn't agree to that. The deal on the table is "what we could get," he said.

Jentleson lamented that the sequester and the debt ceiling will now need to be addressed at the same time, in a matter of months. "It's a lot to deal with," he said.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has been mum since the deal was announced. His spokesman did not respond to a request for comment.

This story is developing. More details will be provided as they become available.

Fiscal Cliff Deal Reached: White House, Hill Leaders Agree To Delay Sequester By Two Months

Latest News Hot Topics    share this topic    Share this on Twitter Share this on Facebook

28 comments for "Dec 31 - Fiscal Cliff Deal Reached"

01-01-2013, 10:33 AMaway - #2
Freemind 41 heat pts41

d 
space
$8,868 | POWERFUL
So you can go another year on unemployment... We'll gain less than $100 billion from tax revenue... And we still haven't done any real spending cuts.

This country is ####ed.. At least i ain't gettin my taxes bumped.
 01-01-2013, 06:22 PMaway - #3
SpyDa 154 heat pts154

d 
space
$9,628 | POWERFUL
how can i check if my taxs being bumped up ?
 01-01-2013, 06:57 PMaway - #4
iPunish901 12 heat pts12

d 
space
$12,840 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Freemind
So you can go another year on unemployment... We'll gain less than $100 billion from tax revenue... And we still haven't done any real spending cuts.

yea i figured this would happen, them ni##as cant agree on anything to make an impact, but im also glad my taxes didnt go up. its selfish, but thats all i was looking for.
 01-01-2013, 07:34 PMaway - #5
Yung Dilla 1214 heat pts1214

d 
space
$41,666 | POWERFUL
Sorry for being stupid but what the hell does all this mean?? lol
 01-01-2013, 08:26 PMaway - #6
NiMaD 1 heat pts

d 
space
$1,289 | 3966476
They just pushed this through past Jan 01 cause they knew tax increases where gonna happen that day no matter what. Now they can claim they signed to reduce taxes (back to what it was)

Just checked my check stub for the check I will get on fri and they took out 2X as much SS, Fed and State and 4X as much medicare. WTF. I even had OT so its like i didn't lol
 01-01-2013, 08:33 PMonline - #7
nightmare 416 heat pts416

d 
space
$12,700 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by NiMaD
They just pushed this through past Jan 01 cause they knew tax increases where gonna happen that day no matter what. Now they can claim they signed to reduce taxes (back to what it was)

Just checked my check stub for the check I will get on fri and they took out 2X as much SS, Fed and State and 4X as much medicare. WTF. I even had OT so its like i didn't lol
welp at least the #### will work retroactively
 01-01-2013, 09:03 PMaway - #8
SoFresh170 23 heat pts23

d 
space
$9,981 | POWERFUL
Im lost. Will wait till someone explains this
 01-01-2013, 09:04 PMaway - #9
Sean McDevitt 4 heat pts

d 
space
$6,738 | 15313591
Originally Posted by Freemind

somehow i always agree with this guy
 01-01-2013, 09:18 PMaway - #10
Bama Boy 76 heat pts76

d 
space
$49,725 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by SpyDa
how can i check if my taxs being bumped up ?
Do you make over 400k a year?
 01-01-2013, 09:22 PMaway - #11
Andrefrbk 773 heat pts773

d 
space
$18,922 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Yung Dilla
Sorry for being stupid but what the hell does all this mean?? lol
It means c#ck in a$s. Spread wide.

Basically poor will continue to becoing poorer.
Middle class will continue to join the poor.
And rich will pay a small amount still in comparison to the rest of US.
The budget is bloated, and obama aka cool shade niggr will get the $40B+ dollars in jets he ordered a couple months ago.

01-01-2013, 09:24 PMonline - #12
nightmare 416 heat pts416

d 
space
$12,700 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Andrefrbk
It means c#ck in a$s. Spread wide.

Basically poor will continue to becoing poorer.
Middle class will continue to join the poor.
And rich will pay a small amount still in comparison to the rest of US.
The budget is bloated, and obama aka cool shade niggr will get the $40B+ dollars in jets he ordered a couple months ago.

im going to have to agree
 01-01-2013, 10:09 PMaway - #13
Kadillac87 197 heat pts197

d 
space
$14,333 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by SoFresh170
Im lost. Will wait till someone explains this
Basically no matter who you are, your taxes will go up. If you take home a paycheck, you will take home less money due to the payroll tax cut expiring. If you earn over $400,000, your income taxes will go up. If you have money in stocks, your capital gain taxes will go up.

And in another two months, we will have another fiscal cliff debate with spending cuts and the debt ceiling.

01-01-2013, 11:46 PMaway - #14
SpyDa 154 heat pts154

d 
space
$9,628 | POWERFUL
Originally Posted by Bama Boy
Do you make over 400k a year?
nope
 01-02-2013, 12:05 AMaway - #15
GUCCI C0ND0MS 

d 
space
$264 | 529353
Originally Posted by Kadillac87
Basically no matter who you are, your taxes will go up. If you take home a paycheck, you will take home less money due to the payroll tax cut expiring. If you earn over $400,000, your income taxes will go up. If you have money in stocks, your capital gain taxes will go up.

And in another two months, we will have another fiscal cliff debate with spending cuts and the debt ceiling.

this....

people up in here acting like #### is sweet and your taxes aren't going up, they are going up because the payroll tax cut has expired and this deal does nothing to address that...

notice how in all the headlines all they mention is that income taxes are going up for people that make 400k+, which affects less than 1% of America, yet they only mention that everyone taking home a paycheck including the poor and middle classes will have their taxes bumped later on in the article...they know most people just skim thru articles and just read the headlines and ####, they don't want everyone to really know about this #### for real...
 01-02-2013, 12:41 AMaway - #16
Leezee 

d 
space
$1,140 | 5728204
Should have let the banks gone broke when we had the chance. It would have been though but we could have started over from scratch. Build a new sensible system instead of always trying to patch up lost cause.
 01-02-2013, 03:44 AMaway - #17
dnycem 

d 
space
$9,591 | POWERFUL
Just seen my pay stub for my paycheck this weekend
 01-02-2013, 04:05 AMaway - #18
ham00di 30 heat pts30

d 
space
$1,432 | 17910645
"Fiscal Cliff Deal" why do Americans give everything a movie title, it should REALLY say we owe over 16 Trillion Dollars and we need raise our debts further, keep it up because at one point the Creditors will say time to repay us!

Assume you have an account with Debt and everytime you get close to the top you raise it so you can borrow more, so you borrow thousands and say to everyone im okay honestly im going to cut my spending by Dollars lol Eventually the bank is gonna say hey there no more money for you until you start repaying some of your debt.
 01-02-2013, 05:23 AMaway - #19
TB 54 heat pts54

d 
space
$13,150 | POWERFUL
they not paying china back, i don't think they plan on it either, i see a war before i see china fully being repaid cause that seems to be the going rate, just my $0.02 though
 01-02-2013, 07:11 AMaway - #20
P-Hill|M 16 heat pts16

d 
space
$26,159 | POWERFUL
They already taking too much out my pay checks... now they're going to take more?

Go Back   Boxden.Com - Stay First. Follow BX. > BX Table Of Contents > BX Daily Bugle - news and headlines

Latest hot topics on fire the past 48 hrs
Article inside  2014 Fall Television Schedule
59 comments
BOX Floyd mayweather making major changes to his team
104 comments
NFL Buffalobills.com
57 comments
 NBA D Wade The Years You Might Have Missed
New reply 28 seconds ago - 74 comments - by I hug the strip
 Video inside Young Thug Still Plans To Carry On "tha Carter&qu...
New reply 6 minutes ago - 75 comments - by Danny M
  Rappers That You Used To Bump Heavy But Then Completel...
New reply 1 minute ago - 268 comments - by Slickems
 NBA Bardley Beal Looking Jacked (pic)
New reply 13 minutes ago - 56 comments - by st21
 Image(s) inside :kanyewhatisthis: ???
New reply 2 minutes ago - 179 comments - by Solitary Genius
 NBA Cleveland Cavaliers Interested In Roy Hibbert
New reply 20 minutes ago - 95 comments - by metatr0n
 Image(s) inside This Picture Is Madd Suspect...dr. Dre & Ll Cool J
New reply 6 minutes ago - 56 comments - by blacdood
  Name Songs Where A Rapper Tried To Create The Same Hit...
New reply 28 minutes ago - 101 comments - by OswaldBatesJr

Like BX on Facebook Follow BX on Twitter
5,766 fans of BX | none new today 4,746 following | none new today

hot topic blog       hip-hop   |   sports   |   movies   |   games   |   news   |   wild'ish   |   gear   |   rides   |   tech

contact us   |   mobile   |   privacy statement

Boxden.com. 1998 - end of time.